How do you listen to music?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2021 Posts: 23,338
    If I was in the market for a new portable speaker, I'd save up money for this one!

Nice, it certainly fits the aesthetic of blending int the background.
    If I was in the market for a new portable speaker, I'd save up money for this one!

Indeed! Crazy expensive as most B&O products are, but it sure looks great! Just watched a video on how it works, and it looks like the speaker I should have got, instead of the bluetooth one I already own.

My Echo Studios have a similar function regarding adjusting sound to its environment. I have almost paid of my Studio's so may get another speaker... not that I need one lol

How many speakers do you got now, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns? :))

I'm probably set for speakers for some years to come really, with the vintage speakers and the Marshall bluetooth speaker I have. Lately I've been thinking of maybe getting rid of one pair of speakers, but as long as I don't have to, I think I will keep them all.

I think 11 though I gave a couple of Bluetooth speakers I have had for years away lol

I could do with another Echo speaker in my Gym room there is a area that is a blank spot for sound.

Echo speakers just work so well as all linked no matter which room they are in.

I rarely use my Bose soundbar for my TV now unless I use my Xbox One X Console.

My PC speakers are the only old style speakers I have with no Bluetooth.

11?! Do you get to use them all?

That's the great thing about speakers you can pair with each other; the opportunity to get a true multi room experience is just limited by your wallet. I've thought about the buying myself some Sonos speakers, but the limited life cycle has got me a bit cautious doing so. But I guess that's the problem with software these days, and not just with Sonos. They sound good though.

I've still yet to give soundbars a try. It's been a purchase I've considered making, but I don't think I'll get the most use out of one. I hope to find a solution where I'll be able to hook up one of my old speakers to the TV and Apple TV. If I do, then I should be covered as far as TV sound improvement goes. Similarly I'd be interested to be able to hook up a second pair of vintage speakers to my laptop somehow.

9 are in constant use ( I have 15 including 3 portable Bluetooth Speakers oh and one of my Echo speakers I no longer use,I forgot about them). 8 are Echo speakers which I am constantly playing music on.

I use my Soundbar as primary Speaker for my TV, so anything hooked up to my TV will go through the Soundbar. On my 4K Firestick I choose to use the Echo Studios as 90% of the time I watch movies, YouTube and Football etc through my Firestick.
    Firestick's really have upped there options in recent years. For a long time I used Roku on my TV's for streaming though Amazon really upped there game.

I listen to Spotify and Amazon Music etc often through my TV so can use either set speakers.

Indeed! Crazy expensive as most B&O products are, but it sure looks great! Just watched a video on how it works, and it looks like the speaker I should have got, instead of the bluetooth one I already own.

My Echo Studios have a similar function regarding adjusting sound to its environment. I have almost paid of my Studio's so may get another speaker... not that I need one lol

I'm probably set for speakers for some years to come really, with the vintage speakers and the Marshall bluetooth speaker I have. Lately I've been thinking of maybe getting rid of one pair of speakers, but as long as I don't have to, I think I will keep them all.

I think 11 though I gave a couple of Bluetooth speakers I have had for years away lol

I could do with another Echo speaker in my Gym room there is a area that is a blank spot for sound.

That's the great thing about speakers you can pair with each other; the opportunity to get a true multi room experience is just limited by your wallet. I've thought about the buying myself some Sonos speakers, but the limited life cycle has got me a bit cautious doing so. But I guess that's the problem with software these days, and not just with Sonos. They sound good though.

I've still yet to give soundbars a try. It's been a purchase I've considered making, but I don't think I'll get the most use out of one. I hope to find a solution where I'll be able to hook up one of my old speakers to the TV and Apple TV. If I do, then I should be covered as far as TV sound improvement goes. Similarly I'd be interested to be able to hook up a second pair of vintage speakers to my laptop somehow.

9 are in constant use ( I have 15 including 3 portable Bluetooth Speakers oh and one of my Echo speakers I no longer use,I forgot about them). 8 are Echo speakers which I am constantly playing music on.

I use my Soundbar as primary Speaker for my TV, so anything hooked up to my TV will go through the Soundbar. On my 4K Firestick I choose to use the Echo Studios as 90% of the time I watch movies, YouTube and Football etc through my Firestick.
    Firestick's really have upped there options in recent years. For a long time I used Roku on my TV's for streaming though Amazon really upped there game.

