The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Despite the bad back-projection shots of Roger there's some good aerial stunt work.
    I love the detail they give to the sailors working quarters on the ship (handcuffing the watchmen to the desk).
    I can't quite put my finger on it. Despite some good cinematography there is a certain TV movie vibe to this. I think it's the way the film is lit more than anything.

So far I'm enjoying it more than AVTAK, which I saw last night. Moore's more convincing here too.
    There's some really nice cinematography of the Italian mountains.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited May 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I am now convinced more than ever that the implication is that Kananga is Solitare's biological father.

Which makes his threat of 'taking her power himself' even more disturbing then!

In one instance it makes sense because he said he took her mother's virginity so then he may just hold onto the child for this reason (other than hunting down the child and possibly killing the parents)

The age thing of kanaga would be a problem. To be generous with the age difference he'd have been about 16 when he deflowered her mother - and then it would also leave a large chunk of time when kanaga had no access to anyone's 'sight'.

I can't remember if there is any expansion on Solitare's mother's fate in the novel?
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,189
    The hi-def on the Blu-ray make the underwater close-ups of Bond and Melina look pretty unconvincing.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    YEs, they really blew it with Blofeld. When I saw it in the theatre ( pre-internet, so I had no clue it was coming) and the cat appeared on screen (following Tracy's grave!), I was exhilarated. It seemed to be what I had been waiting of since DAF; some kind of resolution. And though that is what we did get, I hated that it was thrown away as a cheap gag.

I don't really mind the inclusion of Blofeld in FYEO, it seemed to keep in with the goofiness of Charles Gray's performance, despite being an obvious reference to Telly Salavas' incarnation. But a total letdown compared to his death in the books.
    @Birdleson Those are two pretty big "if"s. And doesn't make up for the series' dullest villain and a sexless Bond girl.
    I'm not all that fond of LALD but Yaphett was very good as Kananga.
    I like the ticking down of the explosive timer underwater before the brief pause, the look of "shit" and booom.

Though Melina's cries sound a bit overdone to me.
    "careful James, it's 5,000 years old"

Not the best reading from Miss Boquet.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Bouquet is awful in the underwater Neptune scenes. The whole section should probably have been scrapped (just have Bond go down there and get it). Fortunately, that stretch of the film is saved by the keelhauling scene. I don't mind her in the rest of the film.
    I think she's quite wooden throughout the film, though she has the right demeanour of a vengeful warrior.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, she is icy cold on the outside for much of the film, but also exhibits a determination and passion underneath which I thought was well done.

It's quite a contrast to her happy go lucky self in her opening scene, pre-parent's death, and makes her behaviour in the remainder of the film more poignant.
    The drop from the mountain-side is more of a "gasp" moment than even the ski stunt in TSWLM (and yes I know Mr Sylvester did both).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The drop from the mountain-side is more of a "gasp" moment than even the ski stunt in TSWLM (and yes I know Mr Sylvester did both).

Most exciting scene in the series.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @BAIN123 , completely agree. Recently watching FYEO, I was captivated by the entire climbing sequence and felt knots in my stomach.
    It's becaus you don't expect it.
    i think the climbing scene was inspired by The Guns of Navarone. Watching that film the other month made me realize how similar they are right down to the bird scare.
    It's a fantastic sequence.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    i think the climbing scene was inspired by The Guns of Navarone. Watching that film the other month made me realize how similar they are right down to the bird scare.

I always felt FYEO had the tone and feeling of a WWII movie in many ways. In addition to The Guns of Navarone, the rock climbing scene reminds me of Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood climbing the mountaintop castle in Where Eagles Dare.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Both are from the hand of Alistair MacLean.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Guns of the navarone is a one of my favourite adventure films. Love it.
    Just watching a bit of SP. Did C not attend elementary school, is that why he doesn't know what democracy is? And did he seriously just try to shoot M point blank in the face? Lol. How stupid.
    Good point @Birdleson. That scene is a weak spot of the film.
    I've always found the Thatcher ending to be one of the weakest parts of FYEO, myself.
    The ending is also meh yeah. I think the film collectively is one of Moore's best but there's no doubt some moments aren't so great. I can forgive them anyway.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Bond's fight with the three goons in Saida's dressing room in TMWTGG is very good. Well edited, good choreography; and Moore is doing much of his own stunt work. Maybe his best. Followed by the fight with Teehee on the train.

His interaction with Saida is great too.
    Drives me crazy in FYEO when Bond tells Melina that they need to conserve their air underwater then talks nonstop exposition. And the dead bodies that have been down there for what must be at least a week at this point are basically intact. Those issues, combined with the slow pacing and unconvincing faux undersea footage, convince me that the film would be better off if that entire segment was cut.
    I agree and mentioned that somewhere yesterday. It would have been better if Bond went down alone (like he did in a similar sequence in NSNA). Melina (and Bouquet) are useless in this entire section as well. Thankfully the far superior keelhauling sequence follows it.
    Bond's fight with the three goons in Saida's dressing room in TMWTGG is very good. Well edited, good choreography; and Moore is doing much of his own stunt work. Maybe his best. Followed by the fight with Teehee on the train.

I've always loved the karate school girls. The audience sure got excited about it back in '74.
    Agree on both fronts. I've always loved both sequences, but then again I find a lot of TMWTGG superb.
  • TMWTGG is one of my most watched films of the series, very fun movie.