The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

@Mathis1

Awesome, good to have company! I tell you what, purging my shelf of so much stuff feels amazing. Even all these good movies, just knowing I won’t be watching them again, it’s just for the best to save space and just focus on what I love most. As I’ve grown older I’ve just wanted to own less and focus on favorites. Good for you making the jump to 4K, I’m very excited to! And Blade Runner is a fantastic choice - it’s on my list for sure as it’s probably my #1 sci-f film. Great taste with that, The Thing, and Apocalypse Now ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,394
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I have rethought my entire movie collection recently and decided I just have way too many movies - including ones that I still like very much - lying around that will never get watched again. It's just not worth having them to have them - I want to have less, but still what I want the most. Going to sell a ton of DVDs in the near future and hopefully make a decent return on them. The new plan is quality over quantity: I'm starting a 4K / Blu-Ray collection, and only buying my favorites that I absolutely know I'll be watching again and justify the cost to me. Here is my personal starter pack, thanks to the Amazon Prime Day Deals:

71pXqXycQjL._SL1500_.jpg

71QTte23xCL._SL1500_.jpg

811pZvPNKKL._SL1500_.jpg

71v9tpkSnOL._SL1500_.jpg

911Vq15gIXL._SL1500_.jpg

A1hcDeuzTkL._SL1500_.jpg

91FeiP7gFvL._SL1500_.jpg

71MdV0PXRtL._SL1500_.jpg

71zb+BWIL+L._SL1500_.jpg

71toG3to9FS._SL1500_.jpg

I'm also kind of hoping 4K is the final physical format for movies, as one of the main reasons I've held on to and mostly only bought DVDs before is that there are always new upgrades. I also upgraded my Samurai Jack (one of my all-time favorite shows) to Blu-Ray:

91ynW2YwxIL._SL1500_.jpg

Time to start saving again!!!

Great selection I have quite a few of those films on 4K myself, Apocalypse Now is pretty special. If you don't have 2001: A Space Odyssey in 4K I highly recommend. for me it is the best looking film on the format, 2001 is an amazing visual experience.

I am in the process of stream lining my DVD's I am looking at solutions. I posted this in another thread yesterday....

71qBjspI1IL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

... I really don't want to get rid of my DVD's as many of them won't be seen on Bluray or 4K and some are very difficult to get hold of. Here I would not make much money selling DVD's so the plastic sleeve ring binder option right now seems a good way of reducing clutter.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Thank you very much! Apocalypse Now’s edition did look extremely ultimate - $17 was an absolute steal thanks to the Amazon sale. And rest assured, 2001, along with most other Kubrick films (probably not Fear and Desire and Killer’s Kiss, but all the rest), I will be looking to purchase. Can’t wait for Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut to join the format party someday! I wish you luck on that DVD situation, that’s not a bad idea you have there. I’m still hanging on to plenty of my DVDs, as I’m sure several will not make the 4K jump (some still haven’t to Blu-Ray), but I’m hopeful in the next 2-3 years most of my collection will have turned hi-def.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,394
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Thank you very much! Apocalypse Now’s edition did look extremely ultimate - $17 was an absolute steal thanks to the Amazon sale. And rest assured, 2001, along with most other Kubrick films (probably not Fear and Desire and Killer’s Kiss, but all the rest), I will be looking to purchase. Can’t wait for Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut to join the format party someday! I wish you luck on that DVD situation, that’s not a bad idea you have there. I’m still hanging on to plenty of my DVDs, as I’m sure several will not make the 4K jump (some still haven’t to Blu-Ray), but I’m hopeful in the next 2-3 years most of my collection will have turned hi-def.

I have Kubrick's earlier films on DVD or digital, Paths of Glory is probably the only one I would upgrade from that era. I do have a very good DVD of Paths of Glory so in no real rush. Dr. Strangelove looks great on 4K, Kubrick's sound design was also first class in his films.

