How do you listen to music?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2021 Posts: 23,334
    @Torgeirtrap I may get a previous gen Echo the tall cylinder to match up with one i already have, though it appears to be a discontinued line will have to shop around.

Would think that some online shops have the older gen cylinder speakers available. If not, there's always Ebay and similar sites!

Seen some refurbished though not cheap enough to warrant buying second hand, looks like I will end up going with the spheres.

You never know with second hand tech of course, so it's no doubt safer to go for the most recent model, delivered from Amazon itself – especially of the price for an older gen model isn't significantly cheaper than the recent one(s). Are there any major upgrades re. the tech with the spheres? If there's a significant difference, then that's another reason to pick them.

Some reviews say the sound is much better and the speakers are more directional with sound projection. I will order some later, I need to measure up where I will place them first as the spheres are much wider.

Edited: I had to scrap the idea the power cables are ridiculously short, thankfully someone pointed this out in a review. Where I want to position the speakers the cable would not reach. Not sure I am prepared to pay extra for two power lead extensions.

Edited: Ended up ordering two lol will find a work around with cables. The speakers have spacial sensors like the Echo Studios to sense acoustics of the room which made my mind up.

Lead extensions aren't that pricy, are they? It's a bit annoying to have to make an additional purchase just to be able to put the speaker where you want them though.

I always struggle with cable management when it comes to speakers and other tech. No matter how I try to fit them together with clips or other kinds of organisers, it never ends up looking the way I want it to.

Spacial sensors are a nice feature. Let us know how the speakers sound like when you have got the chance to give them a try!

A few of the Echo's have different types of cables, also the extended cables I have looked at previously were third party with mixed reviews regarding there effectiveness.

My cable management is better since the fire (My place was not on fire though it prompted me to risk assess everything), I upgraded all my socket towers to the best on the market re: safety specs. I also have colour coded labels on the cables and use different cable tidy tubes.

Do Amazon offer any cables themselves?

Smart! I don't have any socket towers myself, just regular extension leads. I try not to have all kinds of gadgets hooked up to them at all times though. I've been looking at getting some cable tubes. The tubes I've seen in shops have looked a bit flimsy and/or clunky, so I just need to find some that works well.

71Qry+qM+BL._AC_SL1305_.jpg
    I use these and colour code each lead/cable at either end with cable stickers to easily identify the appliance.

Amazon do not appear to do the extended cables, only found replacement cables which are the same size. Speakers arrive tomorrow so will see if I can do a work around and save money.

Colour coding is my plan too when I eventually find the optimal cable tubes. Those I've had a look at looked kinda similar to those above (only white), but they didn't look like tubes that would last long, especially if moving stuff around. Don't expect there will be an issue finding some decent ones though. Maybe it will be worth checking out hi-fi shops.

That's a pity. Hi-fi shops usually offer high quality cables, though they might be a bit expensive.

The problem here is no high street shops are open and most won't open again the way things are changing. We will probably be in Lockdown for sometime yet here despite other country's relaxing restrictions.

The tubes I use I have had no issue the plastic is strong and being black vanish when under shelfs or behind the TV.

Edited: Wow these speakers are fantastic, great base and mid range, very happy I bought them the whole room fills with sound. They are smaller than expected and look better for it. You really can hear the premium quality sound.

The smart speakers I have now...
    Echo Studio x2
    Echo 4th Gen x2
    Echo Dot 3rd Gen x2
    Echo Show 5 x2
    Echo Plus 2nd Gen*
    Echo Flex*

*not currently plugged in lol

Yes, you might have to find a store with an webshop. Checking out the webshop one of the major hi-fi chains here, and they sell speaker cables by meter length.

That's the issue I had with those I looked at; the plastic was easy to bend the way you'd like, but it felt a bit cheap. I'd prefer a bit more strong plastic.

Great! How do they compare to the other Echo speakers you got? Any noticeable differences?

The Echo 4th Gen has Dolby Sound they are not at the level of the Echo Studios as don't have 3D Sound or Dolby Atmos. The Echo 4's do sound great though and are better than all the other Echo's and rival speakers from some reviews. They are ideal for what I use them for, they are for music and pairing two really does sound great. I have my Echo plus in the same room now, so when training I have six speakers playing whatever music I choose at the sane time, vast improvement to what I had previously with the two new additions.
    Echo 4th Gen
    l_10215717_004.jpg

The Echo 4th Gen is 30 watts
    The Echo Studio 330 watts
    Big difference in power.

