Analyzing the Transition of Power After The U.S. Election and Beyond Into Future Global Politics

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Jerry Falwell for some position in the Department of Education? Not confirmed. We shall see. Such interesting choices, yes. It seems Falwell has been a strong supporter for Trump.
  • Jerry Falwell for some position in the Department of Education? Not confirmed. We shall see. Such interesting choices, yes. It seems Falwell has been a strong supporter for Trump.

That means: Cutting down costs on the entire ministry of education. Or: Cutting down major, important investments in higher education, like keeping a 0% interest rate on student loans...or giving the first year at university for a reduced price.

When it comes to education, I always prefer a Democrat. They are focused more on the young people.....and long-term prospects of really young kids. I mean, the fact that the Republicans need the white non-educated youngsters for their electorate, instead of making sure that that entire electorate will slowly diminish, in itself is a blasphemy.

Educational investments are really the seeds for the future of the USA....and to really make America great....and keep it great. Sadly, there's absolutely nothing in Trump's plans that focuses on that. In fact, I expect Bush-ian cost cuts on the ministry of education. That's the task Mr Falwell will probably get.
  • Will this topic continue? Or am I posting stuff for a rat's ass in here? Do I go to @BondJames new topic? Or do I stay in here @DarthDimi ?!
  • It isn't an either/or situation. You can do both.
    This is an ongoing thread. There are two, @Gustav_Graves. This one Chris set up and the other Bondjames, who has a different take in general regarding Trump, set up the other one. You have two to discuss things within. :)
    edited November 2016 Posts: 12,459
    We shall just have to wait and see as Falwell is not a sure thing yet. He is a creationist, though, and would want to change the textbooks in America. I doubt Americans would accept that. Unsure if Falwell will be involved at all in that department.

I just read confirmation of new Secretary of Education is Betsey DeVos. Jeb Bush likes her.

I personally am unfamiliar with her, but I'm hoping this is a good choice. As with everything, time will tell. Actions matter, not so much the words.

Nikki R. Halley has been named as Ambassador to the United Nations. Seems to be a lot of Trump supporters hating her in this role. She spoke out against Trump earlier.

So he is making gestures to diversify. Two women, one with Indian immigrant parents.
    Most of Trump's choices are controversial, in varying degrees (especially Bannon, Priebus, and Sessions).

And it seems (getting reports it is not confirmed) that Ben Carson will be Secretary of HUD. More reports say it is confirmed. I think by his own recent comments that he will/has accepted this role.

Here is some info regarding something else - Donald Trump Jr. trying to get cooperation with Russia, about a month ago.

National Education Association not happy with DeVos as choice. Really against her.

She has supporters and also plenty against her. We can simply hope she will do a good job.

And okay, this made me smile.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @4EverBonded, sorry, but you post too much relevant material here. Fighting is the THING. Simplistic battle for battle's sake. The other thread is the cool kid's corner. :))
    Jump in with your battle cries, then. ;) I've stated what means most to me and trying to post current relevant news links. So boring, I know ... especially in this clickbait, fake news world. Why worry? (where is Mad magazine when I need it?!) ha!
    Let the swamp be filled, let the normalization of Nazis and white supremists and their ilk continue. Cheers!
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    @4EverBonded, sorry, but you post too much relevant material here. Fighting is the THING. Simplistic battle for battle's sake. The other thread is the cool kid's corner. :))

More like the crazy kids' corner. I just go over there to poke the bear. Maybe it's best that two political threads were created after all. This place I come to for sanity, over there any sort of wild-ass claims are fair game.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,691
    Seems neither the incoming nor outgoing presidents give half a crap about the peaceful protesters being violently treated at Standing Rock. WTH, just Indians is all...

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/23/503120449/woman-injured-at-standing-rock-protest-might-lose-arm-family-says

In this way, Trump will be every bit as good a President as Obama. 8-|

Happy Thanksgiving indeed.
    So Conway is dropping bits of crumbs, and this may be a veiled nudge before Trump publicly decides not to choose Romney. Or she is just feeding crumbs to the Trump supporters who really hate Romney but he will choose him anyway.

