How do you listen to music?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @Torgeirtrap Its currently Prime day on Amazon been looking at speakers and turn tables etc to see if there are any bargains, not found anything as yet today is the last day of the sale. Is amazon delivery still an issue where you are?

Since i can remember i have always used external speakers when possible for my computers, it makes such a difference, certainly in the digital age when on my PC I rarely don't play music or have YouTube playing whilst working on computer.

The delivery opportunities varies from product to product, and if it's a product sold by Amazon, or by another company (and just purchased through Amazon). I couldn't purchase Echo products through Amazon UK previously, but it looks like I can do that now.

I prefer using external speakers too, but these last few years I've used earbuds or headphones when using my Macbook at home. But when I'm stuck working on something for several hours, it would be great to have an alternative – other than playing music through the internal speakers (which admittedly aren't bad).

Had to uninstall Boom 3D on PC it completely stopped working today wont even open, looked on Microsoft store others had same issues. Hopefully developers will sort it out or will have to look for an alternative or buy a better Amp.

I'm planning on getting Boom 3D soon. Keep us posted on the issues!

Will do, I'll leave the App unnstalled a few days then try it again. It's definately a Windows 10 issue as the App is working fine on my Android phone.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,325
    Boom 3D not accessible at all now on Windows 10, I can't even reinstall it, maybe they are trying to sort the issue.

In mean time trialing another audio enhancer called FxSound the trial wont let me use presets though you can make your own, its pretty good I like the interface, its clean and minimalistic...

XBAFGow.png
    @Torgeirtrap Its currently Prime day on Amazon been looking at speakers and turn tables etc to see if there are any bargains, not found anything as yet today is the last day of the sale. Is amazon delivery still an issue where you are?

Since i can remember i have always used external speakers when possible for my computers, it makes such a difference, certainly in the digital age when on my PC I rarely don't play music or have YouTube playing whilst working on computer.

The delivery opportunities varies from product to product, and if it's a product sold by Amazon, or by another company (and just purchased through Amazon). I couldn't purchase Echo products through Amazon UK previously, but it looks like I can do that now.

I prefer using external speakers too, but these last few years I've used earbuds or headphones when using my Macbook at home. But when I'm stuck working on something for several hours, it would be great to have an alternative – other than playing music through the internal speakers (which admittedly aren't bad).

Had to uninstall Boom 3D on PC it completely stopped working today wont even open, looked on Microsoft store others had same issues. Hopefully developers will sort it out or will have to look for an alternative or buy a better Amp.

Will do, I'll leave the App unnstalled a few days then try it again. It's definately a Windows 10 issue as the App is working fine on my Android phone.

Hopefully it's just a temporary issue.
    Boom 3D not accessible at all now on Windows 10, I can't even reinstall it, maybe they are trying to sort the issue.

In mean time trialing another audio enhancer called FxSound the trial wont let me use presets though you can make your own, its pretty good I like the interface, its clean and minimalistic...

XBAFGow.png

Had a quick look on the website, but it doesn't look like FxSound is available for macOS…

XBAFGow.png

Had a quick look on the website, but it doesn't look like FxSound is available for macOS…

Just double checked myself, initially did not realise it was Windows exclusively, Its a shame its pretty good I am happy yo use the free version at the moment.

I am going to check some more audio Enhancement software later.

Edited: Just downloaded a open source software called Equalizer APO, it allows you to set up presets (Equalizer/Preamplification/Loudness correctness) for individual devices connected to your computer, so you can set up different presets for external speakers, internal speakers, Mic's and so on. Not sure if there is a Mac equivalent, though its worth seeing what open source free software is available.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 17,279

XBAFGow.png

Just double checked myself, initially did not realise it was Windows exclusively, Its a shame its pretty good I am happy yo use the free version at the moment.

Edited: Just downloaded a open source software called Equalizer APO, it allows you to set up presets (Equalizer/Preamplification/Loudness correctness) for individual devices connected to your computer, so you can set up different presets for external speakers, internal speakers, Mic's and so on. Not sure if there is a Mac equivalent, though its worth seeing what open source free software is available.

Yes, it would have been great if FxSound came with a macOS version too, but that's just the way it is with apps sometimes, unfortunately.

Couldn't find anything about Equalizer APO for macOS, but a Google search led me to a Reddit thread about equalizer apps for macOS, so I might give some of the apps there a try.

XBAFGow.png

Yes, it would have been great if FxSound came with a macOS version too, but that's just the way it is with apps sometimes, unfortunately.