I listen to Spotify and Amazon Music etc often through my TV so can use either set speakers.

Interesting! I don't know how big your place is, but with so many speakers in use (and I imagine the Echo's often at the same time), do you ever feel it overwhelming to have that many sources of sound playing around the rooms in your home? I have limited amount of space available and can't have that many sources playing at the same time, hence the question. :-)

The Firestick 4K looks a tempting option to my Apple TV. I got several Apple products and it makes sense to stick to the brand when it comes to a media player, but my Apple TV is an earlier, non-4K gen player, and if I make the jump to a 4K TV at some point, it might be worth looking at options. I see the Firestick is cheaper too.

That's a really nice looking speaker @BonSimonLeBon! Have you listened to the Silver 100 speakers before?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The old Sanyo hi-fi system in my work area has finally been replaced - the volume dial doesn't work properly, giving me the option of either too quiet or too loud. I suppose it's just a matter of taking the dial off and cleaning away the dust inside, but instead, I got a new Panasonic mini hi-fi system, and now can play my own stuff from a USB. I am tired of what the radio stations are playing here. I'm really happy with the stereo, it's small, but pumps hard. However, I fully expected it to access the many digital radio stations, which it does not. It's great to have a remote too, so I can operate it from across the warehouse. Also comes with CD player and bluetooth.

s-l640.jpg
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 17,280
    QBranch wrote: »
    The old Sanyo hi-fi system in my work area has finally been replaced - the volume dial doesn't work properly, giving me the option of either too quiet or too loud. I suppose it's just a matter of taking the dial off and cleaning away the dust inside, but instead, I got a new Panasonic mini hi-fi system, and now can play my own stuff from a USB. I am tired of what the radio stations are playing here. I'm really happy with the stereo, it's small, but pumps hard. However, I fully expected it to access the many digital radio stations, which it does not. It's great to have a remote too, so I can operate it from across the warehouse. Also comes with CD player and bluetooth.

s-l640.jpg

There are a lot of good mini systems out there, which is great if you don't have much space available (like myself!). They usually punch above their weight sound wise too. What's the size of this Panasonic system, @QBranch?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 13,930
    Main unit: W: 184mm; H: 123mm; D: 228mm
    Speakers: W: 139mm; H: 224mm; D: 136mm
    Total size: W: 462mm; H: 224mm; D: 228mm

10cm cone speakers. Speaker wire length is about a metre.

The remote is small too, at about 9-10cm long.

Full specs here:

https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/home-entertainment/hi-fi/sc-pm250.html
    QBranch wrote: »
    Main unit: W: 184mm; H: 123mm; D: 228mm
    Speakers: W: 139mm; H: 224mm; D: 136mm
    Total size: W: 462mm; H: 224mm; D: 228mm

10cm cone speakers. Speaker wire length is about a metre.

The remote is small too, at about 9-10cm long.

Full specs here:

https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/home-entertainment/hi-fi/sc-pm250.html

That's very compact! This is all you need really, for regular listening. The only thing missing, as you pointed out, looks to be digital radio stations. But you can always play through and external source via bluetooth I guess.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Interesting! I don't know how big your place is, but with so many speakers in use (and I imagine the Echo's often at the same time), do you ever feel it overwhelming to have that many sources of sound playing around the rooms in your home? I have limited amount of space available and can't have that many sources playing at the same time, hence the question. :-)

The Firestick 4K looks a tempting option to my Apple TV. I got several Apple products and it makes sense to stick to the brand when it comes to a media player, but my Apple TV is an earlier, non-4K gen player, and if I make the jump to a 4K TV at some point, it might be worth looking at options. I see the Firestick is cheaper too.

That's a really nice looking speaker @BonSimonLeBon! Have you listened to the Silver 100 speakers before?

Just bought a second Firetv 4K Fire Stick I needed to upgrade one of my Fire TVs that was becoming temperamental. Just looking at speakers now on Amazon as they have a limited time price reduction. Thinking of getting two 4th Gen Echos, the globe shaped ones.
    echo-4th-gen-front-top-down-100863148-large.jpg

Just bought a second Firetv 4K Fire Stick I needed to upgrade one of my Fire TVs that was becoming temperamental. Just looking at speakers now on Amazon as they have a limited time price reduction. Thinking of getting two 4th Gen Echos, the globe shaped ones.

