Ralph Fiennes

124»

Comments

• Now we know there will be a laboratory scene in Skyfall, what if Ralph Fiennes' character is a crazy scientist who has developed a biological warfare ? Would a screenplay a la Mission : impossible II work for Skyfall to you ?
  • Now we know there will be a laboratory scene in Skyfall, what if Ralph Fiennes' character is a crazy scientist who has developed a biological warfare ? Would a screenplay a la Mission : impossible II work for Skyfall to you ?
    Hmmm, I suddenly think of the laboratory in OHMSS ;-).
    Fiennes as Blofeld would equal Heath Ledger as Joker in terms of great casting. To me, the fact he has already mentioned that his role is "darkly complex" and fun and interesting" rules him being out the new M which is king of a standard and limited role with little scope for fun. But i,m just happy he's in the cast as he's one of my favourite, "would have made a great Bond" actors.
  • When I first saw the photo stills of Fiennes shooting behind a wall for cover prior to SF release, I assumed he was some type of villain.

Question for those older folks. Was Robert Brown considered a well-known actor hire as M at the time or did he benefit from appearing as Admiral Hargreaves? I was already familiar with RF's impressive body of work prior to SF. Then again, we have that powerful resource known as the world wide web today that provides info galore.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,119
    mrnate8 wrote:
    When I first saw the photo stills of Fiennes shooting behind a wall for cover prior to SF release, I assumed he was some type of villain.

Question for those older folks. Was Robert Brown considered a well-known actor hire as M at the time or did he benefit from appearing as Admiral Hargreaves? I was already familiar with RF's impressive body of work prior to SF. Then again, we have that powerful resource known as the world wide web today that provides info galore.

No. I think that's where 'Skyfall' stands out from the previous Bond films. In the 'Cubby'-days, casting directors were told not to hire big star names. You saw what happened with George Lazenby. I think this fear was always a bit part of the franchise. According to Cubby, the real star was James Bond, NOT the actor.

With 'Skyfall' this changed considerably. James Bond can now be connected with big star names as Javier Bardem, Ben Whishaw, Ralph Fiennes, Albert Finney and Judi Dench. And perhaps names like Christoph Waltz, Philip Seymour-Hoffman, Tilda Swinton...to name a few. Also, look to the main titles of the film. After Daniel Craig, actor Javier Bardem is the first actor to be mentioned. Usually, in previous Bond films, the female leading Bond girl was the first actor that was mentioned after the word 'starring...'.

Compare....

with.....

Star power is finally something the Bond producers aren't afraid of anymore. Starpower can actually sell a Bond film perfectly, both quality-wise as marketing-wise.

Coming back to your inital question. I think Robert Brown never was a big actor. At least he did not have the starpower Ralph Fiennes has.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,447
    Possible because of release of Specre and succes of Skyfall, Just Bridge Entertainment wil release Coriolanus from 2011 with and directed by Ralph Fienes and Written by John Logan (Skyfall, Spectre) movie on Bluray and dvd in The Netherlands on 17 November 2015. Also starring Gerard Butler, Brian Cox, Jessica Chastain, Vanessa Redgrave and Belgium actres Lubna Azabal (Body of Lies).

9200000049821803.jpg