Moore or Craig longest serving?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited August 2017 Posts: 16,330
    Wrong thread. Delete.
    Minion wrote: »
    The_Donald wrote: »
    Both 1983 & even Sean voicing FRWL debunk the notion of a 'serving Bond'. But @RC7 and others just ignore that.

But Sean wasn't the face of Bond then. NSNA uses characters from Ian Fleming, but its EON's franchise that represents the face of Bond in the public's eye. NSNA was a nostalgia piece. Likewise, the FRWL game was a throwback as well. No one in their right mind would think that a video game remake of a 1963 movie means Sean Connery is the new face of Bond. No, if you asked someone who Bond was when that came out, they'd still say Pierce Brosnan.

The reason Dalton's tenure is being considered past LTK's release is because his likeness was still being used for merchandise. He was the face of the franchise until his official resignation.

Sorry to tell you but NSNA (crap though it mostly is) is just as much as Bond film as any other in Joe Blogg's mind, who won't likely know or care about the background. And in fact it is a Bond film. EON or not is irrelevant.

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,165
    Sorry to say but that doesn't retroactively mean Sean was still serving as Bond between 1971 and 1983. Sean's run is 1962-1967, then briefly again in 1971. He again returned in 1983 for a single film, and lent his voice to a video game in 2005. That doesn't mean he's been an active Bond actor for 43 years. That means he was actively Bond for 5 or 9 years based on how you want to cut it with Lazenby, and then he was done. Coming back for a one off movie and a video game doesn't fill in those blanks.
    Both 1983 & even Sean voicing FRWL debunk the notion of a 'serving Bond'. But @RC7 and others just ignore that.

But Sean wasn't the face of Bond then. NSNA uses characters from Ian Fleming, but its EON's franchise that represents the face of Bond in the public's eye. NSNA was a nostalgia piece. Likewise, the FRWL game was a throwback as well. No one in their right mind would think that a video game remake of a 1963 movie means Sean Connery is the new face of Bond. No, if you asked someone who Bond was when that came out, they'd still say Pierce Brosnan.

The reason Dalton's tenure is being considered past LTK's release is because his likeness was still being used for merchandise. He was the face of the franchise until his official resignation.

Sorry to tell you but NSNA (crap though it mostly is) is just as much as Bond film as any other in Joe Blogg's mind, who won't likely know or care about the background. And in fact it is a Bond film. EON or not is irrelevant.

No,the fact it is not an official Bond film is TOTALLY relevant.
    If it is not an official film its not Bond.

If we think like you then you could put a tuxedo on a dog,call it James Bond,and it is a James Bond film and must enter the field along with FRWL,CR,OHMSS etc etc
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,165
    @barryt007 Exactly. Now, if Sean had buggered off with Kevin McClory and launched their own James Bond franchise that ran along side EON's, only then would you have an argument that there's some gray area there.
  • RC7RC7
    You can fight amongst yourselves, but I stand by the fact Craig will be regarded as the longest serving Bond within the press/media and subsequently the public and no amount of semantic gymnastics will change that. It's the way it will be, so get used to it. Would I rather it was Roger, of course, but that's the way it goes.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »
    There must be idiots that think Daniel Craig is a secret agent in real life, doing missions between the films, 'serving as Bond' haha.

And all those people who get a painting of Spitfire for 40 years service in their chosen profession, when actually they've only served 30 if you take into account holidays and weekends. The bloody charlatans.

It's called a real job...in the real world

You know Daniel Craig isn't really a spy, right?

Well on the YOLT poster they wrote 'Sean Connery IS James Bond 007' so I'm confused now? Does this mean he's been Bond all his life so Dan needs to keep going until he's 86 (and counting) to overtake him?

Strange how you're so keen to make the (correct) semantic distinction that NSNA is a Bond film (merely not an EON Bond film) but are reluctant to apply the same logic to the term 'longest serving' which you seem to have arbitrarily decided actually means 'most films.'

Can't have it both ways sunshine.
  • RC7RC7
    There must be idiots that think Daniel Craig is a secret agent in real life, doing missions between the films, 'serving as Bond' haha.

