CLOSED

Comments

This is just becoming routine in America now isn’t it ?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    barryt007 wrote: »

Yes, especially since the Marmalade Moron stepped in.
    This isn't news anymore. Right to bear arms crap means this is likely to keep happening. Shame on Trump.
    I usually get really angry about these things but I don’t feel anything this time and I shrugged when I read it, this concerns me about how used to this I am becoming.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited November 2018 Posts: 4,554
    I usually get really angry about these things but I don’t feel anything this time and I shrugged when I read it, this concerns me about how used to this I am becoming.

Describes my feelings, as well. What I want to see/hear is the NRA and the gun manufacturer (unknown at the moment) standing and applauding that the weapon did its job. We love when things we invent do what they are designed to do: rockets into space, cell phones, Keurigs, etc. We take pride. So, I want to see the NRA take pride in the fact that their machine of choice, designed to kill en masse, keeps doing what it was designed to do.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What's that, another day, another shooting here in America? Par for the course. Thoughts, prayers, yada yada yada whatever and onto the next one. Seems this idea of solving the gun issue by implementing the usage of more guns is a completely flawed one, as has been noted many times.
    I mean I’m in Britain as you all know and I feel nonchalant about this ,God knows how you lot,our cousins, are feeling about this .

As @Creasy47 said, it’s even got its own formula now :
    1.mass shooting
    2.reported
    3.comments of outrage and revenge/law change
    4.sympathy and prayers for the victims/familes
    5.gradual decline in it being newsworthy
    6.it won’t happen to me anyway
    7.mum can we have pepperoni pizza tonight ?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I mean I’m in Britain as you all know and I feel nonchalant about this ,God knows how you lot,our cousins, are feeling about this .

As @Creasy47 said, it’s even got its own formula now :
    1.mass shooting
    2.reported
    3.comments of outrage and revenge/law change
    4.sympathy and prayers for the victims/familes
    5.gradual decline in it being newsworthy
    6.it won’t happen to me anyway
    7.mum can we have pepperoni pizza tonight ?

Meanwhile, don't ask why guns haven't been abolished yet...

1) You can't stop illegal guns, so why bother?
    2) How else will you defend your house?
    3) It's our right! Our right, I tell ya!
    4) Guns don't kill people.
    5) Special care for people with mental illnesses? No way, we need our money to build big things that kill. And walls. We need to build walls. They will solve all our problems.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I remember jumping up in shock when I'd see a mass shooting, and this was only a few years ago. Now? Doesn't phase me most of the time, I'm afraid, it's so commonplace.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    It is very sad. My country is bitterly divided on gun control and so much else.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    a sad sign of the times
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I remember jumping up in shock when I'd see a mass shooting, and this was only a few years ago. Now? Doesn't phase me most of the time, I'm afraid, it's so commonplace.

It's like a sickness that you get all the time & just live with because no one can or will treat it...
  • Okay, so now that we've all taken a day or so off to grieve for the most recent victims of gun violence.... two new wildfires have broken out here in California, one not far from Thousand Oaks and the other literally burning down Paradise... and the Trump assault on democracy has entered a new phase, with a (probably illegal) attorney general who has previously declared his staunch opposition to the Mueller probe. https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/constitutional-crisis-already-here-how-midterm-elections-unleashed-dangerous-new And BTW, voting while black in Florida and Georgia remains a dicey proposition. https://www.alternet.org/election-03918/georgia-and-florida-midterm-election-counts-continue Welcome to another day in what now passes for the USA.
  • Oh, and did I forget to mention: the free press is now a bigger enemy to all of America than was the case even a few short days ago! It's a lovely day in the neighborhood. Won't you be my neighbor?
    Remember remember...
    It's very easy here in the UK to soak up all of the anti Trump coverage (he's a moron IMHO) and not realise how well supported he is. Reading the comments to some of his Youtube clips is a real eye opener to how much admiration and support he has. It's scary really and does tend to confirm that the USA is becoming a divided nation.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    patb wrote: »
    It's very easy here in the UK to soak up all of the anti Trump coverage (he's a moron IMHO) and not realise how well supported he is. Reading the comments to some of his Youtube clips is a real eye opener to how much admiration and support he has. It's scary really and does tend to confirm that the USA is becoming a divided nation.

