How do you listen to music?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2021 Posts: 23,105
    Sainsbury's stops selling CDs and DVDs
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/business-57763301.amp
    Another nail in the coffin of physical media, where I live Sainsbury's is one of the few places left where I can purchase Bluray's etc on the High street.

I have only one supermarket in my hometown where I can buy CD's and a reasonably good selection of Blu-rays/DVDs from. Or I think so, as I haven't been there in a long time. A bit sad really that there aren't more stores offering physical media, but these days I prefer doing my physical media shopping online anyway.

It is inevitable the high street shops have been in demise for some time now, physical media hopefully will be available for some time to come.

Could you image if all digital media became inaccessible that is a lot of money down drain the drain, I never feel like I truly own digital Media despite buying a lot of it.

Late reply to this one: Indeed, physical media looks to be in a real decline – at least in ordinary street shops. I imagine stuff like collectors releases (Critierion etc) will still have a future (at least for a while).

Digital media becoming inaccessible is a bit of a worry for me as well. The releases I feel are important to own, I try to get a physical copy of. The digital downloads I have are mostly titles I just find cool to own.
    The stream deck is amazing, so many things you can do with it.

Setting up a Spotify control feature on it at the moment. Also started to create a jukebox section to play any of my native music with the press of a button.

The multi function buttons are great, for example soon as I open a Graphic Design app it sends a signal to automatically turn the stream deck into the hotkeys for that specific App.

That deck looks like an interesting gadget. Of all the features you listed, which one do you think you'll get the most use out of?

So far mainly music, I spent hours programming it and customising it yesterday. The buttons are infinite and can be all animated. I have put a few animations on keys. Re: My Matrix Reloaded Album all the keys for the tracks are animated Matrix code lol

A long way to go with using the full capabilities though already set up a System key folder for CMD window, hibernate, sleep, shut down keys etc. This thing speeds things up tremendously.

I have set up a web page subsection with a key for all the regular sites I visit so instant access to sites, no scrolling anymore through favourites etc.

I have a sub menu for native films and TV on my PC for instant play for each at the press of a button and set up a control panel on it to control which ever media is playing... play, stop, volume, mute fast forward etc. The great thing is you can add any icon you want I already had a folder with loads of icons I have downloaded over the years and went online looked for more yesterday.

Its an amazing gadget and the functionality is far more than what I have set up so far. It's usually around £150 got this for £95 in sale, money well spent for me I love gadgets.

Edited:Just learnt how to set up a key for individual folders re: a key per image folder... click of a button opens my Bond Art folder without navigating anything.

Just added the first 3 Bond soundtracks to my Jukebox section, with album art on every key including tracks lol. I like the retro mechanical key aspect of clicking through my music this way.

Awesome just programmed all the GIMP hot keys into the Stream Deck, as soon as I open GIMP 2.8 App the Stream Deck displays all the tools on the buttons, when I close the app the Stream Deck reverts to my Default profile on the Stream Deck automatically. This would be ideal for you @Torgeirtrap
    …I am struggling to find a GIMP Icon pack with individual images of tools to place on the Stream Deck keys to identify each tool.

Worse case scenario I could get a high res image of all the Tools and cut individually though that is time consuming.

Edited: I found a Photoshop Icon pack on the Elgato store, 70 Icons in total many are the same as GIMP hopefully all I need will be there. [-O<

Edited: I ended up cutting each individual icon from a high res image, it actually looks pretty good...

7m8Crvw.jpg

B8jYU8E.jpg

5izwL8f.jpg

Really happy with these @Torgeirtrap turned out better than expected.

I will change the look of the arrow keys when I find some I like.

Wow! Really impressive functionalities, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns!

I'd be tempted to give this deck a try – most of all because I'm terrible at remembering the shortcuts in the Adobe programs I use. In Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, the same functionalities might have different shortcuts, which is very annoying when you switch between the programs – something that I usually do daily.

Will the deck be able to switch button setup if you jump from one app/program to another if both are still open?

Yeah you can set up a different control panel for an infinite amount of apps re: Photoshop or Spotify. Each control panel is a individual seperate profile, so when you open Photoshop a sequence of steps are activated that automatically changes the Stream Deck into the Photoshop tool box.