I am a big fan of Kubrick though I have never fully watched Barry Lyndon which I know is a crime lol I have never liked Ryan O'Neal as an actor so never watch anything he has appeared in.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

I have Kubrick's earlier films on DVD or digital, Paths of Glory is probably the only one I would upgrade from that era. I do have a very good DVD of Paths of Glory so in no real rush. Dr. Strangelove looks great on 4K, Kubrick's sound design was also first class in his films.

I am a big fan of Kubrick though I have never fully watched Barry Lyndon which I know is a crime lol I have never liked Ryan O'Neal as an actor so never watch anything he has appeared in.

You should really watch 'Barry Lyndon' all the way through, the ending is superb.
    As for Ryan O'Neal, he does a brilliant job in 'The Driver', and he's also great in 'Paper Moon' and the hilarious 'What's Up Doc!'
    Barry Lyndon is absolutely sublime. Hard to imagine a film more worthy of a 4K UHD release! I’m way overdue for a rewatch, but going to hold off in hopes of a 4K edition.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited July 2023 Posts: 2,932
    When I first saw Full Metal Jacket, I thought 'That guy could play Robert E. Howard, brilliantly' - and eight years later, he did! Sometimes things just align, man...
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 2,079
    DELETE
    I will see if I can find Barry Lyndon in 4K on offer, if anything on that format no doubt the visuals will be stunning.

I did watch The Driver and What's Up Doc in my youth i just never went back to them. I preferred Clint movies from that era.

The Driver is often on late night TV here in the UK. Paper Moon the one where his daughter won an Oscar if I remember correctly?
    I will see if I can find Barry Lyndon in 4K on offer, if anything on that format no doubt the visuals will be stunning.

I did watch The Driver and What's Up Doc in my youth i just never went back to them. I preferred Clint movies from that era.

The Driver is often on late night TV here in the UK. Paper Moon the one where his daughter won an Oscar if I remember correctly?

'The Driver' has recently been re-released on 4k, its one of my favourite noir style thrillers, and the car chases are amazing!
    Correct about 'Paper Moon', Tatum O' Neal, wonderful performance!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

'The Driver' has recently been re-released on 4k, its one of my favourite noir style thrillers, and the car chases are amazing!
    Correct about 'Paper Moon', Tatum O' Neal, wonderful performance!

I should give The Driver a proper watch, i rewatched Vanishing Point last week, that has some great car sequences.

Despite being a big fan of Burt Reynold car chase movies, there are quite a few other car movies I have never seen including Ronin.

---

The-Flash.jpg
    Just ordered this...............

BloodForDraculaUHD-scaled.jpg?v=1653104919

I have the old Critereon DVD, but I never liked the non-anamorphic transfer or the color timing.
    Hopefully this is superior.
    Some more 4K editions:

-Goodfellas (this was expensive because apparently it’s OOP for some reason)
    -The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
    -Total Recall
    -The Lion King
    -The Killing
    -Schindler’s List
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    My July 2023 Criterion purchases are now complete

GILDA (1946) – an essential noir and the source of *that* internet meme. Arguably, the defining role of Rita Hayworth’s career.

When Mrs. O'Leary's cow / Kicked the lantern in Chicago town / They say that started the fire That burned Chicago down / That's the story that went around / But here's the real low-down … Put the blame on Mame, boys / Put the blame on Mame
    EoeG9o1Jck1XlNhkr6IR8l9PIby9u1_large.jpg

NOW, VOYAGER (1942) – perhaps one of the most romantic films ever (even more so than CASABLANCA IMO), Betty Davis and Paul Henreid shine as lovers that eventually put their desires aside for a larger good. “Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars.”
    ZnvrX36fSxtqKKg2do5VnPKSusWgp1_large.jpg

BREATHLESS “Bout de Souffle” (1960) - the groundbreaking Jean-Luc Godard film that introduced French New Wave to some of us. “New York Herald Tribune ........”
    LsVjs5RCEvtZRI65Qd3c2XJk1mhCxa_original.jpg

Do I have any regrets about going over budget?
    giphy.gif

@Dwayne are you a big Criterion collector? Do you have / have seen Raging Bull on 4K? Was looking into this one.
    @Dwayne are you a big Criterion collector? Do you have / have seen Raging Bull on 4K? Was looking into this one.

