The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

Well it definately is original..
    In the context I find it deeply emotional, which however doesn´t disturb the laugh when the truck jumps onto the boat.
    Great scene!

GREAT REVIEW! Don't miss this. Nice to see U.N.C.L.E. continuing to be introduced and embraced by fans who have never heard of it before! Because of the comic this fan sought out the series and joined the ranks. Oh yeah, today it hit the stands. http://batman-news.com/2015/12/23/batman-66-meets-the-man-from-u-n-c-l-e-1-review/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah, I'm collecting the Batman '66 comic and indeed, @delfloria, I wouldn't want to miss this cross-over. Pre-ordered. :-)
    What are these Batman 66 comics. The characters look just like the TV series from the same time.
    The illustrations are really close to the TV series.
    The Uncle agents btw were in similar situation in the TV series , ie tied down with a big blade swinging over them
    Beginning of S2 I think. Solo if I recall managed a very daring and risky escape.

==I ordered my Uncle blu-ray from Amazon today.
    Got a good price from one of the affiliates.
  • timmer wrote: »
    What are these Batman 66 comics. The characters look just like the TV series from the same time.
    The illustrations are really close to the TV series.
    The Uncle agents btw were in similar situation in the TV series , ie tied down with a big blade swinging over them
    Beginning of S2 I think. Solo if I recall managed a very daring and risky escape.

==I ordered my Uncle blu-ray from Amazon today.
    Got a good price from one of the affiliates.

Batman '66 comics are, indeed, based on the presentation of the 1966 TV show. DC has come out with similar comics, such as a Wonder Woman 1977 and Superman 1950s, to match up with specific TV show interpretations.

Thank you @waverly
    Good to know! This Batman Uncle crossover looks worth picking up.
    I think after I burn thru the Uncle blu-ray it might be time for another run thru the complete TV series Dvd set again.
    Time to re-open Channel D !

Be sure to check out this absolutely wonderful interview with Leigh Chapman, Napoleon's Secretary. Excerpt: "He’s not the first one I worked for, he was the second one. Peter quit the law job and I think he was writing some Man From U.N.C.L.E.s, and he and Vaughn became friends. And Peter and I remained friends. I remember it was Peter who told me Robert tried very hard to keep me on the show, but, you know, what do you do? And I thought, well, that’s very nice. So at some point after that, I was around Vaughn and he asked me out. His face has such a stern persona. Off camera, he was very funny. Peter used to call him Porky Pig, which delighted him". https://classictvhistory.wordpress.com/2015/11/17/lotsa-teeth-an-interview-with-leigh-chapman/#comment-9846
    QUOTE: The Man From U.N.C.L.E is never going to win every award, but it’s impossible to watch this movie without a huge smile on your face. As far as 2015 entertainment, you can’t do any better.

Every aspect of the film is electric. From the lavish costumes to the gorgeous cinematography, it’s clear that in The Man From U.N.C.L.E, style is not separate from substance. The soundtrack makes you feel as if you’re about to head off on your own spy adventure, and the cast simply oozes talent and charm (and sexual tension). Every ingredient is carefully integrated together to create a product that is so much more than its very glamorous parts. There’s something special about this film that just makes it, well, cool.

