The great MI6 Community JAMES BOND Advent Calendar

Comments

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    That 50th Anniversary video is absolutely perfect. One of the best I've seen. I've seen it a lot of times and I can't get enough of it! Brilliant.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Wonderful post @Jake24. Please post more. It's your day to shine and you're in the spotlight. Take it away good sir. It's nice how similar we got into Bond fandom. I thought GoldenEye was the very first Bond movie at the time. :))
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Thank you, @Murdock.

For some comic relief, I thought I'd share with you one of the funniest Bond-related videos I've seen on YouTube.

And a wonderful, fitting bit of editing from Gregory Bertrand:

Enjoy, and merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Excellent! :) Thanks, and please post more if you'd like.
    I appreciate everything you said and posted, @jake24 - and you did a splendid job on your Daniel Craig montage.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Thanks, I think I'll call it a day. I hope you guys enjoyed everything.
    Yes it is probably night for you! Thanks again.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Only 4:15 here ;). If something else comes to mind I'll be sure to post it.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    Only 4:15 here ;). If something else comes to mind I'll be sure to post it.
    I am 5 hours ahead I will post after 5am for 13th December

edited December 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Thanks to both of you. :-bd

This is such a great thread! Like the perfect tonic, antidote to all the crap going on in the world. And such a wonderful variety of things posted. I come here to feel cheered up again.
    These are great posts!
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 6,432
    December 13th BMT

First of all posting a few photographs of the Bond actors getting into the festive spirit...

TD_DM04.jpg

QnKGtkv.jpg

Seans Christmas outfit shrunk in the wash

article-0-16850CA9000005DC-821_636x288.jpg

Daniel Craig in Snowfall

AP691209069.jpg?wm=api&ver=0

makeup-artist-kimberly-tarver-touching-up-wig-of-santasuited-actor-picture-id50696071

the-world-is-not-enough-denise-richards.jpg

Pierce getting into Christmas

Next are a couple of Bond parodies I watched when young...

Russ Abbott as Basildon Bond

The Great Chris Barrie with Hale & Pace

One of my early Christmas memorys was of course the toy Bond Cars, the first I remember owning was the Lotus from TSWLM. My grandparents owned a toy shop when I was very young, so I was quite spoilt when it came to Matchbox and Corgi. Alas I have a habit of getting rid of collections I have owned over the years, my vain attempt to be minimalistic.

My Tablet keeps crashing going to have to post this now, @jake24 feel free to post anything extra.

Final word from Ernst...

Go for it, @fire_and_ice. The floor is yours.
  • James Bond is always a festive treat.
    After Christmas dinner, it's TV and collapse into a seat.
    Movie time on Christmas day.
    Escapism 007 style all the way.
    Spirits or beer, well you need festive cheer.

Bring on the girls and guns.
    Of course the odd cheeky puns.
    Not forgetting mind blowing action.
    Don't think there is any better distraction.

Merry Christmas to all...

• Some James Bond tribute shows from the UK from yesteryear...

25 years of James Bond

James Bond Story from 1999 which I had on VHS

Top Gear build there own submersible Lotus segment... Which is pretty awesome

Great stuff, @fire _and_ice! Thanks a lot.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    Great stuff, @fire _and_ice! Thanks a lot.

Cheers pal, a few of my first thoughts had been used though inevitable everyone will look on YouTube ;) just tried to find things I had watched over the years before digital.
    Great posts, fire_and_ice! Thanks. I especially enjoyed Basildon Bond and Chris Barrie- I had never seen those before. ;)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Free dates available.
    27th to 31st