Watching movies with Dolby Atmos through my two Echo Studios is quite an experience.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 17,280
    @Torgeirtrap I may get a previous gen Echo the tall cylinder to match up with one i already have, though it appears to be a discontinued line will have to shop around.

Would think that some online shops have the older gen cylinder speakers available. If not, there's always Ebay and similar sites!

Seen some refurbished though not cheap enough to warrant buying second hand, looks like I will end up going with the spheres.

You never know with second hand tech of course, so it's no doubt safer to go for the most recent model, delivered from Amazon itself – especially of the price for an older gen model isn't significantly cheaper than the recent one(s). Are there any major upgrades re. the tech with the spheres? If there's a significant difference, then that's another reason to pick them.

Some reviews say the sound is much better and the speakers are more directional with sound projection. I will order some later, I need to measure up where I will place them first as the spheres are much wider.

Edited: I had to scrap the idea the power cables are ridiculously short, thankfully someone pointed this out in a review. Where I want to position the speakers the cable would not reach. Not sure I am prepared to pay extra for two power lead extensions.

Edited: Ended up ordering two lol will find a work around with cables. The speakers have spacial sensors like the Echo Studios to sense acoustics of the room which made my mind up.

Lead extensions aren't that pricy, are they? It's a bit annoying to have to make an additional purchase just to be able to put the speaker where you want them though.

I always struggle with cable management when it comes to speakers and other tech. No matter how I try to fit them together with clips or other kinds of organisers, it never ends up looking the way I want it to.

Spacial sensors are a nice feature. Let us know how the speakers sound like when you have got the chance to give them a try!

A few of the Echo's have different types of cables, also the extended cables I have looked at previously were third party with mixed reviews regarding there effectiveness.

My cable management is better since the fire (My place was not on fire though it prompted me to risk assess everything), I upgraded all my socket towers to the best on the market re: safety specs. I also have colour coded labels on the cables and use different cable tidy tubes.

Smart! I don't have any socket towers myself, just regular extension leads. I try not to have all kinds of gadgets hooked up to them at all times though. I've been looking at getting some cable tubes. The tubes I've seen in shops have looked a bit flimsy and/or clunky, so I just need to find some that works well.

I use these and colour code each lead/cable at either end with cable stickers to easily identify the appliance.

Amazon do not appear to do the extended cables, only found replacement cables which are the same size. Speakers arrive tomorrow so will see if I can do a work around and save money.

Colour coding is my plan too when I eventually find the optimal cable tubes. Those I've had a look at looked kinda similar to those above (only white), but they didn't look like tubes that would last long, especially if moving stuff around. Don't expect there will be an issue finding some decent ones though. Maybe it will be worth checking out hi-fi shops.

That's a pity. Hi-fi shops usually offer high quality cables, though they might be a bit expensive.

The problem here is no high street shops are open and most won't open again the way things are changing. We will probably be in Lockdown for sometime yet here despite other country's relaxing restrictions.

The tubes I use I have had no issue the plastic is strong and being black vanish when under shelfs or behind the TV.

Edited: Wow these speakers are fantastic, great base and mid range, very happy I bought them the whole room fills with sound. They are smaller than expected and look better for it. You really can hear the premium quality sound.

Echo Studio x2
    Echo 4th Gen x2
    Echo Dot 3rd Gen x2
    Echo Show 5 x2
    Echo Plus 2nd Gen*
    Echo Flex*

Yes, you might have to find a store with an webshop. Checking out the webshop one of the major hi-fi chains here, and they sell speaker cables by meter length.

That's the issue I had with those I looked at; the plastic was easy to bend the way you'd like, but it felt a bit cheap. I'd prefer a bit more strong plastic.

Great! How do they compare to the other Echo speakers you got? Any noticeable differences?

The Echo 4th Gen has Dolby Sound they are not at the level of the Echo Studios as don't have 3D Sound or Dolby Atmos. The Echo 4's do sound great though and are better than all the other Echo's and rival speakers from some reviews. They are ideal for what I use them for, they are for music and pairing two really does sound great. I have my Echo plus in the same room now, so when training I have six speakers playing whatever music I choose at the sane time, vast improvement to what I had previously with the two new additions.
    Echo 4th Gen
    l_10215717_004.jpg

Big difference in power.

Watching movies with Dolby Atmos through my two Echo Studios is quite an experience.