A couple of the Gimp tools don't have workable hot keys though it let's me create my own which I will do when I get chance. You can create infinite profiles, I have a quick access subsection where I can select anyone of them. I will create different looking main profiles ie just like changing pc wallpaper though far more in depth.

That's really cool! How do you scroll/switch from one set of controls to another when using GIMP, for example?

I have an arrow to press on each page that takes me to the next set of tools on the next page of keys.

Whilst in GIMP if I want to go to my main profile homepage I have a key to press that will take me directly there and another programmed key to take me back to the GIMP tools profile.

Nice. Programs like Photoshop and Illustrator have so many tools and shortcuts, that you need multiple sets of keys to navigate through.

Have you noticed any drawbacks with the deck now that you've had it for some days?

I will set up other profiles for other programs on my days off.

No draw backs at all in fact I am constantly surprised by what other cool stuff it can do, there are hundreds of Stream Deck videos on YouTube, I have already watched several videos already, thinking of programming it to do other things from tomorrow (got 6 days off).

Its money well spent and with one main profile complete (gone for a animated blue/silver design) it looks great aesthetically.
    be1VEMR.jpg
    Above is the home screen, all the keys are animated, not the best of photo's lighting not great.

I plan on making a James Bond main profile so all the keys are James Bond themed.
    @Torgeirtrap I have started building my Bond Album Jukebox...

SvQj59x.jpg

The keys are crystal clear for me though getting glare on my camera, the keys do look great.

This looks great! Having you favourite (Bond) albums available like that is handy. Not that pulling up Spotify, finding the album you want to listen to and press play is time consuming, but still. Actually, connecting this one with Spotify and making a playlist feature could be cool. Have you connected the deck with any other gadgets, speakers, etc. yet?

The Spotify link up is really good apparently though only works if you subscribe to Spotify (I only have the free version).

Only connected to PC so far though need to set up IFTTT so it will control my smart home.

I just like the old school functionality of pressing buttons, selecting Album tracks reminds me of an old school jukebox.

I got Spotify Premium, so that functionality should work fine then. I imagine this deck will work really well with music and home media :-)
    :)) Just learnt how to add sound effects to every key action, oh man going to have fun with this. I have already made my own sound board, going to make my own James Bond sound board also.

My Audacity software is going to come in handy.

Haha, that deck of yours will be the ultimate tool by the looks of it!

I am tempted to get Spotify free trial just to see what the functionality is like using the stream Deck.

Just added this sound effect to my screen off button, which then activates a Batman Wallpaper screen on the Stream Deck. :))

There are Multi Action and Multi Action Switch settings, where one click of a button can send multiple commands. So for example one click could open five apps at once, switch microphone on, dim the lights in the living room etc etc. Very clever gadget for automation.
    Sainsbury's stops selling CDs and DVDs
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/business-57763301.amp
    Another nail in the coffin of physical media, where I live Sainsbury's is one of the few places left where I can purchase Bluray's etc on the High street.

I have only one supermarket in my hometown where I can buy CD's and a reasonably good selection of Blu-rays/DVDs from. Or I think so, as I haven't been there in a long time. A bit sad really that there aren't more stores offering physical media, but these days I prefer doing my physical media shopping online anyway.

It is inevitable the high street shops have been in demise for some time now, physical media hopefully will be available for some time to come.

Could you image if all digital media became inaccessible that is a lot of money down drain the drain, I never feel like I truly own digital Media despite buying a lot of it.

Late reply to this one: Indeed, physical media looks to be in a real decline – at least in ordinary street shops. I imagine stuff like collectors releases (Critierion etc) will still have a future (at least for a while).

Digital media becoming inaccessible is a bit of a worry for me as well. The releases I feel are important to own, I try to get a physical copy of. The digital downloads I have are mostly titles I just find cool to own.
    The stream deck is amazing, so many things you can do with it.

Setting up a Spotify control feature on it at the moment. Also started to create a jukebox section to play any of my native music with the press of a button.

The multi function buttons are great, for example soon as I open a Graphic Design app it sends a signal to automatically turn the stream deck into the hotkeys for that specific App.

That deck looks like an interesting gadget. Of all the features you listed, which one do you think you'll get the most use out of?

