Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I don't see that happening. Each Bond actor has mainly had the one gun barrel, I'd imagine it will be the same this time. And before, anyone mentions, the last two don't count and please for the love of all things Bond don't ask me why!
    RC7 wrote:
    Apologies for the quality - here it is...

Cheers RC7! Nice to see some footage at last! :D
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I don't see that happening. Each Bond actor has mainly had the one gun barrel, I'd imagine it will be the same this time. And before, anyone mentions, the last two don't count and please for the love of all things Bond don't ask me why!

Connery had 1 (Thunderball-Diamonds)
    Lazenby had 1 (OHMSS)
    Moore had 2 (1 for LALD to MWGG) (2 TSWLM to AVTAK)
    Dalton had 3 (1 for TLD and LTK) (the other two were unused)
    Brosnan had 2 (1 for GE to DAD) (the other one was unused but used for TND Teaser)
    002 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Connery had 1 (Thunderball-Diamonds)
    Lazenby had 1 (OHMSS)
    Moore had 2 (1 for LALD to MWGG) (2 TSWLM to AVTAK)
    Dalton had 3 (1 for TLD and LTK) (the other two were unused)
    Brosnan had 2 (1 for GE to DAD) (the other one was unused but used for TND Teaser)

Plus the Bob Simons that Connery had too.
    Plus both of Craig's (I firmly believe that the gun barrel in CR was quite innovative and good, I loved it, didn't happen the same with QOS) Because this two DO count
  • RC7 wrote:
    Apologies for the quality - here it is...

Well done. Much appreciated. Looks solid.

• Samuel001 wrote:

I think they do count.

To be honest I'm just hoping they change it because I'm not a fan of it. Maybe it'll be better in the cinema though, like I said before, could've been sped up for the advert.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Well I have no problem with the gun barrel and from this most recent mini doc I have to say this film looks incredibly promising, I think we are going to see something very special, Mendes seems to know what a Bond film should contain and those little new snippets we get like M saying about the Aston drawing attention I'm thinking this going to deliver where QOS didn't, sorry can't be negative about this at all, I'm well and truly looking forward to this.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=10472&t=mi6&s=news
    @002 - We're talking about gun barrels used in the finished films only.
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think they do count.

Good God. I'm talking about the full gun barrels that open the film.

Each actor bar Moore, has had one. The reason Moore had two was because his first two films were shot in a different picture format - the name escapes me - to his others, hence it had to be redone. It is very likely therefore the one used for Skyfall will be used for all of Craig's subsequent films as well.
  • ^ I hope so. I like the consistency of using the same gun barrel.
  • tqbtqb
    I disagree, I think each movie should have its own barrel.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think they do count.

Good God. I'm talking about the full gun barrels that open the film.

Each actor bar Moore, has had one. The reason Moore had two was because his first two films were shot in a different picture format - the name escapes me - to his others, hence it had to be redone. It is very likely therefore the one used for Skyfall will be used for all of Craig's subsequent films as well.

Alright, no need to get your knickers in a twist.

They could've just kept using the QOS one at the end but they didn't, or they could've kept having Craig turn round and shoot like in CR.

They're gunbarrels, so I think they count. And I think the new one isn't very good so I hope they change it.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    The reason Moore had two was because his first two films were shot in a different picture format - the name escapes me - to his others, hence it had to be redone. It is very likely therefore the one used for Skyfall will be used for all of Craig's subsequent films as well.

Live and Let Die and The Man With The Golden Gun were shot in an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, while the others were shot in 2.35:1.
    They could've just kept using the QOS one at the end but they didn't, or they could've kept having Craig turn round and shoot like in CR.

Why on Earth would they keep non-traditional gun barrels, that were both one offs? The Quantum Of Solace one, as we know, had a much faster walking pace. Whichever way you look at it, it had to be reshot for Skyfall. That was a given from day one, really.

We can only judge it when we've seen if of course, but I feel it's all much ado about nothing and it will be just like it was before 2002.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The reason Moore had two was because his first two films were shot in a different picture format - the name escapes me - to his others, hence it had to be redone. It is very likely therefore the one used for Skyfall will be used for all of Craig's subsequent films as well.

Live and Let Die and The Man With The Golden Gun were shot in an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, while the others were shot in 2.35:1.

