The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    bondjames wrote: »
    stag wrote: »
    I have a feeling there will be an attempt to push for a new referendum down the road. Almost 13m registered voters didn't show up in 2016, and with the new found youth (possibly liberal and remainer) mobilization, there will probably be an attempt to go for it again in the future.

It's possible, but personally I doubt anything would come of it. IMHO any 'vote until you reach the 'correct' verdict' would make a mockery of the whole system and throw the whole country into even more chaos. Many who wanted to remain should have got up off their arses and voted first time around. The UK voted out - end of. Oh, but it was by such a slim majority I hear the cry. It doesn't matter, the vote returned was to leave. Had the country voted to remain by the same margin, and 'leavers' continued to rattle the pots and pans, the remainers would say exactly the same thing.
    I completely agree with you that the results of a democratic vote should be respected. Having said that, I do get the feeling that the mood of the country has shifted since then, and if the vote were held now the results could be quite different as the consequences have been thought through more than they were in 2016.

As this drags out, and after the fiasco of a few days ago, there is a distinct possibility that something could happen. This feels like a divorce that some may be having second thoughts about, as the settlement likely won't be as beneficial as initially thought.

Damn shame the EU won't budge on its immigration 'pillar'.

Of course it's possible, but just as a small snapshot of the people within my circle (who come from various social/political strata) who voted out, the mood has hardened. Indeed the prevailing mood is that we should just get on with it. That's not because we fear a second referendum. I think many remainers have come to terms with the vote. They may not like the terms but are adult enough to respect the verdict. It's only those who have vested interests and/or the ear of the media, who are shouting loudest.
    @bondjames

it is destroying the working class in many countries.

You have hit the nail on the head. Many voters think this way. Yes, it can be argued - successfully in some instances - that national governments blame the EU to cover up their own failings, but when the ordinary folks see the negative impact upon their own lives and communities which have come about as a result of EU dictates, then it will only be so long before they will bite back at the ballot box.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I personally hope Britain moves forward with Brexit.

An exit deal with the EU is beneficial for both parties, so hopefully they both work together constructively and try to achieve a workable result which will benefit both sides.

The EU's problem is that if the deal looks too good for Britain (especially now, after a weakened negotiating position on account of the UK vote), then other countries will want to run for the exit. It's a precarious situation.

An exit deal with the EU is beneficial for both parties, so hopefully they both work together constructively and try to achieve a workable result which will benefit both sides.

The EU's problem is that if the deal looks too good for Britain (especially now, after a weakened negotiating position on account of the UK vote), then other countries will want to run for the exit. It's a precarious situation.

I think the biggest problem is our 'crashing out' on WTO rules after the two years have expired. This is an unfavourable position for all involved, but perhaps a tad more likely, especially if we see more party political turmoil.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,020
    stag wrote: »

I think the biggest problem is our 'crashing out' on WTO rules after the two years have expired. This is an unfavourable position for all involved, but perhaps a tad more likely, especially if we see more party political turmoil.
    Agreed. That won't be good for anyone, so hopefully they can get a deal and all the posturing can stop. Easier said than done though.
    ----

@BondJasonBond006, I was more confident that other countries would follow until I saw the French result. As I said, someone like Fillon I could understand, but Macron? There will definitely be an attempt to make an example out of the UK, but that may just scare other voters into submission.

The increasing tension between Washington and Berlin is also interesting, and could have major ramifications during the next four years.
    You're probably right @BondJasonBond006.

I suppose Fillon also split some of the conservative vote with Le Pen in the first round.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Are there actually some pro-EU people in here? Or at least people who understand how insanely complex Brexit is?
    Gerard wrote: »
    De Gaulle was right, that's all I'm saying. But after all, he was only following Churchill's words : "Between old Europe and the ocean, Great Britain will always choose the ocean". Now, one more step on the march to true independance : leave NATO, and close all the american military bases that are left in Great Britain.

Ah, who am I kidding : it will never happen.

I kind of agree with you here @Gerard. Make no mistake, De Gaulle was a hawk, and he tried everything in his power tomake sure that the UK would not join the EU. The funny thing is, it was a UK referendum that got the UK in the EU. Mostly, because all these poor Brits at the time (1974) saw how the economy on the Mainland functioned better than the UK economy.

With Michel Barnier as French EU-negotiator at the Brexit table, we got another Gaull-ian hawk. And he wants to get rid of the UK asap. The big problem now is the mess Theresa May is leaving behind.

An example: Barnier will say: ALL the hundreds of thousands of expats in the UK who now pay lots of British taxes, who are now married to other Brits, who now have babies who were born in the UK without a British passport, need to get a either a British passport.

Theresa May can not sell this in Westminster, because most Conservatives support a hard Brexit and want all these expats to leave the UK. Because that's what a hard Brexit means! And no one in here has given this any thought. So here you have only one of hundreds of negotiating points, in which the UK at this moment has a serious disadvantage.