So far mainly music, I spent hours programming it and customising it yesterday. The buttons are infinite and can be all animated. I have put a few animations on keys. Re: My Matrix Reloaded Album all the keys for the tracks are animated Matrix code lol

A long way to go with using the full capabilities though already set up a System key folder for CMD window, hibernate, sleep, shut down keys etc. This thing speeds things up tremendously.

I have set up a web page subsection with a key for all the regular sites I visit so instant access to sites, no scrolling anymore through favourites etc.

I have a sub menu for native films and TV on my PC for instant play for each at the press of a button and set up a control panel on it to control which ever media is playing... play, stop, volume, mute fast forward etc. The great thing is you can add any icon you want I already had a folder with loads of icons I have downloaded over the years and went online looked for more yesterday.

Its an amazing gadget and the functionality is far more than what I have set up so far. It's usually around £150 got this for £95 in sale, money well spent for me I love gadgets.

Edited:Just learnt how to set up a key for individual folders re: a key per image folder... click of a button opens my Bond Art folder without navigating anything.

Just added the first 3 Bond soundtracks to my Jukebox section, with album art on every key including tracks lol. I like the retro mechanical key aspect of clicking through my music this way.

Awesome just programmed all the GIMP hot keys into the Stream Deck, as soon as I open GIMP 2.8 App the Stream Deck displays all the tools on the buttons, when I close the app the Stream Deck reverts to my Default profile on the Stream Deck automatically. This would be ideal for you @Torgeirtrap
    …I am struggling to find a GIMP Icon pack with individual images of tools to place on the Stream Deck keys to identify each tool.

Worse case scenario I could get a high res image of all the Tools and cut individually though that is time consuming.

Edited: I found a Photoshop Icon pack on the Elgato store, 70 Icons in total many are the same as GIMP hopefully all I need will be there. [-O<

Edited: I ended up cutting each individual icon from a high res image, it actually looks pretty good...

7m8Crvw.jpg

B8jYU8E.jpg

5izwL8f.jpg

Really happy with these @Torgeirtrap turned out better than expected.

I will change the look of the arrow keys when I find some I like.

Wow! Really impressive functionalities, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns!

I'd be tempted to give this deck a try – most of all because I'm terrible at remembering the shortcuts in the Adobe programs I use. In Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, the same functionalities might have different shortcuts, which is very annoying when you switch between the programs – something that I usually do daily.

Will the deck be able to switch button setup if you jump from one app/program to another if both are still open?

Yeah you can set up a different control panel for an infinite amount of apps re: Photoshop or Spotify. Each control panel is a individual seperate profile, so when you open Photoshop a sequence of steps are activated that automatically changes the Stream Deck into the Photoshop tool box.

A couple of the Gimp tools don't have workable hot keys though it let's me create my own which I will do when I get chance. You can create infinite profiles, I have a quick access subsection where I can select anyone of them. I will create different looking main profiles ie just like changing pc wallpaper though far more in depth.

That's really cool! How do you scroll/switch from one set of controls to another when using GIMP, for example?

I have an arrow to press on each page that takes me to the next set of tools on the next page of keys.

Whilst in GIMP if I want to go to my main profile homepage I have a key to press that will take me directly there and another programmed key to take me back to the GIMP tools profile.

Nice. Programs like Photoshop and Illustrator have so many tools and shortcuts, that you need multiple sets of keys to navigate through.

Have you noticed any drawbacks with the deck now that you've had it for some days?

I will set up other profiles for other programs on my days off.

No draw backs at all in fact I am constantly surprised by what other cool stuff it can do, there are hundreds of Stream Deck videos on YouTube, I have already watched several videos already, thinking of programming it to do other things from tomorrow (got 6 days off).

Its money well spent and with one main profile complete (gone for a animated blue/silver design) it looks great aesthetically.
    be1VEMR.jpg
    Above is the home screen, all the keys are animated, not the best of photo's lighting not great.

I plan on making a James Bond main profile so all the keys are James Bond themed.
    @Torgeirtrap I have started building my Bond Album Jukebox...

SvQj59x.jpg

The keys are crystal clear for me though getting glare on my camera, the keys do look great.

