The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    (Story suggests Guy Ritchie is in the running to direct Bond 25).
    Oh yes, please!
    delfloria wrote: »
    You also overlooked the fact that Solo and Illya are politically opposed to each other while Jim and Barney both work for the same government. It makes sense that there would be friction between Solo and Illya while it would not make sense for the members of the IMF to be at odds with each other. Of course there is the fact that Rollin had a thing for Cinnamon......... so maybe a love rivalry would have work in there somewhere after all.

I was just throwing out an equivalent and predictable IMF storyline idea to that of Uncle's; one's a Russian, one's an American - let's make them enermies and forget the original concept whereby when Solo and Kuryakin held opposing political views, the friction between them in the story was always held to a bare minimum. One could easily apply the same angle with Jim and Barney set against the backdrop of The American Civil Rights Movement. Yes, I know it's stupid, but then so is the whole cut and thrust of the new Uncle movie also.
    Good new IMFDB has page on the original UNCLE series 1 with original guns. Which is good I the rest of Series under Robert Vaughn & David McCallum. So stick around.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well some film execs. think U.N.C.L.E. was a success. Enough for a sequel?????? http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/guy-ritchie-frame-bond-director-6962038

Color me skeptical based on the phrasing in the story. (Story suggests Guy Ritchie is in the running to direct Bond 25).
    I'm afraid 'The Mirror' is short for 'The Laughing Mirror, all we write is bogus'. They should put that in their title.

I used to be sceptical about Guy Richie, but I think he's proved to be able to understand the source material. So perhaps he should do Bond. But this artice doesn't prove/disprove anything amongst those lines. If he's really considered, it's just a coincedence The Mirror writes it too.

• edited December 2015 Posts: 4,622
    U.N.C.L.E. makes Time magazine's ten best films of 2015 list. http://time.com/4134913/top-10-best-movies/
    Well Uncle is a very well crafted film.
    I would have ranked it much higher.On that list#1.
    Although I have seen exactly zero of the other films, but Creed and Machina are on my radar.
    On my own 2015 list I have Uncle #2 behind only SP.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I have to give it a second viewing. Last night I watched U.N.C.L.E. for the first time. I have to say that it took me a while to warm up to it but by the end I was "getting" what they were trying to do. I was also left wanting a second film.
    It's not perfect film by any means but it interesting that most people who do see it would like to see Solo, Gaby and Illya back for a second round.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I've only watched it once in the theatre. I hope to pick up the blu ray soon. The thing I remember the most about it is the colours. It is truly a vibrant and colourful looking film, and I appreciated that aspect to it. The humour is ok as well.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,622
    It's got some smart Uncle moments.
    I would like to see 2nd film where we go whole hog Uncle
    Get the HQ up.and running, triangle badges, emergence of Thrush, blast the classic theme.
    Now that we know how it all got started, lets do some Uncle!!!!!
    timmer wrote: »
    It's got some smart Uncle moments.
    I would like to see 2nd film where we go whole hog Uncle
    Get the HQ up.and running, triangle badges, emergence of Thrush, blast the classic theme.
    Now that we know how it all got started, lets do some Uncle!!!!!
    I´d rather have not all elements in place and a great, fun film that makes sense by itself, instead of everything in it for the sake of having everything in it and then having a mediocre film. That reminds me too much of Spectre.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    As long as Gaby returns I'm a happy man ;-)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,460
    Specifications of Dutch/Belgium/France Bluray release:

Audio: English & France Dolby True HD 7.1 Atmos.
    Subs: English, France, Dutch/Nederlands

Extra's:

Spy Vision: Recreating '60s Cool (8:30) A Higher Class Of Hero (7:10)
    Metissé Motorcycles: Proper and Very British (4:50) The Guys from U.N.C.L.E. (5:00) A Man of Extraordinary Talents (3:20) U.N.C.L.E: On-Set Spy – Brief collections of raw, on-set footage: Don’t Swim Elegantly (1:10) You Want to Wrestle? (1:10)
    Heli Restored (1:10) A Family Thing (1:50)

The dvd (R2 NL/BE/FR/D/IT) only include A Higher Class Of Hero (7:10) as bonus. Audio is English, France, German and Italian DD 5.1 (384kbps.) Subs: English, France, German, Italian & Dutch/Nederlands.

