The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'll own it Nov. 17 I guess...
    The U.N.C.L.E. TV series returns to broadcast TV in Japan the day the new film opens. How cool is that! Courtesy of the The U.N.C.L.E. Inner Circle FB page.
    delfloria wrote: »
    The U.N.C.L.E. TV series returns to broadcast TV in Japan the day the new film opens. How cool is that! Courtesy of the The U.N.C.L.E. Inner Circle FB page.

This is done so lovely :-D. With a true heart for the franchise...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Lookin'effinly cool. Only problem, I don't have a TV. Oh, and I don't live in Japan, I'm afraid... ;-)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,460
    Cover of Dutch DVD and BD release of movie. Release date: 9 December 2015

9200000048068078_1.jpg9200000048068093_1.jpg
    I do prefer the yellow cover. More legs!!
    Can't wait for release. I intend to give the film several attentive viewings!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @M_Balje since when do we get the French version in The Netherlands? Indeed, agree wit @Timmer. Legs are good.
    U.N.C.L.E. has returned to Japan! http://www.eigeki.com/special/napoleon
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Saw it for the first and only time today. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but it doesn't even reach the status of "good" to me, either. Not a fan of Cavill (he lacks charisma and a certain oomph to me, very happy that he wasn't chosen to play Bond over Craig), could've done without some of the CG or filming choices that marred what may have been very good scenes, and a lot of what I saw seemed to be filler that the movie could've done without. It's not surprising, though, as I really wasn't interested in the movie from the get-go, but at least now I know. Was hoping for it to surprise me like 'Kingsman' did, but alas, that's not how it panned out.
    Just a reminder that the U.N.C.L.E. soundtrack is out on vinyl. http://modern-vinyl.com/2015/09/15/the-man-from-u-n-c-l-e-score-coming-to-vinyl/
    Just putting things in perspective: The car chase in Rome for "SPECTRE" cost almost as much as the entire budget of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.". ($60m vs. $75m)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    That's an amazing fact. :)
  • delfloria wrote: »
    Just putting things in perspective: The car chase in Rome for "SPECTRE" cost almost as much as the entire budget of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.". ($60m vs. $75m)

Well, the car chase (mostly) and the other few Rome scenes but still an amazing statistic. I gather the "boardroom" scene was actually filmed in the U.K.

The softer side of Illya.
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E. DVD BLU-RAY combo was released today!
    Buy or rent?
    Buy or rent?
    Hmmm....
    I'd definately go for buy. It's a fun flick, and one of those 'I need to lighten up, I'll go and watch a film' one's that helps you enjoy the day. imo, of course.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Anyone catch what I think is an Uncle homage.of sorts in SP.
    Bond shoots at Blofeld, who is saved by the bullet proof glass between them.
    Reminds of the Uncle first episode where Solo is shielded by a sheet of bullet proof glass.
    Both Solo and Blofeld briefly strike a pose behind the glass after the shots are fired, while the bullet marks are clearly displayed.

Might be. I thought it a nod tot TWINE
    timmer wrote: »
    Reminds of the Uncle first episode where Solo is shielded by a sheet of bullet proof glass.
    Both Solo and Blofeld briefly strike a pose behind the glass after the shots are fired, while the bullet marks are clearly displayed.

Coincidence or homage, U.N.C.L.E. was there first.

Coincidence or homage, U.N.C.L.E. was there first.
    I think it's homage. I thought Uncle right away when I saw it.
    So that's King of Knaves Affair, Season 1, episode 13, that you linked.
    Isn't there a similar scene at beginning of Ep1 too?
    Not sure.
    Mendes I think has been very liberal in his homages in SP.
    Even the final scene of SP, as someone else has already mentioned, reminds of Steed and Peal driving off in The Avengers.
    He's homaging beyond OO7, into the broader Bond inspired classic '60s spyfy genre.
    Yes, in ep. 1 but I didn't have the footage available.
    Ahh. If you don't mind refreshing my memory, how did that classic Ep 1 scenario find its way into Ep 13 too?
    Is it part of the opening titles.perchance?
    Been a while since I watched Season 1.
  • 91-HcPsGx%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Awwwww I'm jealous! No steel book in the US ~X(

I wonder if I bought it anyway, would it work?
    .....or be in English, lol
    edited November 2015 Posts: 8,029
    Ahh. If you don't mind refreshing my memory, how did that classic Ep 1 scenario find its way into Ep 13 too?

As a matter of fact I found it on the internet last week and watched it completely. It's part of the opening titles. It's an all out attack on the premesis by THRUSH. They brake through the defenses and one man ends up shooting at Solo behind the glass wall. Solo then moves sideways and finally kills him.

it isn't on Youtube afak, but with google you'll be able to find it on another video platform.
  • I'm actually starting to think that some of the actors in "UNCLE", not to mention the score composer, will be hot sought items now for EON Productions. Elizabeth Debicki and especially Alicia Vikander could be perfect Bond girls. And Sylvester Groth could be a great villain. And all of these actors for half the price as compared to the cast of "SPECTRE" :-).
    Before there was a tailor shop and secret worldwide organization in "Kingsman" there was this..........................................
    I like how accurately Leo G. Carroll pulls off Hugh Grant´s sheepish complexion ;-).
  • timmer wrote: »

Robert Vaughn filmed a new version just for the titles. However, the shot of the bullets striking the bullet proof glass is the actual shot from the pilot. So it happens like this:

1. Shadow of attacker in UNCLE corridor (new footage, shot after the pilot)
    2. Solo standing behind bullet proof glass (new footage)
    3. Shadow of attacker's gun firing (new footage)
    4. Shots strike bullet proof glass while Solo stands there (taken from pilot)
    5. Shadow of attacker again (new)
    6. Camera zooms in on Solo standing behind bullet proof glass with cracks in it (new).

If you look carefully, the part in RV's hair changes when you see No. 4.