Couldn't find anything about Equalizer APO for macOS, but a Google search led me to a Reddit thread about equalizer apps for macOS, so I might give some of the apps there a try.

Equalizer APO
    after watching a few tutorial videos is very good for something that is free, when going into danger areas of what the speakers are capable off it indicates with a red zone which is helpful and protects your tech. Its basic in design though does exactly what I need it t do...

4opTukI.png

I like the fact you can do different settings for different devices, after tweaking I found a sweet spot for majority of my albums.

You can set multiple equalizers and toggle between them. here I have set up an individual gain for each equalizer...

hsAqktq.png

Over the years I have found some good open source software Its always worth looking.

I am still on Leave so time on my hands I will check some more software today, plus its given me an excuse to play some old music I have not listened in years lol

Edited: I found an addon for Equalizer APO called PEACE its a customisable GUI and its got all the presets and multiple other options, including change of appearance to match your desktop...

3t6BQcl.png

What has been interesting messing around with this software is seeing how often it automatically reduces gain to protect my speakers on different settings. Its really illustrated to me the capabilities or rather lack of capabilities of my Creative PC speakers :))
    This is really cool! Equalizer APO looks like a really advanced piece of software for something that is free. How easy is it to toggle between the various equalizer settings? Do you have a shortcut, for example?
    This is really cool! Equalizer APO looks like a really advanced piece of software for something that is free. How easy is it to toggle between the various equalizer settings? Do you have a shortcut, for example?

Equalizer APO
    itself you have to switch on the Equalizer you want to use (keep all the others switched off).

With the PEACE addon on the image I posted above zoom in on the left hand side the large grey box there are presets... 7.1 set up, Bass and high boost, Base and high boost 2 and so on (you can add your own equalizers also).

I was listening to Come in 007, Your time is up track, that really pushes the gain to the max, that track acts as a good barometer.

Edited: I removed the PEACE addon for now, I can zero in more effectively the sound I want with Equalizer APO.

• edited June 2021 Posts: 17,279

Equalizer APO
    itself you have to switch on the Equalizer you want to use (keep all the others switched off).

With the PEACE addon on the image I posted above zoom in on the left hand side the large grey box there are presets... 7.1 set up, Bass and high boost, Base and high boost 2 and so on (you can add your own equalizers also).

I was listening to Come in 007, Your time is up track, that really pushes the gain to the max, that track acts as a good barometer.

Edited: I removed the PEACE addon for now, I can zero in more effectively the sound I want with Equalizer APO.

Figured it might be the case that you had to have the equalizer open. It would have been great if you could just have a shortcut way to switch between presets, as there's always different needs for different kind of music – and even different artists/bands.

Come in 007, Your time is up is a great track!

Think I might just end up buying Boom 3D eventually. I'm sure the various free apps can do wonders for the sound, but as I was already getting used to having Boom, it will no doubt be worth the money.

Equalizer APO

Figured it might be the case that you had to have the equalizer open. It would have been great if you could just have a shortcut way to switch between presets, as there's always different needs for different kind of music – and even different artists/bands.

Think I might just end up buying Boom 3D eventually. I'm sure the various free apps can do wonders for the sound, but as I was already getting used to having Boom, it will no doubt be worth the money.

Boom 3D is great its my default music player on my phone, I have no idea whats going on with the Windows version though.

With Equalizer APO I found the sweet spot settings, when you close the app its set permanently to what ever device you have assigned to. So you can have one set of settings for head phones, different settings for internal speakers or external speakers, different setting for mic. Or you could just have the same settings for all four.

The addon is the same though with the addon you can just flick through Bass, Rock etc.

Equalizer APO

Boom 3D is great its my default music player on my phone, I have no idea whats going on with the Windows version though.

With Equalizer APO I found the sweet spot settings, when you close the app its set permanently to what ever device you have assigned to. So you can have one set of settings for head phones, different settings for internal speakers or external speakers, different setting for mic. Or you could just have the same settings for all four.

The addon is the same though with the addon you can just flick through Bass, Rock etc.

That's a nice feature on the Equalizer APO; it would be a bit annoying having to switch setting each time you change devices. I tend to switch listening from the internal speakers, a set of airpods and a set of airphones on my Macbook every day, so having dedicated settings for each of them would be great.
    Sainsbury's stops selling CDs and DVDs
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/business-57763301.amp
    Another nail in the coffin of physical media, where I live Sainsbury's is one of the few places left where I can purchase Bluray's etc on the High street.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 17,279
    Another nail in the coffin of physical media, where I live Sainsbury's is one of the few places left where I can purchase Bluray's etc on the High street.