Calendar days chosen by members:
    December 1st: @BondJasonBond006
    December 2nd: @ToTheRight
    December 3rd: @Thunderfinger
    December 4th: @4EverBonded
    December 5th: @PropertyOfALady
    December 6th: @TR007
    December 7th: @ggl007
    December 8th: @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    December 9th: @Major_Boothroyd
    December 10th: @Murdock
    December 11th: @4EverBonded
    December 12th: @jake24
    December 13th: @fire_and_ice
    December 14th: @Shark_0f_Largo
    December 15th: @Some_Kind_Of_Hero
    December 16th: @Major_Boothroyd
    December 17th: @ggl007
    December 18th: @Gustav_Graves
    December 19th: @Dragonpol
    December 20th: @PropertyOfALady
    December 21st: @Shark_0f_Largo
    December 22nd: @CraigMooreOHMSS
    December 23rd: @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    December 24th: @BondJasonBond006
    December 25th: @TR007
    December 26th: @BeatlesSansEarmuffs
    December 27th:
    December 28th:
    December 29th: @MajorDSmythe
    December 30th:
    New Year's Eve:
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited December 2016 Posts: 4,151
    James Bond Christmas Memories #1

Hello all. Now, this may not be as lengthy as some that have come before, but this is one of my special Bond Christmas memories, in fact it's my first Bond Christmas memory so I hope you all enjoy.

It was back in the winter of 1982 that I was first introduced to the world of James Bond, 007. In fact, it was Boxing Day of that year. I’ve known ever since that it seems to have been a running joke for many years that Christmas (or bank holidays) in the UK aren’t the same without a fix of, either a James Bond movie, or a Superman movie. All good either way for me but 007 will always be my first choice.

Anyway, Boxing Day 1982 is the day that I became a huge fan of all things Bond. It was quite by chance really, as my family and I were chilling out and, me being a 9 year old, wanted to see what was on the box. It was getting on for 6:30pm and an announcement came on stating that the next programme on ITV was to be the following James Bond movie:

Yes, Moonraker is the movie that had me hooked on 007. I saw the title of the movie, noticed that “Moon” was in the title so thought it was about all things spacey and set on the moon. Little did I know? Suffice to say it wasn’t all about that but I remember being mesmerised from the start; the opening scene with the plane and freefall etc. As a 9 year old, I just thought it was so cool. All the action, Jaws and his “big metal mouth” as I called it, the space battle, it was just amazing to a lad of that age. From this moment on, I wanted to be just like him, even in the cowboy get-up. I just thought that he was the best. I’d go and play out with my friends and when playing cops and robbers, I’d always be James Bond. Most of the kids I hung around with didn’t know who he was so they had no idea; and I’d strut about being all as cool as I could be. Great stuff.

As I’ve gotten older, it is a movie that I will always watch at Christmas, just because of that memory. I know it’s not a Christmas movie but it holds a special place in my heart because it’s the one that made me the fan that I am now. I also know that it’s not the greatest Bond movie there is but it’ll never be at the bottom of any ranking I put together. It’s a crazy Bond movie with some great action, my favourite Bond in Sir Rog and an awesome space battle. It’s Bond…….and more.

My favourite scene in the movie, however, is a rather sombre one, and this is the one that is in the clip below.

Ah, the beautiful Corrine, quite content with the one night stand she shared with Bond, helping him with vital information, only to reach her untimely demise soon after. A very dark scene for a Roger Moore 007 adventure, but one that always gives me a chill. It’s well played out by all, including the 2 dogs, the music is extremely chilling and it’s played out and filmed like it has come straight out of a Hammer Horror movie. Fantastic.

Another favourite scene of mine is the PTS. Despite the quite obvious stuntmen, this is quite a wonderful stunt to have pulled and makes for a brilliant and very exciting action sequence. Ok, so maybe it could be argued that it’s spoilt with Jaws, comically, falling into the circus tent and surviving (great targeting by the way), but I find it quite thrilling. A great start to a quite bonkers Bond movie.

Anyway, as I’ve said, this has special memories for me as it’s the first Bond movie I saw and this was at Christmas time. It will always hold that special place and it will always get a viewing during the festive season.

Finally a Merry Christmas to all but…………

Shark_0f_Largo will return (on the 21st) with a double dose of 007 Xmas memories.

