The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

A buddy of mine was recently given braces (suspenders like Steve Urkel) as a gift.
    He hated them. I suavely reminded him that our hero, Daniel Craig sports some stylish braces in the concluding act of NO TIME TO DIE.
    That had no effect and he still thought his suspenders sucked. I suspect they're in the trash by now.
    Bond wailed on Primo.
    007 finds Dou Dou. I almost feel like crying myself.
    Nah, I'll save that for the next time I watch the Felix death scene.
    I find Felix's death more moving than Vesper's, M's and, dare I say, even Tracy's.
    Q realizes Bond is screwed.
    ..................and Bond bites the big one.

I still say had Bond made protein filled scrambled eggs instead of those flimsy apple peels, he'd have had the energy to heroically dive off the island and swim to safety.

Oh well. That's what happens when Madeleine doesn't keep her fridge properly stocked.

Great viewing!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I find Felix's death more moving than Vesper's, M's and, dare I say, even Tracy's.

BINGO!!! See my comment from June 13th.
    Dwayne wrote: »

BINGO!!! See my comment from June 13th.

My sentiments exactly. I left the screening room during those moments the second and third time I saw this film in the theatre. Felix's death affected me more than the others.
    Brilliant performances by Wright and Craig.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,625
    Given how emotionally attached some of us are (and still are) with our childhood toys, I can see Mathilde really regretting the lost of the Dou Dou. “Enough about Mr. Bond mommy, tell me about my Dou Dou!” :))
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent

I still say had Bond made protein filled scrambled eggs instead of those flimsy apple peels, he'd have had the energy to heroically dive off the island and swim to safety.

Oh well. That's what happens when Madeleine doesn't keep her fridge properly stocked.

Great viewing!

What gets me is you need eggs to make pancake batter, Bond could've cut out the middleman and saved the hassle. Which leads me to conclude that Mathilde doesn't like scrambled eggs. So are we really sure she's Bond's child after all? :))
    Malek is clearly having fun with his character.
    Quite a long Bond/villain dialogue scene.

Bond KNEELs BEFORE SAFIN!

This bit is kind of funny.

It doesnt work for me...i think it just goes on a little too long, if Bond had just bowed and as Safin taunts him, he then draws the gun and shoots, but its just overdone and rather cringey!

Great viewing!

What gets me is you need eggs to make pancake batter, Bond could've cut out the middleman and saved the hassle. Which leads me to conclude that Mathilde doesn't like scrambled eggs. So are we really sure she's Bond's child after all? :))

Haha! Good point!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Malek is clearly having fun with his character.
    Quite a long Bond/villain dialogue scene.

Bond KNEELs BEFORE SAFIN!

This bit is kind of funny.

It doesnt work for me...i think it just goes on a little too long, if Bond had just bowed and as Safin taunts him, he then draws the gun and shoots, but its just overdone and rather cringey!

Yes, it could've been trimmed. Probably why I find this moment unintentionally funny.
    Intended as dramatic, but the result is over the top and cringey.
    Don’t know where else to put this random thought, but on the eve before Father’s Day, I just realized NTTD can count as a holiday movie! Last Crusade’s my personal favorite one for this occasion.
    Another random thought, regarding OHMSS. / GF. Two moments that I’ve always connected in my head are when Goldfinger calls Bond 007, to which Bond says “My name is James Bond,” and then Blofeld saying 007 and Bond saying “I’m Sir Hillary Bray.” Hope I’m not the only one that found this interestingly similar!
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Watching SF, it is almost inconceivable to me that the same team followed this near masterpiece up with SP.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 15,804
    Been nearly two weeks since I last watched a Bond. Been a rough week, yet I turned things around with flying colors. In addition I now have nearly a week off to relax.

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS opened in the UK 35 years ago,

Perfect choice. We had to wait nearly another month in the US.

Since Eon is planning a reinvention of Bond This is perhaps my favorite reinvention of the series.

Great PTS.
    I chose the old SE DVD for this viewing. I very much prefer the color timing and framing here to the Lowery restoration.
    My favorite "reinvention" of Bond, Timothy Dalton.
    I love the Q scenes in this Bond.
    When I was in high school my haircut was just like Dalton's in this film. It took a couple months for it to grow to that length.
    The kitchen fight is superb. Green Four vs Necros.
    Love Barry's instrumental arrangements of the title song.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,625
    The kitchen fight is superb. Green Four vs Necros.

Trivia: Bill Weston was a stuntman on 2OO1.

I remember when TLD was released in the summer of 1987. I had a big crush on Maryam d"Abo (still do actually).
    2KQONgibNNv1zM3AMVwtsO9jUdU.jpg

Happy viewing.
    Definitely, @Dwayne!
    Count me in as a huge fan of Maryam d'Abo. One of my most favorite Bond girls.
    Also one of the most romantic Bond films, IMO.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 15,804
    I'm in the minority here, but the Afghanistan scenes are my favorite section of this Bond. I love the battle at the airbase and the wonderful Barry score.
    Amazing stunt work on that net.
    I used to have military boots kind of like Bond's here. I should find an army surplus and buy another pair. Those lasted for years.
    Great viewing! Hit the spot.
    Hard to imagine its 35yrs since TLD made its debut! No disrespect to Roger, but I was blown away by Daltons performance, and the film, so many great scenes and the action is superb ( I vividly recall the lady in seat in front me literally sitting on the edge of her seat during the cargo net fight!) Cant wait to see it again on the big screen in a couple of weeks! First class Bond movie!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Hard to imagine its 35yrs since TLD made its debut! No disrespect to Roger, but I was blown away by Daltons performance, and the film, so many great scenes and the action is superb ( I vividly recall the lady in seat in front me literally sitting on the edge of her seat during the cargo net fight!) Cant wait to see it again on the big screen in a couple of weeks! First class Bond movie!

Same here. As much as I loved Sir Roger, I was extremely excited for Timothy's debut.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    As much as I love most of FYEO, I find the underwater scenes interminable.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    As much as I love most of FYEO, I find the underwater scenes interminable.

Apart from the keel hauling scene, yes, they are difficult sequences to make exciting. I think they are well shot here, but go on too long ( did we really need the nerdy guy in the submersible for another attack on Bond and Melina?(
    Am going to see FYEO in the cinema tomorrow, I'll be interested ro see how these scenes play out, not to mention that extreme close up of Melinas eyes after her parents are killed!!)