"The things we do for frequent flyer mileage"...GoldenEye Appreciation and Discussion.

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    On another note, GE is criminally underrated.
    I'm inclined to agree. Despite not being the biggest fan of Brosnan as Bond, I can't deny that this is an excellent film, which I can never tire of watching. It's just so much fun and as you say, has that essential "rawness" as well. A towering achievement imho.
    I think harris is actually a bit of a stunner but they've got her look and character wrong in the Bond films.
  • I'd rather watch Goldeneye than any of the Moore films, easy. The film has its...odd moments, but never the outright parody of the 70's and early 80's.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Gemma ??? wowowowowowowowow yes !!!

I <3 Gemma Arterton.

• RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    Goldeneye is what really got me into using my Air Miles card in the 90's. I have almost saved enought o leave the country.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,090
    Best Bond film since The Living Daylights.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Best Bond film. Hundreds and hundreds of viewings later, and it never gets old.
    Agreed. A stone cold classic.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

From a rewatchability standpoint, I agree. I can watch GoldenEye no matter what mood I'm in. It's the only Bond film that I can say that about, I think. Dr No is my favourite, but even that is slightly to dry for me when I'm tired sometimes.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 5,185

Agreed. It was my first Bond film and 20 years later is still my number one easily.

I have a weird obsession with it to be honest. More than with any other Bond movie. I want to visit all the locations from it one Day. This july i will be doing the bungee jump on the verzasca dam. Which will also Mark the 20th anniversary of me being a Bond fan...
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    I've always loved GE despite disliking Brosnan's Bond. Everything just works. The action scenes are all expertly crafted, the story is formulaic yet interesting, 006 is a brilliant villain, Xenia a great henchwoman, and the films moves along at a great pace.
    Having just rewatched the Statue Park scene again on YouTube, it's become even more obvious that Brosnan had a lack of good villains outside of GE.

Sean Bean's monologue about his parents surviving the British betrayal has weight and Bean plays the scene perfectly - you feel his simmering hatred. Ourumov was also perfectly casted. No other villains in Brosnan's era come close. Electra has some good moments but Renard makes up for that, being one of the most bland bad guys in the series.
    00Agent wrote: »

Agreed. It was my first Bond film and 20 years later is still my number one easily.

I have a weird obsession with it to be honest. More than with any other Bond movie. I want to visit all the locations from it one Day. This july i will be doing the bungee jump on the verzasca dam. Which will also Mark the 20th anniversary of me being a Bond fan...

Can't beat a celebration like that. As terrifying as it would be, I'd do the same if I ever had the opportunity. No way I could turn that down.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883

Can't beat a celebration like that. As terrifying as it would be, I'd do the same if I ever had the opportunity. No way I could turn that down.
    That sounds tremendous. I just came across this video on it. Looks like a lot of fun.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 5,185

Thats exactly my reasoning :)

Here is the Website if anyone should be interested. I only learned of this when someone posted it on this forum a couple years ago, so i hope i can do the same now for somebody else:

http://www.trekking.ch/de/bungy/007-bungy-jumping-verzasca-wie-james-bond
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Here is the Website if anyone should be interested. I only learned of this when someone posted it on this forum a couple years ago, so i hope i can do the same now for somebody else:

I ran across this recently and I'm kinda sorta considering it. A bungee jump is something I've been thinking about for years but never committed to. Add Bond and that might be the tipping point.
    Agent_99 wrote: »

I ran across this recently and I'm kinda sorta considering it. A bungee jump is something I've been thinking about for years but never committed to. Add Bond and that might be the tipping point.

It sure was for me.
    This might be the only bungee jump that i will ever do since it's the only one that interests me at all.
    But i simply can't pass up on this.
    I await your report with great interest, @00Agent! Good luck!
    I await your report with great interest, @00Agent! Good luck!

Sure thing! and thank you @Agent_99
    One thing GoldenEye's got going: I think Natalya might be the perfect Bond girl.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,090
    I thought it might have been a cool idea if instead of beating Xenia in the spa, Bond seduced her and she took him to the statue park willingly. Then later on when she sees Bond and Natalya together she gets jealous and tries to get revenge. Would've given Xenia a bit more of an arc and fleshed her out a bit more, and if she and Bond had bonked right in the middle of the film then there wouldn't have been a need for the beach and subsequent bedroom scene between Bond and Natalya.
    Milovy wrote: »
    One thing GoldenEye's got going: I think Natalya might be the perfect Bond girl.
    For me, she surely is.
    I thought it might have been a cool idea if instead of beating Xenia in the spa, Bond seduced her and she took him to the statue park willingly. Then later on when she sees Bond and Natalya together she gets jealous and tries to get revenge. Would've given Xenia a bit more of an arc and fleshed her out a bit more, and if she and Bond had bonked right in the middle of the film then there wouldn't have been a need for the beach and subsequent bedroom scene between Bond and Natalya.
    I think they wanted to keep Xenia as a well oiled one dimensional sex machine, so having her show feelings for anyone may not have worked. Sex was her weapon of choice.
    bondjames wrote: »
    For me, she surely is.
    I think they wanted to keep Xenia as a well oiled one dimensional sex machine, so having her show feelings for anyone may not have worked. Sex was her weapon of choice.

Maybe you're right. I never understood my Xenia's demise wasn't saved until after the day was saved, like the henchmen of old. Bond and Natalya could have been resting on that hillside when they hear the copter coming and assume its wade, but surprise!
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    For me, she surely is.

Maybe you're right. I never understood my Xenia's demise wasn't saved until after the day was saved, like the henchmen of old. Bond and Natalya could have been resting on that hillside when they hear the copter coming and assume its wade, but surprise!
    That's a great idea. I've always wondered if she was dead or just knocked out after being smashed into that tree. Maybe they had thoughts of bringing her back but it never came to pass.
    For me, she surely is.

There really isn't anything I'd change about the film, but damn, that would've been one cracking idea. Maybe have her alongside Bond, Natalya, and Trevelyan before the pen is detonated, and she's momentarily knocked out before arriving in a helicopter to fight Bond one last time at the very end.
    I would change the freefall into the aircraft in the PTS and the silly Marines ending with Wade ,oh and the end music,apart from that nothing.
    I would change the freefall into the aircraft in the PTS

Now, see, that's one of my favourite bits!

One viewer's cringe is another viewer's awesome.
    I would change the freefall into the aircraft in the PTS

Now, see, that's one of my favourite bits!

One viewer's cringe is another viewer's awesome.

Basically "good cheese" vs. "bad cheese".

I like the car chase AND the music.

There I said it.

I wouldn't call that seducing, but to each his own.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Gemma ??? wowowowowowowowow yes !!!

+1.