"The things we do for frequent flyer mileage"...GoldenEye Appreciation and Discussion.

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I much prefer Isabella's attitude of "I'd be in a Bond film if I just walked around in a bikini".
    What a girl! That's the spirit. Yet she has one of the best characters who rarely does that.

Finally found Barry Norman's review in 1995 @bondsum. Remember asking you about that sometime back.

Finally found Barry Norman's review in 1995 @bondsum. Remember asking you about that sometime back.

Will look to watch this a little later!

A "spectacular stunt"? Really?? And to hear that from a "movie critic" with supposed knowledge of cinema?

And they actually praise Pierce for being fit? You could hail the man for a lot of things (although I think he has done far better work outside Bond...), but that's just weird. It is like praising Connery for his English accent.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,425
    What's that Tom? Goldeneye got mixed reviews in the USA on release? Surely not! That's gonna have some people around here spluttering into their cornflakes.

has anyone seen Izabella Scorupco recently? she looks totally different to her look in GE and she's still hot.

• NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    edited June 2019 Posts: 544
    Looks like this is the right place to instert a product placement ;)

bit.do/goldeneyeworld

Anyway, to me it's my favourite film of all time. I just love it, it has an unique brilliance and heaviness, as Goldfinger would say. Even on a small TV during a cable broadcast (I missed it on theatres, wasn't a Bond fan in 1995), the impact was mind blowing enough to hook me into Bondmania forever.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

bit.do/goldeneyeworld

Anyway, to me it's my favourite film of all time. I just love it, it has an unique brilliance and heaviness, as Goldfinger would say. Even on a small TV during a cable broadcast (I missed it on theatres, wasn't a Bond fan in 1995), the impact was mind blowing enough to hook me into Bondmania forever.

With your dedication and passion you got yourself another customer @NS_writings :)

I don't really have a favorite movie of all time but GE would definitly be in serious consideration.
    It's my favorite film from my favorite movie franchise. I suppose that's something.
    00Agent wrote: »

bit.do/goldeneyeworld

With your dedication and passion you got yourself another customer @NS_writings :)

I don't really have a favorite movie of all time but GE would definitly be in serious consideration.
    It's my favorite film from my favorite movie franchise. I suppose that's something.

Thank you so very much! Hope you'll enjoy it :)
    And I'll be working on a book on Pierce's era soon.

bit.do/goldeneyeworld

That would be awesome! I would also be very interested in the games, and his involvement with them.

bit.do/goldeneyeworld

That would be awesome! I would also be very interested in the games, and his involvement with them.

They will be mentioned and analyzed story-wise, of course.
    6:10
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Great anecdotes by Alan Cumming!

HE IS INVINCIBLE!!!!!!!!11
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Great anecdotes by Alan Cumming!

HE IS INVINCIBLE!!!!!!!!11

Yes, I enjoyed listening to that too. Very interesting!
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185
    wow i never even noticed the guy got hit by the car for real:

8:55
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Alan Cumming interview is absolutely delicious! I loved it.

GE remains my favourite Bond film, despite some claiming it's vastly overrated. It was my Bond film, the first new release I was consciously aware of, the dawning of a new era, and no-one is going to take away my wonderful memories of 1995.

Was that Idris at 0:42 praising Brosnan?
    Great review. Really kind of miss that era now. Wish we'd get a new film that brings back classic cinematic Bond with a bang.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Great review. Really kind of miss that era now. Wish we'd get a new film that brings back classic cinematic Bond with a bang.

Yeah I think that's him. The voice matches too. Crazy coincidence.
    I cant see it on my work PC,I will have a look later at home.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Yeah I think that's him. The voice matches too. Crazy coincidence.

Yes, it does look and sound like Idris Elba. Well spotted! Quite a coincidence! :)
    I remember being a 12 year-old boy and watching GE and being a little uninspired by Izabella Scorupco. However, on reflection I was so wrong.

JBDb+Natalya.jpg

She's stunning in the film. Probably more the thinking man's crumpet, but there it was certainly an interesting choice to put her in dowdy cardigans. I suppose they wanted to move away from 'Bond girls' being overly glamorous and unnecessary.

Natalya-Simonova-GoldenEye.jpg

If anything more power to the director and costume designer for not over-dressing Natalia. After all, she's either work for most of the film and hiding out from the Russians. She's a very "real" character.

Natalia is supposed to be a little more unaware of her beauty.

Can't really remember her performance, I'll need to watch GE again.
    Natalya Simonova is one of my all-time favourite Bond girls. Top five, easily.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    She's absolutely great.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Izabella is my favorite Bond girl, and the fact that she's polish has a lot to do with that.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I love Natalya. For me, she's one of the very best Bond girls. She feels "real" in every sense of the word. Of this world rather than of some fantasy. My only regret is that after the train explosion, she submitted herself to Bond's charm very easily. Couldn't they have waited with a first kiss till the Cuban sunset scene? Would have made more sense in my opinion. Either way, Bond needs her, so bringing her along makes perfect sense. And she's committed, like any Russian raised in the old system would be.
    I agree with every word you said @DarthDimi

I think one of GE's strongest suits is the ensemble. It's filled with memorable characters. The introduction of Dench's M. Samantha's Moneypenny. Natalya. Xenia. Ourumov. Trevelyan. Boris. Wade. Zukovsky. Damn!

I think one of GE's strongest suits is the ensemble. It's filled with memorable characters. The introduction of Dench's M. Samantha's Moneypenny. Natalya. Xenia. Ourumov. Trevelyan. Boris. Wade. Zukovsky. Damn!

The film took a big big risk with those factors but banked on Brosnans bank ability and Campbell’s direction and it worked thank God !!

Don't forget Michael Kitchen as Bill Tanner!

source.gif
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 19,339

source.gif

The best Tanner and totally wasted,but not too late EON !!!!!! MICHAEL KITCHEN AS BILL TANNER !!

source.gif

Yes, and he's by far the best Bill Tanner too. He's the most recognisable as the character from the Fleming books. None of the rest of the Tanners have come anywhere close but of course a lot of that is down to how the character is written. It's a pity that Michael Kitchen only ever got to play Tanner twice. He's definitely one of the good things about the Brosnan Bond era!