While I don’t collect Criterion releases (per say), I do attempt to take advantage of the bi-annual sales offered by Barnes and Noble if my budget allows.

During the past five years or so I’ve been on a film noir/classic film kick and Criterion, along with Kino Lorber and the Warner Archive Collection tend to have a large number of available titles in this area. For example, I already have two Kino Lorber releases on pre-order for August (HUMAN DESIRE and FORCE OF EVIL).

As to whether I should buy Criterion or a standard release; it usually comes down to the extras. Most older films don’t really have a ton of “making of” type featurettes so the extras can be a bit sparse. That said, Criterion and Kino Lorber have done (IMO) a good job at reaching out to various film scholars for input and for putting together short retrospectives. For example, both make good use of the Noir Film Foundation.

As for RAGING BULL; I don’t even on a copy of it – yet. That said, it would make a nice double feature with THE SETUP (1949) or BODY AND SOUL (1947).
    Dwayne wrote: »
    My July 2023 Criterion purchases are now complete

GILDA (1946) – an essential noir and the source of *that* internet meme. Arguably, the defining role of Rita Hayworth’s career.

When Mrs. O'Leary's cow / Kicked the lantern in Chicago town / They say that started the fire That burned Chicago down / That's the story that went around / But here's the real low-down … Put the blame on Mame, boys / Put the blame on Mame
    EoeG9o1Jck1XlNhkr6IR8l9PIby9u1_large.jpg

NOW, VOYAGER (1942) – perhaps one of the most romantic films ever (even more so than CASABLANCA IMO), Betty Davis and Paul Henreid shine as lovers that eventually put their desires aside for a larger good. “Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars.”
    ZnvrX36fSxtqKKg2do5VnPKSusWgp1_large.jpg

BREATHLESS “Bout de Souffle” (1960) - the groundbreaking Jean-Luc Godard film that introduced French New Wave to some of us. “New York Herald Tribune ........”
    LsVjs5RCEvtZRI65Qd3c2XJk1mhCxa_original.jpg

Do I have any regrets about going over budget?
    giphy.gif

Excellent, @Dwayne!
    I still have the old DVD transfer of GILDA from years ago. Two copies, actually. is it worth the upgrade?
    @TotheRight, I'll let you know in about a week. I normally "test" my new DVDs first to make sure that they work - and that the extras are as advertised. On the GILDA blu-ray, so far so good, and the first couple of minutes of the Eddie Mueller interview seems really great.

Of course, this means that I will have to revise my Thirty Essential Noir Film list, but Hayworth is worth it.

Reporter: What held up that dress you wore in GILDA?
    Hayworth: Two things! :))
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    IMG-20230722-153906.jpg
    Noah (2014) - 2 Disc LE € 2,50
    beded5272d48bc02bc6b093086c287c2_XL.jpg
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    146x210.jpg147x210.jpg
    Taxi 2 (2000) / Taxi 3 (2003) + box for also place for first movie who i already have.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I just received today two Hitchcock movies on Blu-ray that I hadn't previously owned on disc:

Foreign Correspondent (1940) - Having watched it in the 90s, I still kept (until today) a somewhat truncated version (100 minutes instead of 120 that the BD claims) as one of my final leftover VHS tapes as a reminder to look for a decent disc...not having had a VHS player for more than fifteen years -

and

Stage Fright (1950) - I think I've seen it at some time before, but don't remember anything of it besides Marlene Dietrich being in it. This is also the reason why the German release title, irritatingly, is Die rote Lola, although there is no character named "the red Lola" in it. The distributor wanted people to watch this film based on associating Dietrich's performance with the one she delivered for The Blue Angel (Josef von Sternberg, 1930) in which she played a bar singer called Lola.