This culturally adored, critically ignored showstopper is non-stop excitement. It isn’t intended to make you cry, or even think especially hard, but it will make you laugh, and smile, and cheer — and if you’re me, it’ll make you see it twice more. It does exactly what it says on the box, but it does it better and with more flair. The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is easily the most enjoyable film of the year, and it doubles as a ‘60s Pintrest inspiration board. What more could you ask for? http://www.hypable.com/best-movies-2015-star-wars-inside-out-fury-road/
    U.N.C.L.E. continues to go out with a bang this year as Collider also lists it among the 10 best action films of 2015. (courtesy of The UNCLE Inner Circle FB group) http://collider.com/best-action-movies-of-2015/#furious-7
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Cool it deos get so much appraisal. Pity the general moviegoing public missed out on it. I think this one will end a cult classic.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree, it will grow in praise as it gets shown on TV etc.
    U.N.C.L.E. makes the list! http://thefilmstage.com/features/listen-to-the-best-scores-and-soundtracks-of-2015/ (courtesy of the www.theunclefiles.com)
    I think the UNCLE score is pretty good, @delfloria! It's got that 60s spy playfulness with some impressive percussion at times.
    Loved UNCLE they definitely gave it a flavor of their own instead of going head to head with any other franchise, I do hope we'll get a second installment.
    Agreed with @SaintMark, and preferably with the same cast. Those folks were good, including Grant in his five minutes of screen time. ;-)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I loved H Grant in it, and I wouldn't have been a big fan of his. Reading the
    end titles, his character has had an interesting life. :)
    That's what I like about the characters: they're all misfits in some ways. :)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Cavill is very suave in it. He's a great Solo.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    For me it's Alicia Vikander who steals the show. And not only the show....
    Having just re-watched the film, I sincerely hope there will be a sequel. I'd love to see this team take on another mission. :D
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,622
    delfloria wrote: »
    U.N.C.L.E. continues to go out with a bang this year as Collider also lists it among the 10 best action films of 2015. (courtesy of The UNCLE Inner Circle FB group) http://collider.com/best-action-movies-of-2015/#furious-7

What's odd about this list of top 10 is that Spectre didn't crack it. I'd think maybe it was released too late, but that's not the case as Force Awakens did make it.
    Uncle making #8 is quite respectable but I do think Spectre had stronger action scenes.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    timmer wrote: »

What's odd about this list of top 10 is that Spectre didn't crack it. I'd think maybe it was released too late, but that's not the case as Force Awakens did make it.
    Uncle making #8 is quite respectable but I do think Spectre had stronger action scenes.

SPECTRE didn't crack it because it's a poseur elitist list. ;)
    I liked SPECTRE but it's action sequences were a bit more generic in style than U.N.C.L.E's.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,622
    I'll have to watch Uncle a few more times when my blu-ray arrives. I've only seen the film once, but I've seen SP in all its big screen explosive glory 7x, so the action stuff is very much front of mind.
    chrisisall wrote: »

SPECTRE didn't crack it because it's a poseur elitist list. ;)
    You think it could have cracked a top 10 list, by virtue of the pts alone.
    Of the films listed I would have made it #1, and I've seen all but two of them I think. Mind you the presence of Bond in the action, influences my opinion.
    So for me
    1. Bond
    2.Uncle
    3. Star Wars probably, when I get around to seeing it.
    4.Mission. Impossible which was pretty good.

Maybe SP has the stronger scenes, but overall, since it speaks about action movies, not action scenes, I´m completely on the U.N.C.L.E. side, even though it´s annoying to write that name with all the dots in between.

Uncle was a real good.pic I thought. Better than I thought it might be, as I did have fears.
    But it had a good Uncle vibe, and was quite smart in parts. I'm not sure if I'd rank it ahead of Spectre or not in terms of purely personal favourites.
    Need that blu-ray and a few more samplings.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    boldfinger wrote: »

Maybe SP has the stronger scenes, but overall, since it speaks about action movies, not action scenes, I´m completely on the U.N.C.L.E. side, even though it´s annoying to write that name with all the dots in between.
    SPECTRE is mentioned in the preamble to the actual list in the Collider article. They suggest it didn't make the grade calling it a 'messy disappointment'. It did make the cutoff for inclusion.

I will be watching Man From Uncle on Blu ray tonight and will report back. I haven't seen it since my only viewing in the theatre and am interested to see what I think of it now, post-SP.
    Thanks @bondjames Hmmmm, a messy disappointment"
    SP seems to provoke all kinds of reactions.
    Could be that messy brother angle and of course the no socks. Mind you there is lots to gripe.about with SP, so who knows.
    When I get some time off, I'll peek at the Collider site more closely and see what their SP issues are.
    Do appreciate the Uncle love though.
    @Boldfinger your efforts to correctly type the U.N.C.L.E. name are impressive.
    I did it the one here but it was a real test of my smartphone typing skills.
    Don"t think I could pull it off again.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Having just re-watched the film, I sincerely hope there will be a sequel. I'd love to see this team take on another mission. :D

Yep.