The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    51150dMoxhL._AC_SY445_.jpg

1605.jpg?&h=300&fit=crop

Two brilliant thrillers.
    Never get tired of watching either of them!
    "The Day of the Jackall" for me is a very VERY good thriller with Bond connections (Drax and unofficial M).
    s-l640.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    s-l640.jpg

Excellent artwork.
    220px-The_da_vinci_code_final.jpg

Can't remember the last time I watched The Da Vinci Code. I finished rereading the book a few days ago, so I thought it might be a good idea to watch the film again while I'm at it.

Can't remember the last time I watched The Da Vinci Code. I finished rereading the book a few days ago, so I thought it might be a good idea to watch the film again while I'm at it.

Have to say I found it as dull and boring as the book!!
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,295
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Have to say I found it as dull and boring as the book!!

Quite like the book personally, though it could easily have been much shorter (not the only Dan Brown book I feel that way about). Can't remember anything from the film, unfortunately.
  • From Kino Lorber's last sale:

The Day the Earth Caught Fire: One of my favorites from the 1960s stunningly remastered in 4K. A tense and realistic end-of-the-world picture from Val Guest with snappy, rapid-fire dialogue courtesy of Wolf Mankowitz. Bond connections: Michael Goodliffe, Beatnik music by Monty Norman, and an in-film reference to Lord Rothermere. There's also Michael Caine in a very early blink-and-you'll-miss-it role.

The Interpreter: Sydney Pollack directing Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn in an engaging political thriller set around the UN. Driven by strong performances, a story with a heart, and music by the ever enjoyable James Newton Howard. Bond connections: Jesper Christensen, Earl Cameron, and Tsai Chin.

The Martian Chronicles: Enjoyable, if imperfect, and from what I recall pretty faithful TV miniseries adaptation of The Martian Chronicles. Each episode is an hour and forty minutes, essentially giving you the novel in a trilogy of feature length segments. Pretty cool thing to have in existence considering the episodic source isn't necessarily the easiest thing to translate to film. Rock Hudson, Roddy McDowall, and Bernadette Peters star among others. Bond connection: Bernie Casey at least, maybe more.

The Monster That Challenged the World: An above average 50s B-movie. Starts out slow but picks up speed. I remember seeing this one on TV way back when and thinking it much better than I'd been expecting. It has its moments. The creature is actually pretty ghastly in appearance, but let down by too much camera time and dodgy puppetry. Still, a good time overall. No Bond connections I'm aware of.
    YIdA0Z5picIJShTD1Zm0SeMlspY-xKyg4LN0ctpX5NxSFl5cq71ucm5NNRHHL90wY5pWcKjgE2atDnGoo9WcvLJd-xH79cVSiHv8A7E17NxhNg

Due to the circumstances explained in antoher thread, I had to rebuy them, in a better edistion. I don't have a 4K equipment, and don't want one, but each movie comes in 4K and Blu-Ray, and, unlike the former edition I had, has a ton of special features (including the original footage from Game of Death). Now to buy Enter the Dragon, and i'll have the full set.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    HD Digital Download
    91dfZvqGMzL._SR500,500_.jpg
    I already have this in numerous versions including Google Play Digital Download, though I wanted the whole series on Prime Video Digital Download. (Windows 10 finally has the Prime Video app in the UK which is great, I can download all the film to my PC)
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I really don't buy blu-rays or DVD's these days, as I tend to rent them from iTunes or PlayStation Store, especially as they usually have them on '£1.99 rental' a few weeks after release.

I did more recently pick up a couple of Blu-rays on the cheap:

Robocop (Original)
    Fast and Furious Hobbs and Shaw
    Knives Out

As I will probably watch them multiple times and justify the cost of owning them.
    From Kino Lorber's last sale:

The Day the Earth Caught Fire: One of my favorites from the 1960s stunningly remastered in 4K. A tense and realistic end-of-the-world picture from Val Guest with snappy, rapid-fire dialogue courtesy of Wolf Mankowitz. Bond connections: Michael Goodliffe, Beatnik music by Monty Norman, and an in-film reference to Lord Rothermere. There's also Michael Caine in a very early blink-and-you'll-miss-it role.

Val Guest was also one of the directors of CR67.
  • From Kino Lorber's last sale:

Val Guest was also one of the directors of CR67.