Cool! I only just realised how small the Echo 4th gen is. Must be punching well above it's weight at that size! The speakers I have that are closest to the Echo in size, are my Tandberg Hi-fi System 10 speakers from the late 60's. They're 18 x 23 x 23 cm / 7 x 9 x 9 inches. I doubt the sound of those speakers come close to the Echo, but I got them more for their vintage appeal than the sound performance.

Have you got much use out of the Echo Studios since you got them?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Echo Studio x2
    Echo 4th Gen x2
    Echo Dot 3rd Gen x2
    Echo Show 5 x2
    Echo Plus 2nd Gen*
    Echo Flex*

Echo 4th Gen
    l_10215717_004.jpg

Big difference in power.

Cool! I only just realised how small the Echo 4th gen is. Must be punching well above it's weight at that size! The speakers I have that are closest to the Echo in size, are my Tandberg Hi-fi System 10 speakers from the late 60's. They're 18 x 23 x 23 cm / 7 x 9 x 9 inches. I doubt the sound of those speakers come close to the Echo, but I got them more for their vintage appeal than the sound performance.

I have had vintage speakers years ago they do look great.

My Echo Studios I listen to all the time as they are wirelessly connected to my lounge Fire TV 4K Stick and are the primary sound source for Movies, YouTube etc.

The Echo 4th Gens are just over 5 inch x 5 inch I was listening to music on volume 4 earlier and it really belted out sound at that volume. I dare not try it on full volume lol

Echo Studio x2
    Echo 4th Gen x2
    Echo Dot 3rd Gen x2
    Echo Show 5 x2
    Echo Plus 2nd Gen*
    Echo Flex*

Echo 4th Gen
    l_10215717_004.jpg

Big difference in power.

My Echo Studios I listen to all the time as they are wirelessly connected to my lounge Fire TV 4K Stick and are the primary sound source for Movies, YouTube etc.

The Echo 4th Gens are just over 5 inch x 5 inch I was listening to music on volume 4 earlier and it really belted out sound at that volume. I dare not try it on full volume lol

Vintage speakers aren't necessarily practical in terms of functionality, but there's something about vintage gear that's just so appealing!

Do you find the Echo Studio's work best for movies or regular viewing/Youtube etc.?

Casual listening volumes is more than enough for me personally. Many speakers sound significantly worse at louder volumes too, as the sound can get a bit muddy. I imagine at those dimensions, the Echo 4th gen speakers would be ideal for casual listening.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 23,334

Echo Studio x2
    Echo 4th Gen x2
    Echo Dot 3rd Gen x2
    Echo Show 5 x2
    Echo Plus 2nd Gen*
    Echo Flex*

Echo 4th Gen
    l_10215717_004.jpg

Big difference in power.

Vintage speakers aren't necessarily practical in terms of functionality, but there's something about vintage gear that's just so appealing!

Do you find the Echo Studio's work best for movies or regular viewing/Youtube etc.?

Casual listening volumes is more than enough for me personally. Many speakers sound significantly worse at louder volumes too, as the sound can get a bit muddy. I imagine at those dimensions, the Echo 4th gen speakers would be ideal for casual listening.

Movies are best because of the films that have Dolby Atmos, both Skyfall and Spectre have Dolby Atmos and you notice the difference considetably compared with earlier films. Great thing about the Bond films on my Fire TV 4K is despite only being in HD they are in upscaled with HDR and even films not in Dolby Atmos sound better on the Echo Studios compared with Soundbar.

Moonraker is a standout it really does look and sound great upscaled. Of course I await all the films in true 4K, no idea when that will happen lol

I was wise to get those Echo 4th Gen speakers a few days ago, the limited time deal has expired.

Echo Studio x2
    Echo 4th Gen x2
    Echo Dot 3rd Gen x2
    Echo Show 5 x2
    Echo Plus 2nd Gen*
    Echo Flex*

Echo 4th Gen
    l_10215717_004.jpg

Big difference in power.

Movies are best because of the films that have Dolby Atmos, both Skyfall and Spectre have Dolby Atmos and you notice the difference considetably compared with earlier films. Great thing about the Bond films on my Fire TV 4K is despite only being in HD they are in upscaled with HDR and even films not in Dolby Atmos sound better on the Echo Studios compared with Soundbar.

Moonraker is a standout it really does look and sound great upscaled. Of course I await all the films in true 4K, no idea when that will happen lol

I was wise to get those Echo 4th Gen speakers a few days ago, the limited time deal has expired.