This looks great! Having you favourite (Bond) albums available like that is handy. Not that pulling up Spotify, finding the album you want to listen to and press play is time consuming, but still. Actually, connecting this one with Spotify and making a playlist feature could be cool. Have you connected the deck with any other gadgets, speakers, etc. yet?

The Spotify link up is really good apparently though only works if you subscribe to Spotify (I only have the free version).

Only connected to PC so far though need to set up IFTTT so it will control my smart home.

I just like the old school functionality of pressing buttons, selecting Album tracks reminds me of an old school jukebox.

I got Spotify Premium, so that functionality should work fine then. I imagine this deck will work really well with music and home media :-)
    :)) Just learnt how to add sound effects to every key action, oh man going to have fun with this. I have already made my own sound board, going to make my own James Bond sound board also.

My Audacity software is going to come in handy.

Haha, that deck of yours will be the ultimate tool by the looks of it!

I am tempted to get Spotify free trial just to see what the functionality is like using the stream Deck.

I use Spotify so much that I'd rather drop one of the streaming services I subscribe to than Spotify Premium, should I have to save on my monthly expenses. If you have other streaming services, like Tidal, Apple Music or similar ones, you probably won't need Spotify Premium though.
    Just added this sound effect to my screen off button, which then activates a Batman Wallpaper screen on the Stream Deck. :))

There are Multi Action and Multi Action Switch settings, where one click of a button can send multiple commands. So for example one click could open five apps at once, switch microphone on, dim the lights in the living room etc etc. Very clever gadget for automation.

Haha, that's brilliant!

Functionality like that must be great if your home is "smart" enough (which your home no doubt is!). I use very few smart gadgets myself, so the deck would be a work tool more than anything, should I decide on buying it.
  • quantumspectrequantumspectre argentina
    youtube, because is more fast to search a song than just buy new songs.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 17,241
    youtube, because is more fast to search a song than just buy new songs.

I find Youtube particularly good for those hidden gems; rare albums that aren't available on other streaming services. It's incredible how much great stuff you can find there!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2021 Posts: 23,105
    14100407_b6f09ec6-968a-4718-b9ab-7a092575c0ba_1210_1210.jpg

I just bought these mainly for the microphone when chatting online i.e. conference calls etc. Though just been testing them with my other headsets and very surprised at the sound quality, I am listening to NTTD on my PC and the sound through the HyperX Cloud Stingers are fantastic my best wired set now for sure, not far behind my Bluedio Surround Sound 3D Wireless headphones.

I just bought these mainly for the microphone when chatting online i.e. conference calls etc. Though just been testing them with my other headsets and very surprised at the sound quality, I am listening to NTTD on my PC and the sound through the HyperX Cloud Stingers are fantastic my best wired set now for sure, not far behind my Bluedio Surround Sound 3D Wireless headphones.

Interesting that you rank the wireless headphones above these wired ones @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Usually, I see people struggling to find wireless pairs that sounds as good as their wired ones.

I've been thinking of getting wireless headphones myself, but my Senheiser wired headphones still does the job.

Recently I've been looking at the Audioquest DragonFly Series of USB DAC + Preamp + Headphone Amps. A pricy purchase for sure, but I might consider getting one of the three DragonFly's some time next year.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,105

Interesting that you rank the wireless headphones above these wired ones @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Usually, I see people struggling to find wireless pairs that sounds as good as their wired ones.

I've been thinking of getting wireless headphones myself, but my Senheiser wired headphones still does the job.

Recently I've been looking at the Audioquest DragonFly Series of USB DAC + Preamp + Headphone Amps. A pricy purchase for sure, but I might consider getting one of the three DragonFly's some time next year.

My wireless headphones cost around £150 when I bought them so the drivers are very good, the 3D surround sound creates an impressive sound experience even more so when listening to Dolby Atmos.

I have been thinking of buying a new pair of wireless headphones phones, need to pay off a few more things first lol

I am not familiar with that amp though I did end up buying a external sound card for my Cloud Stingers just to give me a USB connection to one of my laptops.
    Just looked on Amazon the Audioquest DragonFly Series looks compact and got good reviews.

My wireless headphones cost around £150 when I bought them so the drivers are very good, the 3D surround sound creates an impressive sound experience even more so when listening to Dolby Atmos.

