The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    Nice watch along notes @TotheRight.

One of the nice things about watching classic movies is that I always find some connection between them and the Bond films. And today, when watching “Key Largo” (1948) I saw this about one of the henchmen in DAF and TMWTGG (PTS), actor Marc Lawrence.

https://soulrideblog.com/2019/02/18/marc-lawrence-henchman-and-then-some/

And happy birthday BTW.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Nice watch along notes @TotheRight.

One of the nice things about watching classic movies is that I always find some connection between them and the Bond films. And today, when watching “Key Largo” (1948) I saw this about one of the henchmen in DAF and TMWTGG (PTS), actor Marc Lawrence.

https://soulrideblog.com/2019/02/18/marc-lawrence-henchman-and-then-some/

And happy birthday BTW.

Thanks, @Dwayne! Also Brice Cabot from DAF was in several Golden Age movies: KING KONG, several Errol Flynn movies. Marc Lawrence was great. I remembered him in Abbott and Costello's HOLD THAT GHOST.
    ...about Brice Cabot, I never made the connection till now that he also played Loredo Stevens, the bad guy in the John Wayne classic Angel And The Badman, not to mention being in several other Wayne movies.

Yes ToTheRight, again great comments. TSWLM is my favorite Roger Moore film, #7 on my Bond list. About the scenes with Jaws' van, what you said reminded me of when Moore throws out the box of tools with some disgust. Moore could do that well yet also get totally macho during the battle in the Liparus--good range.
    MOONRAKER

Tomorrow is Lois Chiles' birthday so this is a good excuse to follow up my viewing of SPY with this one.
    First Bond film I ever saw. My folks took me to see this summer of '79.
    I love how traditional the gunbarrel is: just a straight up classic Roger Moore gunbarrel.
    The music is very MOONRAKER esque obviously just by those opening chords.

This is one of my favorite PTS openings. While Bond and the pilot are fighting, the air hostess probably ran off the get Jaws to assist . I imagine Bond caught up with her after they both landed and had her arrested. Nah.

Jake Lombard and BJ Worth are my favorite stuntmen in the series after Bob Simmons. Lombard more or less does look like Roger in many of these shots, especially as Bond is pushed from the plane.

Q and the Minister of Defence look bored to tears awaiting Bond to arrive.
    I love the wrist dart gun gadget. When I was a kid my Dad made me a facsimile MOONRAKER dark gun watch using some electrical component he had lying around. It didn't fire darts but I could pretend.
    The great Michael Londsdale. I always thought Drax was a great Bond villain.
    Chang (or Cha as Bond pronounces it) sporting a classic 1979 EIGHT IS ENOUGH Adam Rich bowl cut.
    Here we go..............Holly Goodhead. Happy birthday tomorrow, LOIS CHILES.
    I love Holly, one of my favorite Moore era leading Bond girls.
    Damn- my Blu-ray froze for a moment. I may have to clean the disc................luckily I have a back up copy just in case.............

Okay back to the centrifuge bit.

Bond is getting worried here..................
    I wish we'd get more scenes like this in newer films.
    Bond is getting thrashed.......................
    I love Chang's expression as Bond stops the centrifuge. YES!!!!

Bond got his ass kicked. He looks pretty rattled.

