The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Even the blu Ray menu is exciting with Bond 77 playing
    What more can be said about the PTS? That ski jump is still ballsy as hell even forty years later.
    The opening titles whizz by and it's among binder's best work. Nobody Does It Better - will forever be associated with sir roger
    Straight after the credits I enjoy the subversion of the traditional Bond meets 'M' scene by having the Gogol meeting XXX scene.
    Roger in a naval uniform - the man is suave like no other.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Roger in a naval uniform - the man is suave like no other.

He was the epitome of suave and cool.
    Watching TSWLM It's not my favouraite Moore Bond though he was at his peak, it's weird it's like watching this film for the first time again.
    Strange that Gilbert chooses to use no music when Roger first appears in Egypt on the camel.
    Forgot about the close up of sandor's eyes through the gate. Quite extreme!
    edited May 2017 Posts: 2,721
    On the other hand I always remember the lack of music in the Sandor fight. It was interesting Roger had issues with kicking Locque off the cliff in FYEO but no issue with snapping his tie to let Sandor fall to his death. I think because althought the acts are comparable the tone is different in TSWLM replete with a good one liner...what a helpful chap.
    Just watched the Lotus sequence three times in a row, that scene just purrs Roger is effortlessly in the Zone.
    Roger has a few fist fights in this one - I always forget the punch up he has as XXX just watches her mates get beaten up at the pyramid. The pyramid scene is a great one by the way. Nice lighting. And ominous mood setting.
    After ignoring music for a while Then Gilbert uses the music to great effect for the kalba death scene. Interesting. Also 007 is brave to accept a drink from a rival soviet agent at kalba's joint!
    I like that XXX wakes up and sees she is resting on Bond's shoulder while the instrumental version of Nobody Does it better plays in the background. It's a nice little character moment for both of them and helps to build up the romance without being too obvious.
    there is so much beige in the train compartment scene it feels like they shot it in sepia tone...
    sardinia looks lovely. The arm in the bottom of stromberg's tank is a nice touch.
    The lotus chase scene is quality - Moore cool in this sequence especially. The shot of the lotus just before it hits the water with the chasing helicopter is iconic. A lot has to be said for Gilbert and the stunt team placing the helicopter there - must have been tempting to just concentrate on the lotus but there's something about the helicopter gliding next to the lotus as it goes in that really makes me pump the fist in delight. Also I've always maintained that the vanishing car in DAD would have worked better if they had revealed it in a similar way - so the audience didnt know it could do that until a vital point.

Bond theme playing as the lotus exits the water is perfect.
    I appreciate the scope of TSWLM. especially following the smaller confines of MWTGG and LALD.
    I miss the days of wanton grenade lobbing. It's to another level in TSWLM and wouldn't let up in action films until the 90s it seemed.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Might do Moonraker in a little bit
    I know it's been asked before but Why didn't they focus more on Stromberg's webbed hands? Not saying they needed to - but just curious in a time when anything went in 007's world they chose to be coy about that?
    The lotus chase scene is quality - Moore cool in this sequence especially. The shot of the lotus just before it hits the water with the chasing helicopter is iconic. A lot has to be said for Gilbert and the stunt team placing the helicopter there - must have been tempting to just concentrate on the lotus but there's something about the helicopter gliding next to the lotus as it goes in that really makes me pump the fist in delight. Also I've always maintained that the vanishing car in DAD would have worked better if they had revealed it in a similar way - so the audience didnt know it could do that until a vital point.

Bond theme playing as the lotus exits the water is perfect.

Agreed that's a phenomenal shot of the Lotus and Helicopter I often freeze frame that.
    Shane rimmer has good chemistry with Moore. Might have made a good Felix Leiter?
    Bond riding the camera is good. I think it's smart to have Bond hijack the very thing that is causing them problems (something monitoring them) and then the added tension of Bond hanging there until the last minute. Moore is really doing the job in these battle scenes. A very strong and often surprisingly serious presence.
    Even though they destroyed the subs - H-Bombs going off in the middle of the ocean will still cause issues for future generations I imagine.
    Redundant to say I know but the model work in this film really is impressive
    Another great reveal of a gadget - the wet bike - when rimmer holds up the handle bars in puzzlement only to then cut to Moore cruising on the completed machine as the bond theme plays. Good stuff.
    An ignominious death for Stromberg. Cold blooded as Bond gets. Not something we associate Moore with too often. The jaws fight sans music again. Another strange choice.
    The way sir Roger looks up at the magnet as jaws then looks up.... That makes me laugh every time.
    And like that TSWLM is over. It seemed to whizz by this viewing. This is one of those 'save the franchise' films that I'm eternally grateful for. There exists a lightness of touch to proceedings and obviously I was focused on Sir Roger even more than usual this time around. But that final third I've always been a little dismissive of but this time around it really gripped me. The Stromberg finale isn't the strongest but everything before that really worked this time around.

Thank you again Roger - you changed our lives.