I have only one supermarket in my hometown where I can buy CD's and a reasonably good selection of Blu-rays/DVDs from. Or I think so, as I haven't been there in a long time. A bit sad really that there aren't more stores offering physical media, but these days I prefer doing my physical media shopping online anyway.

I have only one supermarket in my hometown where I can buy CD's and a reasonably good selection of Blu-rays/DVDs from. Or I think so, as I haven't been there in a long time. A bit sad really that there aren't more stores offering physical media, but these days I prefer doing my physical media shopping online anyway.

It is inevitable the high street shops have been in demise for some time now, physical media hopefully will be available for some time to come.

Could you image if all digital media became inaccessible that is a lot of money down drain the drain, I never feel like I truly own digital Media despite buying a lot of it.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 23,325
    @Torgeirtrap The Elgato STREAM DECK was on offer so could not resist, it arrives tomorrow though will have to wait until Sunday to play around with it.

eg10gaa9901_3.jpg

eg10gaa9901_1.jpg

Its quite an upgrade on my programmable macro pad. I will use it mainly for quick access, graphic design software and media content and if I ever decide to stream got an excellent tool ready.

Apparently I will be able to control my smart home with it also.

Edited: It looks like I can assign a key to individual albums I have on my PC, the keys will have the Album covers on also how cool is that. That's what I really want this for :))

Of course I will have an assigned key with picture logo for MI6 Community :))
    The stream deck is amazing, so many things you can do with it.

Setting up a Spotify control feature on it at the moment. Also started to create a jukebox section to play any of my native music with the press of a button.

The multi function buttons are great, for example soon as I open a Graphic Design app it sends a signal to automatically turn the stream deck into the hotkeys for that specific App.

It is inevitable the high street shops have been in demise for some time now, physical media hopefully will be available for some time to come.

Could you image if all digital media became inaccessible that is a lot of money down drain the drain, I never feel like I truly own digital Media despite buying a lot of it.

Late reply to this one: Indeed, physical media looks to be in a real decline – at least in ordinary street shops. I imagine stuff like collectors releases (Critierion etc) will still have a future (at least for a while).

Digital media becoming inaccessible is a bit of a worry for me as well. The releases I feel are important to own, I try to get a physical copy of. The digital downloads I have are mostly titles I just find cool to own.

Setting up a Spotify control feature on it at the moment. Also started to create a jukebox section to play any of my native music with the press of a button.

The multi function buttons are great, for example soon as I open a Graphic Design app it sends a signal to automatically turn the stream deck into the hotkeys for that specific App.

That deck looks like an interesting gadget. Of all the features you listed, which one do you think you'll get the most use out of?

Late reply to this one: Indeed, physical media looks to be in a real decline – at least in ordinary street shops. I imagine stuff like collectors releases (Critierion etc) will still have a future (at least for a while).

Digital media becoming inaccessible is a bit of a worry for me as well. The releases I feel are important to own, I try to get a physical copy of. The digital downloads I have are mostly titles I just find cool to own.

That deck looks like an interesting gadget. Of all the features you listed, which one do you think you'll get the most use out of?

So far mainly music, I spent hours programming it and customising it yesterday. The buttons are infinite and can be all animated. I have put a few animations on keys. Re: My Matrix Reloaded Album all the keys for the tracks are animated Matrix code lol

A long way to go with using the full capabilities though already set up a System key folder for CMD window, hibernate, sleep, shut down keys etc. This thing speeds things up tremendously.

I have set up a web page subsection with a key for all the regular sites I visit so instant access to sites, no scrolling anymore through favourites etc.

I have a sub menu for native films and TV on my PC for instant play for each at the press of a button and set up a control panel on it to control which ever media is playing... play, stop, volume, mute fast forward etc. The great thing is you can add any icon you want I already had a folder with loads of icons I have downloaded over the years and went online looked for more yesterday.

Its an amazing gadget and the functionality is far more than what I have set up so far. It's usually around £150 got this for £95 in sale, money well spent for me I love gadgets.

Edited:Just learnt how to set up a key for individual folders re: a key per image folder... click of a button opens my Bond Art folder without navigating anything.

Just added the first 3 Bond soundtracks to my Jukebox section, with album art on every key including tracks lol. I like the retro mechanical key aspect of clicking through my music this way.

Awesome just programmed all the GIMP hot keys into the Stream Deck, as soon as I open GIMP 2.8 App the Stream Deck displays all the tools on the buttons, when I close the app the Stream Deck reverts to my Default profile on the Stream Deck automatically. This would be ideal for you @Torgeirtrap

…I am struggling to find a GIMP Icon pack with individual images of tools to place on the Stream Deck keys to identify each tool.