Roger Moore in that shiny black shirt is one of the images I most associate with this film.
    The still of him and Holly as they embrace was used in quite a few magazine articles and movie review books.
    Chang is pretty funny.
    Corrine seems to have a rather large birthmark or tattoo on her left hand which is seen as Bond quietly slips out of bed to do some Sneaky Bonding.
    The Cubby cameo!! Yay!
    More Sneaky Bond this time in broad daylight. I love the museum bit as Bond follows Dr. Goodhead.
    I believe, according to The Suits of James Bond, the suit 007 wears in this scene is a gray version of his TSWLM train sequence suit.
    The Bondola bit is pretty silly, but I love it anyway.
    Had to switch Blu-ray's. The other froze again. My late girlfriend gave me some of those early Volume Blu ray editions for Christmas of 2014, then the newer Complete Box set for Christmas a couple years later. Inevitably I had a back up copy of this one. Cleaned the disc and will see how it plays later.
    I'm really tempted to go backwards and start recollecting the old 2000 SE DVDs. Some of those transfers pre-Lowery I actually liked better.
    The fight with Chang is hilarious. I'm pretty sure it's Martin Grace doubling for Roger here.
    Bond smoothly steal's Holly's pen. Odd moment when he grabs her hand as she's reaching to turn on the lamp. HAAAA!!!!
    In this movie, Bond removes his Seiko watch to have sex. He puts it back on as he attempts to inconspicuously sneak out.
    We don't see his dart gun watch until much later in the film when he needs it.
    I wonder if he's storing it Christopher Walken PULP FICTION style for the duration of the movie?
    The Bell person in Rio isn't amused by Bond's smart ass quips.
    Emily Bolton is another great Bond girl, IMO. I wonder if she's been interviewed about this film?
    Bond does a lot of climbing in this one: that rope in the museum, and here he just climbed to the roof of the warehouse. Later he'll climb to the roof of the cable car from the inside.
    Bond ditches the tie to hang out with Holly at the cable car. Has he been wandering the streets all night and didn't go back to his suite to change?
    Jaws and his buddy Sandor Junior hijack the cable cars.
    I love this bit where they zip line down to ground.
    The Romeo and Juliet theme is a bit silly, but I actually like Jaws falling in love at first sight. Good for him.
    I actually love THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN theme playing during this sequence. I don't think the joke is particularly funny, it just reminds me what a great movie THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN is. I picked up a DVD set of that series for a buck last year and enjoyed those films immensely.
    If I were to chose a favorite Safari outfit Roger wore, it's this one. His hair looks really good in these scenes as well. I think this is the first Bond in which Roger Moore's hair is starting to look a bit longer. He probably could have worn it FYEO style with this length.
    Bond is more than willing to put himself out of element is it means saving the free world. He doesn't bat an eye when opting to get onto the Moonraker Space Shuttle. He's got Holly there to train him and guide him regardless.
    It would have been funny to see Roger's Bond puke here.
    The space scenes are pretty damned amazing really in terms of visual effects.
    Mickey G's cameo. Gogol has a tiny role in this one. I miss his character, though. Those were the days: Gogol, Frederick Gray, . I miss those regulars. Today we have the Scooby Gang.
    Bond looks like he's wearing yellow Converse All Stars.
    Comfy shoes. I had a pear of black ones I wore for years.
    Drax is going to destroy the entire human race. I so hope Safin has a larger than life plot. I feel we haven't really gotten that type of plot in a Craig film.
    I like Jaws changing sides. The laser battle isn't too bad, though I wouldn't drag on any longer than it is.
    Bond reminds me a bit of Gil Gerard's Buck Rogers here.
    The Drax demise. Love this bit.
    "At least I shall have the pleasure of putting you out of my misery."
    Drax had some great lines. A superb Bond villain, IMO.
    Classic viewing of MR!
    NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN

I love Barbara Carrera .... Easily my favorite female Bond villain.
    She just pounded Pettachi. I vividly remember this scene in the cinema and her spotting Bond through her night vision lenses. "Oh, yes. 007."
    I thought Connery looked really old in that shot.
    Pat Roach is another favorite. He gives Bond as good a thrashing as he gave Indiana Jones.
    Felix!!! Forget the soup!
    I wonder if Felix was heating up some conch chowder?
    I didn't end up finishing my posting on NSNA, as I was pretty tired after work.
    The Dyson/Zaritsky debate video today got me in the mood for
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS.
    I really never tire of this one, and no doubt I'll be watching it again soon when my 2000 SE DVD arrives in the mail. I'm looking forward to comparing the color timing.
    I still feel the old CBS/FOX transfer looked the truest to the cinematic prints.
    The Blu-ray is quite sharp and crisp though.

When Q hits his head on the Aston Martin it sounds like he says
    "Good morning, 007! Aw, sh*t!"
    When I was a kid Dalton's rendition of "Rule Britannia" reminded me of that bit in BON VOYAGE CHARLIE BROWN (AND DON'T COME BACK) where they arrive in England.
    Bond visits Kara's apartment. Too bad they had to rush, he could have offered to make her some quiche. That would have been funny.
    Some amazing back projection as Bond and Kara argue on whether or not to retrieve her cello.