Moore or Craig longest serving?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512
    "True Bond fans."

img_0427-0.jpg?w=696

Pray tell, what makes a true Bond fan?

Apparently @The_Donald is in possession of the 'Bond Fan' manifesto. Mein Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The fact is, Bond actors are Bond for life, but they are the face of the series until they officially step down/are replaced. Dalton's face is front and centre on Bond merchandise of the early/mid 1990's, in the same way that Brosnan was still the face of Bond up until 2005 (covering, most notably, his involvment in the 007: Everything Or Nothing game from 2004*)

*As in 1 year and 3 months after his last released Bond film.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Craig will have spent the most time in the role of Bond but the time disparities between the releases of his Bond films will probably keep him from being widely considered the longest-serving Bond. Whereas the late Sir Roger Moore kept up a very continuous effort to pump out the movies (I don't think any of the other Bond actors enjoyed the role as much as he did) and averaged a Bond movie every two years. He'll probably be remembered as the longest-serving Bond in the more meaningful context. Moore's seven movies will still be the standard for longevity, in my opinion, not Craig's number of years as Bond.

The situation might change if Craig makes a sixth a few years down the line, but I doubt that will happen.
  • RC7RC7
    Craig will have spent the most time in the role of Bond but the time disparities between the releases of his Bond films will probably keep him from being widely considered the longest-serving Bond. Whereas the late Sir Roger Moore kept up a very continuous effort to pump out the movies (I don't think any of the other Bond actors enjoyed the role as much as he did) and averaged a Bond movie every two years. He'll probably be remembered as the longest-serving Bond in the more meaningful context. Moore's seven movies will still be the standard for longevity, in my opinion, not Craig's number of years as Bond.

The situation might change if Craig makes a sixth a few years down the line, but I doubt that will happen.

There are no time disparities. Longest serving is exactly what it says. If I serve 15 years in the Army and I'm involved in, let's say two minor conflicts and my grandfather spends 6 years in the army between 19-39-45, I've still served longer. Roger's legacy isn't tainted by this for those panicking.
    @TheWhiteTuxedo These are interesting observations and they make me reevaluate my initial position on it. But how do we fit Sean Connery, who came back twice (although once in a competing film to the franchise) or Dalton who struggled to be accepted as Bond until he was replaced after a long hiatus?
    I know which side is claiming Dalton spent 8 years as Bond, and it ain't mine. It's a simple choice between common sense or accepting idiocy.
    Not THE @TheWhiteTuxedo from way back in our KTBEU days ?!
    Benny wrote: »
    I base it on how many films they each have under their belt myself.
    Sir Rog - 7
    Connery - 6
    Craig - 5 (After Bond 25 is released)
    Brozza - 4
    T.Dalt - 2
    George Lazenby -1

The same as me Benny. That's how I look at it too.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    I base it on how many films they each have under their belt myself.
    Sir Rog - 7
    Connery - 6
    Craig - 5 (After Bond 25 is released)
    Brozza - 4
    T.Dalt - 2
    George Lazenby -1

The same as me Benny. That's how I look at it too.

+1
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    It looks like this debate hasn't been settled yet which is surprising.

Craig will win by numeric number of days, Roger wins by number of films, and Roger wins in my subjective heart of hearts because I love the guy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RC7 wrote: »
    The_Donald wrote: »
    Bond is a fictional character only existing in the films he appears in. There is no such thing as 'being Bond' between films, only in films. For true Bond fans, sitting on your arse twiddling your thumbs does not count as 'serving as Bond'.

For true Bond fans, and all those of common sense, Sir Roger is the longest serving Bond.

Hey @Thunderfinger, apparently we're not 'true fans'. No offense, but I always had you down as a fake fan.

I admit it. I am just here to annoy the real fans by telling it as it is.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »

Craig will win by numeric number of days

Exactly. This discussion is hilarious. Longest serving is purely numeric re. days. It reminds me of the religion thread. 'Well, I'm not a big fan of factual evidence, I believe what makes me feel better'. Longest Serving = Craig. Most films = Rog. That's what the text books will say.
    Bond is a fictional character only existing in the films he appears in. There is no such thing as 'being Bond' between films, only in films. For true Bond fans, sitting on your arse twiddling your thumbs does not count as 'serving as Bond'.