Right you are, and Mankowitz one of the writers. He also introduced Broccoli to Saltzman and did uncredited writing on Dr. No before insisting his name be removed.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 2,896
    Barnes and Noble is having a half-off sale on Criterion Blu-Rays and DVDs, and I have made a pig of myself. First I ordered four Blu-Rays: The Gold Rush (1925), The Kid Brother (1927), The Makioka Sisters (1983) and An Actor's Revenge (1963). And then a few days later I broke down and ordered another four: Safety Last! (1923), The Circus (1928), Speedy (1928), and City Lights (1931). Stop me before I buy again!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Yesterday 16 July 2020 for € 8,00 (New)

IMG-20200717-193723.jpg
    Mission Impossible Rogue Nation 2 disc limited edition.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 5,815
    To replenish my collection :

71JWN663QAL._AC_SY445_.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    81mzv5rqqwL._SL1500_.jpg
    81mzv5rqqwL._SL1500_.jpg

Havent seen it yet! For those who have the station, ITV4 showed it the other night and are repeating it on Tuesday night at 10pm!
    Missed it the first time, plan to watch it tomorrow!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    81mzv5rqqwL._SL1500_.jpg

Havent seen it yet! For those who have the station, ITV4 showed it the other night and are repeating it on Tuesday night at 10pm!
    Missed it the first time, plan to watch it tomorrow!

I have not seen it either though I found it for £3.99, I enjoyed the trailer it looks a lot of fun with a great cast.
    HD Download
    91wGMtXbNDL._RI_.jpg

4K Download
    81wg3zsq5GL._RI_.jpg
    A1FQB51flnL._SX300_.jpg
    A1FQB51flnL._SX300_.jpg

Good one.

Some favourites:

LOVING VINCENT
    A SCANNER DARKLY

and three Murnau films:
    NOSFERATU
    SUNRISE
    TABU: A STORY OF THE SOUTH SEAS
    edited July 2020 Posts: 23,394
    A1FQB51flnL._SX300_.jpg

Good one.

Some favourites:

LOVING VINCENT
    A SCANNER DARKLY

and three Murnau films:
    NOSFERATU
    SUNRISE

A Scanner Darkly is a top science fiction film I have that on Bluray, I keep meaning to watch Loving Vincent, I have a number of Van Gogh prints at home. I have never seen Sunrise though I recall it briefly appearing in a great montage during An Interview with a Vampire
    A1FQB51flnL._SX300_.jpg

Good one.

Some favourites:

LOVING VINCENT
    A SCANNER DARKLY

and three Murnau films:
    NOSFERATU
    SUNRISE

A Scanner Darkly is a top science fiction film I have that on Bluray, I keep meaning to watch Loving Vincent, I have a number of Van Gogh prints at home. I have never seen Sunrise though I recall it briefly appearing in a great montage during An Interview with a Vampire

I wasn t aware of that. I saw Sunrise many years after Interview, so that went by me at the time.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 23,394
    A1FQB51flnL._SX300_.jpg

Good one.

Some favourites:

LOVING VINCENT
    A SCANNER DARKLY

and three Murnau films:
    NOSFERATU
    SUNRISE

I wasn t aware of that. I saw Sunrise many years after Interview, so that went by me at the time.

There is a scene in An Interview with a Vampire when Louis (Pitt) is in the cinema and to show the passage of time it shows clips of Sunrise, Nosferatu,Gone with the Wind and Superman The Movie the emphasis is also on Louis being able to see the sunrise on the silver screen. Its a great scene, unfortunately I can't find the clip on YouTube.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    IMG-20200801-161027.jpg
    The Secret Life of Pets (2016) - 3 disc 3D release (3D+2D+DVD) € 6,99 (€ 9,99 - € 3,00)
    IMG-20200801-161112.jpg
    How Train Your Dragon (2018) - 2 Disc 3D Release (3D + 2D) € 7,99 (€ 10,99 - € 3,00)
    IMG-20200801-161149.jpg
    Top Gun (1986) - From € 8,99 for € 6,00 (€ 8,99 - € 2,99)

All new, together for € 20,98 (€ 29,97 - € 8,99)
    KOTV_BR_Cover_72dpi.png
    All Digital Downloads...
    716919G3m+L._RI_.jpg

81SEYhNNqeL._SX300_.jpg

81OoeNgaobL._RI_.jpg

Friend of mine sent me this one. Great Elvis movie. Wonderful transfer. Pity Twilight Time is no more.

WildInTheCountry_BD_HighRes__44889.1564977952.png?c=2
    HD Download
    11089658-1424783870-721803.jpg