Thank you! That was what I was aimlessly searching for.
    Btw, the Adele ad is being shown between movies on Sky 007. The gun-barrel is back! First it was on posters then the Adele single cover and now in the Ad :-D

Just 15 days to see it on the big screen!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Brosnan had all of his gunbarrels remade for each movie. Why not Craig to do it to? ;)
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 655
    its nearly 4 years wait, and we are here with 15 days till its on the big screen.

18 days till we all see it.

As for the gun barrel. I like it when theres a new one for each film. Keeps it fresh.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Brosnan had all of his gunbarrels remade for each movie. Why not Craig to do it to? ;)

No he didn't...
    For you, me and other Bond fans: yes. For ordinary cinema-go-ers: no. We understand this arc-thing. And frankly, we Bond fans would have loved the ending of OHMSS to be part of the pre credits sequence of DAF. But frankly, I think the larger audience recognizes Bond, with the capital B, with that famous gunbarrel-trademark at the start.

Moreover, I think the story-arc from CR-QOS should have been clear from the actual plot, the story, the narrative of the screenplay. How Bond turned into the smooth agent should be crystal clear from the story. The gunbarrel at the end of the movie is simply....silly for me....and is IMO nothing more than an failed experiment that actually distracts the ordinary audience. Even Bond fans at first were not very happy with it......only after the reality kicked in we learned to accept this 'end titles gunbarrel'.

So, GUNBARREL. BACK. AT. START.

It is clear from watching the film though. He brings in Yusef Kabira for questioning and after straightening things out with M, drops Vesper's necklace in the snow and lets go of that pain. Thus becoming the fully formed 007 we've been waiting for. Hence why the 'professional' looking gunbarrel was at the end, it makes thematic sense for that story.

Now with SF he is the complete article and there is no doubt in my mind that the gunbarrel will be back at the start.

Just a question for everyone. Which gunbarrel style do you prefer:

A CR 'woven into story' type?

Or the traditional 'walk-on' version?
    X3MSonicX wrote:

That's not entirely true. His gunbarrel-pose was re-used for every Bond-film. Only DAD got an extra bullet attached. Same for Sean Connery, George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton.

Roger Moore is the only actor who did two versions. One pose for his first two 16:9 screen format Bond films LALD and TMWTGG. For TSWLM they had to come up with a new gunbarrel version including new pose, because that movie was filmed in cinemascope letterbox. So Roger did a new pose for that one and that one was used until AVTAK.

Daniel Craig is only the second actor to do a second...even third gunbarrel pose. He did his third for SF. That one will be the gunbarrel we all live: Used at the very start of SF, with the old Binder-design and modernized slightly by Daniel Kleinman.

By the way.....I was looking at Roger Moore's gunbarrel from LALD. I just saw that for that gunbarrel they were actually planning to let him walk towards the camera. Watch the trailer of LALD:

<youtube>

So Moore's first gunbarrel pose was part of a larger promotional thing for the trailer.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @March2ifinity Walk on, by a very long shot. They should never have changed it, there was no need.
    I see what you mean, but I loved the CR one because they made it fit into the story and it becomes a part of the narrative. I suppose the only important thing is to have one in a film!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,119
    @March2ifinity Walk on, by a very long shot. They should never have changed it, there was no need.

That I agree thelivingroyale. I think it was always a bit 'over the top' to forcefully make the gunbarrel part of the storyline as well. Like the gunbarrel pose actually was one of his first two kills. I don't know....the plot for CR was already so fine, so good...it didn't need the gunbarrel to be woven into the storyline.

Moreover, Maurice Binder never created the gunbarrel as some kind of storyline. It was just a great visual element. The sheer beauty of the gunbarrel and its use in the 'Dr No' main titles sequence was the reason it was used: Just a main title element to create space for the names of the producers Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli.

I respect the original approach for CR and QOS though, but the gunbarrel is such a trademark, such a stand-alone visual element of Bond. I am happy the original gunbarrel will therefore be back in Skyfall. Especially here in Spain where I live, the audience will start clapping after the gunbarrel. I'm certain.

