MI6 Community Bondathon

Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
edited October 2016 in Trivia & Games Posts: 40,368
Welcome, everyone! To avoid confusion, please read the opening post before posting and participating.

It's time to kick off our very first site-wide Bondathon, courtesy of @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 finally kicking my ass into gear and bringing this up to me again. The goal here is to watch and discuss one Bond movie a week; thus, we're looking at a six-month adventure, which should hopefully help us more easily pass into 2017 as we await some new 'Bond 25' information.

The first (and most important) aim in this: to have fun. I think this can be enjoyable for everyone, but I have no intentions of taking this off-course with spam or negativity - if you don't like a particular aspect of a film, or a film in its entirety, then feel free to make it known, but this place has grown hostile at times over the tamest of discussions and opinions, and I have no interest in letting the same thing happen here. If you plan on disrespecting the opinions of others, acting childish, being overly negative the entire time, or running this Bondathon off-topic, then I'll ask that you don't participate. I want this to be fun, plain and simple, not another way for us to go about attacking one another.

This is the outline I have planned for this. I'll use the first movie, DN, to avoid confusion:

1.) Friday - Saturday: Watch DN, and discuss your overall opinion of the movie. I'm making this last two days since it's understandable that every single person that participates isn't going to be free every Friday.
2.) Sunday: Bond ranking. Haven't made one yet, or haven't refreshed yours in a while? Now would be the perfect time. Of course, everyone's ranking will include DN as the first movie, so feel free to discuss where it falls amongst all the others for you, or go into detail on where it has ranked for you before, where you think it'll fall amongst the others this time, etc.
3.) Monday - Wednesday: I'm still working this one out exactly, but for each day, we'll go in-depth with every facet and aspect of the films: from the opening gunbarrel to the closing credits, we'll talk about Bond and his performance, the girls, guns, gadgets, clothes, locales, villain, henchmen, plot plausibility, etc.
4.) Thursday: This marks the last day of the first film, and from here we can go over our closing, final thoughts on the film as a whole, and for anyone who has yet to make one (i.e. most of us) and would like to, I think it'd be great to see us all do a review of our own in the appropriate reviews thread. If you plan on doing this, though, be sure to discuss one another's review here, as the review threads are solely for reviews and nothing more. Finally, the weekend will be upon us and we can start the next film.

Of course, this is all flexible. If you can't watch a movie until Sunday-Monday or you miss a deadline for something, don't fret. I want this to be fun, and this is only a general outline that I'm going off of, so the topic doesn't get stale a couple of days in because we've already discussed everything to death. I think breaking it up this way will keep things fresh until we move on to the next movie. However, I do ask that you don't move ahead of the plan, i.e. don't write and discuss your review days in advance, don't move on to the next film until the weekend hits, etc.

If this is too "planned" and detail-oriented for you, then please feel free to jump in and out anytime you'd like to. As long as we have a fair amount of people constantly participating, I think this will be a blast.

Once again, have fun, everyone! I'll edit the Monday-Wednesday timetable once I've hashed out the exact details, and this thing should kick off starting this Friday.

MI6Community Bondathon Progress:
Week One: 'Dr. No' - Friday, October 14th - Thursday, October 20th.

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Count me in. This should be great fun.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Count me in as well!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,417
    Grand! I was planning on doing a Bondathon - it's my habit come October - and this seems like a great way to go about. Perhaps, doing this way I can discover something new and fresh and different about the Bonds, all sharing it with my "Bond family".

'ere @Birdleson you in?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Glad to join. @barryt007 @PropertyOfALady @Murdock
    move your asses over here, it's starting :))
  • Been taking a hiatus from the films for awhile myself—I like to take rather long breaks with them nowadays to keep them that much fresher and more exciting each time I do pull them out—but this sounds like great fun. I will definitely follow everyone's comments.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yeah, not feelin' it myself. Have fun guys! :-bd
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I've still got to finish my 2016 Bondathon, No way I can start another. :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »

Drop that Bondathon and start fresh! This is the only time we've attempted a site-wide Bondathon, it'd be a shame for you to miss out. More Bond is NEVER a bad thing.

Creasy47 wrote: »

Drop that Bondathon and start fresh! This is the only time we've attempted a site-wide Bondathon, it'd be a shame for you to miss out. More Bond is NEVER a bad thing.

No but, I have so much on my plate already. But I will try. I just can't guarantee.

No but, I have so much on my plate already. But I will try. I just can't guarantee.

Only kidding around, no worries at all.

Only kidding around, no worries at all.

Thanks buddy. :))
    We can always rely on you, old buddy
    This will be so much fun I can't wait for it to start.
    I have never watched as many Bond films as during the last 12 months. Lately I think Bond finally got to No 1, probably thanks to Spectre.
    Sorry Batsy, I still love you dearly.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I look forward to going on this journey with those who have joined this Bondathon and those who will. @Creasy47 and I will flesh out some last details, then this thing will kick off where it all began this weekend, with Dr. No.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Would dearly love to join in with you all however time is a bit on the short side just now so enjoy yourselves .
    This is pretty much ideal for me considering I've just finished a Bondathon that's been ongoing since June, so it's been a long time since I've seen DR. NO, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE etc. Coupled with the fact that I finally caved in and bought a laptop, I'm now no longer constrained to a phone or iPad so I'll be able to be more comprehensive in my reviews of the films.
  • I'm ashamed to say I haven't even watched a Bond movie this YEAR yet!
    This'll be a great opportunity for me!
    Whether anyone cares what I think, we'll have to see ;)
  • I'm there. Or here. Or wherever. In Jamaica, yeah, that's the ticket. Wherever, I'm onboard.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Bad timing for me. I'm right in the middle of a Bondathon at the moment.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Go on then, I'll join in this. May not be the most active participant etc but I'll certainly give it a go.
    With TMWTGG and LTK down I only have 4 films left in my Bondathon: FRWL and GF, FYEO and TWINE.