For true Bond fans, and all those of common sense, Sir Roger is the longest serving Bond.

Hey @Thunderfinger, apparently we're not 'true fans'. No offense, but I always had you down as a fake fan.

Keep it up, please.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Sorry I meant @TheWizardOfIce !! I blame my mobile.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »

Sorry I meant @TheWizardOfIce !! I blame my mobile.

Aaah shame...we used to have a mod on the old site called The White Tuxedo...coincidence eh ? haha !!

bondjames wrote: »

Craig will win by numeric number of days

Exactly. This discussion is hilarious. Longest serving is purely numeric re. days. It reminds me of the religion thread. 'Well, I'm not a big fan of factual evidence, I believe what makes me feel better'. Longest Serving = Craig. Most films = Rog. That's what the text books will say.

Keep it up, please.

Both Connery and Dalton are oddities if you count by the number of days though. But @TheWizardOfIce really made me reconsider my initial position on the subject. In any case it's fascinating to see how Craig and Moore mirror each other in that particular aspect of their Bond career.
    There must be idiots that think Daniel Craig is a secret agent in real life, doing missions between the films, 'serving as Bond' haha.
  • RC7RC7
    There must be idiots that think Daniel Craig is a secret agent in real life, doing missions between the films, 'serving as Bond' haha.

And all those people who get a painting of Spitfire for 40 years service in their chosen profession, when actually they've only served 30 if you take into account holidays and weekends. The bloody charlatans.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 684
    For those who favour the 'announcement to announcement' theory (and logically there is indeed a lot of merit in it - after all for the last two years in the eyes of the public Dan has still been the incumbent Bond) then how to we treat someone who announces that this is their final film?

Given Dan has stated this is it doesn't his tenure end on the day the film wraps not the release date? Once it's in the can he's no longer Bond. The release date is irrelevant because if you live in the UK Dan's tenure ends in late October. If you live in the US early November. If you live in Japan or somewhere it could early January.

He have will have been Bond from the CR announcement on the thames until the culmination of filming B25 which he has been pre announced as the end of his tenure so still fits the announcement theory.

Rog's tenure can be allowed to extend beyond wrapping AVTAK if the 3rd December is accurate as there was every chance he could have returned and the public were not sold AVTAK as his final film.
    @TheWizardOfIce An interesting way of looking at Dan's last film and one I'm not necessarily opposed to. Imagine going to see YOLT back in '67. We'd have to apply the same 'final film intent' to Connery here, as he made perfectly clear in the press prior to the film he wasn't coming back. You'd most certainly be sitting in the theater with a 'dead man walking' impression rather than a 'he will soon no longer be Bond' impression.
    So the question is what date does B25 need to wrap by for Dan to beat or not beat Rog?
    Rog served 4873 days (inclusive).

Dan was announced 14 October 2005.

4874 days on from then will be 17 February 2019.

And all those people who get a painting of Spitfire for 40 years service in their chosen profession, when actually they've only served 30 if you take into account holidays and weekends. The bloody charlatans.

It's called a real job...in the real world
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Strog wrote: »
    For those who favour the 'announcement to announcement' theory (and logically there is indeed a lot of merit in it - after all for the last two years in the eyes of the public Dan has still been the incumbent Bond) then how to we treat someone who announces that this is their final film?

Given Dan has stated this is it doesn't his tenure end on the day the film wraps not the release date? Once it's in the can he's no longer Bond. The release date is irrelevant because if you live in the UK Dan's tenure ends in late October. If you live in the US early November. If you live in Japan or somewhere it could early January.

He have will have been Bond from the CR announcement on the thames until the culmination of filming B25 which he has been pre announced as the end of his tenure so still fits the announcement theory.

Rog's tenure can be allowed to extend beyond wrapping AVTAK if the 3rd December is accurate as there was every chance he could have returned and the public were not sold AVTAK as his final film.
    @TheWizardOfIce An interesting way of looking at Dan's last film and one I'm not necessarily opposed to. Imagine going to see YOLT back in '67. We'd have to apply the same 'final film intent' to Connery here, as he made perfectly clear in the press prior to the film he wasn't coming back. You'd most certainly be sitting in the theater with a 'dead man walking' impression rather than a 'he will soon no longer be Bond' impression.
    So the question is what date does B25 need to wrap by for Dan to beat or not beat Rog?

