"The things we do for frequent flyer mileage"...GoldenEye Appreciation and Discussion.

Comments

Such a bad film on every level.

Bizarre that Brozza made such a good film soon afterwards. The Tailor of Panama is excellent and shows Brozza really could have done much better.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,087
    GE has some of the best cinematography, acting, action, score, sound design, directing, lighting, miniatures and costumes in the series. The script itself is somewhat mediocre, but still better than every Bond film since.
    Comedy Central comments this evening
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Getafix wrote: »
    Such a bad film on every level.

Bizarre that Brozza made such a good film soon afterwards. The Tailor of Panama is excellent and shows Brozza really could have done much better.

I'm pretty sure this is an appreciation thread.
    The title song isn't too bad.
    I like Tina Turners song and also the opening graphics of Russian symbols being destroyed etc.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    GE only just squeaks into my top 5 overall, but if I were grading purely on how much fun the films are to watch, it would probably be #1. There's virtually no lag; entertaining stuff happens constantly. (I even like the beach scene everyone seems to mock, as it's a brief, refreshing change of pace.)
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,087
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    GE only just squeaks into my top 5 overall, but if I were grading purely on how much fun the films are to watch, it would probably be #1. There's virtually no lag; entertaining stuff happens constantly. (I even like the beach scene everyone seems to mock, as it's a brief, refreshing change of pace.)

Very true. GE is full of treats. I do think they could have tightened it up by 5 minutes, though. The ejecting scene from the helicopter could have been cut, IMO.
    The helicopter ejection scene is arguably my favourite scene in the film !
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I don't watch either of them very much but CR would win out every time if forced to do so.

Campbell is a seriously overrated director around here.

Campbell is the second best director of the franchise.

Young and Hunt are superior.

Hunt did one great film but Campbell did two, ergo Campbell>Hunt.

Young, however, is arguably the best Bond director ever.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The helicopter ejection scene is arguably my favourite scene in the film !

Fair enough, there just didn't seem to be too much Bond about it for me.
    I'm pretty fond of it too. Besides the overall silliness of the stunt, I love Bond regaining consciousness to find a strange woman screaming at him.
    It was a good effect,with the quiet scene with Trevelyn and then suddenly,as you say,pure panic and noise.

Clever thinking.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    "Wake up! Mistaaa! Ahhh! Wake up!! Please. Wake up! Hurry. Hurry up! Come on! Pull yourself together or we're gonna die!! Do something! Get us out of here!!"

Love it despite the effect itself being a Die Hard 2 rip off..
    bondjames wrote: »
    "Wake up! Mistaaa! Ahhh! Wake up!! Please. Wake up! Hurry. Hurry up! Come on! Pull yourself together or we're gonna die!! Do something! Get us out of here!!"

Yeah, the one part of the film which felt a bit "action movie trope" for me. Lacked that Bond flavour.

Yeah, the one part of the film which felt a bit "action movie trope" for me. Lacked that Bond flavour.
    The interrogation sequence that follows is one of my absolute favourites though. The atmosphere and style is impressive even today. I love the interactions between all the characters as well (Bond, Natalya, Mishkin, Ouromov etc.). Tchéky Karyo as Mishkin is one of my favourites. I wish he had more air time.

The interrogation sequence that follows is one of my absolute favourites though. The atmosphere and style is impressive even today. I love the interactions between all the characters as well (Bond, Natalya, Mishkin, Ouromov etc.). Tchéky Karyo as Mishkin is one of my favourites. I wish he had more air time.

Totally agreed. I love the way that scene is edited and shot too. First in wides when Brosnan and Natalya are talking, than cutting between the characters close ups during the interrogation, then that fluid movement once the action kicks off. It helps add to the sense of escalation, and preps you for the action sequence that follows.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

+1 Great acting in this scene. "Put the gun DOWN, General!" Love this line.

Absolutely.

"Do you even know who the enemy is? Do you?! Defence Minister Dimitri Mishkin, murdered by British agent James Bond,himself shot while .......trying to escape. Guards!"

Love how Ouromov pieces together the obituary after the fact on the fly. Gottfried John is on fire in this scene.
    Getafix, afraid i have never got the love for TSWLM. Prefer all of Rogers other Bond films.
    Find Gilberts direction rather ordinary, Jurgen is a dull villain, hate Jaws, Bach is wooden, and it has one of the most tedious bomb diffusing scenes ever, and Hamlisch score is too jokey, that really annoying part with the van breaking down in the desert, why did Gilbert allow that? I agree he has done some good movies in his early career, but he became a very generic director later.
    YOLT has gone down in my rankings.Great at the start but becomes a chore to watch later, until picking up for the volcano attack finale.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Getafix, afraid i have never got the love for TSWLM. Prefer all of Rogers other Bond films.
    Find Gilberts direction rather ordinary, Jurgen is a dull villain, hate Jaws, Bach is wooden, and it has one of the most tedious bomb diffusing scenes ever, and Hamlisch score is too jokey, that really annoying part with the van breaking down in the desert, why did Gilbert allow that? I agree he has done some good movies in his early career, but he became a very generic director later.
    These are very hurtful comments to my eyes.
    Just never got this iconic status that it has!

Absolutely.

"Do you even know who the enemy is? Do you?! Defence Minister Dimitri Mishkin, murdered by British agent James Bond,himself shot while .......trying to escape. Guards!"

Love how Ouromov pieces together the obituary after the fact on the fly. Gottfried John is on fire in this scene.

He is one of the best things in the film,a fantastic performance,one of my all time favourites.
    And then they turn him into a hip flask swigging buffoon in the tank chase!
    And then they turn him into a hip flask swigging buffoon in the tank chase!

He was a hip flask swigging buffoon throughout the whole film.

Just never got this iconic status that it has!

Fair enough. Feel the same way about GE.

Give me Spy everytime!
    Well, I'm with you on GE! At least Spy has Roger and i can tolerate it for that. GE has no such saving grace! Oops better leave, this is an appreciation thread after all!!
    Yes, out, the pair of you! :P
    This thread has been hijacked by non believers!
    Heathens abound in my beautiful thread..begone demons begone !!