Worse case scenario I could get a high res image of all the Tools and cut individually though that is time consuming.

Edited: I found a Photoshop Icon pack on the Elgato store, 70 Icons in total many are the same as GIMP hopefully all I need will be there. [-O<

Edited: I ended up cutting each individual icon from a high res image, it actually looks pretty good...

7m8Crvw.jpg

B8jYU8E.jpg

5izwL8f.jpg

Really happy with these @Torgeirtrap turned out better than expected.

I will change the look of the arrow keys when I find some I like.

So far mainly music, I spent hours programming it and customising it yesterday. The buttons are infinite and can be all animated. I have put a few animations on keys. Re: My Matrix Reloaded Album all the keys for the tracks are animated Matrix code lol

A long way to go with using the full capabilities though already set up a System key folder for CMD window, hibernate, sleep, shut down keys etc. This thing speeds things up tremendously.

I have set up a web page subsection with a key for all the regular sites I visit so instant access to sites, no scrolling anymore through favourites etc.

I have a sub menu for native films and TV on my PC for instant play for each at the press of a button and set up a control panel on it to control which ever media is playing... play, stop, volume, mute fast forward etc. The great thing is you can add any icon you want I already had a folder with loads of icons I have downloaded over the years and went online looked for more yesterday.

Its an amazing gadget and the functionality is far more than what I have set up so far. It's usually around £150 got this for £95 in sale, money well spent for me I love gadgets.

Edited:Just learnt how to set up a key for individual folders re: a key per image folder... click of a button opens my Bond Art folder without navigating anything.

Just added the first 3 Bond soundtracks to my Jukebox section, with album art on every key including tracks lol. I like the retro mechanical key aspect of clicking through my music this way.

Awesome just programmed all the GIMP hot keys into the Stream Deck, as soon as I open GIMP 2.8 App the Stream Deck displays all the tools on the buttons, when I close the app the Stream Deck reverts to my Default profile on the Stream Deck automatically. This would be ideal for you @Torgeirtrap
    …I am struggling to find a GIMP Icon pack with individual images of tools to place on the Stream Deck keys to identify each tool.

Worse case scenario I could get a high res image of all the Tools and cut individually though that is time consuming.

Edited: I found a Photoshop Icon pack on the Elgato store, 70 Icons in total many are the same as GIMP hopefully all I need will be there. [-O<

Edited: I ended up cutting each individual icon from a high res image, it actually looks pretty good...

7m8Crvw.jpg

B8jYU8E.jpg

5izwL8f.jpg

Wow! Really impressive functionalities, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns!

I'd be tempted to give this deck a try – most of all because I'm terrible at remembering the shortcuts in the Adobe programs I use. In Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, the same functionalities might have different shortcuts, which is very annoying when you switch between the programs – something that I usually do daily.

Will the deck be able to switch button setup if you jump from one app/program to another if both are still open?

7m8Crvw.jpg

B8jYU8E.jpg

5izwL8f.jpg

I'd be tempted to give this deck a try – most of all because I'm terrible at remembering the shortcuts in the Adobe programs I use. In Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, the same functionalities might have different shortcuts, which is very annoying when you switch between the programs – something that I usually do daily.

Will the deck be able to switch button setup if you jump from one app/program to another if both are still open?

Yeah you can set up a different control panel for an infinite amount of apps re: Photoshop or Spotify. Each control panel is a individual seperate profile, so when you open Photoshop a sequence of steps are activated that automatically changes the Stream Deck into the Photoshop tool box.

A couple of the Gimp tools don't have workable hot keys though it let's me create my own which I will do when I get chance. You can create infinite profiles, I have a quick access subsection where I can select anyone of them. I will create different looking main profiles ie just like changing pc wallpaper though far more in depth.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 17,279

7m8Crvw.jpg

B8jYU8E.jpg

5izwL8f.jpg

Yeah you can set up a different control panel for an infinite amount of apps re: Photoshop or Spotify. Each control panel is a individual seperate profile, so when you open Photoshop a sequence of steps are activated that automatically changes the Stream Deck into the Photoshop tool box.

A couple of the Gimp tools don't have workable hot keys though it let's me create my own which I will do when I get chance. You can create infinite profiles, I have a quick access subsection where I can select anyone of them. I will create different looking main profiles ie just like changing pc wallpaper though far more in depth.

That's really cool! How do you scroll/switch from one set of controls to another when using GIMP, for example?

7m8Crvw.jpg

B8jYU8E.jpg

5izwL8f.jpg

That's really cool! How do you scroll/switch from one set of controls to another when using GIMP, for example?

