The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    bf8b7c4d-0d70-4c2a-907a-c747591c11de.jpg
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    71lGLnamYrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    Started on a little Guillermo del Toro selection for my 4K collection: The Shape of Water, Pan’s Labyrinth, and the two Hellboy films. After Pinocchio drops and if we get a release for The Devil’s Backbone, I’ll be set!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    81E4X+OVl9L._AC_SX342_.jpg
    Not surprisingly I ordered a back up DVD for this, my fave movie:

75b5ac4c-3df1-4df0-b9d5-a798d7eff1b6.jpg

Watching it now, and the aspect ratio is slightly more opened up than the Blu-ray. That means more of Lana! :D
    There's a few scratches in the trnasfer used early on, which I kind of like and gives it a filmic feel.
    Overall I think this dvd from 2004 is brighter and crisper than the Blu-ray.

I can't get enough of this noir and the completest in me is contemplating seeking out the old colorized VHS from 1990.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Why is this your favorite movie @ToTheRight ?

postman-always-rings-twice-give-me-that.gif

...oh, yeah. :D

Of course, the lovely Audrey Totter could flip burgers with the best of them!
    ETOxt6eX0AkYX1Q.jpg
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Why is this your favorite movie @ToTheRight ?

postman-always-rings-twice-give-me-that.gif

...oh, yeah. :D

Of course, the lovely Audrey Totter could flip burgers with the best of them!
    ETOxt6eX0AkYX1Q.jpg

Haha! So true, @Dwayne. Big Audrey Totter fan, too. Love her in LADY IN THE LAKE and especially TENSION.

I've probably watched POSTMAN 10 times just this year. One of the reasons being..............

z860qyxrydl81.jpg

:D :D :D
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2023 Posts: 23,465
    Dressed-To-Kill-arrow-blu.jpg
    Another addition to my ARROW collection, looking forward to looking through the extensive Special Features, ARROW never disappoints.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,465
    2CT345ADeQQCWg7PvcOOng.jpg
    I found this for £1 in a charity shop.
    PSA for anyone who loves classic films: the Barnes & Noble 50% off Criterion Sale started today! My haul was Wall-E, Blow Out, Thelma & Louise, and The Others, all in 4K. With that, I should be all caught up on the available 4Ks Criterion has that I wanted. I’m refraining from buying Blu-Rays or DVDs these days - just being patient for future 4K releases while building that library.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2023 Posts: 4,452
    October:

DVD:
    Bee Season (2005) € 1,00
    Some Kind of Beautiful (2014) With Pierce Brosnan € 1,50 (New)
    Good Bye Lenin! (2003) - 2 Disc CE digipack with booklet in Dutch. € 1,95

Haar Naam Was Sarah ''Elle s'appelait Sarah'' (2010) 2 Disc SE with sleeve.
    Notting Hill (1999)

BD:
    Midnight in Paris (2011) € 1,00
    The Nest (2020) € 4,00 / 2 for € 7,99 (New)
    The Green Knight (2021) € 3,99 / 2 for € 7,99 (New)

Movie releated other things:

james-bond-kalender-2024.jpg
    James Bond 2024: 16 Month Calendar € 13,99. Plastic free, but in case like this i prefer with. It easily can have damaged. It is very much Goldfinger releated, the choose for November was earlier used as front for 2019 but then in black and white. But i like made chooses better then 2023 who i don't bought for that reason. The QOS maintitle moon looks amazing.

Funko 1214 DR. Ellie Sattler from Jurassic World Dominion € 3,99
    Funko 146 Play-Doh Pete € 5,99
    Funko 1215 Maisie from Jurassic World Dominion € 3,99

November:

BD:
    The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023) € 6,67 / 3 for 20,00 (New)
    The Northman (2022) € 6,67 / 3 for 20,00 (New)
    The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022) € 6,66 / 3 for 20,00 (New)

Little (2019) € 0,50 (New)
    All My Life (2020) € 0,50 (New)
    Loving (2016) € 0,50 (New)

Dvd
    Scrooge (1935)
    December Boys (2007) € 1,00

Funko 1330 Forge from Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves € 3,99
    Funko 1326 Holga from Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves € 3,99
    Funko 1208 Owen Grady from Jurassic World Dominion € 3,99
    Funko 1189 Batman from The Batman € 3,99
    2431665d56eb6e1780c8067a230cc293-Psycho.jpg
    Psycho 60th Anniversary in 4K
    I got Duel and Scarface on 4K. Must-haves for me!
    Double dipping on my LANA TURNER movies.........

5124T+I8LNL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Looking forward to the upgrade from DVD. I can only imagine how clear the picture will look.

MV5BYjM1ODFhZDItN2RjNC00Yzg0LWFiMGYtN2JhZGFmY2Q5MWYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjA2ODA0Nzc@._V1_.jpg

MV5BZDU5Yjc2OWYtZjc1ZC00Mzk4LThhYmItMDE4MWFjNzQyM2JmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjA2ODA0Nzc@._V1_.jpg

The-Three-Musketeers-Lana-Turner-4.jpg
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    A nice pick @ToTheRight. :D

Even though I have a youtube copy of TOO LATE FOR TEARS, I finally decide to buy the DVD.
    TOO+LATE+For+Tears.jpg?format=500w
    .... plus Lizabeth Scott :x
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Looking forward to the upgrade from DVD. I can only imagine how clear the picture will look.

