"The things we do for frequent flyer mileage"...GoldenEye Appreciation and Discussion.

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Just never got this iconic status that it has!

Bond films become iconic when their impact elevates them above being simply 'just another Bond film'. GE and TSWLM both did that. It doesn't mean everyone has, or does, like them - although I would say you're in a minority.

For example, GF will remain iconic, despite a large section of the fanbase (wrongly imo) negatively reappraising it. Iconic films will always appear 'overrated', that's the nature of popular cinema. It doesn't always have to add up, it simply captures a moment, or a feeling. That's something that stays with people more than the eloquence of the dialogue, or the intricacy of the plot.
    Good point. I suppose I have to recognise GE falls into that category even if I flat out dislike it and can't for the life of me understand what others see in it.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189
    GE is hands down my most-watched Bond film.

Spy is a great film but Bach is awful in it. Never liked her very much and neither did Roger.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Spy is a great film but Bach is awful in it. Never liked her very much and neither did Roger.

GE is likely my most-watched film ever. I'd be confident in guessing I've seen it roughly 500 times, if not more. I watched that movie on VHS endlessly as a kid.
    Shocking comments about Mrs Ringo Starr. She's brilliant
    Creasy47 wrote: »

GE is likely my most-watched film ever. I'd be confident in guessing I've seen it roughly 500 times, if not more. I watched that movie on VHS endlessly as a kid.

Me too. It's a good contender for my most watched FILM, let alone Bond film. I always have fun watching it.

I do reluctantly agree though that aspects of it haven't dated well. Still, Scorrupco, Gottfried John, Judi Dench, the fast-paced action, Mishkin, the statue park scene, most of the Serra score, the Tina Turner song and even at times Brosnan are all good.
    Getafix wrote: »
    She's bloody awful. I only re-watched the film last week. Can't really act to save her life. Every line she delivers sounds like she's spaced out.

"Just..a...moment...I would..like...to..bid...for...it...too"

She gets the odd moment here and there, but Moore carries her completely.

I wouldn't call her brilliant and probably even wouldn't call her likable, but she surely looks HOT!
    Make that extremely hot!!

I wouldn't call her brilliant and probably even wouldn't call her likable, but she surely looks HOT!

That I can agree with.

Though I'd still favor Natalya but then again I have a thing for Polish women. It's a bit of a shame actually that they never put Isabella in a more glamorous dress for some of the film.

Bach just seems to have one wide-eyed facial expression during most of Spy.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    GE only just squeaks into my top 5 overall, but if I were grading purely on how much fun the films are to watch, it would probably be #1. There's virtually no lag; entertaining stuff happens constantly. (I even like the beach scene everyone seems to mock, as it's a brief, refreshing change of pace.)

The music during the beach scene is great, but it is rather heavy-handed in terms of the dialogue:

"How can you ACT like this? How can you be so cold?"
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425

I think that was the point I Was looking for
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Bach as XXX is and has always been one of my faves. Much better than any of the other wannabe loser 'equals' except for Holly imho.
    I think she plays it just right. Distant Soviet operative focused on the mission. The competition between her and Rog is good fun - drives the movie.

It's almost like an old school Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant type thing.
    I think she plays it just right. Distant Soviet operative focused on the mission. The competition between her and Rog is good fun - drives the movie.

Agreed. I've never had a problem with her performance in the film. They are perfectly balanced.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Bach as XXX is and has always been one of my faves. Much better than any of the other wannabe loser 'equals' except for Holly imho.

I prefer Holly. True Chiles isn't the greatest of actresses but there's a bit more life to her performance.
    XXX is far and away the more memorable character.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    XXX is far and away the more memorable character.
    Always has been for me, although I understand @BAIN123's point about Goodhead being a bit more engaged (Holly was more of an action girl though, while Anya was more glamorous). They are both high points for me, in terms of 'Bond equals'. Never topped since in my view. A lot of that has to do with Roger Moore playing so well off both of them. The only time I've seen something so good since was in MI-RN and it brought a huge nostalgic smile to my face.
    I'm not a massive fan of either. In (Holly's case she feels like an American "soccer mom" acting tough for her kids), but I don't cringe as much with her as I have with Bach.
    I'm disappointed @BAIN123. Anyone who can't appreciate the icy cold charisma of XXX is missing one of Bondom's finest in my view.
    Naomi is streaks ahead of XXX in her one scene charisma-wise.

The thought never occurred to me, but now that you mention it. Very well put!
    I also happen to like their interacting a lot.
    If Moore wasn't there she'd be nothing.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    If Moore wasn't there she'd be nothing.
    Probably, but she'd still look great which is half the battle in a Bond film.

Moore was there though, and the two of them work very well together. He's the smoothie and she's the icy cold Russkie who needs warming up (shared warming up no less). He's happy to oblige and the film is so much better for it.

She played it monotone (and that may have been her limit) and it worked for this film as there was so much 'larger than life' stuff happening throughout. She was the 'straight man' if you will.

I'm glad that the Holly/Bond dynamic was a bit different in MR, but just as entertaining imho, if not quite as 'exotic' or 'sensual'.
    I'm not a massive fan of either. In (Holly's case she feels like an American "soccer mom" acting tough for her kids), but I don't cringe as much with her as I have with Bach.
    I'd like to be introduced to the soccer moms in your life, if possible.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    she's exactly like a soccer mom, maybe 5 years younger. Never seen it put that way before.
    Milovy wrote: »
    I'd like to be introduced to the soccer moms in your life, if possible.

I'm a Brit, but she just has that vibe to her imo. She doesn't seem like someone who is trained in combat.
    She's arguably a bit of a plain Jane, which is why I didn't like her when younger. Now, I really appreciate Chiles's character and the way she played her. She's sassy and sharp. Again, it's the Moore/Lois dynamic which is enthralling for me. Really good chemistry between them which elevates the proceedings.
    i do like some of the lines she has and, personally, I prefer her in terms of looks to Bach.
    I have grown to appreciate her looks as I've gotten older, although Bach is still preferable for me (Ringo did good). Chiles looks smart imho. It was good casting.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 19,339
    610x.jpg

Bugger,im derailing my own thread !!!