So I will "skip" the Connery ones and view them within this MI6Community Bondathon :D
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    The first (and most important) aim in this: to have fun. I think this can be enjoyable for everyone, but I have no intentions of taking this off-course with spam or negativity - if you don't like a particular aspect of a film, or a film in its entirety, then feel free to make it known, but this place has grown hostile at times over the tamest of discussions and opinions, and I have no interest in letting the same thing happen here. If you plan on disrespecting the opinions of others, acting childish, being overly negative the entire time, or running this Bondathon off-topic, then I'll ask that you don't participate. I want this to be fun, plain and simple, not another way for us to go about attacking one another.

I think I can add that we can (and will) remove all and any unnecessary comments from this thread on an on-going basis, to keep it tidy and on-topic Creasy ;) .

Looking forward to this.
    @NicNac, indeed! I'll gladly delete any derailing comments or ask anyone participating to depart the thread if they do not wish to participate in a welcoming, fun manner.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2016 Posts: 28,694
    All right, folks.

This message is aimed at all the members we've got participating in this Bondathon thus far, who are:

Myself, @Creasy47, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, @Birdleson @BondJasonBond006, @DaltonCraig007, @Master_Dahark, @MayDayDiVicenzo, @Murdock (possibly), @NicNac, @pachazo, @royale65, @Shark_0f_Largo, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, @DarthDimi, @Gustav_Graves, @barryt007 (?) and @chrisisall (?)

@Creasy47 and I have been talking about how to structure this Bondathon, and here's what we've settled on as a template and schedule for this process.

Friday & Saturday:

On either Friday or Saturday each week, all members will watch the Bond film of that week on one of these two days, then share an instant "gut" reaction to it here. These can be quick posts, of just a few lines that give us some idea of how the film has presented itself to you. This will whet our appetites for the next set of days, where each film will be discussed in great detail.

Sunday:

In preparation for the Monday to Wednesday discussions, on Sunday all members will reflect on the film in question, and rank it amongst all the other Bond movies you've watched thus far. So, if we've watched DN and FRWL and we're now on to GF, we would rank GF in relation to how it stacks up against those previous two films and list it accordingly.

Our individual Bond rankings for the Bondathon will always be changing as we go along, and it'll be a steady indicator of how we feel about each film just after we've seen it. Once all 24 films are watched, the Bondathon ranking we all have listed from 1 to 24 can be compared to the original ranking we submitted before the Bondathon began, to compare how our perception of particular films have lessened or improved over the 6 month period and our "re-discovery" of them.

Monday:

Mondays will be a day to focus on the characters and performances in each Bond film, and on that day we will discuss-

Bond and actor performance
    Bond girl/s and performance
    Bond henchman and performance
    Bond villain/s and performance
    Supporting cast performances (M, Moneypenny, Q, allies, minor characters, etc)

Tuesday:

Tuesday will see us focusing on all the classic Bond elements we expect to see in these films, and we'll examine how well each particular film stacks up in each of these areas-

Gun barrel sequence
    PTS
    Locations
    Gadgets
    Action
    Humor
    Plot plausibility
    Villain's scheme

Wednesday:

Finally, the last day of discussions on Wednesday will see us focusing on the elements of production in each Bond film that we would be rating for any film we watch. Think of these as the general filmmaking categories, creative items or elements that aren't exclusive to Bond films, but that are present in all films we watch and that are worthy of examination here, like-

Direction
    Opening title design
    Script
    Cinematography
    Music
    Editing
    Costume Design
    Sets

Thursday:

Finally, on Thursday all members who wish to will post their final review of each Bond film, giving their overall impressions of it in any structure or length they desire, and once we've done that, we'll spend the rest of the time examining how we now view the film in question after revisiting it. Do we dislike it more than ever? Have we found a new respect for it? Are we neutral on it? These are the questions we'll pose to each other and try our best to answer.

After that point, Friday and Saturday will arrive again, and the process will continue with the next Bond film until Spectre is reached and the Bondathon comes to a close.

So, what @Creasy and I are asking of you lovely folks, is this:

Do you think this schedule works, and that each day's categories work well with each other? Are there any categories you feel are missing from any one day's topics of discussion?

If so, let us know, and we'll consider each suggestion. Now is the time to give us any and all feedback you many have before things kick off in earnest this Friday with Dr. No. This is a game designed for the fun of us all, and anything either of us can do to make this event more exciting and worthwhile for you all is top priority.

I'll be back later on to make another post regarding our pre-Bondathon rankings of the films, but until then, share your reactions to what we've shared.
    As I have no life outside this forum I find the schedule fabulous :D

Joking naturally. About having no life I mean ;)

So we start this Weekend?
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Looks good to me. As above, some days easier than others depending on what I have but I think this will be a great exercise.
    @BondJasonBond006, we'll start Friday. Like I've said, I know it looks like a lot and that it may require a ton of free time, but I'm aiming for this to be as relaxed and fun as possible - you miss a particular film one week or have a couple of days you can't participate? That's totally fine. I want people to join in, drop out, or lurk at their own leisure.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'm all in for this. This will make the wait until such films as 'John Wick 2' and 'Fast 8' go faster!
    All sounds good to me. Looking forward to it.
    Grand. I'll be interesting to do it with the members of this fine community.