And all those people who get a painting of Spitfire for 40 years service in their chosen profession, when actually they've only served 30 if you take into account holidays and weekends. The bloody charlatans.

Well on the YOLT poster they wrote 'Sean Connery IS James Bond 007' so I'm confused now? Does this mean he's been Bond all his life so Dan needs to keep going until he's 86 (and counting) to overtake him?

You've got me bang to rights.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

You've got me bang to rights.

But Pierce is listed as James Bond on the DAD poster, so we have a massive problem on our hands.
    Well James Bond is just a codename...

*runs for cover*

*runs for cover*

Christ

*runs for cover*

Christ

I like @Minion ,I think he will fit in here perfectly haha
    "True Bond fans."

Pray tell, what makes a true Bond fan?
    A true Bond fan:
    1. Considers Serra's GoldenEye score superior to ANY of the David Arnold scores.
    2. Believes that DAD is one of the two best Bond films starring Brosnan.
    3. Likes DN more than FRWL and GF.
    4. Does not want to see Blofeld appear in a Bond film ever again.
    5. Hopes that one day Sir Christopher Nolan will write AND direct a Bond trilogy.

You'll not take offence I trust when I look elsewhere for someone to give me advice on what constitutes a true Bond fan:
    As someone who hasn't read any of the Fleming novels, the word "Shatterhand" doesn't mean anything to me. I think it would be an awful title, it just sounds corny and bad

barryt007 wrote: »

*runs for cover*

Christ

I like @Minion ,I think he will fit in here perfectly haha

:D
  • RC7RC7
    "True Bond fans."

A true Bond fan:
    1. Considers Serra's GoldenEye score superior to ANY of the David Arnold scores.
    5. Hopes that one day Sir Christopher Nolan will write AND direct a Bond trilogy.

You'll not take offence I trust when I look elsewhere for someone to give me advice on what constitutes a true Bond fan:
    As someone who hasn't read any of the Fleming novels, the word "Shatterhand" doesn't mean anything to me. I think it would be an awful title, it just sounds corny and bad

Burn. As the kids say.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    "True Bond fans."

A true Bond fan:
    I wonder if Sir Christopher is a true Bond fan. Maybe he's one of them fakes.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 170
    Its difficult to perform the mental gymnastics required to bypass common sense. According to you, Dalton was Bond for 8 years. Sound sensible?

Wizard, I don't see how the 2 are incompatible.

It only makes sense to talk about number of films, not years.

I'm shocked this is still even being contended.

Moore will have done more films than Craig.
    Craig will have officially played Bond longer than Moore.

There's nothing to really argue about that. That's plain fact.
    I think it's sort of ironic, since Moore and Craig's Bonds are so different, that they became the longest-serving ones. It still makes sense though, since they are each amazing in their own right!
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Correct. Just belligerence.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Who gives a $***? Let people go by what they want to go by and shut up. Christ.
    I am curious if Moore will ever be topped in number of films, given the method of having one installment every other year is pretty unlikely these days.
    I am curious if Moore will ever be topped in number of films, given the method of having one installment every other year is pretty unlikely these days.

Don't think it will happen. I'll go a step further and say Craig's run of 5 won't be topped anytime soon, and whoever does Bond next won't have more than 4.

That is patently false.
  • RC7RC7

No. Don't think it will ever happen.
    I still think Craig might do a 6th....I cant explain it,i just feel he might,if BOND25 does extra extra well..and only a short gap of 2 years.

I know I am normally not a silly predictionalist but the chance to equal Connery.......

That is patently false.

Please elaborate. We're all ears.
    "True Bond fans."

A true Bond fan:

Burn. As the kids say.

There was Hitchslap, now there's Wizslap.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote: »
    "True Bond fans."

A true Bond fan:

Burn. As the kids say.

There was Hitchslap, now there's Wizslap.

God, I miss Hitch. (See what I did there?)

That is patently false.

It's literal fact. Not sure how someone can disagree with that.
This discussion has been closed.