Along with those two, I bought the third "OSS 117" movie with Jean Dujardin - Alerte rouge en Afrique noire (Red Alert in Black Africa), which I didn't know existed until two or three days ago. Reviews tell me it's not as good as the original 2, but still good, and if it's half as good, it will be another laugh riot for me. The German title is "Liebesgrüße aus Afrika", which refers to the German title of FRWL: "Liebesgrüße aus Moskau" (Love Greetings from Moscow).
    As promised @ToTheRight:

The Criterion release of GILDA is from 2016, and since I don’t have the earlier Columbia Classics release from 2000, I can’t do an A/B.

The Criterion extras:
    1. 2010 Audio Commentary by Richard Schickel
    2. “The Odyssey of Rita Hayworth”, a 1964 TV program on Hollywood stars
    3. 2016 interview with Eddie “The Czar of Noir” Muller
    4. 2010 Gilda appreciation by Martin Scorsese and Baz Luhrmann
    It also comes with a nice essay and a rather fetching poster of “The Love Goddess.”
    As not to clutter this thread, I have posted the Scorsese/Luhrmann feature in the noir thread, along with Muller’s TCM intro and outro on GILDA from 2020 he which he covers many of the points he made during his earlier interview. There was also a documentary on Rita Hayworth from 2019 that I have also provided links to.

In short, if you can afford it, I would recommend the upgrade - but only if you value the extras.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    As promised @ToTheRight:

The Criterion release of GILDA is from 2016, and since I don’t have the earlier Columbia Classics release from 2000, I can’t do an A/B.

The Criterion extras:
    1. 2010 Audio Commentary by Richard Schickel
    2. “The Odyssey of Rita Hayworth”, a 1964 TV program on Hollywood stars
    3. 2016 interview with Eddie “The Czar of Noir” Muller
    4. 2010 Gilda appreciation by Martin Scorsese and Baz Luhrmann
    It also comes with a nice essay and a rather fetching poster of “The Love Goddess.”
    As not to clutter this thread, I have posted the Scorsese/Luhrmann feature in the noir thread, along with Muller’s TCM intro and outro on GILDA from 2020 he which he covers many of the points he made during his earlier interview. There was also a documentary on Rita Hayworth from 2019 that I have also provided links to.

In short, if you can afford it, I would recommend the upgrade - but only if you value the extras.

Very cool!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    15ebe36a-97c2-4862-8f83-c8fd1bf83396.jpg
    45ef0bfc-1661-4843-8bbb-7f38148e9f16.jpg
    91DgSMArcFL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
    51Ja3kzZ7HL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Hadn't seen this BOGART flick in about 30 years. Bogie's TOP GUN.
    Watched it tonight and enjoyed every frame. Underrated aviation adventure.

I also double dipped for this one.............

LADYTAKES-SM_470x.jpg?v=1654901811

My other copy was clearly a pirated recorded from television copy.
    Had to upgrade. This should look better.
    Musical DVDs, bought on the cheap :

876833918.jpg

What can I say ? I'm a fan.

923715228.jpg

For nostalgia's sake. That was a variety show I used to watch when I was a kid, one of the few show I was allowed to watch in the evening, given that there was no school the day after.
    e2649c689f4c2aa3ab1a66590cf7630a.jpg
    Marvels Avengers Bluray Boxset

I already own all the films on various formats though this boxset was going dirt cheap, plus I did not have this particular boxset.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 12,271
    Jurassic Park and The Nightmare Before Christmas (4K newly released this week) - two of the best films ever made for my money.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    LUEgfTixxhH81fg1DgLkP5JdPosAPh_large.jpg