The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• edited July 2022 Posts: 2,161
    I saw it in the theatre in ‘81. It was the first Bond film I saw as an adult. I was shocked to see Blofeld, not to mention the grave of Tracy. But then it played out in such a hollow fashion, disappointing. Still, I liked the film as a whole. Big improvement over MR. I was also pleased to see so much from not only the short stories, but unused material from other novels, as well. Yes, I didn’t mean to include the keel hauling scene with the otherwise dull underwater fare.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Saw rather a lot of Maryam d'Abo in Xtro on UK tv the other night...
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Venutius wrote: »
    Saw rather a lot of Maryam d'Abo in Xtro on UK tv the other night...

I'll bet you did!!! :))
    Occasionally I like to count the similarities between myself, and my hero, Sean Connery:
    He's from Scotland, my cat's from Scotland. He was 31 when he did DR NO, I also used to be 31.
    Recently I discovered he and I both have a pet peeve when it comes to employers and paychecks.
    I put up a HUGE fuss last week as payday came and went and my paycheck was a no show. I contacted the Dept. of labor, and discussed the matter with a lawyer friend of mine. I left that company with no notice saying "Never again".
    I'd like to think Connery would approve.

I ended up quickly accepting a better paying job with better working conditions,
    Just finished my first week there and it's time to celebrate with

GOLDFINGER.

Bond puts Goldfinger in his place as he cheats Mr. Simmons. This scene is the embodiment of Connery cool.

Bond and Jill Masterson. A great scene.
    Barry's score is a masterpiece IMO. He gives gold a sound.
    Bond is pretty upset at finding Jill. I love Connery's voice as he speaks on the phone. He's trying to contain his emotion. He carries this into the M scene. I love the bit as M reminds 007 to remain professional. Connery straightens himself. Wonderful.
    I love Bond following Goldfinger in Switzerland. Possibly the only time we see snow in the Connery films?
    Bond effed up Tilly's wheels.
  • ToTheRight wrote: »
    I love Bond following Goldfinger in Switzerland. Possibly the only time we see snow in the Connery films?

We also briefly see snow toward the start of YOLT. But I believe GF is the only the time we see Connery with snow in the backdrop.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

We also briefly see snow toward the start of YOLT. But I believe GF is the only the time we see Connery with snow in the backdrop.

That's right! Good catch.
    Bond looks pretty ragged and dusty on that laser table. 007 is getting seriously concerned here as that laser inches it's way closer and closer.................

I love his 5'o clock shadow. One can catch Connery's wedding band covered up in the plane scenes.
    Lowery removed the visible wires on the shots of the model plane.
    I prefer to see the wires as originally seen in the cinemas circa 1964.
    Removing the wires, IMO doesn't make the plane (in this case) look any less like a model.
    I think I may be one of the few fans who truly loves the Kentucky scenes.
    I love the gangsters. They all look like they've just been to a Warner Bros gangster film
    fest at their local cinema and are trying to act like Cagney....or Robinson.........or Bogie.
    I also love the soldiers collapsing. As laughable as it is, from the Flying Circus's angle, it probably looks like they're legitimately gassed.
    One of my favorite scenes in movie history: the Oddjob fight in Ft. Knox.
  • ToTheRight wrote: »
    Removing the wires, IMO doesn't make the plane (in this case) look any less like a model.

This was for the Blu-ray releases? That's interesting if it was because I recall on the special features for The Man with the Golden Gun either Barbara Broccoli or Michael G. Wilson mentioned they were asked if they wanted the crew in the dressing room mirror digitally removed and they said no. They didn't want to "Lucas" anything while restoring the films. If they did digitally remove the strings on the plane in GF that kind of goes against that sentiment.
    I love Goldfinger's golden gun as much as Scaramanga's.
    Oddjob's hat was one of my favorite gadgets when I was a kid. I had a fascination with guillotines. Comes from watching too many Hammer horror's.

Bond's getting his a$s kicked.
    The ABC Sunday Night Movie used to really butcher this and the other Connery films.
    It wasn't until my folks bought a VHS player that I got to enjoy these classics in their entirety.
    Great viewing yet again!
    Remains at the top for me.
    I think I may be one of the few fans who truly loves the Kentucky scenes.

I dunno ! The pace does really slacken, and its just not interesting whats happening! It picks up fabulously forxthe ending!
    I love Goldfinger's golden gun as much as Scaramanga's.

I actually think this golden gun is just as cool as Scaramangas!

This was for the Blu-ray releases? That's interesting if it was because I recall on the special features for The Man with the Golden Gun either Barbara Broccoli or Michael G. Wilson mentioned they were asked if they wanted the crew in the dressing room mirror digitally removed and they said no. They didn't want to "Lucas" anything while restoring the films. If they did digitally remove the strings on the plane in GF that kind of goes against that sentiment.

The wires on the Vulcan landing in TB were also removed by Lowery. I suppose it's not as extreme as Lucasing the crew's mirror reflection in TMWTGG.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 2,161
    Watching CR, I can't comfortably put this in the same continuity as NTTD. They seem to occur in completely different universes, so far as tone and style (which is not unique to any single Bond actor's tenure).
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 15,818
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Watching CR, I can't comfortably put this in the same continuity as NTTD. They seem to occur in completely different universes, so far as tone and style (which is not unique to any single Bond actor's tenure).

For me one is pure Fleming, albeit updated, and the other strives to be Fleming yet ends up John Gardner. Actually I'd say the first two Craig's capture Fleming and from SF on embody Gardner.
    I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed the TND PTS as much as I have with this viewing.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Agreed. CR and QOS are one era. A tone I wished to hell they'd kept.

Perhaps this tone will come back in the future if indeed James Bond does return...

Perhaps this tone will come back in the future if indeed James Bond does return...

Ah, dont say that mate! Course he be back, though have never been as anxious as I am now for the new era! Some of the names been thrown around have my eyes rolling so much I nearly gave meslf a seizure!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Ah, dont say that mate! Course he be back, though have never been as anxious as I am now for the new era! Some of the names been thrown around have my eyes rolling so much I nearly gave meslf a seizure!

It just seems a lack of enthusiasm on the producers part. But to be fair none of the actors rolled out so far could hope to fill Craig’s shoes. So they're in an unenviable position so far as getting the series up and running again.

A damn good Flemingesque script would be the first hurdle though. And of course the return of David Arnold 😉
    Mathis1 wrote: »

It just seems a lack of enthusiasm on the producers part. But to be fair none of the actors rolled out so far could hope to fill Craig’s shoes. So they're in an unenviable position so far as getting the series up and running again.

A damn good Flemingesque script would be the first hurdle though. And of course the return of David Arnold 😉

I do hope a return to Fleming is in order. The Craig era started extremely Fleming-esque, and IMO ending up more John Gardner.
    I believe Barbara did say that they've scraped the bottom as far as Fleming material goes. Slim pickings, now. Doesn't mean an original story couldn't embody the Fleming tone, though.
    Midway thru a rough week so a Bond film should do the trick.........

MOONRAKER

I envy everyone in the UK seeing these on the big screen in 4K.
    Suddenly in the mood for Sir Roger.

Love the Binder titles here.

A rather brief M scene, really. I love the Bond is eager to leave and head for beautiful California and Q stops to give him the dart gun.