The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Great write up as always, @ToTheRight
    'Octopussy' is always a fabulous watch! Its still pretty dismissed by online polls, most of these idiots cant get past the title and place it way down.
    But its got superb characters and set pieces, and the action is top notch!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Great write up as always, @ToTheRight
    'Octopussy' is always a fabulous watch! Its still pretty dismissed by online polls, most of these idiots cant get past the title and place it way down.
    But its got superb characters and set pieces, and the action is top notch!

Thanks, @Mathis1!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    In NTTD, there is an interesting effect I hadn't noticed before for some reason. Bond arrives in London and goes to retrieve the Vantage. A tracking shot from left to right first shows Bond standing on the left side of the car, and then Bond getting in the car, on the right side. But at one point, without any cut or crossfade or anything, the shot simultaneously shows Bond standing on the left side and getting in the car on the right side. He appears to be in two places at once.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    In NTTD, there is an interesting effect I hadn't noticed before for some reason. Bond arrives in London and goes to retrieve the Vantage. A tracking shot from left to right first shows Bond standing on the left side of the car, and then Bond getting in the car, on the right side. But at one point, without any cut or crossfade or anything, the shot simultaneously shows Bond standing on the left side and getting in the car on the right side. He appears to be in two places at once.

That's a weird shot.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »

That's a weird shot.

Bond films don't have to be 100% realistic!

It's been awhile.....more than half a month since I last Bonded.

While those in the U.K. are enjoying the Bond films on the big screen, I've been wallowing in self pity as in the States, we get no Bond.

:(

There was a revival of SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT last week, but I had to work so I missed out on that, too.

Time for some cheering up and no less than

THUNDERBALL to do the job.

First shot of Connery and already a huge smile on my face and I'm standing straighter.

I love the PTS.
    The jet pack is sheer delight...................

onto the titles............................
    If I had to pick a favorite SPECTRE meeting in the series, this is it.
    Largo's entrance is nothing short of classic. He's a superb villain. Also the unseen Blofeld adds and air of mystery.
    Eric Pohlmann ' voice here. I do remember one of the old Bond reference books claiming it was Joseph Wiseman's voice.
    .........and onto Shrublands.

Connery's magnificent. I love his pause as he notices the tattoo.
    I never fail to laugh during the rack sequence.
    Keep in touch

Anytime, James, any place

ANOTHER TIME, ANOTHER PLACE

A reminder that's another Lana Turner film for me to track down and add to my film library. I did enjoy the film she did with Sir Roger. watched it last week.

M calls Bond out on his tardiness in front of the other double Os.
    ........ah! Domino.
    Love Claudine Auger.
    This Bond epic has some of the best cinematography, IMO.
    I never fail to be mesmerized by the visuals.
    Great Barry score, too.
    When I was a kid I carved the pages out of a thick book to hide things like a tape recorder in. Made me feel like Bond.
    I should've used an encyclopedia or something like that. Instead I destroyed a Herman Wouk classic.
    My favorite Q scene in the series.
    Fiona Volpe is amazing.
    Bond sneaking into Palmyra. I used to try and re enact these scenes when I was a kid. Climbing onto the roofs of nearby warehouses in my neighborhood. I'd wear a dark polo shirt and black dress shoes.
    I fell on my arse a few times trying to run like Connery in dress shoes.
    I once slipped and fell down some stairs. Knocked the wind out of me.
    I was about 10.
    A police offer caught me climbing a fence and questioned me. He wanted some ID so I pulled out my wallet and showed him my Bond ID. My Dad had made a "licence to kill" for me with a photo of Connery from this film.
    Needless to say the officer let me go about my Bondian business.
    ............and Fiona gets it.
    It's been awhile.....more than half a month since I last Bonded.

While those in the U.K. are enjoying the Bond films on the big screen, I've been wallowing in self pity as in the States, we get no Bond.

There was a revival of SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT last week, but I had to work so I missed out on that, too.

Time for some cheering up and no less than

THUNDERBALL to do the job.

First shot of Connery and already a huge smile on my face and I'm standing straighter.

I love the PTS.
    The jet pack is sheer delight...................

onto the titles............................

Thats a pity thst you dont get the Bond anniversary movies there @ToTheRight
    Got my tickets today for next Tuesdays LALD showing!
    I booked ticket for TB, and was really looking forward to seeing it on the big screen, as you say it is visually excellent. But something came up last minute, and I couldnt go!! 😭
    LALD should be amazing, @Mathis1!
    I saw a clean 35mm print about 20 years ago and it was a lot of fun.
    Seeing the Bonds in 4K, though must be quite an experience!

Yes, was thrilled to get to see OHMSS last week. Fantastic experience, and great seeing it with a crowd ( well, about 20 people, but they seemed to be enjoying it as much as me!)
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Yes, was thrilled to get to see OHMSS last week. Fantastic experience, and great seeing it with a crowd ( well, about 20 people, but they seemed to be enjoying it as much as me!)

Wonderful! The only Bond film I have never seen on the big screen is TMWTGG. For some reason that one rarely gets revived here in the States. Also I've never seen the 67 CR in the cinema either.
    Still, it's great to see these classics with an audience.
    I love the underwater battle. EPIC!
    That really hit the spot. Still in my top three!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @ToTheRight. Nice summary of TB (as always). There appeared to be more TCM/Fathom Events screenings of SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT than normal, but the lack of a nice mid-week matinee showing has really reduced my own attendance at these things (i.e., leave work early!!!!).

As for big Screen Bond in the US @Mathis1, I’m not holding out much hope for anything outside of the screenings of selected films (a “best of”) at Alamo Drafthouse in the fall. I hope I'm wrong.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @ToTheRight. Nice summary of TB (as always). There appeared to be more TCM/Fathom Events screenings of SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT than normal, but the lack of a nice mid-week matinee showing has really reduced my own attendance at these things (i.e., leave work early!!!!).

As for big Screen Bond in the US @Mathis1, I’m not holding out much hope for anything outside of the screenings of selected films (a “best of”) at Alamo Drafthouse in the fall. I hope I'm wrong.

I would've liked to have seen SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT. My work schedule got in the way. I'm starting a new job later this month with a more normal schedule. Maybe I'll get to go to some of these TCM/Fathom events now.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,161
    As much as I enjoyed the Cuba segment from NTTD during my first few viewings, it hasn’t aged well for me. Very little of the film does, as a matter of fact, but for the feeling that pared down significantly in scope, taking away all connections to the past and larger story arcs, there was a potentially fun, kinetic and satisfying, tightly focused Bond film (one where he survives) under it all. It’s a shame. As opposed to SP, where there’s nothing to work with except the title. I would scrap everything else in that case.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    That final exchange between Madeleine and Mathilde is nauseating.
    As Anthony Starke's birthday was a few days ago, and I'm soon embarking on a new job in the financial industry. Time to celebrate with my favorite film of all time,

LICENCE TO KILL.

"James, love always, DELLER and Felix."

I need to perfect my Dalton accent. NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTY.

Sanchez is my favorite Bond villain, though there are others I'd argue could make a case as the best. Franz is my personal favorite.

I'm watching the older 2000 SE DVD as opposed to the cleaner, crisper and uncensored Blu-ray.

In all honesty, LTK did look a bit grainy and washed out in the cinema. The old DVD captures that feel more than the beautiful Blu-ray, IMO.

.........and Felix gets eaten. No bloody stump in this version.
    Dalton's hair looks good in the airport scene.

DELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As Bond bulls**ts his way into Krest's warehouse and pulls out his Universal Exports business card, Dalton's hair once again looks good. Not to worry, though, his bad hair day is coming ....................