What was the issue with the Fire TV stick you already had?

Amazon are really churning out those Echo speakers! If you get a pair of 4th gen Echo speakers, are you planning on having them in addition to the ones you already got, or as a replacement for some of them?

Amazon are really churning out those Echo speakers! If you get a pair of 4th gen Echo speakers, are you planning on having them in addition to the ones you already got, or as a replacement for some of them?

The older Fire TV box I got maybe 8 years ago maybe longer so older tech, the voice remote stopped working and the device has frozen a few times probably due to slower processor not handling modern updates.

The two Echos would go into the echo system they are both higher quality, I will put them in my gym room with two other speakers I already have in that room. Monthly payments which is good.

The older Fire TV box I got maybe 8 years ago maybe longer so older tech, the voice remote stopped working and the device has frozen a few times probably due to slower processor not handling modern updates.

The two Echos would go into the echo system they are both higher quality, I will put them in my gym room with two other speakers I already have in that room. Monthly payments which is good.

That seems a valid reason for an upgrade. I've had what looks to be a similar issue with my Apple TV as the device has frozen up sometimes too. It's not been a major issue though, so I expect the device to last some more years still. It's probably 6-7 years since I got it.

How big is that room? Four speakers sure sounds a lot for a single room, haha!

That seems a valid reason for an upgrade. I've had what looks to be a similar issue with my Apple TV as the device has frozen up sometimes too. It's not been a major issue though, so I expect the device to last some more years still. It's probably 6-7 years since I got it.

its decent size with two speakers already in there there is a blind spot.

Gundagan scores again, wrong thread lol

I have a kitchen that opens up to the room and have two speakers in there also, the speakers when cheap are good value and as already have Echo system I try to maximize the potential.

I have a kitchen that opens up to the room and have two speakers in there also, the speakers when cheap are good value and as already have Echo system I try to maximize the potential.

What volume are you playing at usually? I play at quite low volumes, and tend to notice blind spots that way. But it's rarely an issue really, I quite like to have spots that aren't filled with sounds.

If you're able to maximise a system without having to spend loads, then it's maybe worth doing. I see people usually get more than one Sonos speaker if they can, for example. Of course, with the Ikea collaboration, you can do that a bit cheaper.
  • ThunderballThunderball playing Chemin de Fer in a casino, downing Vespers
    Unfortunately, the way I’m currently listening to music, my favorite thing in the world, is less than ideal, to put it mildly: streaming. It’s really all I got. I used to own more than 700 CDs (not counting box set), but not anymore. Those were the days.
    Unfortunately, the way I’m currently listening to music, my favorite thing in the world, is less than ideal, to put it mildly: streaming. It’s really all I got. I used to own more than 700 CDs (not counting box set), but not anymore. Those were the days.

I downsized my CD collection a couple of years ago, but decided I couldn't part with the format completely. How do you feel streaming is less than ideal? Is it the sound, the availability of certain albums and songs, or the lack of physical products?

What volume are you playing at usually? I play at quite low volumes, and tend to notice blind spots that way. But it's rarely an issue really, I quite like to have spots that aren't filled with sounds.

If you're able to maximise a system without having to spend loads, then it's maybe worth doing. I see people usually get more than one Sonos speaker if they can, for example. Of course, with the Ikea collaboration, you can do that a bit cheaper.

Sometimes volume 3 of 10 or 4. I am not one for blasting music. Not decided on which speakers to get yet not keen on new look of the Echos the Spheres will look out of place.

I have kept majority of my CD's I have three CD stands on display with mainly movie and Bond scores. The rest of my CD's are in two large plastic storage boxes.
  • ThunderballThunderball playing Chemin de Fer in a casino, downing Vespers

I downsized my CD collection a couple of years ago, but decided I couldn't part with the format completely. How do you feel streaming is less than ideal? Is it the sound, the availability of certain albums and songs, or the lack of physical products?

The first two. Plus I just have a big appreciation for physical media.

