The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    The Martian. Found it for 10 €. I don't know when I'm going to watch it, though.

Ever see it? I still need to get around to watching the extended version. Not sure if it makes the movie even better or causes it to drag.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,874
    Branded to Kill (1967) dir Seijun Suzuki [Arrow Video - blu-ray]
    Outlaw Gangster VIP (1968) dir Toshio Masuda [Arrow Video -blu-ray boxset 6 films] Bought in the Arrow Video sale (once the site stopped crashing!)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    latest?cb=20150929062705

Unlike most, I didn t care much for the 1968 movie, but loved the Burton version.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Thunderfinger
    I love the '68 original but I've never been opposed to the Burton film. It has a great design. Too bad Marky Mark does so little to move us. Estella Warren, by contrast...
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Logan on Blu Ray for $11.99. Good buy
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger
    I love the '68 original but I've never been opposed to the Burton film. It has a great design. Too bad Marky Mark does so little to move us. Estella Warren, by contrast...

Now there's a Bond Girl I would have liked to have seen.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Wow. Did Logan happen to come buy your local store and slash that market price for you, @WillardWhyte?

latest?cb=20161024030550

Good to see you posting again, by the way. I've missed you.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Back to the Future - 30th Anniversary Trilogy
    BTTFtrilogyBluray.png

After watching last Sunday nights Game of Thrones, I was in the mood to watch The Hobbit trilogy. Since I don't own them I went up to my local Best Buy to get the Extended Edition box set that they ALWAYS have... they didn't have it this time. So I browsed around and found this. I haven't watched them since I was a kid and figured what the hell. I'm glad I did because I forgot how good those movies are.

Oh, and I also bought this because it comedy gold.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    monty-python.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I don't have that HOLY GRAIL version, but it must include extras like the "unshot footage" feature.

A lot of good stuff.
    Decided to complete the Tom Baker era of Doctor Who, so I bought the six DVD that were missing from my collection : "Destiny of the Daleks", "City of Death", "The Creature from the Pit", "Nightmare of Eden", "The Leisure Hive" and "Meglos". Now, on to Peter Davison.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon

Wow. Did Logan happen to come buy your local store and slash that market price for you, @WillardWhyte?

latest?cb=20161024030550

Good to see you posting again, by the way. I've missed you.

I was quite shocked when I saw it on Amazon for that price. I have a lot of Marvel movies on a wish list, with prices hovering around $19.99 - $21.99.

Gotta be ready pounce on the deals!
    I've just heard through Amazon that 'The Day of the Jackal' is to be released in September on blu-ray with some cool looking artwork on the cover! Have to put that on my list.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I've just heard through Amazon that 'The Day of the Jackal' is to be released in September on blu-ray with some cool looking artwork on the cover! Have to put that on my list.

Ashamed to say I've only seen the remake. This is another one that's been on my list for the longest time.
    Ah you're joking?? See it! Its an absolute classic! The remake is nothing like it, that was rubbish!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Ah you're joking?? See it! Its an absolute classic! The remake is nothing like it, that was rubbish!

Sadly not! I'll definitely take a look at it in the near future. I think I was just young and stumbled upon the remake way back in the early days of Netflix, without even realizing it was a remake, and I had to check it out given how interesting i sounded. I'm sure the original is infinitely better.

I remember almost nothing from the film except a part with some massive mounted machine gun and...I think Jack Black was in the scene?
    I've wiped it from my memory, Creasy47!
    You will too when you view the original!
    Will be interested to read your review of the original when you do see it!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    The Day of the Jackal, the first DVD they bought in my house. It was so exciting to see it looked so much better than VHS. It is, of course, a terrific film.

I wonder if its story could be applied to a Bond film... just to have it be about 007 trying to prevent a political assassination in a public event. I'd watch that. I do worry the requisite action sequences throughout the film could detract from the climactic scenes, though.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Not a movie, but I bought it nonetheless...
    91Pcjpzjh3L._SX342_.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    91cstJQ9j5L._SY445_.jpg

5130169V94L.jpg
    91cstJQ9j5L._SY445_.jpg

5130169V94L.jpg

The first one is a classic. Liz Taylor was never as beautiful as in this movie. Haven't seen the second one.
    91cstJQ9j5L._SY445_.jpg

5130169V94L.jpg

The first one is a classic. Liz Taylor was never as beautiful as in this movie. Haven't seen the second one.

I'm brushing up on my golden age/vintage actresses, including both Fontaine and Oberon.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    91cstJQ9j5L._SY445_.jpg

5130169V94L.jpg

I'm brushing up on my golden age/vintage actresses, including both Fontaine and Oberon.

@MajorDSmythe, I think you could add Olivia de Havilland to the list, as The Adventures of Robin Hood is great classic fun from the late 30s. I think you'd really enjoy the romp that it is.

And you'll never go wrong from checking out some of my favorites, including Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe, Ingrid Bergman, Grace Kelly and the Hepburns. Guard your heart, however, because these women shall make you lament that you never saw them during their peek years alive.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 13,894
    91cstJQ9j5L._SY445_.jpg

5130169V94L.jpg

@MajorDSmythe, I think you could add Olivia de Havilland to the list, as The Adventures of Robin Hood is great classic fun from the late 30s. I think you'd really enjoy the romp that it is.

And you'll never go wrong from checking out some of my favorites, including Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe, Ingrid Bergman, Grace Kelly and the Hepburns. Guard your heart, however, because these women shall make you lament that you never saw them during their peek years alive.

