CLOSED

Comments

royale65 wrote: »
    Watching the Armistice Day parade. I'm not usually one for getting all patriotic, but viewing the Remembrance Day Ceremony makes me proud to be a Brit. I hope we shall never forget.

Same here x very emotional indeed.
    patb wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46168995

Perhaps he was worried about his hair?

.@realDonaldTrump has cancelled his visit to a US war cemetery due to "bad weather" as world leaders mark #armistice100 http://po.st/SRv6yM

He's such a disgrace.
  • echo wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46168995

Perhaps he was worried about his hair?

.@realDonaldTrump has cancelled his visit to a US war cemetery due to "bad weather" as world leaders mark #armistice100 http://po.st/SRv6yM

Batman used to run the US. Now it's the Joker.

Let's not forget Lex Luthor's stint as POTUS...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm enjoying all the beautiful posts on social media for Armistice Day, Remembrance Day. So lovely, so reaffirming, so important.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'm glad my country managed to evade that onslaught. Just remember, the pityness and unforgiving attitude of the French would help a little Austrian into power.....

Attended church today for the service to remember the fallen 100 years on. Very emotional day for millions around the world.
    I'm glad my country managed to evade that onslaught. Just remember, the pityness and unforgiving attitude of the French would help a little Austrian into power.....

The did remember Kristalnacht in the Netherlands today in Amsterdam. So we did remember something worth remembering hatred against the fellowman/woman based upon presumptions as vocally expressed by the leader of the German Democracy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Just another day in the US. Nothing will change.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 12,459
    I want to share this here, though I don't want American news to be on this thread so constantly. But damn ... these fires in California are NOT the usual, not even just worst than previous, this situation is catastrophically different and beyond horrible. It is hard to comprehend the scope and power of these fires.

However, this story is uplifting and real and rather than show all the devastation that is still happening because of these fires (not under control yet), I wanted to share this with all you. Just click into it to read it all.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Good story in bad times.
    Watching the footage on the news, must have been so frightening for the people who survived. Thoughts and prayers to those people who have lost loved ones and of course their homes.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2018 Posts: 17,691
    Looks like the Mueller hammer is finally coming down. Drudge twitter has erased all its tweets, Fox isn't posting any new ones... coincidence, or are people running ahead of indictments-? Be still my heart. ;)
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/11/12/1812339/-Something-is-going-on-Fox-Wikileaks-have-both-stopped-tweeting-Drudge-deleted-everything
    Breaking news. Today there hasnt been a mass shooting in America!
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 3,564
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Breaking news. Today there hasnt been a mass shooting in America!

Give us time. Day ain't over yet...
  • I've been TRYING not to let every post I place here be about US politics...but some things are just too much to let pass unnoticed. A state senator in Georgia has just been arrested for attending a "Make Every Vote Count" protest. https://politics.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-state-senator-protesters-detailed-capitol-while-demanding-that-every-vote-count/rxoAl55NdV3l4ECYstFQ3J/?fbclid=IwAR2vdD-cuMVnL6Uhav3iC6kcW89_jki2eoOB7P2U4RsgRItHkBGhJ-661v0 PS: She's black. D'ya think maybe that has something to do with something? Here's hoping American democracy can survive these crazy times.
    Ok, this is important. Votes will be counted - deadline extended by judge.
    But I will try to refrain until bigger news comes in (which it will; indictments happening soon).
  • I'd been expecting/dreading this: https://www.salon.com/2018/11/13/utility-company-likely-caused-the-camp-fire-yet-consumers-will-be-billed-for-their-negligence/ It looks like Pacific Gas & Electric -- Northern California's main power company -- may be at fault for the Camp fire. How the legalities of this break down is anybody's guess, but if you want my opinion, PG&E has a lot to answer for and they'd better come up with some damned good answers.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Just another day in the US. Nothing will change.