Sometimes volume 3 of 10 or 4. I am not one for blasting music. Not decided on which speakers to get yet not keen on new look of the Echos the Spheres will look out of place.

The new Echos look a bit different, that's for sure. It depends on how much the looks mean to you, I guess. Companies like Sonos are great in that way; their products may look different depending on what use they're for, but not jarringly different.

For me, the look of a speaker means about just as much as the actual sound. If there's something I quite don't like about the looks of a speaker – either the colour /colours, the finish, the dials, touch panel or whatever, it really doesn't matter how good it sounds or how much it offers for the price.

The first two. Plus I just have a big appreciation for physical media.

It happens less regularly for me these days, but it does happen occasionally that my streaming service(s) of choice don't have the albums I'm looking for. As for sound, I think streaming is getting better and better, though you need to find a streaming source you'll be happy with – either a smart speaker or a separate music streamer you can connect to your stereo system. Of course, what streaming will never be able to replace is the handling of the physical album – either putting the CD in the disk tray of your CD player, or placing the vinyl on the platter before lowering the arm.

I ended up downsizing my CD collection to a manageable size, ditching the jewel cases for sleeves for most albums to save further space. I got some vinyl too, but the collection is small enough that I can still buy more albums if I like.
    @Torgeirtrap I may get a previous gen Echo the tall cylinder to match up with one i already have, though it appears to be a discontinued line will have to shop around.
    @Torgeirtrap I may get a previous gen Echo the tall cylinder to match up with one i already have, though it appears to be a discontinued line will have to shop around.

Would think that some online shops have the older gen cylinder speakers available. If not, there's always Ebay and similar sites!

Would think that some online shops have the older gen cylinder speakers available. If not, there's always Ebay and similar sites!

Seen some refurbished though not cheap enough to warrant buying second hand, looks like I will end up going with the spheres.

Seen some refurbished though not cheap enough to warrant buying second hand, looks like I will end up going with the spheres.

You never know with second hand tech of course, so it's no doubt safer to go for the most recent model, delivered from Amazon itself – especially of the price for an older gen model isn't significantly cheaper than the recent one(s). Are there any major upgrades re. the tech with the spheres? If there's a significant difference, then that's another reason to pick them.

You never know with second hand tech of course, so it's no doubt safer to go for the most recent model, delivered from Amazon itself – especially of the price for an older gen model isn't significantly cheaper than the recent one(s). Are there any major upgrades re. the tech with the spheres? If there's a significant difference, then that's another reason to pick them.

Some reviews say the sound is much better and the speakers are more directional with sound projection. I will order some later, I need to measure up where I will place them first as the spheres are much wider.

Edited: I had to scrap the idea the power cables are ridiculously short, thankfully someone pointed this out in a review. Where I want to position the speakers the cable would not reach. Not sure I am prepared to pay extra for two power lead extensions.

Edited: Ended up ordering two lol will find a work around with cables. The speakers have spacial sensors like the Echo Studios to sense acoustics of the room which made my mind up.

Some reviews say the sound is much better and the speakers are more directional with sound projection. I will order some later, I need to measure up where I will place them first as the spheres are much wider.

Edited: I had to scrap the idea the power cables are ridiculously short, thankfully someone pointed this out in a review. Where I want to position the speakers the cable would not reach. Not sure I am prepared to pay extra for two power lead extensions.

Edited: Ended up ordering two lol will find a work around with cables. The speakers have spacial sensors like the Echo Studios to sense acoustics of the room which made my mind up.

Lead extensions aren't that pricy, are they? It's a bit annoying to have to make an additional purchase just to be able to put the speaker where you want them though.

I always struggle with cable management when it comes to speakers and other tech. No matter how I try to fit them together with clips or other kinds of organisers, it never ends up looking the way I want it to.

Spacial sensors are a nice feature. Let us know how the speakers sound like when you have got the chance to give them a try!

Lead extensions aren't that pricy, are they? It's a bit annoying to have to make an additional purchase just to be able to put the speaker where you want them though.

I always struggle with cable management when it comes to speakers and other tech. No matter how I try to fit them together with clips or other kinds of organisers, it never ends up looking the way I want it to.

Spacial sensors are a nice feature. Let us know how the speakers sound like when you have got the chance to give them a try!