I have been thinking of buying a new pair of wireless headphones phones, need to pay off a few more things first lol

Cool! My Senheisers probably cost about the same when I bought them. Nothing special about those headphones though, other than a very decent sound quality and build. I had to replace the ear pads a month ago, but that was expected as I have used them regularly since 2015.

Do you have any brands you would recommend if I want to get a pair of wireless headphones, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

I am not familiar with that amp though I did end up buying a external sound card for my Cloud Stingers just to give me a USB connection to one of my laptops.

Just looked on Amazon the Audioquest DragonFly Series looks compact and got good reviews.

Yes, from what I've seen the Audioquest DragonFly's have all got good reviews, and offers an upgrade to the internal dac of the smartphone or laptop. Most of the time I stream music through my Macbook, which is getting a bit old. The sound is alright when I use the Senheisers, but far from great. I'm tempted to get a Dragonfly stick to see how much that can improve the sound – not just for music, but for when I'm watching a TV show or a movie on the laptop too.

Cool! My Senheisers probably cost about the same when I bought them. Nothing special about those headphones though, other than a very decent sound quality and build. I had to replace the ear pads a month ago, but that was expected as I have used them regularly since 2015.

Do you have any brands you would recommend if I want to get a pair of wireless headphones, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

Yes, from what I've seen the Audioquest DragonFly's have all got good reviews, and offers an upgrade to the internal dac of the smartphone or laptop. Most of the time I stream music through my Macbook, which is getting a bit old. The sound is alright when I use the Senheisers, but far from great. I'm tempted to get a Dragonfly stick to see how much that can improve the sound – not just for music, but for when I'm watching a TV show or a movie on the laptop too.

I am not that clued up on what are good and bad makes beyond just individual reviews of items, my current wireless headphones also have some superficial damage with the leather or faux leather ear pads and paint chipped. To be honest I am just looking for an excuse to buy a new pair lol I think I have had them 5 or 6 years now. You can never have too many sets of headphones lol

I am not that clued up on what are good and bad makes beyond just individual reviews of items, my current wireless headphones also have some superficial damage with the leather or faux leather ear pads and paint chipped. To be honest I am just looking for an excuse to buy a new pair lol I think I have had them 5 or 6 years now. You can never have too many sets of headphones lol

That's ok; it's just interesting to learn what brands or models have impressed you the most :-) Superficial damage is to be expected after 5-6 years of use. The leather parts of my Senheisers are starting to peel a bit, but given the amount of use they've had, and on top of that being carried in a messenger bah day after day, I'm actually a bit surprised they're still looking as good as they do.

At some point I need to upgrade to another pair though, and when I do it will likely be a wireless pair.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,105

That's ok; it's just interesting to learn what brands or models have impressed you the most :-) Superficial damage is to be expected after 5-6 years of use. The leather parts of my Senheisers are starting to peel a bit, but given the amount of use they've had, and on top of that being carried in a messenger bah day after day, I'm actually a bit surprised they're still looking as good as they do.

At some point I need to upgrade to another pair though, and when I do it will likely be a wireless pair.

Just looking at my UFO headphones now they look brand new :)) the small paint chip is only noticeable to me and the material rip is inside the ear foam. The next pair I get need to be better than these to justify the purchase. The paint scuffs I could easily repair with black model paint, I will have to do that.

Just looking at my UFO headphones now they look brand new :)) the small paint chip is only noticeable to me and the material rip is inside the ear foam. The next pair I get need to be better than these to justify the purchase. The paint scuffs I could easily repair with black model paint, I will have to do that.

Haha! It's when you can't keep noticing small things like that you know you want another pair!
    I am trialing Dolby Atmos for PC again, its much better on my new PC and been looking through Windows 11 sound capabilities I am impressed they actually have a spatial sound option built in called Windows Sonic which I don't recall being on 10. Listening to Message From an Old Friend now, the sound is so clean and sharp. Listening to The Factory now from NTTD :-O the opening to the track, wow!
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 17,241
    I am trialing Dolby Atmos for PC again, its much better on my new PC and been looking through Windows 11 sound capabilities I am impressed they actually have a spatial sound option built in called Windows Sonic which I don't recall being on 10. Listening to Message From an Old Friend now, the sound is so clean and sharp. Listening to The Factory now from NTTD :-O the opening to the track, wow!