MV5BYjM1ODFhZDItN2RjNC00Yzg0LWFiMGYtN2JhZGFmY2Q5MWYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjA2ODA0Nzc@._V1_.jpg

MV5BZDU5Yjc2OWYtZjc1ZC00Mzk4LThhYmItMDE4MWFjNzQyM2JmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjA2ODA0Nzc@._V1_.jpg

I don't think I have ever watched that version of the Dumas classic, if i have it was a very long time ago. i would not mind watching this, great cast.

I don't think I have ever watched that version of the Dumas classic, if i have it was a very long time ago. i would not mind watching this, great cast.

The cast is superb and the film is a lot of fun.

The cast is superb and the film is a lot of fun.

Lana Turner as Lady de Winter and Vincent Price as Richelieu perfect casting, will try to get hold of the film
    Lana Turner as Lady de Winter and Vincent Price as Richelieu perfect casting, will try to get hold of the film

Yes, that version is one of my all-time favourites, along with Michael York's and Gérard Barray's and Mylène Demongeot's.

Found this in a small videostore, figured / "I already have the Blacula collection, so why not this one ?", and bought it :

9d5ef0e6-d36a-4967-8bea-6a4281a3896e.jpg
    Gerard wrote: »

Yes, that version is one of my all-time favourites, along with Michael York's and Gérard Barray's and Mylène Demongeot's.

Found this in a small videostore, figured / "I already have the Blacula collection, so why not this one ?", and bought it :

The Richard Lester Musketeer films are some of my all time favorites.
    I need to get Lester films. I love Christopher lee and Oliver Reed in those. Also it's been decades since I've seen them.

I concur!
    Though I am intrigued by the latest French version with Eva Green as Milady!
    If I recall Director Peter Hyams ( Capricorn One, Outland) did a not so good version too many years ago?
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I concur!
    Though I am intrigued by the latest French version with Eva Green as Milady!
    If I recall Director Peter Hyams ( Capricorn One, Outland) did a not so good version too many years ago?

The Eva Green films look great, still not watched them yet i will likely buy them both at some point.

I have never seen the Peter Hyams The Musketeer, I completely forgot about it, the reviews are not very good.
    I need to get Lester films. I love Christopher lee and Oliver Reed in those. Also it's been decades since I've seen them.

I recently bought the first two films in the series 4K restorations highly recommended.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,465
    71BRafoPLLL._AC_SL1322_.jpg
    71UFSL75GAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71fzViHvEgL._AC_SL1334_.jpg
    i already own this boxset though this is a much nicer set than the other one i own with some fantastic art cards, and great images on the case itself
    Sony Deleting Purchased Warner Bros. Discovery Shows from PlayStation Libraries
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/sony-deleting-purchased-warner-bros-discovery-shows-from-playstation-libraries/ar-AA1l2vhG
    A good reason to keep buying physical copies.
    Classic. Indeed it is, and I’ll keep it going so I know I’m secure. Guillermo del Toro recently spoke about it and said something cool, something like physical media owners are “custodians” of movies / movie history, and it’s a responsibility.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,465
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Classic. Indeed it is, and I’ll keep it going so I know I’m secure. Guillermo del Toro recently spoke about it and said something cool, something like physical media owners are “custodians” of movies / movie history, and it’s a responsibility.

Christopher Nolan recently was also encouraging people to buy a physical copy as apposed to a digital streamed version of Oppenheimer.

The more time has passed the prouder of my physical media collection I am, I also bought over 100 CD's in the last 6 months and gone retro with a 90's CD player and passive speaker's. Despite owning 10 smart speakers I rarely listen to music on them now.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,024
    One of my favorites from the master.
    71IgRqK6sEL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    One of my favorites from the master.
    71IgRqK6sEL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Hitchcock finished his career strongly IMO with Frenzy and Family Plot, Barry Foster is very convincing in Frenzy.

I have most of Hitch's films on DVD and Bluray I have only got a few in 4K, I recently bought Psycho on that format.
    I've never had a physical copy of Assignment K (1968), and had planned on getting an older DVD release of this mostly forgotten spy film starring Stephen Boyd and Camilla Sparv for Christmas. I quite like this film, and like OHMSS, I try to watch it during the Christmas holidays.

imprint-assignment-k.jpg?resize=1080%2C608&ssl=1

Anyway, I was happy to discover before buying a DVD copy that Imprint Films have just released a worldwide first release of Assignment K on Blu-ray. With only 1500 copies available, I jumped at the chance to get my own copy, which I got in the mail just a few days ago. I'm yet to see actual screenshots of the restored film anywhere online, but I'm sure this will be a good high-definition presentation.

Earlier this year, I also found and bought a movie tie-in paperback of the book the film is based upon, Department K by Hartley Howard, which I'll be reading during Christmas.