Governing, making important decisions that will shape the presidency, all being made such a friendly, accessible thing with our president elect & his team on twitter and Facebook (sarcasm alert).

It looks like we may actually have the first president to tweet throughout his administration. That is different, isn't it? His tweets have so far continued right along in his same Trumpian way: inflaming, challenging, bombastic persuading, "telling it like it is" (not) in his own personal style, as well as containing lies. Oh and saying "It's not fair!" etc. Smoke & mirrors throughout. One person on twitter had been sending out a crisp "Act presidential" tweet in response to what Trump has put out, starting on November 8th. That person finally gave up. It is apparent to all that he will not, cannot act presidential for the majority of time that he is awake. It will be an interesting administration; never a dull moment.

"Many people are saying" there is a great parallel in the classic book, A Wrinkle in Time. ("IT" worth revisiting ...)

And here's your light relief sort of, @chrisisall and @BeatlesSansEarmuffs
    Since Russia has its hands in our election, keep in mind:
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Here's more light relief, with that fab Thanksgiving tradition:
    "Alice's Restaurant" by Arlo Guthrie.
    From the article, an interesting fact: The song is 18 minutes 34 seconds long, give or take a minute depending on his pace. The length of the song is the exact same length as the gap in the Nixon Watergate tapes, and Guthrie has often quipped that the song may explain that silence in the infamous tapes.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2015/08/26/things-about-arlo-guthrie-alice-restaurant-its-anniversary/n9KOboD8L9X32UownPPFtK/story.html?s_campaign=bostonglobe:socialflow:twitter
    A handy list of who Trump has picked and is currently considering choosing, for his administration. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-administration-appointee-tracker/?hpid=hp_no-name_graphic-story-a:homepage/story
    I need sleep more now than ever,,,,
    Trump's envoy reassures Japan that nothing Trump said during the campaign meant anything. It was just bluster to get elected. All countries lining up for this same answer. (not news, but it just was put out officially, so here you go ...)

with some nice Mark Twain thrown in~

And an obvious point about Trump's businesses mixing with his new role as president ~
    "Imagine if Hillary had won, Chelsea was running the foundation and sitting in on every meeting. What would GOP say?"

And Peggy Noonan calls on Trump to stop his business dealings while president. He won't, he cannot help himself, but it is good she is going flat out on this.
    I fear that Trump will take the next four years and fill the coffers of his many businesses.
    He is already laying the ground work for business dealings on a global scale and with his children in charge (in name only) he will be richer in four years.

The wife and younger child have expressed a desire to live in Trump Plaza and not the White House. Secret Service detail to this edifice will cost millions of tax payer money and right into Trumps pocket.
    This is all perfectly legal (if questionable and ethics come into play) but I see Trump as no better than those tin house dictators who cleaned out their country treasuries prior to fleeing (Somoza in Nicaragua, Idi Amin in Uganda, Papa Doc Duvalier in Haiti).

His turning down his $400,000 salary as POTUS sounds noble but I expect he will break this vow along with many of his campaign promises. (what millionaire would turn down $400, 000 ?)
    Of course. It is beyond any reasonable representation of what a president-elect or a president should do. And the inherent dignity of the office has taken a huge hit. So other countries can be amused and horrified equally.

Trump will get benefits, oh like a tax break and publicity, for not taking a salary. He is not smart about many things, but working tax breaks and deals for his own benefit he has tons of experience with. The key to Trump, in my opinion, is that he is out for himself only; that is his overriding motivation, driven by his ego. That is his track record. Unfortunately, he has shown to be easily influenced. Look at who has has chosen as his closest advisers. Also what he says to other countries.

American citizens are right to watch him very carefully. What he does. Since so many people have already discounted what he said in order for him to be elected. And now it is out in the open that yes, it was all bluster to get elected, and just watch and see what really happens. GOP has no real idea what they are treading in here either. People wanted to shake things up and make a big change. But this kind of change ... and far more to come (with breadcrumbs of small things that may be helpful) ... is dangerous for the very core of democracy and foundation of our country. In my opinion, of course.