So I think it's only valid to say that Brexit to the UK should be seen as cutting into a Siamese Twins. Most voters who supported Brexit obviously didn't see this complexity. But now it's going to haunt all Brits. How....fair.
    Voters who supported Brexit must be stupid and dumb then. Sounds to me like the argument we heard so much about Trump voters.

That's a bit harsh. But if you say that all Brexit-voters now exactly what the consequences of Brexit will be in the mid- to long-term, then I think you are more stupid than the average Brexit-voter. Or just plain ignorant. Not to mention the fact you -again- didn't read a thing from my previous comment. Your infusion of underbelly emotions basically blurs all proper debate on here. And again, you could have at least asked yourself what will happen to all these expats in the UK who live in uncertainty. Like most populist, you fully ignore that.
    I'm just glad, people like me, who seem to be ignorant, or don't know anything are still allowed to vote.
    Especially when I read some comments here.

It would help if you put your ignorance away a bit, and interpret news articles with an open mind, instead of finding nonsense stuff that suits your predetermined underbelly. And actually, I think that's the danger of democracy......people's ignorance and people who don't embrace the best obtainable truth or analysis. That includes people who are saying The Netherlands is a bigger threat to democracy than The UK. Such grotesque comparisons....fall flat on me when looking at Venezuela.

For instance, you still haven't responded to my worries about expats living in the UK. About all those hundreds of people in the UK who have a foreign passport, but who pay plentiful British taxes, whose babies were born in the UK and now need to endure lots of uncertainty in their lifes. Because we still don't know if they all get British passports as a massive gesture from Westminster (will not happen, because of the Johnson-wing within the Conservative Party), so they can go on with their lifes. Or if they all need to return to their original EU-nation, tearing down whole families. Nothing is certain until it's certain, which means that for now uncertainty will linger on.

And this new article from today actually shows more complexities. Just think a while about all those 10,000 people working in the UK for Airbus atm:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-airbus-idUSKBN19200C
    The electorates have had their chances to f*** their own countries up and with the notable exceptions of the UK and U.S. they've largely shown themselves averse to self immolation.

Predictably economic growth is plummeting in the UK and US as the crackpots screw things up for ordinary people.

May be 'failed' Europe is not quite as hopeless as some on the right would like to imagine.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    This just in :

1)Brexit: Theresa May says UK leaving EU court's jurisdiction.

Theresa May has insisted the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice in the UK will come to an end with Brexit.

As the government published new details of its position, the PM said the UK would "take back control of our laws".

But critics say it will be impossible to avoid European judges having a role in enforcing new agreements drawn up with the EU.

Ministers say the two sides will keep "half an eye" on each other's rulings.
    The ECJ is in charge of ensuring member states abide by EU law.

Its rulings are binding on all member states, and it also settles disputes between countries and EU institutions.

In its new policy paper, the government:
    ◾Does not rule out ECJ keeping its jurisdiction during the Brexit transition period that is planned after March 2019
    ◾Promises to work with the EU on the "arrangements for judicial supervision" during this period
    ◾Makes clear that the rights of EU citizens living in the UK after Brexit will only be subject to British law - a sticking point in the negotiations with the EU
    ◾Says giving the ECJ authority over UK-EU disputes would be unprecedented and not "fair and neutral".

The promise to end "direct jurisdiction" in recent policy papers - a phrase not used by Mrs May - has raised questions about what "indirect" jurisdiction the EU court could be left with.

In the latest publication, about how to enforce disputes after Brexit, the government has outlined several models used by other countries that it says show there is no need for the ECJ to be the final arbiter.

But some of these involve the ECJ having an influence on the outcome of disputes, for example by interpreting EU law in a way that binds a disputes panel, or for its past rulings to be taken into account.

And this is breaking news on BBC website right now :

2)EU citizen detention letters sent in error.

The Home Office sent about 100 letters "in error" to EU citizens living in the UK, telling them they were liable for "detention".

The mistake emerged after a Finnish academic, who has the right to live in the UK, received one of the letters.

Dr Eva Johanna Holmberg, who is married to a British citizen, was told she had a month to leave.

A Home Office spokesperson said "the rights of EU nationals living in the UK remain unchanged".

Everyone who received a letter would be contacted to "clarify that they can disregard it", they said.

"A limited number of letters were issued in error and we have been urgently looking into why this happened," the spokesperson added.

Dr Holmberg, who works at London's Queen Mary University, had originally applied for a "qualified person certificate" before receiving the letter.

She said the "absurd nonsense" had made her "even less likely" to trust politicians in the wake of Brexit.

James McGrory, executive director of the pro-EU group Open Britain, said: "This is shameful stuff from the same department that gave us the disgraceful 'go home' vans a few years ago.

"It's little wonder that many EU citizens feel worried about their future status in the UK when they hear of people with every right to be here getting letters threatening their deportation."
    I've seen this on the lunchtime news (not the letters bit).
    Is it possible (either at a concious or subliminal level that May actually does not want to exit the EU (she was an outer before the vote after all) and simply is going for such a mushy compromise that we will be in the EU in all but name?
    This is bloody annoying,but not unexpected :

Brexit: First phase of talks may not be completed until Christmas, says EU Parliament President .

