The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Gerard wrote: »
    10990765-2084833977016150.jpg

I've seen the first one, but not the second.

First one's better, but the second has its moments.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I didn't even realize NTTD was already on VUDU for purchase, so I just now added that and made myself a neat, complete Bond film playlist in my virtual library. Feels so good to see a complete collection with a completed era! Now I can skip the individual DVD release to wait until the full physical collection (only a matter of time, right?) gets a release for the satisfying feeling of the bookend eras in a full set.

Wasn't tracking that @FoxRox, thanks. Seems like just a couple days ago I was watching it in a movie theater. Because it was just a couple days ago.

Just purchased on Amazon. I feel great.

Daniel-Craig-as-James-Bond-in-No-Time-To-Die-Amazon-Prime.jpg
    ad307f33-c46d-448b-a998-860f12c72e4f.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
    211109-no-time-to-die-on-demand-amazon.jpg
    0RVsVy_0d3S5U3q00?limit=20&type=thumbnail_600x402
    edited December 2021 Posts: 17,687
    Martin Campbell:

The Foreigner
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bought the complete collected works of Ivo Caprino.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,271
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I didn't even realize NTTD was already on VUDU for purchase, so I just now added that and made myself a neat, complete Bond film playlist in my virtual library. Feels so good to see a complete collection with a completed era! Now I can skip the individual DVD release to wait until the full physical collection (only a matter of time, right?) gets a release for the satisfying feeling of the bookend eras in a full set.

Wasn't tracking that @FoxRox, thanks. Seems like just a couple days ago I was watching it in a movie theater. Because it was just a couple days ago.

Just purchased on Amazon. I feel great.

Daniel-Craig-as-James-Bond-in-No-Time-To-Die-Amazon-Prime.jpg
    ad307f33-c46d-448b-a998-860f12c72e4f.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
    211109-no-time-to-die-on-demand-amazon.jpg
    0RVsVy_0d3S5U3q00?limit=20&type=thumbnail_600x402

Nice, NTTD is still not available to buy in the UK on Prime Video think we have another week to wait.

Edited: Hmm according to Amazon the Bluray is on sale 20/12/21 digital is usually available a week before, I will keep an eye on Prime Video over the next few days as NTTD may become available to purchase.
    Here in Norway, the dvd/bluray gets released 7th January.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    NTTD is now available on Prime Video to buy in the UK, just bought it now I have every Bond Film on Prime. Going to watch it again now Wooooooo! As Rick Flair would say.
    s-l400.jpg

Ordered the original NIGHTMARE ALLEY today. Should arrive by Christmas.
    Never seen it, but looks to be right up my alley.
  • Whirlybird_FanWhirlybird_Fan Sydney, Australia
    ME5R8MX_o.jpg
    My new job had a Secret Santa Christmas party today. Here's a few gifts I received today from my Secret Santa ( a co-worker whom I barely know)

4777813_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

s-l300.jpg

3bbcbfae-c449-444b-8575-fd396e52dbdc.334c7f2e9b25cfd1d8bbf24b47acf89f.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    06af1cee-bd52-4499-8a47-16b359a7e2b2.jpg
    346264463-imp2883-the-odd-couple-collection-explosion-768x768.png
    FORD V FERRARI
    THE MATRIX
    ZACK SNYDER S JUSTICE LEAGUE
    244955_large.jpg244946_large.jpg
    265054_large.jpg

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    s-l400.jpg

Ordered the original NIGHTMARE ALLEY today. Should arrive by Christmas.
    Never seen it, but looks to be right up my alley.

@ToTheRight. We must think alike….I placed my order for the “Nightmare Alley” - Criterion edition several days ago.

While Guillermo del Toro’s 2021 “re-imagining” of the film appears to have tanked at the US box Office, it did help throw a spotlight on the original 1947 film starring Tyrone Power. And that is a good thing.

Several weeks ago (December 6th), Guillermo del Toro and Kim Morgan co-hosted an entire evening of film noir on Turner Classic Movies. In addition to the original film, they introduced “Too Late for Tears” (1949) and “Where the Sidewalk Ends” (1950). I highly recommend both films, if you like classic era film noir.

While I didn’t expect the new film to bring in super box office, even I’m surprised at how poorly it has done. Given the weak US box office for this film as well as the “West Side Story” remake – despite positive reviews in both cases - NTTD’s performance looks that much better.

Great stuff, @Dwayne! I just may upgrade to the criterion version of NIGHTMARE ALLEY. My copy is no frills, but looked quite good. I've heard the remake is solid. If time permits I may try and catch it. Pity it isn't doing so well, though.

I loved both TOO LATE FOR TEARS and WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, especially the latter. Been on a Gene Tierney appreciation lately so I've been watching several of her noir films. But, yes I'm a huge fan of noir.
    Ah, Gene Tierney @ToTheRight ! The Criterion cover art for Leave Her to Heaven alone always brings a wicked smile to my face.