Interesting! We discussed this earlier in the thread, but speakers like the Studio's looks to be a good alternative to soundbars, if getting speakers with film/TV viewing in mind. Despite being a massive movie fan, I'm not fuzzy when it comes to sound performance, so I might opt for a soundbar due to them being narrow and the fact that you can mount them on a wall. I might even consider trying to find a way to hook up my vintage bookshelf speakers to upgrade the TV sound.

Did you watch MR in 4K via Amazon Prime?

That was quick! Speakers are a typical product you might get a good deal for at some point after the release, and worth looking out for when you consider getting a pair.

Echo Studio x2
    Echo 4th Gen x2
    Echo Dot 3rd Gen x2
    Echo Show 5 x2
    Echo Plus 2nd Gen*
    Echo Flex*

Echo 4th Gen
    l_10215717_004.jpg

Big difference in power.

Interesting! We discussed this earlier in the thread, but speakers like the Studio's looks to be a good alternative to soundbars, if getting speakers with film/TV viewing in mind. Despite being a massive movie fan, I'm not fuzzy when it comes to sound performance, so I might opt for a soundbar due to them being narrow and the fact that you can mount them on a wall. I might even consider trying to find a way to hook up my vintage bookshelf speakers to upgrade the TV sound.

That was quick! Speakers are a typical product you might get a good deal for at some point after the release, and worth looking out for when you consider getting a pair.

As long as you have an amp you could pretty much rig any speakers to your TV, I have a bad habit of throwing away old speakers/amps/hifi systems/video players I really should have kept some of it to repurpose.

Moonraker is only in HD though has HDR upscale, its a film that often looks great IMO, its one of the more cinematic Bond films.

Echo Studio x2
    Echo 4th Gen x2
    Echo Dot 3rd Gen x2
    Echo Show 5 x2
    Echo Plus 2nd Gen*
    Echo Flex*

Echo 4th Gen
    l_10215717_004.jpg

Big difference in power.

As long as you have an amp you could pretty much rig any speakers to your TV, I have a bad habit of throwing away old speakers/amps/hifi systems/video players I really should have kept some of it to repurpose.

Moonraker is only in HD though has HDR upscale, its a film that often looks great IMO, its one of the more cinematic Bond films.

Yes, I do have a few older amps I can probably connect to the TV somehow. Will just have to find the right kind of cables (these old amps uses DIN connectors).

I think we all have a tendency to throw away older tech too easily, and it's worth trying to put these items to alternative use somehow. You can usually find ways of making old speakers more "smart", and old speaker elements can be repurposed. An old iPad can be used for streaming music, etc.

I think some (if not the majority) of the Bond films have got a 4K upgrade on iTunes/Apple TV. Worth checking out if getting digital copies of the Bond films.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 23,334
    Boom 2: Precision Audio Control for Mac

I may have to have a look at this, just appeared on my feed, there must be a PC version. Need to see how it compares to Boom 3D which I already have on my PC and Mobile Phone.

:)) Boom 3D is the upgrade to Boom 2 which makes sense with the numbering :)) (I have only just woke up, brain not working yet lol) not sure why old software is being advertised on my feed.

Echo Studio x2
    Echo 4th Gen x2
    Echo Dot 3rd Gen x2
    Echo Show 5 x2
    Echo Plus 2nd Gen*
    Echo Flex*

Echo 4th Gen
    l_10215717_004.jpg

Big difference in power.

Yes, I do have a few older amps I can probably connect to the TV somehow. Will just have to find the right kind of cables (these old amps uses DIN connectors).

I think we all have a tendency to throw away older tech too easily, and it's worth trying to put these items to alternative use somehow. You can usually find ways of making old speakers more "smart", and old speaker elements can be repurposed. An old iPad can be used for streaming music, etc.

I think some (if not the majority) of the Bond films have got a 4K upgrade on iTunes/Apple TV. Worth checking out if getting digital copies of the Bond films.

I regret throwing away some of my equipment a few years ago I threw away a perfectly good Sony amp and CD player which was really nice and later on realised I could still have some use for it. Been considering buying a Record player to play some Bond and Movie Vinyl I still own, though not sure whether to go cheap or expensive. Plus I want something to rig up to my Echo speakers if possible.
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 17,280
    Boom 2: Precision Audio Control for Mac

I may have to have a look at this, just appeared on my feed, there must be a PC version. Need to see how it compares to Boom 3D which I already have on my PC and Mobile Phone.