The first phase of Brexit negotiations may not be completed until Christmas, the President of the European Parliament has said.

Antonio Tajani said he would advise senior MEPs to postpone the decision on whether “sufficient progress” had been made in the talks until December amid concerns over lack of movement on key issues such as citizen’s rights and the so-called divorce bill.

Britain is pushing to move to the second phase of discussions, which will cover trade, but former European Council President Herman van Rompuy added his concern, saying the chances of Brexit talks moving on next month are "in the neighbourhood of zero".
    The European Council had been expected to announce its verdict on the negotiations at a summit in October.

Leaked position papers due to be published by the EU on Thursday outlined the Commission's approach to a raft of key issues, including one that laid the responsibility of deciding the arrangements for the Irish border with Britain

In an interview with Politico, Mr Tajani said: “We have three irrevocable priorities which are: rights for three-and-a-half million EU citizens living in the U.K.; the payment of what the EU deserves — not a euro more nor a euro less; third point, the Good Friday Agreement, that has to give us a positive solution for the border between Ulster and the Republic of Ireland.

“Once we have reached an agreement on these three points, we can talk about the future.

“Without an agreement on this, we cannot talk about the future.

“So far we have noted that no concrete proposals have arrived, only very foggy proposals.”

Mr Tajani said Britain was trying to “buy time” ahead of the Conservative party conference in October but warned that the negotiations could not be delayed for too long.

He said: “I will ask the Council tomorrow [to extend the deadline] but it’s not our fault, but due to delays.

“And the Brits are the ones who will be mostly affected by it. It is not a tragedy, but we cannot postpone further than December.”

Mr van Rompuy said that the UK needed to provide more "clarity" about its intentions and warned that without a "breakthrough" on the divorce bill, trade talks could be pushed back after December.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I'm not a negotiator, (but from) what I hear and what I read in the press, the chances that we are ready in October are in the neighbourhood of zero."

Asked if progress could be delayed beyond December, he replied: "Let's hope that we have a breakthrough. The latest declarations are not reassuring, but let's hope... If there is no breakthrough, for instance on the financial settlement..."

It comes as MPs prepare for a two-day debate on the EU Withdrawal Bill, which will transfer EU law into British law when after Brexit.

Ministers have urged MPs to back the key legislation - formerly known as the repeal bill - but Jeremy Corbyn has ordered his party to oppose the bill.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I hear Juncker says Britain will regret leaving real soon. Sounds like an abusive husband threatening his wife for leaving him.
    I hear Juncker says Britain will regret leaving real soon. Sounds like an abusive husband threatening his wife for leaving him.

He has been saying that for ages...seems to have a real problem with it.
    He's probably worried that the EU will collapse in on itself once Britain goes.

barryt007 wrote: »

He has been saying that for ages...seems to have a real problem with it.
    He's probably worried that the EU will collapse in on itself once Britain goes.

Wishful thinking on your part and the general Brexiteers. Europe will continue without team GB, if they will want to trade in Europe they will have to come up with the EU wishes if not good luck to you and your economic windfall.
    They are gearing up for more centralization of power.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I for one, am glad to be leaving. More and more power being put in the hands of
    Fewer people......... Mostly unelected people.
    It makes Gustav happy. It reminds him of Star Trek:
    patternsofforce0447.jpg
    :-D same uniforms from the last attempt at a United Europe.
    :-D same uniforms from the last attempt at a United Europe.

I find the Nazi jokes detestable but then again the UK enjoys a monarch in a Nazi get up so that is telling enough. Not forgetting that their Royal family is German too in origin.

Whatever Juncker says is what he would like to see as highest European civil servant but not what will happen because the European Nation have a veto in any decision. Just like a veto will be forthcoming if the UK trading with Europa does not fit any of the nations interest. The European parliament [democratically chosen] will be losing one Nigel Farage which is always a democratic gain in anybodies Parliament, UK or EU. ;)
    Bringing up the ancestry of our royal family, after they have lived here so long, smacks of not
    Being very welcoming to foreigners ;-) how long will immigrants have to live in the EU before
    They are accepted ? Now that I do find detestable.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2017 Posts: 9,117

I have to say I have been starting to wish we could just return to the previous status quo such is the ineptitude of our politicians and given the whole thing is such a monumental clusterfrig (yes I know that sounds ridiculous - dont blame me, blame the mods as I'm one F word from a ban so am not allowed to talk like an adult in case a 5 year old is reading a thread about Brexit!) but the moment this utter non entity of a man pipes up I am reminded exactly why I voted Brexit in the first place.

Bear in mind this is a bloke whose only elected office was PM of Luxembourg, an election he won with 36% of a 224,000 votes so only 80,640 people have ever voted for him.
    Lets just put that into perspective - the guy gobbing off at us has only been voted for by slightly more than 24 times the population of Hemsby.
This discussion has been closed.