I haven't seen Bacall in anything, at all. I probably will get around to her at some point. I think we talked before about The Big Sleep, and how I had only seen the remake, and wanted to see the original to compare them.

Monroe, I have seen in three films, though none for her specifically. I can't say that I got the urge to watch anything just for her involvement. I am not going to knock her pop culture status, but I don't think it was for her acting, going by what I have seen to far.

Bergman, like Bacall, is one I don't think I have seen in anything... no, I tell a lie, I have seen her in Notorious. But again, I will make a point of looking into more of her films.

Grace Kelly I have seen in two film, Rear Window and To Catch A Thief, and like Bacall and Bergman, I will certainly look into seeing (more of) her films.

Hepburn is another that I have seen a little of, 1 and a bit film. How can I see one and a bit film? Well, i've seen Charade, and bits of Wait Until Dark. I will add her to my list of name to look into as well.

I already count Ginger Rogers, Susan Hayward, Betty Grable, Rita Haywoth and while she is a bit younger then them, our own Diana Dors as favourites from that time. When I am in possession of a time machine, a trip to the 30's/40's/50's to see them in their prime would be impossible resist.
    91cstJQ9j5L._SY445_.jpg

5130169V94L.jpg

I haven't seen Bacall in anything, at all. I probably will get around to her at some point. I think we talked before about The Big Sleep, and how I had only seen the remake, and wanted to see the original to compare them.

Monroe, I have seen in three films, though none for her specifically. I can't say that I got the urge to watch anything just for her involvement. I am not going to knock her pop culture status, but I don't think it was for her acting, going by what I have seen to far.

Bergman, like Bacall, is one I don't think I have seen in anything... no, I tell a lie, I have seen her in Notorious. But again, I will make a point of looking into more of her films.

Grace Kelly I have seen in two film, Rear Window and To Catch A Thief, and like Bacall and Bergman, I will certainly look into seeing (more of) her films.

Hepburn is another that I have seen a little of, 1 and a bit film. How can I see one and a bit film? Well, i've seen Charade, and bits of Wait Until Dark. I will add her to my list of name to look into as well.

I already count Ginger Rogers, Susan Hayward, Betty Grable, Rita Haywoth and while she is a bit younger then them, our own Diana Dors as favourites from that time. When I am in possession of a time machine, a trip to the 30's/40's/50's to see them in their prime would be impossible resist.

@MajorDSmythe, you'll love Lauren, I know it. The definitive femme fatale of her day, and sexy and powerful as all hell. Any movie where she's with Bogie is a great watch, and their genuine chemistry just brings everything alive and resonates.

For Marilyn I'd check out the films where she was allowed to break away from the pretty/dumb blonde role and do more interesting things with drama and comedy. For drama her turn in Niagara is great, where she plays a very deep and flawed woman that is interesting. I'd add River of No Return to the list too, but since it has Mitchum in it I'm sure you've caught that before. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Some Like it Hot, as well as the endearing Let's Make Love show her range and comedic timing as an actress of wit and great physical comedy, where she is in on the own joke she is serving to bring alive. I'd also add The Seven Year Itch to the list on top of that, with elements of both comedy and a human angle that is a nice mix; in each effort Marilyn gives off a very endearing sense of spirit and passion that is great to see. She lights up the screen in all of them, and mesmerizes. It was the above films that made me fall in love with the image of a woman on a screen when I was a kid, and that love hasn't died since.

If you dig Rita Hayworth you should check out The Lady From Shanghai if you haven't, a noir with Orson Welles where she plays a dangerous dame. Required viewing for her fans, I'd say, with one of the coolest moments in all of cinema hidden inside.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 - Thinking about it now, I have seen Bacall in a film, How To Marry A Millionaire, which also stars Grable and Monroe. The other two films I have seen with Monroe in them, are Monkey Business (with Rogers), and yes, Bend Of The River, with Mitchum.

I have a copy of Lady From Shanghai, but as ever, there are never enough hours in the day, and so many films for me to see.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 - Thinking about it now, I have seen Bacall in a film, How To Marry A Millionaire, which also stars Grable and Monroe. The other two films I have seen with Monroe in them, are Monkey Business (with Rogers), and yes, Bend Of The River, with Mitchum.

I have a copy of Lady From Shanghai, but as ever, there are never enough hours in the day, and so many films for me to see.

@MajorDSmythe, I see. Well I think you've yet to see the full glory or talents of Monroe, so I look forward to your thoughts whenever you dig deeper into her catalogue.

The same with Shaghai, which I think you'll like for just Hayworth alone though it is far from a perfect film and Welles faced the same studio troubles that made up his career.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    To Live And Die In LA Blu ray
    11329580-9914413061317711.jpg
    Great release from Arrow of this cult Friedkin thriller.

Lovely restoration making the seedy LA locations really stand out. The picture is pin sharp and Wang Chung's soundtrack has never sounded better.

The extra's promise more than they deliver as usual with Arrow, but the interviews are good and the 'alternate' ending is so dumb it's hilarious!

It has a William Friedkin commentary which I'm really looking forward to hearing.
    572946.jpg

Found it yesterday at the local mall, figured "Why Not ?". At the very least, it might be entertaining.
    BRd
    22 jumpstreet
    the equilizer
    Salt

[3 brd for 10 euro, enjoyable for vacation watching]
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

LOGAN
    Such a terrific movie, a really powerful and fitting ending to an era. The tribute video below contains spoilers.