8uvrgmo6h0KZ9XBVk13OiDIVW7R2vc_original.jpg

I’m sure you are already familiar with her off-screen story, but was shocked when I first read about her various stays in mental hospitals and her suicide attempt. She did, eventually, get her life together. The blu-ray of Laura has a very interesting featurette on her life.

Since you are a big fan of Film Noir, have you read “Dark City: The Lost World of Film Noir” by Eddie Muller? While he avoids structuring the book around a “top ten” list like most authors, I still highly recommend it. Plus, the stories he tells about these films (and their actors, writers and directors) are very funny! Mr. Muller is the head of the Film Noir Foundation and they produce a quarterly “Noir City” publication – the current one has an extended interview with Guillermo del Toro and Kim Morgan. He also hosts “Noir Alley” on the Turner Movie Classics cable station.

61VIAdtxOeL.jpg

And just one more of the lovely Gene Tierney - especially for you!
    Gene-Tierney-07_.jpg
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Ah, Gene Tierney @ToTheRight ! The Criterion cover art for Leave Her to Heaven alone always brings a wicked smile to my face.

8uvrgmo6h0KZ9XBVk13OiDIVW7R2vc_original.jpg

I’m sure you are already familiar with her off-screen story, but was shocked when I first read about her various stays in mental hospitals and her suicide attempt. She did, eventually, get her life together. The blu-ray of Laura has a very interesting featurette on her life.

Since you are a big fan of Film Noir, have you read “Dark City: The Lost World of Film Noir” by Eddie Muller? While he avoids structuring the book around a “top ten” list like most authors, I still highly recommend it. Plus, the stories he tells about these films (and their actors, writers and directors) are very funny! Mr. Muller is the head of the Film Noir Foundation and they produce a quarterly “Noir City” publication – the current one has an extended interview with Guillermo del Toro and Kim Morgan. He also hosts “Noir Alley” on the Turner Movie Classics cable station.

61VIAdtxOeL.jpg

And just one more of the lovely Gene Tierney - especially for you!
    Gene-Tierney-07_.jpg

Thanks, @Dwayne! Great picture of her. :)
    I thought it was wonderful that Gene Tierney was able to turn things around for herself later in life. Bogart helped her during the filming of LEFT HAND OF GOD as he had family members who had suffered through depression and mental illness. Encouraged her to get help .
    Superb actress.
    Eddie Muller's great! I really should get a copy of his book. There's a new edition out now. I love his Noir Alley segments, and he also answers fans' questions thru his Film Noir Foundation website which get posted on YouTube. I've written in a handful of times and love his responses. Very funny, and articulate. Even the more jokey questions he delves into with great answers. Never blows anything off.
    51v-4hynA3L._SY445_.jpg

Got a Val Lewton double feature today. :)
    Justice League
    Spider-Man:Homecoming
    Star Wars Episode I the Phantom Menace
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    John Wick, and before that Spectre
    Not a movie, but I decided to take a trip to the past with that set :

Op%C3%A9ration-vol-Int%C3%A9grale-Coffret-19-DVD.jpg
    @Gerard. Is that "It Takes A Thief" (1968-1970)?
    Yup. All the 66 episodes, including the ones that were never shown in France.
    Kull the Conqueror
    R.2d1e4e8213f65eababeaa86ddb912949?rik=xTHUH%2bOkR82R9g&riu=http%3a%2f%2f1.bp.blogspot.com%2f-I0BmUnKuVzU%2fVbJh7WGLSUI%2fAAAAAAAADSY%2fn8SimfmHEL0%2fs1600%2fkull3.jpg&ehk=%2fyPqTI21J4RHaxSnyCk5e7dML836LmDIyGa3AJnuykA%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Blind buy, found it cheap and seemed fun enough judging by the trailer. Can t be worse than the Conan films.
    Mickey Mouse: A Christmas Carol (1983)
    My old VHS copy broke down. This is too great to let it pass.
    1213-anonymous83.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    65bb6897-f491-453c-86ed-46964be1c413.jpg
    852706d0-1df6-4c9f-84c9-f67834a86872.jpg
    50eb25e1-d430-4beb-8f18-6de6bd38a2fc.jpg
    4bf5e172-f07f-470b-83e3-d94df5951b79.jpg
    Batman Returns
    A Nightmare before Christmas
    The Ringu trilogy
    The Man Who Wasn t There
    Mississippi Burning
    The Crow
    The Others

Only The Man Who Wasn t There is new to me.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    My first buy of 2022 today:

blackswancover.jpg
    Black Swan (2010) - 2 disc set (BD+DVD). € 5,00
    First buy of the year :

Shang-Chi-et-la-legende-des-Dix-Anneaux-Blu-ray.jpg
    edited January 2022 Posts: 17,687
    Not a movie, but I FINALLY got The Prisoner on blu ray. As it's out of print & highly prized, it cost me a lot ($115, actually). I ponied up the coin because it is one of my favourite shows ever.