The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

The iconic Silva speech sequence.
    I just realized I've never watched this film with any of the audio commentaries. I'll have to remedy that sometime.
    Bardem has some amazing facial expressions in this scene. I remember the audience roaring with laughter throughout this scene.
    I've always liked it.
    Bond and Silva stroll out into the sunlight. In this particular scene, I don't think Craig is filmed flatteringly.
    Poor Severine. Great Bond girl.
    I must admit the first time I saw this I took a sip of my beverage and completely missed she had been shot by SIlva.
    THE DARK KNIGHT sequence.

Bardem is a quite a solid villain, IMO. I do hope Saffin will be memorable.
    This scene almost feeds fuel to the code-name theory in a way in that Silva was an alias name.
    I loathe that, actually.
    I do love the rapport between Bond and Q during the underground train sequence.
    This may be my favorite scene in the film.
    Damn I love this section of the movie. Craig walking through each compartment following Silva.
    Meanwhile M is being reamed a new one by Helen McCrory. RIP.
    "Just for the sake of variety". I love that line.
    Fiennes is great. He's my new favorite M.
    Well, not really, but I do like him.
    Rory Kinnear has some groundbreaking facial expressions during M's speech. This is wonderful.
    Mallory steps up to the plate and takes a bullet for M.
    He probably should have taken her to his home as a safe house instead.
    Bond just gets her killed. LOL.
    I love Whishaw as Q.
    One great scene after another.
    Bond stops to take a pee and reflect on life.
    I'm assuming that's why they've stopped the Aston Martin in the middle on nowhere.
    I love the locations and cinematography on this film. Great looking Bond epic scale.
    Lesson learned: M should never go out in the field unless a Bond other than Craig is there for protection.
    I wonder if NTTD will end with Craig weeping? This is quite moving as we'd had 17 years of Judi Dench's M.
    Never fear, she'll be back in the next film. Yay!!!!!!
    Astonishingly good viewing of SF.
    James Bond Will Return in SPECTRE as will nearly the entire music score for this film.
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

Just received my 2000 SE DVD and have it playing now.
    I'd have to compare back to back, but I think the Lowery version is just slightly zoomed in. Not by much but this seems to have a little more information.
    The colors are much brighter and closer to the cinematic version, as I remember.
    I believe the CBS/Fox laser disc was the most true in terms of the colors, however that version was pan and scan.

The colors really pop here, especially the PTS. The volume levels are hotter as well. Don't need to crank it as high.

The titles are substantially different. Not as greenish.
    AAAAAHHH THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 15,842
    Lovely GIRL with the CELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think tomorrow I'll go around talking like Tim, and emphasize certain words with extreme intensity.

Plenty of time for a SNIPER to make STRAWBERRY JAM OF HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I far prefer this transfer to the Lowery edition. No question. Even though the Blu-ray is sharper, these colors are far better, IMO.
    The audience in 1987 roared with laughter at Q's ghetto blaster joke.
    I had a ghetto blaster back in 1987. It was great! I listened to my Bond soundtrack cassettes on it.
    Great sound, as well. Very bright and crisp.
    The safe house scene looks just like it did in the cinema.
    The gunbarrel blood looked good, too.
    Obviously this does have a softer look, but the colors more than make up for that, IMO.

Green Four got his ass kicked, but he did put up a good fight.

Green Four is sporting the 1987 standard MI6 haircut as Ronson had sported the 2012 standard MI6 haircut.
    I miss the Minister of Defence with Robert Brown's M.
    Geoffrey Keen was great. I also think this might be Robert Brown's best performance as M.
    Dalton's Bond is quite respectful of Q .
    Back in 2006 when I purchased each of the new UE box sets I traded in my old SE DVDS.
    For the most part I liked what Lowery did, but TLD, and especially GE I was disappointed . I think the 2009 DVD of NSNA looks like the Lowery TLD transfer. That, too had a muted palette, which feeds fuel to the belief that NSNA was a dull looking film. I remember it being quite colorful in the cinema, actually. Later home video editions never did it justice.
    As Bond and Kara arrive in Vienna the blue inverness capes worn by the hotel staff really pop as they did in the cinema. Same with the dress Kara admires.

Whitaker is enjoying a hearty meal.
    Bond is whispering to Kara " One of the actors on stage has his fly undone".

Years ago I did a play when that happened to one of the actors. It was pretty damned funny and I laughed as much as Dalton just did in this scene.
    If Roger Moore were on that roller coaster with Kara, I'm sure we'd hear his iconic
    OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    I love the Saunders death scene.
    Tim gets pissed off here. I love his intensity.
    Bond is trying to spy on Pushkin as performers dance in his face.
    Bond really thrashed Pushkin's bodyguard after distracting him with Rubavitch.
    Bond wears his shoulder holster over his bear chest inside his shirt. Odd.
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 15,842
    I kind of like John Terry's Felix. If his hair were a straw color I think he'd look fairly close to Fleming's Leiter. I think he's got the right build, actually.