:)) Boom 3D is the upgrade to Boom 2 which makes sense with the numbering :)) (I have only just woke up, brain not working yet lol) not sure why old software is being advertised on my feed.

Boom 3D has been on my "to buy" list for quite some time now. I recently got a pair of Airpods, and it could be cool to give Boom 3D a try listening through those.

Echo Studio x2
    Echo 4th Gen x2
    Echo Dot 3rd Gen x2
    Echo Show 5 x2
    Echo Plus 2nd Gen*
    Echo Flex*

Echo 4th Gen
    l_10215717_004.jpg

Big difference in power.

I regret throwing away some of my equipment a few years ago I threw away a perfectly good Sony amp and CD player which was really nice and later on realised I could still have some use for it. Been considering buying a Record player to play some Bond and Movie Vinyl I still own, though not sure whether to go cheap or expensive. Plus I want something to rig up to my Echo speakers if possible.

I was in a similar situation four or five years ago, where I had this CD player I considered getting rid of. Ended up keeping it instead, and it's going nowhere now. Haven't had that much use for it recently, but I like to put on CD when I get the chance. I've also considered buying more CD's from bands I tend to listen to regularly, but I've haven't made it a priority (yet).

There's a lot to choose from when it comes to turntables these days. You got the more expensive Rega models, for example, or mor entry level but still very good models from Pro-Ject, Rega, Denon, etc., etc. Bluetooth turntables and turntables with more functionality have become quite good too. Here are a couple of reviews by Andrew Robinson:

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I now exclusively stream Music or from MP3s, that I've either bought or burned from my music collection. I haven't played physical media like cassettes or CDs in years.
    I now exclusively stream Music or from MP3s, that I've either bought or burned from my music collection. I haven't played physical media like cassettes or CDs in years.

I definitely understand why, @Thunderpussy. You can't beat the convenience of streaming/digital. What's cool is the quality you can get from streaming services and streaming devices these days. You really don't need anything else unless you have a passion for vinyl/CDs/cassettes.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    @Torgeirtrap My youngest Daughter is getting in to records. She's bought a player and has several New artists on vinyl Like Sam Smith's latest LP.
    I have some ears phones similar to Air Pods and have Boom 3D on my Mobile phone also, word of advice regarding Boom 3D on Mobile is be careful with the volume you don't need it very high and too high could damage your Phone speakers.

Boom 3D is my default MP3 player App on my phone its very good.

@Torgeirtrap I will check out the reviews, my biggest issue with the turn table is where can I put it, place is so cluttered certainly my movie room.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 17,280
    @Torgeirtrap My youngest Daughter is getting in to records. She's bought a player and has several New artists on vinyl Like Sam Smith's latest LP.

Vinyl has made a comeback in recent years, and it seems like younger people jump on that "trend" as well. At work just a couple of days ago, we had this discussion about how digital our lives have become, and that this interest in analog things like vinyl might be that people want to seek out and experience something that doesn't involve having to use their phones, tablets or computer screens.
    I have some ears phones similar to Air Pods and have Boom 3D on my Mobile phone also, word of advice regarding Boom 3D on Mobile is be careful with the volume you don't need it very high and too high could damage your Phone speakers.

Boom 3D is my default MP3 player App on my phone its very good.

@Torgeirtrap I will check out the reviews, my biggest issue with the turn table is where can I put it, place is so cluttered certainly my movie room.

Thanks for the advice @Fire_and_Ice_Return, I'll keep that in mind!

Yes, a turntable does take up a bit of space. Pro-ject have a few interesting designs that doesn't use the ordinary, square plinth – like the Elemental, the VT-E (a vertical turntable), and the RPM 1 Carbon.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 2,436
    [/quote] Vinyl has made a comeback in recent years, and it seems like younger people jump on that "trend" as well. At work just a couple of days ago, we had this discussion about how digital our lives have become, and that this interest in analog things like vinyl might be that people want to seek out and experience something that doesn't involve having to use their phones, tablets or computer screens. [/quote]

I have a digital hi-fi, it does not involve phones, tablets or computer screens. Every time you play a vinyl you are destroying it.
    I have a digital hi-fi, it does not involve phones, tablets or computer screens. Every time you play a vinyl you are destroying it.