It's incredible what difference a PC/laptop upgrade can do for sound. My Macbook – although not incredible sounding, definitely punches well about it's weight. Could be interesting to try something like Boom 3D on it!

It's incredible what difference a PC/laptop upgrade can do for sound. My Macbook – although not incredible sounding, definitely punches well about it's weight. Could be interesting to try something like Boom 3D on it!

Good point I stopped using Boom on my old PC and Windows 10 as it stopped working, I will see if I can get it to work on this one I did like the interface before it malfunctioned lol

Good point I stopped using Boom on my old PC and Windows 10 as it stopped working, I will see if I can get it to work on this one I did like the interface before it malfunctioned lol

Oh, that's unfortunate! I've yet to do anything but use the trial version for it. Should probably take the small cost to actually get it – as it worked great for certain music genres in particular.

Oh, that's unfortunate! I've yet to do anything but use the trial version for it. Should probably take the small cost to actually get it – as it worked great for certain music genres in particular.

Boom 3D now working on Window's 11 no problem. I started having issues on 10 after updates. I will use Boom for my speakers and Dolby Atmos for my Headphones.

Boom 3D now working on Window's 11 no problem. I started having issues on 10 after updates. I will use Boom for my speakers and Dolby Atmos for my Headphones.

Sounds like a good combo!
    Update on Boom 3D its sounding terrible with my sound card so reverted to Equalizer AOP 1.3 Configurator which sounds infinitely better. Maybe its a compatibility issue with Boom on Windows 11.

When I bought Boom initially I think it was relatively inexpensive though it is always worth seeking out open source free alternatives (that are safe).
    Update on Boom 3D its sounding terrible with my sound card so reverted to Equalizer AOP 1.3 Configurator which sounds infinitely better. Maybe its a compatibility issue with Boom on Windows 11.

When I bought Boom initially I think it was relatively inexpensive though it is always worth seeking out open source free alternatives (that are safe).

Compatibility issues aren't uncommon I would guess, depending on how up to date the software is. It does give me second thoughts on getting Boom 3D for my work Macbook though. My older Macbook which I had a trial period for, is probably a better fit; Boom 3D worked perfectly on that one.

Indeed! It's been a while since I last checked, but Boom 3D on a discount and full price was quite a jump price wise. If I can get a discount for my older Macbook, I might get it.

Compatibility issues aren't uncommon I would guess, depending on how up to date the software is. It does give me second thoughts on getting Boom 3D for my work Macbook though. My older Macbook which I had a trial period for, is probably a better fit; Boom 3D worked perfectly on that one.

Indeed! It's been a while since I last checked, but Boom 3D on a discount and full price was quite a jump price wise. If I can get a discount for my older Macbook, I might get it.

I am often reluctant to spend money on software, many times I have bought stuff I end up discarding.

Just testing the Windows 11 Media Player and its a vast improvement on previous in built Players. It has a good interface, I may use this over the likes of Pot Player and Music Bee those are the Video and Music players I tend to use.

Thinking of upgrading my PC external speakers again something with Dolby Atmos.

I am often reluctant to spend money on software, many times I have bought stuff I end up discarding.

Just testing the Windows 11 Media Player and its a vast improvement on previous in built Players. It has a good interface, I may use this over the likes of Pot Player and Music Bee those are the Video and Music players I tend to use.

I usually try and find free alternatives as long as it's an option. I struggled to find a free (working) Blu-ray player software for my Macbook, and in the end I found an option I had to purchase. It's worked without any issues, fortunately.

Using Apple products myself, I tend to stick to iTunes whenever not using Spotify to play music files. There's no doubt several better options out there for Mac, butI haven't bothered to look. If it works, there's no reason to change things up I think.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to hook up my Macbook with vintage speakers (as mentioned previously on this thread), but I haven't got any further about it. Getting a pair of external PC speakers aren't out of the question, but I think it will be more fun to get new use out of stuff I already own – even though the sound might be vastly superior with a dedicated pair of modern speakers.

I usually try and find free alternatives as long as it's an option. I struggled to find a free (working) Blu-ray player software for my Macbook, and in the end I found an option I had to purchase. It's worked without any issues, fortunately.

