The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    07 August 2023
    550x550.jpg
    Soundtrack Cd: Michael Nyman - Gattaca (1997) € 4,00 (€ 5,00 - 20%)
    Today on dvd:
    550x782.jpg
    The Soloist (2009) € 1,50
    550x783.jpg
    Eiffel (2021) € 1,50
    550x776.jpg
    Dog (2022) € 1,50
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2023 Posts: 23,407
    fantastic-beasts-the-crimes-of-grindelwald-2018-blu-ray.jpg

e3820a27-b3cf-458c-9f26-7458c5ffa626.7d0a1596862a09f826e1783646aa889d.png?odnWidth=1000&odnHeight=1000&odnBg=ffffff

bluray-gameofthrones-season8.jpg

Just picked these up ridiculously cheap.

7172jA8NqPL._AC_SL1091_.jpg
    Soundtrack on CD.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    328339_large.jpg
    Not sure how controversial this is, but I really don’t like Steelbooks. They don’t make. Steelbook for everything, so the collection can never be uniform, and they are so expensive and bruise easily. But I’m curious if there are others here who like / prefer Steelbook and specific reasons why?
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,020
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Not sure how controversial this is, but I really don’t like Steelbooks. They don’t make. Steelbook for everything, so the collection can never be uniform, and they are so expensive and bruise easily. But I’m curious if there are others here who like / prefer Steelbook and specific reasons why?
    I started collecting steelbooks about 7 years ago. My first steel was a Zavvi exclusive of Ratatouille and it is a beautiful one.
    The problem nowadays is that many steels arrive damaged, either due to poor packaging or lack of proper quality control (especially when it comes to WWA steels - those that are sold worldwide through Zavvi, Best Buy, Amazon, etc)
    It is an expensive and often risky hobby that can yield its fair share of disappointments when a steelbook arrives damaged or is just not as appealing as it originally appeared in advertised beauty shots.
    On the other hand… a beautiful, embossed/debossed exclusive steelbook by the likes of Manta Lab or Plain Archive is a sight to behold (usually comes housed in an equally nice Fullslip) and looks much, much nicer than just a regular plastic amaray.
    My steelbook collection is quite small, though, as I only buy these editions for movies I truly love, mainly due to the fact that 95% of this market focuses on movies I have no interest whatsoever in owning (Marvel and DC in particular).
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,020
    @FoxRox here are some of my favorite steelbooks in my collection. The Handmaiden is probably the most gorgeous steelbook I've ever seen.
    296c50f7f0968f494741b3d3e1787a17_391ac69c-87dd-4544-9cf2-d11e123e53e3_704x544.png?v=1571438608
    Inglourious-Basterds-steelbook-Manta-Lab.jpg
    Pans-Labyrinthe-steelbook-kimchidvd.jpg
    TTSS_704x576.jpg?v=1571438591
    godfather-steelbook-4k.jpg
    @R1s1ngs0n

Thank you for sharing your perspective and also those lovely pictures! I do admit some steelbooks do have incredible artwork; The Godfather films and Pan’s Labyrinth are all some favorites of mine, and a great job they did on those! I know that artwork is a big draw of them, but ultimately I’m only going to see the spine on my shelf most of the time also I figure. And there’s also the fact it’s literally unfeasible to do a Steelbook collection of favorite films once one has gotten behind with how crazy expensive they get. Too many drawbacks for me to get into them, but I did like hearing your points and am happy for those who do enjoy them!
    edited August 2023 Posts: 23,407
    I have anywhere between 30 to 40 steelbooks on bluray and even more if I count DVD steelbooks, they make good display items.

My favorite steelbooks which I have on display are Bond, The Matrix films, Mission Impossible 1 to 6 films and Christopher Reeve Superman movie set.

Just spotted more bluray steelbooks scanning my shelves, i probably have a lot more than I realize. Just looking at a very nice American Graffiti steelbook I own.

11119541_1585691465024415_3802000548956345386_o-jpg.165222
    I have anywhere between 30 to 40 steelbooks on bluray and even more if I count DVD steelbooks, they make good display items.

My favorite steelbooks which I have on display are Bond, The Matrix films, Mission Impossible 1 to 6 films and Christopher Reeve Superman movie set.

Just spotted more bluray steelbooks scanning my shelves, i probably have a lot more than I realize. Just looking at a very nice American Graffiti steelbook I own.

The American Graffiti steel looks very nice.
    The only Bond steels I own are custom steelbooks a friend made for me.
    Those released so far are imo very uninspired, despite using familiar images from the title sequences.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »

The American Graffiti steel looks very nice.
    The only Bond steels I own are custom steelbooks a friend made for me.
    Those released so far are imo very uninspired, despite using familiar images from the title sequences.

Yeah the DC ones are probably the worst steelbooks very uninspired.

I think I saw you post the custom steelbooks in another thread, they were fantastic.
    A new approach I’ve developed in collecting with 4Ks is having all my series films individually, or if in box sets each film still having their own separate case. Before I liked box sets for condensing space and a sense of completion, but with this new way I can see every film on the shelf nicely and not have to worry about lack of updating box sets with potential future installments. Each has its pros and cons!
    2619947275.jpg

Probably the best movie I've seen this year in the theater.
    The Big Lebowski steelbook
    71BPx8N978L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Memories Of Murder steelbook
    223439pyyb8sr4vv8uyuyl.jpg
    Very happy to see Criterion is bringing Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio home to us on all physical formats. Well-deserved release to escape Netflix purgatory, as it’s an awesome film.
    Just ordered this online. Should be arriving next week.