Yes, playing vinyl records will involve wear both for the record and the stylus, which eventually will have to be replaced. What does your hifi setup consist of?
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 2,436

Yes, playing vinyl records will involve wear both for the record and the stylus, which eventually will have to be replaced. What does your hifi setup consist of?

Yamaha RX-V373 AVR, Monitor Audio Silver 100 speakers, Monitor Audio C350 Silver centre speaker, Monitor Audio Silver-FX V2 bipole surround speakers, Optoma HD23e projector, Panasonic Blu-ray player, Rotel CD11 Tribute CD Player, Xbox One S, Panasonic VCR
    Great to read what all of you here have and use! Music/sound quality is important to me, and I'll say that one of the best decisions I made is to buy a graphic equalizer. I originally got it because my Denon receiver produced what I discerned was a flat and slightly muddy sound. My 10-band stereo EQ really changed that! Later I bought a Marantz integrated amplifier to replace the Denon, and I can discern an improvement. I'm one who's been happy with CDs and so have not gone digital, except for the occasional download to put on my mp3 player for when I go running. I still have the same Sony CD player I've had for years and tend to believe what I've read that most CD players produce the same sound quality, so there's no need to try to upgrade those--I'd be interested to know if you've found differently. I also mostly listen to music using some good open-back headphones, since I usually listen at night and don't want to disturb the neighbors, but I have some speakers too.

I used to be a radio deejay (later at weddings and parties), one reason why I still have a soft spot for vinyl (and sometimes miss my old Pioneer amplifier and turntable). I was very happy with the dynamic and warmth of the vinyl sound, but as has been said, vinyl often develops problems with age. That said, I can imagine that, in clubs especially, it would be much easier to mix beats in songs digitally rather than with vinyl.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Great to read what all of you here have and use! Music/sound quality is important to me, and I'll say that one of the best decisions I made is to buy a graphic equalizer. I originally got it because my Denon receiver produced what I discerned was a flat and slightly muddy sound. My 10-band stereo EQ really changed that! Later I bought a Marantz integrated amplifier to replace the Denon, and I can discern an improvement. I'm one who's been happy with CDs and so have not gone digital, except for the occasional download to put on my mp3 player for when I go running. I still have the same Sony CD player I've had for years and tend to believe what I've read that most CD players produce the same sound quality, so there's no need to try to upgrade those--I'd be interested to know if you've found differently. I also mostly listen to music using some good open-back headphones, since I usually listen at night and don't want to disturb the neighbors, but I have some speakers too.

I used to be a radio deejay (later at weddings and parties), one reason why I still have a soft spot for vinyl (and sometimes miss my old Pioneer amplifier and turntable). I was very happy with the dynamic and warmth of the vinyl sound, but as has been said, vinyl often develops problems with age. That said, I can imagine that, in clubs especially, it would be much easier to mix beats in songs digitally rather than with vinyl.

Back in my twenties I was big into clubbing, a lot of my mates were DJ's and some still are and moved on to functions like weddings etc. I had boxes of LP's and Singles many collectors items as well and got rid of literally all of it, I definitely regret it as it was a collection I spent years putting together, our priority's change at different stages of out life.

I have managed to get a portion of the LP's I had either on CD or Digital download, music is important to me listen to music daily. I probably still have around 200 CD's.

Yamaha RX-V373 AVR, Monitor Audio Silver 100 speakers, Monitor Audio C350 Silver centre speaker, Monitor Audio Silver-FX V2 bipole surround speakers, Optoma HD23e projector, Panasonic Blu-ray player, Rotel CD11 Tribute CD Player, Xbox One S, Panasonic VCR

Whoa, that's an impressive collection! Do you use the center/surround speakers for audio too, or just movies and gaming?

I've never used a graphic equalizer before @Thrasos, how do they work?

That most CD players produce the same sound quality is something I've read too, but I don't know if that's true or not. I have listened to CD players that have offered lesser sound, but these players have usually been really cheap, and/or all-in-one systems with built-in speakers and FM radio functionality. My CD player is actually older than myself (it's a 1990 model if I'm not mistaken), but it still works great. Some minor wear on the lid aside, it looks like new. It's never been serviced in any way either!
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,469
    @Torgeirtrap below is an image of a graphic equalizer like I have. You may've seen much smaller versions with fewer faders on, say, a boombox. The 10 faders on the left are for the left channel; 10 on the right for right channel. On either side, faders on the far right are for various treble or high frequencies, in the middle are mid-range frequencies, and on the left, bass or low frequencies. So these can be adjusted to produce the kind of sound you want, depending on the sound from your source (CD for instance) and other components. And of course if an amplifier or tuner/receiver is connected, they usually have a treble and bass knob on them for further tweaking.

