"The things we do for frequent flyer mileage"...GoldenEye Appreciation and Discussion.

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @BondJasonBond006 I agree with you that both the Craig and Brosnan films have declined precipitously since their first efforts, and it's a pity.

I disagree on SF however. I think it was a much better executed and attempted detour from the traditional formula, correcting for the flaws in TWINE. The 2nd time's the charm as it were. If not for that, the Craig era has also declined with each successive film.

Additionally, I think Craig really held QoS together. I recall thinking he was one of the real bright spots in that film upon first watch, although I look upon it much more favourably these days - there's a lot to like, although it's nowhere near in the same league as CR.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,444
    The N64 Game helpt the movie too and game was so good because movie is.

I am happy atleast that Tina Turner is part of it like Tom Jones, Paul McCartney, Madonna, Adele. It is shame there never asking Frank Sinatra again after his sugestion for his daughter, and Michael Jackson. Mabey some people say Elvis.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I would've liked to have seen what Jackson could do with it.
  • I appreciate nearly everything about GoldenEye. That's why it's my favourite of them all. Yes, that's right... Difficult to say that on this forum though.
    The teaser trailer was awesome.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 616
    vzok wrote: »

I was not at all enamored with the teaser trailer. When Brosnan said "Were you expecting someone else?" I remember thinking, "Yes, I was expecting Timothy Dalton. Get out of my face." That line always seemed like a slam at Dalton, even if it was unintentional.

In recent years I've put my bitterness about Dalton's departure aside and really tried to give GE a fair shake, but the movie seems so mediocre and "safe" coming after LTK.

This is an appreciation thread, so I'll mention a few positives. I really like both Campbell's direction (particularly in the explosive fight scenes) and Eric Serra's charmingly off-the-wall score.

edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I was not at all enamored with the teaser trailer. When Brosnan said "Were you expecting someone else?" I remember thinking, "Yes, I was expecting Timothy Dalton. Get out of my face."
    That's funny. Someone should have made a parody video of that (these days, they probably would).

I loved the trailer btw, but I can see how Dalton fans would have been quite offended as there really wasn't any other truly viable choice for Bond at that time apart from Dalton. So indirectly it was a slam.

I was not at all enamored with the teaser trailer. When Brosnan said "Were you expecting someone else?" I remember thinking, "Yes, I was expecting Timothy Dalton. Get out of my face." That line always seemed like a slam at Dalton, even if it was unintentional.

In recent years I've put my bitterness about Dalton's departure aside and really tried to give GE a fair shake, but the movie seems so mediocre and "safe" coming after LTK.

This is an appreciation thread, so I'll mention a few positives. I really like both Campbell's direction (particularly in the explosive fight scenes) and Eric Serra's charmingly off-the-wall score.

It can't be often that someone clutching at straws to give GE a compliment comes up with Eric Serra as the answer.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 616

It can't be often that someone clutching at straws to give GE a compliment comes up with Eric Serra as the answer.

Serra's music is one of the few things in the movie that is both interesting and unusual. It's a hugely underrated score.

Serra's music is one of the few things in the movie that is both interesting and unusual. It's a hugely underrated score.
    I agree. I've always loved that score, and prefer it to anything Arnold did during the Brosnan years. It fits the film like a glove and is quite memorable. The only thing incredibly offensive about it to my ears was his unfortunate attempt at singing at the end.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I hate all the love song endings from 1987-1995. Why was that even a trend?
    The Experience of Love is definitely the worst of the trio. So bland and dated.
    I hated that when I first heard it,and I still do today..as soon as Wade appears at the end I turn the film off.
    bondjames wrote: »

I agree. I've always loved that score, and prefer it to anything Arnold did during the Brosnan years. It fits the film like a glove and is quite memorable. The only thing incredibly offensive about it to my ears was his unfortunate attempt at singing at the end.

There's a lot in Serra's score I like. The Gunbarrel for instance, I'll take over Arnold's TND, TWINE and Newman's SF and SP attempts ANY day!!!!!! Probably because Serra was using the traditional GB cues for this film albeit it in an unusual arrangement.
    The song at the is an odd choice and fairly inappropriate, however it doesn't exactly piss me off that it's there. In fact, GE as far as I'm concerned gets a free pass for it's faults, where I would completely drop Skyfall down several notches just for putting the GB at the end. That pretty much goes for all those types of decisions in the Craig era.
    GE embraced the things fans love about James Bond movies, and after that long wait delivered.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    GE embraced the things fans love about James Bond movies, and after that long wait delivered.
    Absolutely! I couldn't have put it better myself.
    I love that clip of Brosnan playing the old GE game....makes you miss him,always a good sport !
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I love that clip of Brosnan playing the old GE game....makes you miss him,always a good sport !

For people who spent many hours playing that game as teenagers, this is gold. It's like Sean Connery playing with the toy DB5.

BAIN123 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »

For people who spent many hours playing that game as teenagers, this is gold. It's like Sean Connery playing with the toy DB5.

That clip was great!!! Makes me miss Pierce, too. He was always great on the talk shows. I had many VHS tapes marked for Bond stuff whenever a new film would come out and record all the Brosnan interviews. Classic!!!!!!!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I hate all the love song endings from 1987-1995. Why was that even a trend?

To be honest, I love all three of them. Could be for nostalgic reasons.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Experience of Love is a delight.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I love all the end title songs. The reprises are especially great.
    Moonraker, The Man With The Golden Gun etc.

The GoldenEye score is unique and original. I will always choose it over those boring Newman scores.
    The GoldenEye Overture is one of the very best tracks in the series.
    The score is instantly recognisable and you couldn't imagine any other thing on GoldenEye.
    The GoldenEye Overture is one of the very best tracks in the series.
    The score is instantly recognisable and you couldn't imagine any other thing on GoldenEye.
    I agree.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Don't forget that lovely Tank Chase music. 8->
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The Tank Chase still is the greatest sequence in the whole series. Brosnan is bloody perfect for this kind of film. He is awesome in chase scenes. Just watch the TWINE PTS chase or the plane chase in TND, the helicopter/bike chase, the car on ice chase...and so many more.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    The Experience of Love is a delight.

It is!

It is quite underrated. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to, but some very good cues there.
    Parts of the Serra score I really like too.

However, Experience of Love has certainly aged poorly. The melody is quite nice but it's ruined by Serra's singing. Now it just feels like a cheap 90s soap-opera standard song.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GE has one of the best main title sequences and one of the best theme songs in all of Bond.
    It's just such a darn cool film from start to finish. Silky smooth like only Bond at his best can be. That was something I really enjoyed seeing again. It had disappeared for a while sadly imho.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames the first time a 'PTS-like sequence' which truly wowed me in the fun departement since GE was the Moscow prison escape in 'Ghost Protocol'. Mind you, the PTS of CR and QOS are brilliant and very brutal/intense, but that sequence from 'GP' just threw me back to GE, TND, OP, TSWLM style openings.
    I totally agree @DaltonCraig007. I firmly believe that Cruise has, with his last two MI efforts, taken over that space which was occupied for so long by the Bond franchise over many decades.

In addition to the opening jailbreak in MI-GP, the final confrontation in the rotating parking garage has iconic Bond cool written all over it.

He's finally found the sweet spot for Hunt, and that's why I'm more excited at present for the next MI effort than I am for the next Bond, bar a massive shakeup in the latter.