I think it would be a great gesture to show the names of Michael G. Wilson & Barbara Broccoli in the dots :-). Maybe Daniel Kleinman thinks about that as a gesture towards the 50 year anniversary and as a big 'Thank you' to the Broccoli and Wilson family. Like this:

<youtube>
    <youtube>
    Whatever people's opinions are on the use of the gunbarrel and its placement within the film. I thought it was quite cleverly used in CR and at least they tried to utilise it in a different way to keep it fresh whilst actually making it relevant to the narrative. Hence why for me weaving it into the story makes it more of a "a great visual element". But as long as it's in every Bond film then I won't complain. And I know that QoS's one was unique in the same way that CR's will probably be unique because they deal with Vesper's betrayal and death....and ultimately her love for Bond. So those films stand apart for that. I'm just excited to see the film and I know Craig et al will knock it out of the cricket pitch.

I also have a feeling that Gareth Mallory....or rather Mallory will be the new M. Ralph Fiennes plays a lot of oddballs and villains but I think we may get blindsided on this one. I hope so.
    Whatever people's opinions are on the use of the gunbarrel and its placement within the film. I thought it was quite cleverly used in CR and at least they tried to utilise it in a different way to keep it fresh whilst actually making it relevant to the narrative. Hence why for me weaving it into the story makes it more of a "a great visual element". But as long as it's in every Bond film then I won't complain. And I know that QoS's one was unique in the same way that CR's will probably be unique because they deal with Vesper's betrayal and death....and ultimately her love for Bond. So those films stand apart for that. I'm just excited to see the film and I know Craig et al will knock it out of the cricket pitch.

I also have a feeling that Gareth Mallory....or rather Mallory will be the new M. Ralph Fiennes plays a lot of oddballs and villains but I think we may get blindsided on this one. I hope so.

Let's agree to disagree then. That's the lovely thing about the Bond franchise. This franchise is so frikkin' huge, with some many films and different interpretations. The fact that we have these discussions only enhances the sheer impact of the biggest movie franchise of all times. Wouldn't you say ;-)?
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    I don't think we've seen Craig's movie-gunbarrel yet. The sky ad one is different from the pose in the Bond On Set book, wich is again slightly different from the secrets of skyfall-one. Anyway, i'm not going to look for better quality stills or video's, as I want at least thát part of the movie to be a suprise...
  • if they are different, then well spotted. That makes it a very good chance we will see a new gun barrel. im excited waiting to see what they do.
    Let's agree to disagree then. That's the lovely thing about the Bond franchise. This franchise is so frikkin' huge, with some many films and different interpretations. The fact that we have these discussions only enhances the sheer impact of the biggest movie franchise of all times. Wouldn't you say ;-)?

Definitely :). My opinion would probably be heavily out-voted anyway and I'm not being contrarian. I do prefer the CR style gunbarrel but there's a lot of tradition behind its use and most wouldn't want to change it so that's fine.

So M for Mallory? What are your thoughts?

Definitely :). My opinion would probably be heavily out-voted anyway and I'm not being contrarian. I do prefer the CR style gunbarrel but there's a lot of tradition behind its use and most wouldn't want to change it so that's fine.

So M for Mallory? What are your thoughts?

Pretty certain about that. Dame Judi Dench is 77 Mach2Infinity. She portrayed M 7 times (Bernard Lee did so 11 times), but there comes a time that you want to enjoy your retirement.....even as an actor.
    Pretty certain about that. Dame Judi Dench is 77 Mach2Infinity. She portrayed M 7 times (Bernard Lee did so 11 times), but there comes a time that you want to enjoy your retirement.....even as an actor.

Yes I know, I suppose back in the day films were a little less complex and production could be wrapped (pre-production to principal photogtraphy to post-production) in a shorter space of time. Hence why Mr. Lee managed more films. But as you rightly pointed out, age isn't on her side unfortunately and given her occular condition, I highly doubt she'll return. But I've read she has a larger role in SF so at least she'll bow out having shared more screentime.

This comment:
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Fiennes as Blofeld would equal Heath Ledger as Joker in terms of great casting. To me, the fact he has already mentioned that his role is "darkly complex" and fun and interesting" rules him being out the new M which is king of a standard and limited role with little scope for fun. But i,m just happy he's in the cast as he's one of my favourite, "would have made a great Bond" actors.

Clickable link

What do you make of it?

I don't agree that just because a role is "darkly complex" and "fun and interesting" that he cannot be referring to M. If he's taking over then perhaps it'll be a slightly different spin on the character. Plus Fiennes is young enough that they can do quite a few films with him as M even after Craig retires from the role.

Pardon me for being slightly off-topic.