61sdzVi+rAL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 2023 Posts: 2,934
    Excellent. Saw it when it was first broadcast and it's still my favourite version. Some bits are definitely 'of its time' (Harker's hair, the stunt bat on a string), but others are still the best versions of those scenes (Mina, Van Helsing and the Brides in the forest, for eg.). Judi Bowker is the definitive Mina. And they actually filmed the Whitby scenes in Whitby! Every time I've walked up those steps to the abbey, I've thought 'Judi Bowker's walked up ere' - not even kidding! :D
    Venutius wrote: »
    Excellent. Saw it when it was first broadcast and it's still my favourite version. Some bits are definitely 'of its time' (Harker's hair, the stunt bat on a string), but others are still the best versions of those scenes (Mina, Van Helsing and the Brides in the forest, for eg.). Judi Bowker is the definitive Mina. And they actually filmed the Whitby scenes in Whitby! Every time I've walked up those steps to the abbey, I've thought 'Judi Bowker's walked up ere' - not even kidding! :D

Very cool. Yeah, the film is dated, but I liked this version. I actually prefer it to the Coppola film.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Oh, me too - by a million miles, tbh.
    mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-part-one-poster.jpg
    I hear Best Buy is going to stop selling physical media, I worry about the wider implications.
    I hear Best Buy is going to stop selling physical media, I worry about the wider implications.

Yep, I read it too. Looking more and more like 4K will indeed be the final format as I suspected. I just hope most of the movies I want make the leap in time before digital fully takes over. If not, I’ll have to just supplement the rest with Blu-Ray and DVD.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 23,407

Yep, I read it too. Looking more and more like 4K will indeed be the final format as I suspected. I just hope most of the movies I want make the leap in time before digital fully takes over. If not, I’ll have to just supplement the rest with Blu-Ray and DVD.

I am glad I have kept hold of most of my DVDs and managed to downsize most of them in binders. Many of the films will be very difficult to get hold of in the near future.

I will buy 4K disks and boxsets as long as I am able to, physical media is not just about the movies/music i see them as display items also.

Also when the broadband goes down a lot of digital streamed media is useless unless you have downloaded it to your computer.

That reminds me I need to buy another external hard drive that I will exclusively use for movie storage.

I am glad I have kept hold of most of my DVD's and managed to downsize most of them in binders. Many of the films will be very difficult to get hold of in the near future.

I will buy 4K disks and boxsets as long as I am able to, physical media is not just about the movies/music i see them as display items also.

Also when the broadband goes down a lot of digital streamed media is useless unless you have downloaded it to your computer.

Nice! I also love the display factor. Just being able to see the spines and hold the movie and know you can just watch it whenever you please is a joy. And that’s also a great last point. Sure, you save physical space without physical media, but not space digitally that fills up quickly unless you invest in a lot of extra space. Normally my internet is pretty good, but I’d still rather not have to depend on it for my entertainment.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 6,825

I am glad I have kept hold of most of my DVD's and managed to downsize most of them in binders. Many of the films will be very difficult to get hold of in the near future.

Nice! I also love the display factor. Just being able to see the spines and hold the movie and know you can just watch it whenever you please is a joy. And that’s also a great last point. Sure, you save physical space without physical media, but not space digitally that fills up quickly unless you invest in a lot of extra space. Normally my internet is pretty good, but I’d still rather not have to depend on it for my entertainment.

Yes, I much prefer physical media. Love looking at my extensive collection , and have recently started to add steelbooks to it of films I would already have.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 23,407
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Yes, I much prefer physical media. Love looking at my extensive collection , and have recently started to add steelbooks to it of films I would already have.

Just cleaning my movie room, if it were not for physical media my shelves would look pretty empty. Steel books are great I have a good collection, all my Mission Impossible steel books are on plate stands and look great displayed below my Bond box sets and steel books.
    Super hyped about my newest, pricey, but totally worth it purchase: Criterion’s release of Videodrome in 4K. This bad boy 100% deserves a spot in my collection. Nothing else quite like it, not even within the rest of Cronenberg’s filmography. And the fact The Dead Zone is coming to 4K later this year is fantastic as well. Just need The Fly and A History of Violence to make it and all my favorites of his will be there.
    Super hyped about my newest, pricey, but totally worth it purchase: Criterion’s release of Videodrome in 4K. This bad boy 100% deserves a spot in my collection. Nothing else quite like it, not even within the rest of Cronenberg’s filmography. And the fact The Dead Zone is coming to 4K later this year is fantastic as well. Just need The Fly and A History of Violence to make it and all my favorites of his will be there.

All cult classics, The Dead Zone i watched hundreds of times in my youth one of my favorite King adaptions.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

All cult classics, The Dead Zone i watched hundreds of times in my youth one of my favorite King adaptions.

Ahhh, I *LOVE* that one. Have it on blu ray.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Ahhh, I *LOVE* that one. Have it on blu ray.

The ending always had a huge impact on me as a kid.

---

large_aUgFnjP7nzdUYq566EVZ4gB4AzJ.jpg
    HD

It has been a while since I watched part 3, I already own the first two films which are both excellent.

I recall this one being a bit hit and miss though not as bad as the film that followed it.

---

s-l300.jpg
    Not a film though bought this 3 CD set audio book.
    Pre-ordered.
    FGRmEozrb7z3RNKE2ttD2BjD9ARATc_large.jpg