Cheers

Actually, before I go, please find, below, the sketch which sees Mr Moore playing James Bond 9 years before he actually first appeared in Live and Let Die. I love this and I like to watch it now again. It’s good for a laugh and I find it very funny.

Next, and more on the Christmas theme, here is a picture of Roger Moore, partially, dressed as Santa enjoying a ride on a “reindeer”. I like this as it shows what a fun guy Mr Moore could no doubt be.

fa6ef391a82d0feaec22cd7e91137a0a.jpg

Below, is a trailer for a little known Christmas movie starring the wonderful Mr Moore, called A Princess For Christmas. It's not the best of movies but I've watched it a few time just because it features Moore.

Next, here is a video Roger Moore appearing on The Muppet Show and doing a duet with, unofficial Bond Girl, the lovely Miss Piggy.Enjoy A Slow Boat To China.

And finally, I love this, the Tesco Christmas ad from 2003 featuring, not surprisingly with this post, Sir Roger Moore. Please enjoy.

Merry Christmas to you all and, as mentioned above, I will be back with more of my Christmas Bond memories. If you’d like to read them that is.

Great post!
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Great post!

Thank you.

• Great posts, fire_and_ice! Thanks. I especially enjoyed Basildon Bond and Chris Barrie- I had never seen those before. ;)
    There are a few other Basildon Bond clips just as silly, very much 1980's and early 90's brittish humour. My pleasure ;)

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I think @Shark_0f_Largo, that Moonraker could perfectly be a Christmas movie. No trees or carols in it, but it´s a gift for children (and adults) and a perfect example of joy and happiness.

Great film and some of the best lines in the series... (A woman!...) =))
  • Great post @Shark_0f_Largo completely forgot about that Tesco advert.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    I think @Shark_0f_Largo, that Moonraker could perfectly be a Christmas movie. No trees or carols in it, but it´s a gift for children (and adults) and a perfect example of joy and happiness.

Great film and some of the best lines in the series... (A woman!...) =))

Haha, maybe you're right.
    Great post @Shark_0f_Largo completely forgot about that Tesco advert.

Thank you. Yeah, I loved that advert back when it was shown on TV. Still makes me laugh now.

Lovely post, @Shark_0f_Largo.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Lovely post, @Shark_0f_Largo.

Thank you kindly.
    Wonderful! I especially enjoyed the early James Bond parody with Roger. I had not seen that one (1964). Thanks for all of this. The festive spirit keeps rolling along. :)
    Thanks all. Glad it's been enjoyed. I have another post already prepared for my next date of the 21st with some more memories and a few more videos.
  • December 15th PST

Maybe it's because the new James Bond film always premiered in November, or maybe it's because of the old TBS holiday marathons during which I first saw so many of the original films in the series—whatever the case, this time of the year always brings to mind so many fond memories of Bond. If you care to join me, I'd like to go on a bit of a stroll down memory lane to a unique time in 007 history and in my life: the nineties.

Now technically my very first memory of anything 007-related had to do with a Bond from another decade, and may in fact have occurred at the far tail-end of the 80s, way back before I even knew what it was I was witnessing. I'd gotten up out of bed for some water, you see. It wasn't Christmas—not strictly—but what I stumbled upon was just as fascinating as catching Santa sweeping up his sooty footprints. My dad was watching television and there on the screen was a dashing man dressed all in black, bound by the wrists along with a gorgeous woman in a white dress and suspended over water in some sort of cave lair. They looked rather like this, only more distressed. Needless to say I dallied in finishing my water and getting back to bed. The name James Bond meant nothing to me at the time, but I would remember vividly those sharks shimmying to the beats of George Martin and the swinging heroics of one black-clad, bleeding-armed Roger Moore.

But as with @Murdock and any number of others here I'm sure, my real introduction to 007 came via GoldenEye N64 and a VHS rental of that now legendary video game's filmic inspiration. The two arrived in my life more or less simultaneously. It was the film that got me hooked, but the game allowed me to virtually step into the world of James Bond and live out that wonderful fantasy for myself. (And don't we occasionally still do the same in some small ways as adults when we switch lanes a bit daringly, dress to the nines as only Bond can, or pour on the charm with some lovely someone we've just met?)