tACnJ10.jpg
    @Torgeirtrap below is an image of a graphic equalizer like I have. You may've seen much smaller versions with fewer faders on, say, a boombox. The 10 faders on the left are for the left channel; 10 on the right for right channel. On either side, faders on the far right are for various treble or high frequencies, in the middle are mid-range frequencies, and on the left, bass or low frequencies. So these can be adjusted to produce the kind of sound you want, depending on the sound from your source (CD for instance) and other components. And of course if an amplifier or tuner/receiver is connected, they usually have a treble and bass knob on them for further tweaking.

tACnJ10.jpg

Really interesting! For the most part I'm happy with the sound of my components and the sources of playing music (my CD player for example, if not streaming). But there are certain times where I wish there could be ways of tweaking the sound just a little bit. I'll definitely consider getting a graphic equalizer.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,334
    Just listening to TWINE score on my PC using the BOOM 3D app, with all the enhancements on the Rock setting is definitely the sweet spot. I would like a better amp for my PC speakers, been looking occasionally online for one of the better Amps to have a sale price.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Haven't tried these. Bose does have my respect.

Bose Frames hands-on and first impressions: Testing sunglasses with built-in speakers!
    Just listening to TWINE score on my PC using the BOOM 3D app, with all the enhancements on the Rock setting is definitely the sweet spot. I would like a better amp for my PC speakers, been looking occasionally online for one of the better Amps to have a sale price.

Really liked the Rock setting when using the trial myself. I found myself mixing it up a bit though, depending on which music and even bands I was listening too.

I've thought about using one of my speaker pairs as dedicated PC speakers (or in my case Macbook speakers), but haven't found a suitable amp just yet. I'd preferably like a really small one that doesn't take up much space on a desk/table.

Bose Frames hands-on and first impressions: Testing sunglasses with built-in speakers!

Never seen these before! I wonder how they are in use.
    @Torgeirtrap Its currently Prime day on Amazon been looking at speakers and turn tables etc to see if there are any bargains, not found anything as yet today is the last day of the sale. Is amazon delivery still an issue where you are?

Since i can remember i have always used external speakers when possible for my computers, it makes such a difference, certainly in the digital age when on my PC I rarely don't play music or have YouTube playing whilst working on computer.

Cool concept good way of blocking out people lol, despite owning several pairs of Sun glasses I rarely wear them (my favourite pair are similar to the ones DC wears in QoS).

I wear my bike shades when cycling if there is dirt etc.
    @Torgeirtrap Its currently Prime day on Amazon been looking at speakers and turn tables etc to see if there are any bargains, not found anything as yet today is the last day of the sale. Is amazon delivery still an issue where you are?

Since i can remember i have always used external speakers when possible for my computers, it makes such a difference, certainly in the digital age when on my PC I rarely don't play music or have YouTube playing whilst working on computer.

The delivery opportunities varies from product to product, and if it's a product sold by Amazon, or by another company (and just purchased through Amazon). I couldn't purchase Echo products through Amazon UK previously, but it looks like I can do that now.

I prefer using external speakers too, but these last few years I've used earbuds or headphones when using my Macbook at home. But when I'm stuck working on something for several hours, it would be great to have an alternative – other than playing music through the internal speakers (which admittedly aren't bad).

The delivery opportunities varies from product to product, and if it's a product sold by Amazon, or by another company (and just purchased through Amazon). I couldn't purchase Echo products through Amazon UK previously, but it looks like I can do that now.

I prefer using external speakers too, but these last few years I've used earbuds or headphones when using my Macbook at home. But when I'm stuck working on something for several hours, it would be great to have an alternative – other than playing music through the internal speakers (which admittedly aren't bad).

Had to uninstall Boom 3D on PC it completely stopped working today wont even open, looked on Microsoft store others had same issues. Hopefully developers will sort it out or will have to look for an alternative or buy a better Amp.

Had to uninstall Boom 3D on PC it completely stopped working today wont even open, looked on Microsoft store others had same issues. Hopefully developers will sort it out or will have to look for an alternative or buy a better Amp.

I'm planning on getting Boom 3D soon. Keep us posted on the issues!