A few of the Echo's have different types of cables, also the extended cables I have looked at previously were third party with mixed reviews regarding there effectiveness.

My cable management is better since the fire (My place was not on fire though it prompted me to risk assess everything), I upgraded all my socket towers to the best on the market re: safety specs. I also have colour coded labels on the cables and use different cable tidy tubes.

A few of the Echo's have different types of cables, also the extended cables I have looked at previously were third party with mixed reviews regarding there effectiveness.

My cable management is better since the fire (My place was not on fire though it prompted me to risk assess everything), I upgraded all my socket towers to the best on the market re: safety specs. I also have colour coded labels on the cables and use different cable tidy tubes.

Do Amazon offer any cables themselves?

Smart! I don't have any socket towers myself, just regular extension leads. I try not to have all kinds of gadgets hooked up to them at all times though. I've been looking at getting some cable tubes. The tubes I've seen in shops have looked a bit flimsy and/or clunky, so I just need to find some that works well.

Smart! I don't have any socket towers myself, just regular extension leads. I try not to have all kinds of gadgets hooked up to them at all times though. I've been looking at getting some cable tubes. The tubes I've seen in shops have looked a bit flimsy and/or clunky, so I just need to find some that works well.

71Qry+qM+BL._AC_SL1305_.jpg
    I use these and colour code each lead/cable at either end with cable stickers to easily identify the appliance.

Amazon do not appear to do the extended cables, only found replacement cables which are the same size. Speakers arrive tomorrow so will see if I can do a work around and save money.

I use these and colour code each lead/cable at either end with cable stickers to easily identify the appliance.

Amazon do not appear to do the extended cables, only found replacement cables which are the same size. Speakers arrive tomorrow so will see if I can do a work around and save money.

Colour coding is my plan too when I eventually find the optimal cable tubes. Those I've had a look at looked kinda similar to those above (only white), but they didn't look like tubes that would last long, especially if moving stuff around. Don't expect there will be an issue finding some decent ones though. Maybe it will be worth checking out hi-fi shops.

That's a pity. Hi-fi shops usually offer high quality cables, though they might be a bit expensive.

Colour coding is my plan too when I eventually find the optimal cable tubes. Those I've had a look at looked kinda similar to those above (only white), but they didn't look like tubes that would last long, especially if moving stuff around. Don't expect there will be an issue finding some decent ones though. Maybe it will be worth checking out hi-fi shops.

That's a pity. Hi-fi shops usually offer high quality cables, though they might be a bit expensive.

The problem here is no high street shops are open and most won't open again the way things are changing. We will probably be in Lockdown for sometime yet here despite other country's relaxing restrictions.

The tubes I use I have had no issue the plastic is strong and being black vanish when under shelfs or behind the TV.

Edited: Wow these speakers are fantastic, great base and mid range, very happy I bought them the whole room fills with sound. They are smaller than expected and look better for it. You really can hear the premium quality sound.

The smart speakers I have now...
    Echo Studio x2
    Echo 4th Gen x2
    Echo Dot 3rd Gen x2
    Echo Show 5 x2
    Echo Plus 2nd Gen*
    Echo Flex*

*not currently plugged in lol

The problem here is no high street shops are open and most won't open again the way things are changing. We will probably be in Lockdown for sometime yet here despite other country's relaxing restrictions.

The tubes I use I have had no issue the plastic is strong and being black vanish when under shelfs or behind the TV.

Edited: Wow these speakers are fantastic, great base and mid range, very happy I bought them the whole room fills with sound. They are smaller than expected and look better for it. You really can hear the premium quality sound.

The smart speakers I have now...
    Echo Studio x2
    Echo 4th Gen x2
    Echo Dot 3rd Gen x2
    Echo Show 5 x2
    Echo Plus 2nd Gen*
    Echo Flex*

*not currently plugged in lol

Yes, you might have to find a store with an webshop. Checking out the webshop one of the major hi-fi chains here, and they sell speaker cables by meter length.

That's the issue I had with those I looked at; the plastic was easy to bend the way you'd like, but it felt a bit cheap. I'd prefer a bit more strong plastic.

Great! How do they compare to the other Echo speakers you got? Any noticeable differences?