At the onset of my new fandom, my dad gave me his copy of You Only Live Twice to read—imagine how confusing that must have been with GoldenEye as your only frame of reference for the world of 007!—and we rented Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice and Moonraker. The rest of the classics I blasted through in two of the most amazing weeks of my young life one December during TBS's "13 Days of 007," using my paper TV guide to ensure I wouldn't miss a single one.

The latter half of the 90s truly was an amazing time to be a kid discovering the world of James Bond. You had GoldenEye to experience and re-experience on VHS and N64, Tomorrow Never Dies hitting theaters, John Gardner paperbacks transitioning to Raymond Benson paperbacks on the shelves of your Barnes & Nobles and Borders, and Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery marvelously sending up the whole thing with caricatures of every major villain from the 60s, ample fagina, and sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads ill-tempered sea bass.

Then of course came the build-up to Bond 19, the final Bond of the millennium, with Denise Richards appearing on MTV's Total Request Live to promote and the beautiful new BMW Z8 put on full display.

Yup, those were good times.

Series momentum faltered after The World Is Not Enough with an unheard of—to me!—three-year gap until the next one, but for a time there the world of Bond past, present, and future was my tabasco-spattered, beachside-served oyster with accompanying champagne. The pace of future Bond may since have let up but my passion has never waned and that passion has inspired me in everything from learning how to bake a damned good quiche (thank you A View to a Kill!) to learning how to behave like a gentleman (thank you again A View to a Kill!).

In the spirit of remembering the 90s, here are some groovy tracks from that decade that sampled and covered classic James Bond scores to help carry you onward toward the weekend. The 90s music scene sure loved John Barry!

First up, Sneaker Pimps work Barry's "Golden Girl" into some slinky trip-hop.

Next, Robbie Williams stacks homages like they were poker chips in his "You Only Live Twice"-sampled, too-cool-for-school music video.

Now we have Grantby's dangerously chill tribute to "007 and Counting" and "007 Takes the Lektor" hypnotically paired with actual space-age footage of satellite launches and control room technicians.

And lastly, the crown jewel of David Arnold's late 90s "Shaken and Stirred" project: "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" with the Propellerheads.

And while neither a sample nor a cover, but rather the real deal, I feel compelled to share the quite cinematic music video for Garbage's "The World Is Not Enough" featuring Shirley Manson as a killer android ten years before her turn as the same in The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Here's MTV and The Big Breakfast to take us briefly behind the scenes with Manson, Arnold, and lyricist Don Black.

Again, as with @Murdock, I credit the James Bond films with triggering my lifelong fascination with film music. I believe Tomorrow Never Dies was the first score I ever owned, and to this day David Arnold is my favorite composer. I'm proud to own his signature on a couple of his scores—alas neither of them Bond, but one day! I also had the privilege to see David Arnold perform live in concert with Nicholas Dodd at the Royal Albert Hall in his first ever concert of his film works in 2014. It was an amazing experience. David Arnold is one very witty and charming individual and a true class act.

Below, Arnold shares about meeting John Barry in the 90s, self-financing his "Shaken and Stirred" project, getting started on Bond, kicking around ideas with Purvis and Wade in coffee shops, how and why he chooses his film projects, and his own favorite James Bond film, which also happens to be the first one he ever saw as a young lad...at a Christmas party (with jelly) of all places!

Finally, on the topic of music, I would love to pay forward the best Bond fan music tribute find I've seen all year, which was originally posted on this forum by @zebrafish.

And in the spirit of the season, please enjoy some Bond-themed ice skating from Kim Yuna! (Seriously though, watch this if you haven't seen it already.)

And if anyone is traveling for the holidays and finds themselves renting a car, please let this man go ahead of you in line. He may have more pressing needs than you.