Isn't that exactly what nations do in darker times?
    - Blame someone, doesn't matter who.
    - Truly believe that shaking off some political burden or another will solve everything, and sleep better at night.
    - Nod cowardly in agreement with the loudest, meanest bully; become a part of his fan base, feel spoken to, feel understood, feel befriended and don't worry about the promises made being superficial at best.
    - Do it, vote for the new ideals, for the absolute truths, for the impossible, short-term promises of better times, for the mass hysteria; and whatever you do, don't be critical, don't ask, "but how, why, then what?".
    - Most importantly, purge. Push people out, push them away, blow up deals and treaties, cowar away from major challenges we must all face, feel safe within your political, geographical or material walls.

And thus, Trump gets elected and Brexit is a fact.

Are Trump voters wrong? Were "leave" voters wrong? No. Because they were lied to; not their fault. But we all have the capacity to learn from past mistakes...
  • We can/should also develop a capacity to recognize when we're being lied to...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    We can/should also develop a capacity to recognize when we're being lied to...

That would require some decent education, but don't worry, the majority of Americans aren't capable of paying for that.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2018 Posts: 12,459
    I'm sorry there is so much happening every single week with the current president of the United States, because some of it is newsworthy but it gets to be too much Trump on this thread. Hard to choose. It is a World Events/News thread, so I hope for more from other countries.

I will keep posting regarding Trump but I'm trying to wait for even more important news. Which will not be a very long wait, I think. Trump's attitude and behavior during this weekend of remembrance is in the news, but I'm not going to go into that in detail here today. Sure he has supporters - the U.S. is a huge, diverse country. But his supporters are still in the minority and I believe their numbers are shrinking as facts come out re his history and current actions, and all on his administration (much of which is corrupt), and about the GOP. His core base doesn't care and will stick with him after he is no longer president. Racism will be an ongoing challenge in America. Gun control is such a important issue and must be dealt with far better than what has happened so far. The NRA being tainted is helping with that.

Long preamble to say that I will try to spare you all a lot of the b.s., known as Trump in the news, unless it is a stronger development (such as action taken, not just his horrible behavior).

Meanwhile, my heart aches for California and all people and animals affected by these unprecedented fires (far worse than their usual wildfires) - like a scene from hell or an apocalypse; it is horrifying.

So I'll just put this character here and bid you adieu for now ...

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    chrisisall wrote: »

But then again Sandy Hook, Aurora Colorado and Pulse Orlando all happend under Obama. Columbine under Clinton.

It doesnt matter who is President, evil will do evil and do what what they want. I dont like Trump at all, but he's not the reason why.

But then again Sandy Hook, Aurora Colorado and Pulse Orlando all happend under Obama. Columbine under Clinton.

It doesnt matter who is President, evil will do evil and do what what they want. I dont like Trump at all, but he's not the reason why.

He's clearly an exacerbatior.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

Still not the point. Do you think that every recent mass shooter cares about who is in the White House? I think its an easy target since its a Republican with backing towards the NRA. So instead of blaming the person responsible, we turn towards policy in which the person committing these acts don't give a crap.
    Regardless, I need to leave this thread. I come here to discuss Bond and not get into political argurements.

Still not the point. Do you think that every recent mass shooter cares about who is in the White House? I think its an easy target since its a Republican with backing towards the NRA. So instead of blaming the person responsible, we turn towards policy in which the person committing these acts don't give a crap.

There is a point, surely. If you have the symbolic leader of your nation is poenly promoting an aggressive culture, contempt for certain people, and in some cases even praise violence, of course it is more likely to exacerbate hate and violence? That's exactly the reason why the behavior and ethical values promoted by a presidential candidate is usually carefully examinated.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46168995

Perhaps he was worried about his hair?

.@realDonaldTrump has cancelled his visit to a US war cemetery due to "bad weather" as world leaders mark #armistice100 http://po.st/SRv6yM
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 4,422
    Watching the Armistice Day parade. I'm not usually one for getting all patriotic, but viewing the Remembrance Day Ceremony makes me proud to be a Brit. I hope we shall never forget.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    patb wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46168995

Perhaps he was worried about his hair?

.@realDonaldTrump has cancelled his visit to a US war cemetery due to "bad weather" as world leaders mark #armistice100 http://po.st/SRv6yM

Batman used to run the US. Now it's the Joker.
This discussion has been closed.