Possible there be start up trailer from Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 2,115
    Alicia Vikander was nominated for 2 Golden Globes. Neither was for UNCLE, but it may be a sign that her star is rising.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/sag-nominee-alicia-vikanders-journey-to-the-danish-girl-exclusive-video-20151209
    Three guesses as to what was number one....and the first two do not count.http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/rentals
    Alicia Vikander was nominated for 2 Golden Globes. Neither was for UNCLE, but it may be a sign that her star is rising.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/sag-nominee-alicia-vikanders-journey-to-the-danish-girl-exclusive-video-20151209
    It´s impossible to imagine that her star may not be rising.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    When I watch her " Rising" comes to mind. :D
    When I watch her " Rising" comes to mind. :D
    That far?

*I'll get me coat*
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Rented it last night but fell asleep for about 30 minutes halfway through, not because of the film, just because I was tired. I enjoyed what I did see
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I saw UNCLE on bluray and actually liked. Unlike Mendes Ritchie seemed to know what he wanted with UNCLE and how to film it.

Bond is my favorite but sorry both MI and UNCLE were better crafted.

EoN does better when having to prove itself or when trying to win back. Top dog doesn't work well for them. They always seem to choke.
    I do not blame it on EON but Mendes & Craig who both had a vision, as it turns out a beautifully shot and poor scripts and mostly poor action.
    A cool look back at the series that started it all. Courtesy of The U.N.C.L.E. INNER CIRCLE FB group.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I watched the film yesterday. It's ok. Very stylish, but average plot, cast, stunts and plot. All involved would have benefited from actually watching the original series/ films.....which something tells me they didn't. Cavill was good in the film as Solo, although I wasn't sold on his American accent.
    Caught it for the second time and liked it better, still not a great film, but
    there's plenty to work with for a second film.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,767
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I watched the film yesterday. It's ok. Very stylish, but average plot, cast, stunts and plot. All involved would have benefited from actually watching the original series/ films.....which something tells me they didn't. Cavill was good in the film as Solo, although I wasn't sold on his American accent.
    As someone who never watched the original series I must say I couldn´t give less about whether the filmmakers watched it or not. I find it much more important that the film as such makes sense.

(Not to mention that Sam Mendes probably watched "the original series", and look what came off that...)

Had a great time at the unveiling of George Lazenby's figure at Madame Tussauds today. Of course George played JB in "RETURN OF THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.". Still as charming and affable as ever. For coverage check out The U.N.C.L.E. Inner Circle FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/369560823208688/
    http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/10-best-movie-action-scenes-of-2015.html

#10.

The Boat Chase, The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
    Aside from the obligatory wisecracks, humor is often underused in modern action sequences, which is why Guy Ritchie’s (yes, Guy Ritchie’s) espionage romp The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was such a breath of fresh air this year. In what may be its best scene, dashing American agent Solo (Henry Cavill) and stoic Soviet agent Ilya (Armie Hammer) have to make a fast getaway on a speedboat after infiltrating a Roman shipping yard. But then Solo is accidentally thrown off the boat, swims ashore, gets in a truck, and takes a deep breath. Then he turns on the radio, sips some Chianti, and munches on a sandwich while Ilya, in the background, practically tears his butt off doing circles trying to escape the baddies. It’s a beautiful bit of visual humor, but it also gains elegant poignancy when, after Ilya’s boat sinks, Solo leaps back into the action by driving his truck right onto the villains’ boat and saving his drowning partner at the last minute.
    Well it definately is original..
    I find the Man from Uncle an odd film, in that at first I hated it. Then
    Recently having rented it again, and watching it several times. I now
    Really like it, I missed many of the homes etc first time round and
    Hope they make another. :)