I have an arrow to press on each page that takes me to the next set of tools on the next page of keys.

Whilst in GIMP if I want to go to my main profile homepage I have a key to press that will take me directly there and another programmed key to take me back to the GIMP tools profile.

7m8Crvw.jpg

B8jYU8E.jpg

5izwL8f.jpg

I have an arrow to press on each page that takes me to the next set of tools on the next page of keys.

Whilst in GIMP if I want to go to my main profile homepage I have a key to press that will take me directly there and another programmed key to take me back to the GIMP tools profile.

Nice. Programs like Photoshop and Illustrator have so many tools and shortcuts, that you need multiple sets of keys to navigate through. Smart solution having keys to go back and forth between the program and the profile homepage.

Have you noticed any drawbacks with the deck now that you've had it for some days?

7m8Crvw.jpg

B8jYU8E.jpg

5izwL8f.jpg

Nice. Programs like Photoshop and Illustrator have so many tools and shortcuts, that you need multiple sets of keys to navigate through.

Have you noticed any drawbacks with the deck now that you've had it for some days?

I will set up other profiles for other programs on my days off.

No draw backs at all in fact I am constantly surprised by what other cool stuff it can do, there are hundreds of Stream Deck videos on YouTube, I have already watched several videos already, thinking of programming it to do other things from tomorrow (got 6 days off).

Its money well spent and with one main profile complete (gone for a animated blue/silver design) it looks great aesthetically.
    be1VEMR.jpg
    Above is the home screen, all the keys are animated, not the best of photo's lighting not great.

I plan on making a James Bond main profile so all the keys are James Bond themed.
    @Torgeirtrap I have started building my Bond Album Jukebox...

SvQj59x.jpg

The keys are crystal clear for me though getting glare on my camera, the keys do look great.

7m8Crvw.jpg

B8jYU8E.jpg

5izwL8f.jpg

Nice. Programs like Photoshop and Illustrator have so many tools and shortcuts, that you need multiple sets of keys to navigate through.

No draw backs at all in fact I am constantly surprised by what other cool stuff it can do, there are hundreds of Stream Deck videos on YouTube, I have already watched several videos already, thinking of programming it to do other things from tomorrow (got 6 days off).

Its money well spent and with one main profile complete (gone for a animated blue/silver design) it looks great aesthetically.
    be1VEMR.jpg
    Above is the home screen, all the keys are animated, not the best of photo's lighting not great.

I plan on making a James Bond main profile so all the keys are James Bond themed.

SvQj59x.jpg

The keys are crystal clear for me though getting glare on my camera, the keys do look great.

This looks great! Having you favourite (Bond) albums available like that is handy. Not that pulling up Spotify, finding the album you want to listen to and press play is time consuming, but still. Actually, connecting this one with Spotify and making a playlist feature could be cool. Have you connected the deck with any other gadgets, speakers, etc. yet?

7m8Crvw.jpg

B8jYU8E.jpg

5izwL8f.jpg

be1VEMR.jpg

SvQj59x.jpg

This looks great! Having you favourite (Bond) albums available like that is handy. Not that pulling up Spotify, finding the album you want to listen to and press play is time consuming, but still. Actually, connecting this one with Spotify and making a playlist feature could be cool. Have you connected the deck with any other gadgets, speakers, etc. yet?

The Spotify link up is really good apparently though only works if you subscribe to Spotify (I only have the free version).

Only connected to PC so far though need to set up IFTTT so it will control my smart home.

I just like the old school functionality of pressing buttons, selecting Album tracks reminds me of an old school jukebox.
    :)) Just learnt how to add sound effects to every key action, oh man going to have fun with this. I have already made my own sound board, going to make my own James Bond sound board also.

My Audacity software is going to come in handy.

7m8Crvw.jpg

B8jYU8E.jpg

5izwL8f.jpg

be1VEMR.jpg

SvQj59x.jpg

The Spotify link up is really good apparently though only works if you subscribe to Spotify (I only have the free version).

Only connected to PC so far though need to set up IFTTT so it will control my smart home.

I just like the old school functionality of pressing buttons, selecting Album tracks reminds me of an old school jukebox.

I got Spotify Premium, so that functionality should work fine then. I imagine this deck will work really well with music and home media :-)
    :)) Just learnt how to add sound effects to every key action, oh man going to have fun with this. I have already made my own sound board, going to make my own James Bond sound board also.

My Audacity software is going to come in handy.

Haha, that deck of yours will be the ultimate tool by the looks of it!