The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

I like how Bond is being facetious about the Eiffel Tower and Corrine is serious.

May I press you to a cucumber sandwich?
    Everybody blames Bond personally for losing the Moonraker. It's all his fault and no one else's.

The gondola bit is about as silly as it gets, but I love it regardless.
    As Bond plays the CLOSE ENCOUNTERS theme, M and the Minister of Defense look at each other like that's the stupidest, most idiotic code.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Ah Yes….MOONRAKER The perfect Bond film for a rainy "I don't feel like thinking too hard" Sunday afternoon.
    moon+pigeon.gif
    :))
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Ah Yes….MOONRAKER The perfect Bond film for a rainy "I don't feel like thinking too hard" Sunday afternoon.
    moon+pigeon.gif
    :))

Precisely.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Despite its’ silliness, MOONRAKER does have a great John Barry score, and a couple of surprisingly tense scenes. It also has ….. Manuela!!!
    :x :x :x
    mr_30_500.jpg

Take care @ToTheRight and enjoy the rest of the film. I’m off to sleep.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I’m watching it as we speak, just passed the halfway point. I was so angry in 1979 when this film came out. The expectations were so high after TSWLM, and they just tried to replicate it missing the point about what made the other one great. Too silly and no sign that we’d ever be getting out of that type of a film. Too much reliance on gadgetry. I know I’m unique among fandom, but I would do a way with the gadgets completely. Aside from that briefcase with the knives, Bond never had gadgets in Fleming. In MR Bond doesn’t even have his PPK, but for the opening Gunbarrel. Still, there’s no doubt that the score, the effects, the miniatures, the sets, are all spectacular.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Midway thru a rough week so a Bond film should do the trick.........

MOONRAKER

I envy everyone in the UK seeing these on the big screen in 4K.
    Suddenly in the mood for Sir Roger.

Love the Binder titles here.

A rather brief M scene, really. I love the Bond is eager to leave and head for beautiful California and Q stops to give him the dart gun.

Moonraker was fabulous on the big screen, especially for Ken Adams sets.
    My man Dalton is nexf week! Can't wait!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I’m watching it as we speak, just passed the halfway point. I was so angry in 1979 when this film came out. The expectations were so high after TSWLM, and they just tried to replicate it missing the point about what made the other one great. Too silly and no sign that we’d ever be getting out of that type of a film. Too much reliance on gadgetry. I know I’m unique among fandom, but I would do a way with the gadgets completely. Aside from that briefcase with the knives, Bond never had gadgets in Fleming. In MR Bond doesn’t even have his PPK, but for the opening Gunbarrel. Still, there’s no doubt that the score, the effects, the miniatures, the sets, are all spectacular.

For me, I find TSWLM nearly as silly, the Jaws character, Hamlischs score, the submerging Lotus.
    I prefer MR, yes, some really dumb scenes ( hello the whole Gondola set piece and cable car scene!) But it has a better villain, some great lines, Ken Adams fantastic sets, score and theme, and the final battle is more exciting than Spys!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The gondola bit is about as silly as it gets, but I love it regardless.

I always skip the scene. For me it was the nadir of the series.

It's a clean skip on the Bluray. Goes From Bond’s conversation with Holly to Bond investigating the glass factory that evening.
    To this day I wonder how tf Jaws got above those pillars in Egypt.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    mattjoes wrote: »
    In NTTD, there is an interesting effect I hadn't noticed before for some reason. Bond arrives in London and goes to retrieve the Vantage. A tracking shot from left to right first shows Bond standing on the left side of the car, and then Bond getting in the car, on the right side. But at one point, without any cut or crossfade or anything, the shot simultaneously shows Bond standing on the left side and getting in the car on the right side. He appears to be in two places at once.

I noticed the same effect is used in the PTS when they arrive in Matera. It's that shot that was probably filmed with a drone. The DB5 exits right and a few seconds later it's at the bottom of the mountain. I like the effect. And that whole shot is beautiful. There is a... hyperreal feel to it, if you know what I mean. It almost looks like it's out of a fantasy movie, but there's nothing fantastical about it. The shot begins by focusing on the car only, but a few seconds later, the car almost looks like a toy when we get a view of the city.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Carl Rigg is great in The Living Daylights, especially as he's about to die in the Land Rover. He doesn't say a word in his entire performance, but his physical acting is on point. Can't wait to see it all again when I finally begin by damned Bond marathon later this month.
    I've got THUNDERBALL in now.
    Third act.
    Been doing errands around the old apartment and finally have a moment to sit and enjoy this cinematic masterpiece.
    Last Christmas I received a few Bond DVDs from a co worker who, shortly after the holidays, left to pursue other opportunities.
    Nice kid. I thought I'd gotten a coffee mug or something.
    So these DVD sets have been my go to when I'm in the mood for Connery or Craig.
    I like the colors on this copy of TB.
    Too bad Craig never got to deal with sharks during his era. Probably be CGI these days.
    I love the fight aboard the Disco Volante. ....and we get to the classic yellow dingy bit.
    Bond and Domino being lifted into the sky is pretty funny

Classic epic Bond adventure!
    Most certainly a good night to pop in a Bond epic.

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

Love this opening.
    Damn I forgot tp make a cup of coffee to enjoy during the PTS.
    I like to get the creamer to look exactly the same as the Navy officer's coffee looks here.
    Oh the things I do for Bond fandom.

George Baker is great.

Anya getting it on with Sergei. I like his Bond haircut.
    This film really celebrates Bond's coolness and bad assery. Even the title song is a celebration of 007.
    I'd say it's time for that feeling again.
    Olga Bisera. Love this scene.
    I had lunch, but I seem to have missed dessert.
    I like Ivan and Boris fight scene.
    Max Kalba is great.

Excuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssssse meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    I imagine nobody seeing this film on the screen this year laughed during the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in joke?
    Bond gives Anya sh*t before heading in to meet Stromberg.
    Love the Roger nod to Naomi.
    Classic moment!
    Fond memories watching this one with my Dad. We had seen MOONRAKER in the cinema, and this one aired on television around that time.

I later recall another airing circa 1984 on the ABC SUNDAY NIGHT MOVIE.

Really getting into Bond at that time and buying toy cap guns, trying to find one that looked like Bond's PPK. I remember one that had the PPK shape, but wasn't exactly a toy replica.....just similar. I remember making a toy shoulder holster, that I sported underneath my navy blazer. I remember the difficulty as a nine year old trying to find clothes that looked like something Bond might rock.

Of the Bonds, I think Sir Roger looked by far the best in Navy uniform.
    The Blu-ray is an astonishing improvement over the 2006 UE DVD edition.
    Martin Grace IS james Bond!!!!!
    The supertanker remains my favorite Ken Adam set.