Many of these big changes will not be healthy for America - especially the normalization of racism and extreme white supremists, along with attending escalating violence and suppression/manipulation of the media. I think the far majority of Americans do not want any of that ... but it is happening, not a mirage. Just don't be complacent. All sides should speak up; we still have freedom of speech.

I post links to articles I feel are relevant, rather than quoting them in full here. But I hope people, all of us, are reading a wide variety of news, essays, information.

Breitbart = Bannnon = extreme right white supremists, stirring of racist hatred, and violence. In a nutshell. Because there is no sugarcoating for Breitbart or Bannon. Just look at his own history and the history of what Brietbart has put out.

Yes, that is interesting. Thanks, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs. In part, Ben Shapiro (former staff) said this: I don’t think that Trump is particularly racist. I think he’s an ignoramus. I think that more than anything, Trump is willing to pay heed to and wink at anybody who provides him even a shred of good coverage. So if the alt-right, which worships at the altar of Trump—if they provide him good coverage, he’s willing to wink and nod at them and not wreck them.

Our incoming president. There is a lot of information out there; interviews, people from all spectrum of politics speaking up (even Peggy Noonan, see my above post). Keep reading, everybody.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited November 2016 Posts: 4,554
    chrisisall wrote: »

This is an excellent piece. There is truth in what she writes. But "race" is a part of that rural vote; listen to enough "poor, white folk," and you will hear plenty of scapegoating. This is what is meant by "take our country back." Back from what or from whom?

But beyond that, the glaring issue is that rural America thinks Trump is going to save them. (Or maybe they don't and don't care.) If those in rural America want change, it starts closer to home: their state reps and U.S. reps and senators. In almost all of those parts of the country, the sea has been "red" for decades, and they have just put the same Republicans back in Congress. Yet again. So there is a disconnect with residents in these rural parts of the country as to WHY they are in this position.

1. Republicans busted unions in the 80s. Union membership provides a lot of things: one forgotten thing it does is keep workers abreast and up-to-date on the prevailing winds of change. Without regular meetings to attend, to know what's on the horizon, many of these workers were suddenly left holding the bag because technology past them by. And they didn't see it coming. (see point #3)

2. Republicans (Reagan) changed our economic culture with supply side economics. Every metric shows that our economy has been steadily growing for 30 years. Great, right? Well, tell that to people in these rural areas. The gap between rich and poor has been widening ever since. There was no trickle down and there never will be.

3. Republicans have stopped funding education, especially in terms of adult re-entry programs. Obama talked a lot about getting the workforce educated, but that won't happen if states are de-funding higher education. This has happened all over the country, especially in these rural states that have continuously elected Republican governors and state legislatures.

So...bye bye unions, bye bye prosperity, bye bye educational opportunities.

And who did that to them?
    Good food for thought, @TripAces. Thank you.
    @TripAces, yes, some very succinct points there.
    @4EverBonded, so Trump was just spewing whatever to get elected? ? Positively shocking. :P
    What would James Bond think of Trump? Now there's a topic ... ;)

B-)
    What would James Bond think of Trump? Now there's a topic ... ;)
    B-)
    Actually, I asked him, here was his response:
    "I have neither the political expertise nor the desire to comment on your American Presidential choices. Your problems are your own, thank you very much."

:-O
    But he keeps his thoughts to himself. Like any good secret agent. ;)
    And he is no fool. B-)
    Obama should leave the White house now and let the Trumpster take over Now.

Obama treats the White house like a holiday house and wants to celebrate Christmas and New years there with his family and friends while the typical american worker actually works for a living.
    001 wrote: »
    Obama treats the White house like a holiday house and wants to celebrate Christmas and New years there with his family and friends while the typical american worker actually works for a living.
    Flagged for nebulous execution, vague intent & general illiteracy.

:))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    001 wrote: »
    Flagged for nebulous execution, vague intent & general illiteracy.

:))

Brosnan Defender Of The Realm says it all about you.......... :D
This discussion has been closed.