CLOSED

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have not researched the countries who have blasphemy laws. I cannot really contribute here, except to say it happens time and again, is not new, and I am thoroughly sickened by it.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I have not researched the countries who have blasphemy laws. I cannot really contribute here, except to say it happens time and again, is not new, and I am thoroughly sickened by it.
    Oh there are plenty, but only those around the middle east go as far as Pakistan does now. @DarthDimi these protests are all a political game (of again an extremist group). Poverty is usually the ground for extremism, it is in Pakistan now as it was in the low countries in the 16th century. I feel for this increadably brave woman, but until we manage to get Pakistan out of poverty this will keep on happening. And with global warming Pakistan isn't really well situated to get out of poverty.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Global warming will increase wars, and kill off the poor. Just how my country's NeoRepublican party (and the old white men who own corporations whom that party serves, and are close to their ends) want it.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 12,271
    It’s a shame there are blasphemy laws of any kind anywhere. It should be common sense, but religion should never, EVER play any sort of role in the law. No one should have to go to prison for that; it’s horrible that it has happened and does still happen to so many people.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 19,339
    DELETED
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 1,640
    Golden Harvest ceo Raymond Chow died :

IMO , he deliberately let Bruce Lee die cuz Lee was going to Hwood for good , Chow felt threatened by Hwood/Ponti/Shaw Bros cuz he knew he could never pay what they were offering Lee (Lee wanted at least 2 mill US post-Enter) thus it was decided to have Lee killed (Golden Harvest rumored to be triad financed)

In 1973-80 Golden Harvests future did not look so bright - no big star available , if not for Jackie Chan they mightve gone belly up

July 20 , fishy :

-why was everyone missing from Lees house that day , usually crawling with people ?
    -Chow drove to Lees house around early afternoon to discuss Game , this was something Chow *never* did but on that day suddenly hes in a hurry ??
    -did he stall time , waiting and waiting before calling ambulance so that Lee would be DoA at hospital ?
    -convenient that Chow could use Lazenby as albi , "no Chow was with me all the time at the restaurant" (Laz prolly never said so but he couldve if asked)
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 3,564
    Today's the Day....of the Blue Wave. First one down: Darrell Issa (R) from CA, who is retiring after this term, has already conceded that his seat is going to the Democratic candidate rather than the Republican who had hoped to replace him. https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/415161-darrell-issa-concedes-dem-will-flip-his-seat-before-polls-close Here's hoping for lots more!
  • And hey! Everybody who's eligible -- get out there & vote! It ain't a party without YOU!
    Well... I was hoping sensible United States would make a greater statement than this... But I guess one should be satisfied with the result regardless.
    These are substantial gains and matter a great deal. The Senate was going to stay GOP. Democrats did very well indeed. This will help greatly. I'm very happy overall.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Florida going on 20+ years without a Democrat governor.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Mild reaction from the democrats, 4 more years of Trump are not improbable especially if US economy keeps these positive trends.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Mild - no, not really. More would have been great, bur there are very good gains, and more than expected in the House. These changes will have real impact.

Anyway, we shall see what develops. But I am not as worried any more about Trump staying or having power to get new laws enacted, push through his policies. 2020? No, I do not believe he will be re-elected in 2020 (even if he makes it to that year in office). This election has restored more checks and balances in our govt and that is a very good thing. This will keep rolling.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The balance is good enough. I've never been an advocate of having one party in control of everything.
    Exactly. We need (and our founders tried to ensure) checks and balances.

Look, the GOP will spin the midterms their way, and the Democrats will spin it their own way. We shall just have to see what actions are taken and the results. But at least we have a way forward now that is more honest, more representative of our citizens.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-telling-measure-of-trumps-weakness/2018/11/07/f6f3c77a-e251-11e8-8f5f-a55347f48762_story.html?utm_term=.92724d402fa6
    Concludes with this:
    Elections, like Scripture, can be interpreted in many ways. Their outcomes are relatively easy to spin, especially given Tuesday’s split House/Senate decision. But there can be no spinning the huge swing of ballots to the Democrats in the House contests, the end of unified Republican government, or the fact that Donald Trump’s influence is now confined to Republican bastions.
    Not what I hoped for but good enough. Trump & his bandit boys will be facing some scrutiny now. How many ways can you spell felony? Impeach & annul. Get started.
    https://www.needtoimpeach.com/impeachable-offenses/
    edited November 2018 Posts: 4,422
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Not what I hoped for but good enough. Trump & his bandit boys will be facing some scrutiny now. How many ways can you spell felony? Impeach & annul. Get started.

Personally, I don't see it happening. Do i see him being re-elected, no.

And if he is impeached, then Pence becomes president

Pence is complicit with the whole Russian thing, so no, he'll be out as well.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 4,422

So Pelosi then?

However, I feel that the House will need to do more than exhausting every effort to get him impeached. Im not much of Trump supporter. Personally, ive never been a fan of him in any area, but they have more to do than just focus on these allegations.

If they do choose to go that route, it wont be fast. With all the subpoenas, evidence, court battles etc, it'll go on and on, well past 2020 IMO
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 565
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It would seem that in certain parts of the United States, I could actually be thrown in jail for denying that God exists. Whoa. And yet Belgium is called a "failed state"... I'm so glad the men in blue won't come for me when I'm informing my students that the universe didn't pop out of God's magic microwave oven some 6000 years ago. I suppose I won't ever be teaching science in America though.

Or Pakistan, for that matter.
    Let's not get out of hand here...despite the United States having it's share of religious crazies, that hasn't and wouldn't happen. That said, it sad to know that such ridiculous persecution is still going on in this world.

You're a funny guy.

edited November 2018 Posts: 17,691
    JamesStock wrote: »
    You're a funny guy.
    Thank you, thank you; I'll be here all week. ;)

JamesStock wrote: »
    You're a funny guy.
    Thank you, thank you; I'll be here all week. ;)

Try the veal
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 616

If he's impeached and convicted (or he resigns), then Pence becomes president.

I mention this only because it seems like a significant portion of the American public -- at least, on social media -- don't understand the meaning of the word "impeach" and assume it's synonymous with "remove." These are usually the same clowns who think that Nixon was impeached.

Rant over.
    Escalus5 wrote: »

If he's impeached and convicted (or he resigns), then Pence becomes president.

I mention this only because it seems like a significant portion of the American public -- at least, on social media -- don't understand the meaning of the word "impeach" and assume it's synonymous with "remove." These are usually the same clowns who think that Nixon was impeached.

Rant over.

Clinton was impeached and still finished the term.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Once again, millions of Americans voted against their best interest (many minorities voting for Republicans, many working class white people voting for Democrats, etc). When will people finally educate themselves?
    Once again, millions of Americans voted against their best interest (minorities voting for Republicans, working class white people voting for Democrats, etc). When will people finally educate themselves?

So are you saying it should be the other way around?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I want to congratulate @barryt007 on that very clever headline.
  • jobo wrote: »
    Well... I was hoping sensible United States would make a greater statement than this... But I guess one should be satisfied with the result regardless.

The Democratic Party is perfectly well satisfied with these results. Trump is trying to spin his response as if he is happy with them too...but his press conference this morning indicates that his mood is pretty cranky right now, so I'd suspect that he's not as satisfied as he'd like the public to believe.
This discussion has been closed.