So if we accept my theory above (and I'm not being as presumptuous as to suggest we should) then Rog will still be comfortably in the clear as no way B25 will be wrapped by then.

So is being an actor.
  • RC7RC7

You know Daniel Craig isn't really a spy, right?
    Strog wrote: »

So if we accept my theory above (and I'm not being as presumptuous as to suggest we should) then Rog will still be comfortably in the clear as no way B25 will be wrapped by then.

I totally see the logic in your theory, Wiz, but I guess for me I'm stating what I see becoming the 'facts', whether we agree with them or not. Post B25, any Bond literature or press with regard to Craig will determine that he's the longest serving.

That's what you must think because you count him as Bond even when he's not appearing in a film.

This whole thread is an insult to Sir Roger. He committed to making a film every 2 years, while Craig turns up when he feels like it.
  • RC7RC7

That's what you must think because you count him as Bond even when he's not appearing in a film.

This whole thread is an insult to Sir Roger. He committed to making a film every 2 years, while Craig turns up when he feels like it.

Actually what seems to have happened here is that you have some sort of beef with Craig. Moore is my favourite Bond but I've accepted the generally held view will be that Craig will hold the title for 'longest tenure' post B25. Best to get over it now.

Oh, and don't make out like Rog was some kind of Saint (no pun intended). Cubby kept the series ticking. Rog nearly went on several occasions until Cubby relented and paid up.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Sir Roger eventually was only on a 1 film rolling contract as well.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I think the problem with defining the end of an era as when the cameras stop rolling on a pre-announced final film (ala DC with B25) is that it doesn't really fit with the public perception that the actor is still Bond. Apart from those of us who follow the making of the films closely, your average moviegoer won't know if the film has wrapped and so will still regard the actor as Bond. That is why I chose release date as the end of the era.

Another way of looking at it is to regard the end of the era as when the actor's promotional obligations expire. I imagine DC is contractually obliged to plug the film for a certain time period after release. So I would say, if you want to be really picky, that the era ends when the contract is discharged.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    30 years: Connery Bond in THE ROCK.
    14 months: Brosnan Bond in DIE ANOTHER DAY.
    The rest: negligible.
    Both 1983 & even Sean voicing FRWL debunk the notion of a 'serving Bond'. But @RC7 and others just ignore that.

Bond is a character who is played in films (and features in books of course). You don't get Craig turning up for interviews in character. The only sensible measure of longevity is number of films.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I'm going with number of films,always have,so i'm happy and content with that...Dan will need one more to equal Sean and two to equal Roger.

And dare I say it,three to be the longest serving Bond ;)
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,619
    "True Bond fans."

Pray tell, what makes a true Bond fan?
    A true Bond fan:
    1. Considers Serra's GoldenEye score superior to ANY of the David Arnold scores.
    2. Believes that DAD is one of the two best Bond films starring Brosnan.
    3. Likes DN more than FRWL and GF.
    4. Does not want to see Blofeld appear in a Bond film ever again.
    5. Hopes that one day Sir Christopher Nolan will write AND direct a Bond trilogy.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,165
    Both 1983 & even Sean voicing FRWL debunk the notion of a 'serving Bond'. But @RC7 and others just ignore that.

But Sean wasn't the face of Bond then. NSNA uses characters from Ian Fleming, but its EON's franchise that represents the face of Bond in the public's eye. NSNA was a nostalgia piece. Likewise, the FRWL game was a throwback as well. No one in their right mind would think that a video game remake of a 1963 movie means Sean Connery is the new face of Bond. No, if you asked someone who Bond was when that came out, they'd still say Pierce Brosnan.

The reason Dalton's tenure is being considered past LTK's release is because his likeness was still being used for merchandise. He was the face of the franchise until his official resignation.

I personally subscribe to drawing a line between days served and number of films and saying Craig served the longest, and Sir Rog has the most official entries. It sounds like you're just being ornery.
This discussion has been closed.