So they finally have a 'good guy with a gun' (and SECURITY on his shirt) and he still gets shot. Normally I wouldn't want to mention the fact that he wasn't snow-white, but perhaps it was part of the reason? Or do the police really don't care. Had to laugh because the Sherriff's office said he had a license for a gun, but wasn't allowed to concealed carry. As if he was concealing the fact that he had his gun in his hand pointing at the 'bad guy with the gun'.
    This makes me smile, so here you go (minor Bond reference):
  • Only now do I believe that Blofeld could indeed be Bond's half-brother. Thanks, Roger....
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    But, that's Connery's tux, not a villain's outfit.
    You know Stone turns everything to evil when he touches it, though. ;)
  • If we're going with Bond Villains in the news, what's this I hear about a Whittaker at the DoJ? Brad W's evil cousin, perhaps?
    Well, unfortunately for the integrity of the votes, our hope to have all votes counted ... the extension of deadline was overruled. And Palm Beach County could not meet the 3pm Thursday deadline. They are done.

Broward did make the deadline but it is so close they will now be doing a hand recount. Suffice to say, the GOP has done everything possible to thwart Florida voters being accurately counted. The next 3 days will certainly be ... interesting (for more than just Florida votes; but that, too).

Voters whose signatures did not match (so many reasons why) have until Saturday 5 pm to make sure their vote is counted. But it is unclear if the "final results" will be announced before then. (So mismatched signatures and military votes may be counted, or perhaps not - it is just not clear at the moment). GOP pushing to announce results now and not count these votes.

And military votes have until Nov. 16th, but the results may well be called before then. It is unclear.

There will be lawsuits filed, of course. We shall see how this all shakes down over the coming week or so.

• I doubt that I could get a matching signature from myself if my life depended on it. Same for anybody out there who's not a robot. Florida's history for screwing the counting of votes is legendary, and somehow, it always favors the Repubs. Gee, I wonder why?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Now here's one of the rare issues where I fail to understand the outrage against "the Right" in the USA, because they seem to insist on identification for voting. It seems safe to me that a system that does NOT check the identity of a voter at all cannot be democratic.

In Germany, and I suppose in most EU countries, you have to register with the town administration where you are living anyway once you move there. As a result, you will possibly receive nasty enquiries from the revenue service and the like, but on the bright side you are automatically registered to vote, and just as automatically receive a written notice that you can present at the voting booth to prove it. Even if you forgot it, you are on the voter list. And failing presentation of your election notice, you can prove your identity by showing your identity card that EVERYONE has to have (though not necessarily carry around in daily life), so you can vote even if you left the notice at home.

So I fail to see what's so outrageous about having to produce proof of identity in order to vote. Just make (i.e. force) people have identity papers of some kind. That should stop all allegations of people voting illegally.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 3,564
    If "the rules" are selectively enforced then they're not really rules, they're just excuses for not allowing people to exercise their rights. I'm a 60+ year old white man and I haven't been asked to show my ID in order to vote for decades. In some states, voting machines are selectively allocated -- areas that are primarily inhabited by whites get plenty of them, areas that are primarily inhabited by blacks get so few that people have to stand in line for several hours in order to vote. The methods of voter suppression are many, ingenious -- and largely used by "the Right" to prevent minorities from voting. "The Left" is urging, "count every vote" while "the Right" is urging, "Stop the vote counting while my guy is still ahead."
    It is not so simple as signatures sounds. Of course it sounds like a correct thing to have. I am now of time, must rush to work. Hopefully someone else can explain why this is actual voter suppression in many cases.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Now here's one of the rare issues where I fail to understand the outrage against "the Right" in the USA, because they seem to insist on identification for voting. It seems safe to me that a system that does NOT check the identity of a voter at all cannot be democratic.

In Germany, and I suppose in most EU countries, you have to register with the town administration where you are living anyway once you move there. As a result, you will possibly receive nasty enquiries from the revenue service and the like, but on the bright side you are automatically registered to vote, and just as automatically receive a written notice that you can present at the voting booth to prove it. Even if you forgot it, you are on the voter list. And failing presentation of your election notice, you can prove your identity by showing your identity card that EVERYONE has to have (though not necessarily carry around in daily life), so you can vote even if you left the notice at home.

So I fail to see what's so outrageous about having to produce proof of identity in order to vote. Just make (i.e. force) people have identity papers of some kind. That should stop all allegations of people voting illegally.

It is not about the fact that there is an identification system. It is about how it works and the fact that it "coincidently" seems to hurt parts of the demographic that are likely to vote democratic. That really should be easy to understand...
This discussion has been closed.