Using Apple products myself, I tend to stick to iTunes whenever not using Spotify to play music files. There's no doubt several better options out there for Mac, butI haven't bothered to look. If it works, there's no reason to change things up I think.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to hook up my Macbook with vintage speakers (as mentioned previously on this thread), but I haven't got any further about it. Getting a pair of external PC speakers aren't out of the question, but I think it will be more fun to get new use out of stuff I already own – even though the sound might be vastly superior with a dedicated pair of modern speakers.

Its good to repurpose speakers, I have got rid off speakers and amps that I regret doing as later on I could have used them for something else. I have a bad habit of discarding things when I upgrade or just give them away.

Its good to repurpose speakers, I have got rid off speakers and amps that I regret doing as later on I could have used them for something else. I have a bad habit of discarding things when I upgrade or just give them away.

I guess that's the same for all of us! There's also the space that old speakers and other gear take up as well.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,105

https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-gc7

Thinking of buying this device, now I have started PC gaming again I want to improve the sound. On the surface this device appears to have impressive functionality.

Edited: Just ordered one.

Thinking of buying this device, now I have started PC gaming again I want to improve the sound. On the surface this device appears to have impressive functionality.

That looks like a handy gadget for gamers! Not too big either, so you won't have to worry about having enough desk space. I've never been much of a PC gamer myself, so that world of gadgets is unknown territory for me. But I remember back in the late 90's/early 00's when me and my mates were into gaming – on consoles or PC – that there was so much more you could get for PC gaming – especially controllers.

That looks like a handy gadget for gamers! Not too big either, so you won't have to worry about having enough desk space. I've never been much of a PC gamer myself, so that world of gadgets is unknown territory for me. But I remember back in the late 90's/early 00's when me and my mates were into gaming – on consoles or PC – that there was so much more you could get for PC gaming – especially controllers.

The different sound modes appealed to me and its got virtual 7.1 sound. I watched several reviews on YouTube and many have said it's great for music whether it be headphones or speakers, the fact it has a fibre optic connection was a major plus I could connect my sound bar or get some better speakers.

Regarding desk space I have quite a few gadgets attached to my PC now :)) The DAC should arrive tomorrow, I am glad I shopped around I almost ordered one that was £30+ more expensive than the one i ended up ordering. I really like its aesthetic.

The different sound modes appealed to me and its got virtual 7.1 sound. I watched several reviews on YouTube and many have said it's great for music whether it be headphones or speakers, the fact it has a fibre optic connection was a major plus I could connect my sound bar or get some better speakers.

Regarding desk space I have quite a few gadgets attached to my PC now :)) The DAC should arrive tomorrow, I am glad I shopped around I almost ordered one that was £30+ more expensive than the one i ended up ordering. I really like its aesthetic.

You should definitely write an update if you connect the device to your soundbar or other speakers you have, and let us know how it all sounds like.

It has a nice look for sure. I like my gadgets even more minimalistic than this, but that's probably not something you want for a device with features like this!

I don't have a dedicated desk myself (my previous one didn't suit my needs anymore), but I'm thinking about getting a new one, or even having one built/building one myself. Still trying to figure out what I really need from a desk; A fold-down wall mounted desk is definitely an option, but I don't really like having anything mounted to the wall. I will no doubt end up with a smaller desk, as I only own laptops.

You should definitely write an update if you connect the device to your soundbar or other speakers you have, and let us know how it all sounds like.

It has a nice look for sure. I like my gadgets even more minimalistic than this, but that's probably not something you want for a device with features like this!

I don't have a dedicated desk myself (my previous one didn't suit my needs anymore), but I'm thinking about getting a new one, or even having one built/building one myself. Still trying to figure out what I really need from a desk; A fold-down wall mounted desk is definitely an option, but I don't really like having anything mounted to the wall. I will no doubt end up with a smaller desk, as I only own laptops.

Its just arrived now and its literally a plug and play Windows 11 set it up as the main source when switched off it goes back to my in built sound card with no fuss at all.

I have not even downloaded the software (will do that after the Football). Its amazing just on the device itself you have so much control, the music purrs out of my Creative speakers. I have not even tried it yet with headphones. It is so much better than my new PC sound card which is good and my old amp is totally undercurrent now. I am very happy with the purchase.