"The things we do for frequent flyer mileage"...GoldenEye Appreciation and Discussion.

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The polar opposite view to me. A film I've seen so much I can quote the script in its entirety on command.
    +1, and I haven't even watched it all that much in comparison to other Bond films.

This is the 90's equivalent to TSWLM in my view. A home run using the formula as the base. It hasn't happened since. The last film made while Cubby was with us, so it's quite fitting.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @BAIN123, glad I'm not the only one. One of the only films I think I could recite the entire script to (or at least a solid 90% of it).

I was notorious for having a photographic memory when it came to film dialogue when I was younger (due to watching certain films repeatedly). As well as GE I still remember all the dialogue to the original Toy Story and The Lion King.

Born in the 80s, raised in the 90s.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    The polar opposite view to me. A film I've seen so much I can quote the script in its entirety on command.

I'm inclined to agree on certain aspects though. Namely some of the dodgy dialogue, Boris and The Experience of Love.

Personally, Brosnan's films have te easiest lines to remember. I can't recite entire scenes but I'll always remember what a character says in a specific point in the films.

"You can't win." Is one of the best lines, not spoken by Bond imho. (At least in the context of that scene.)
    Every time this film is discussed, I realize I perhaps have it too low in my rankings (although it is in the top 10). I may have to revisit this after my next viewing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    As I've said before, even if you don't like the film, you surely can't not appreciate scenes such as these:

That first scene has two great actors that elevate it, the second has a lot of atmosphere due to the set and the score. Too bad about the Bond, though.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's the best James Bond movie ever. I love everything about it. :D

Most amusing.
    "Whispering Statues" really adds to the uneasiness of that scene.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Thunderfinger, I love seeing any positive comment regarding GE from you.
    OK, here is more. GE has one of the best title songs and main title sequences pf the entire series.
    I'm liking this side of you. I'm in agreement, both are incredible, especially that title sequence. Love the musical segue into the chase sequence that immediately follows, with the revving of Bond's engine.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    OK, here is more. GE has one of the best title songs and main title sequences pf the entire series.
    I can't disagree with that.

One thing that's quite evident when looking at the clips above is that Brosnan is playing Bond. He may have been nervous, but that is James Bond in those clips. In my opinion, starting in TND he started to bring in too many Brosnan'isms. Only in DAD did I see him go back to being the character I know and love.

The Q scenes in TND & DAD come to mind to illustrate what I'm talking about. He's much more assured and authoritative in the DAD tube scene than he is in Hamburg at the Avis location. It's subtle, but bugs me. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between his Bond and Thomas Crown.
    Ouromov,006,Natalya,Onatopp,Mishkin and Zukovsky are great characters.

The scenes in the statue graveyard,on the Russian war train,and at Trevelyn's lair are brilliant set pieces imo,as is the 006 v 007 fight.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

It's grown on me. When I first saw it I actuality hated it, but now I enjoy it and find myself getting the song stuck in my head. Same story with AVTAK.
    All right, I have one more. GE has the best Bill Tanner in the form of Michael Kitchen
    All right, I have one more. GE has the best Bill Tanner in the form of Michael Kitchen

That is 100000000000000% correct..he could have been used even through the Craig era as well..totally wasted.
    Kitchen is my favorite version of Tanner, as well. It's not that I don't like Kinnear in the role, but he's 100% useless with the dialogue he's given, filling the audience in on A.) Stuff we already know or B.) Creating unnecessary inconsistencies through light-hearted dialogue with Bond.
    As far as Tanner goes, the Brosnan era completely destroys the Craig era.
    Easily...thats actually a good Bond trivia question because i cant think of many people who would disagree with that comment,Doctor T ....
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Agreed. I miss having a Tanner with actual personality...character...likability...a pulse.
    I honestly prefer the Brosnan era MP as well. No offense to Harris, but even though they wrote Samantha Bond's version as a feminazi, she's still more of a natural behind the desk type. Harris comes across as too much of an action girl for the role in my eyes. That might be why she's out in the field far too much.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Not a hard task though.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I honestly prefer the Brosnan era MP as well. No offense to Harris, but even though they wrote Samantha Bond's version as a feminazi, she's still more of a natural behind the desk type. Harris comes across as too much of an action girl for the role in my eyes. That might be why she's out in the field far too much.

Agreed.
    Ah, you know, I might actually agree with you. Samantha Bond was actually probably one of the better things about the Brosnan era.

I used to think Harris was not a very good actress but I saw her in Moonlight the other day and realised she's actually excellent. But her character in SF in particular was dire.
    @Getafix, that's how I feel about her: she hasn't come close to impressing me in the Bond films, but she absolutely shined in 'Moonlight.' Felt like an entirely different actress.
    Bond films do that to some actresses/actors...some can cope with being in one,some cant.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Getafix wrote: »
    Ah, you know, I might actually agree with you. Samantha Bond was actually probably one of the better things about the Brosnan era.

I used to think Harris was not a very good actress but I saw her in Moonlight the other day and realised she's actually excellent. But her character in SF in particular was dire.

That's no surprise. The material for both SF and SP are largely dire and Mendes is a subpar Bond director.

On another note, GE is criminally underrated. It has a sufficient rawness to it with a quintessential fun factor that Bond movies should have and has been missing for the last few Bond films.
    I confess I've never been entirely sold on Harris as MP. I've always liked Samantha Bond though, despite some of her corny lines and scenes. She and Brosnan seemed to work well together.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I confess I've never been entirely sold on Harris as MP. I've always liked Samantha Bond though, despite some of her corny lines and scenes. She and Brosnan seemed to work well together.

Same. The problem with Harris is that I don't find her particularly attractive, and therefore I'm not really sold on the whole moneypenny / Bond romance. Too bad Gemma Arton didn't become Momeypenny, she would have been perfect.
    Gemma ??? wowowowowowowowow yes !!!
    doubleoego wrote: »
    On another note, GE is criminally underrated.

Really? Not an impression I ever got here.