The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

I love the M scene here in the rain. Again, Craig looks great. Love the overcoat.

This film really moves fast.

I'm wearing my navy blue polo in honor of Craig's. Fight with whathisname is reminiscent of OHMSS.

Mickey G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Olga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Camille, to this day is my favorite Craig era Bond girl.

Dominic Greene reminds me a bit of Klaus Maria Brandauer's Largo. That's a compliment, as I like Brandauer's Largo very much. Greene is an underrated villain.

Camille is great. Very Fleming-esque character, IMO and wonderfully cast.
    The Craig era has had the best leading lady Bond girls in ages, IMO.

Medrano is another solid villain, IMO
    This is where Bond effs up Camille's plans..................and we get another underrated action sequence. I love the boat chase here. It's a lot of fun.
    Medrano's reaction is priceless.
    The action scenes in this film do not overstay their welcome.
    Wonder scenery here. Bond carries Camille and unloads her on an unsuspecting stranger.
    Great bit.
    Tanner has some amazing facial expressions. I'm glad Rory is back for the new film. An excellent Tanner, IMO. He also make a great Frankentein Monster. Excellent actor.

David Harbour!!!! Greg Beam is a legend!

As is Felix portrayed by Wright.

Damn I'm thrilled about Felix coming back!!!!
    If I had to pick a favorite Arnold cue it's the bit as Bond arrives at the opera. Wish I still had my copy of this soundtrack. Most of my CD's got left behind in a move a few years ago.

Bond steals a perfect dinner suit, looking like Connery's in DR NO.
    WHERE THE F.... is my tux??? I love that guy's expression as he's checking the locker doors.

I love the Arnold music here.
    Elvis is getting aroused at the opera. That shot is funny.

It's a pity this film wasn't more appreciated in 2008. One great scene after another, IMO.

So what the hell has this been doing so low in my rankings? Perhaps I watched it so much in 2008/2009 I got burnt out?

Hard to say, but I will be remedying that shortly.

Mathis and Bond hanging out. Craig has the best wardrobe of his entire era in this film, IMO. I love the sweater.

One day, back in 2009, I put together a facsimile of Craig's outfit here: beige slacks, white shirt, sunglasses and dark cardigan. I walked around the city in this outfit complete with my QoS haircut. Low and behold I found $100 laying on the sidewalk. Five twenty dollar bills rolled up. I looked around.....the streets were deserted that bright summer day as it was a holiday. That $100 found a new home. The previous night I had won a game of Texas Hold'em. Never played before so it was total luck

I took my winnings and purchased my first widescreen HDMI television and popped in QOS.

Damn that was a great day.

• edited April 2019 Posts: 15,843
    Camille effs up Greene's conversation here at the party. Funny bit. The humiliated look on Amalric's face is priceless. We need more party sequences in Bond. Felix is hanging out.
    Bond disposes of Mathis' body in the trash. LOL!

Actually it's a pretty moving scene. Wonderful performances by everyone involved here, especially Olga's understated reactions.
    Bond and Camille take a classic old school plane. WWII era?
    Either way it's pretty cool.

Here's an action sequence I hadn't been too kind to recently, but am enjoying it here.

Bond and Camille parachute. Not exactly the MR sequence, but much better than I have given it credit for.
    So I reach the climax. Great fight sequences here, and Camille and Bond part ways.
    I suppose the lack of a romance may have polarized fans.

Here is the 007 in New York bit. SIT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig means business. I remember friends at the time mentioning this location was in one of the BOURNE films and that QoS was trying to be too much like a BOURNE entry. Whatever. I barely remember those films, really.

GUNBARREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like Arnold's Bond theme here.

Great viewing of this unfairly dismissed entry! I loved every frame!

In honor of the Bond coming out of retirement/ out of active service theme ............I'm popping in

NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN

I've never purchased the Blu-ray for this film, but am watching the 2008 special edition. The transfer looks dark and muted like Lowery's work on THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS.

I don't care for the Orion logo, cheapens the whole experience. I loved the red/orange 1970's Warner Bros logo that originally started the film.

I do prefer the earlier transfers of this film, honestly.

Largo kind of looks like a dork in the SPECTRE meeting. Still, a solid villain, IMO.

The Shrublands scenes are pretty funny still.

Connery wears a lot of pull overs here.
    Fatima scene and shark underwater bit. I don't mind Legrand's jazzy score here.
    I'd love to see Craig underwater in scuba gear. I don't think we've had that. If the next film really is his last, then he and Lazenby would be the only Bonds who didn't scuba dive. Connery, Tim and Craig would be the only one's who didn't ski.

Bond trapped and surrounded by sharks. I remember in the cinema this was pretty intense and exciting. Bond in peril.

Today the sharks would probably be CGI courtesy of DAYLIGHTS' Belle Avery.
    I never did see THE MEG which she produced, but there was an interview on YouTube with her about the film.

Okay, here is my favorite scene.................Bond in dungarees. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    In honor of B25, and Daniel Craig's groundbreaking haircut at the press conference
    Well said. Head and shoulders above the rest; a head of its time etc.
    I'm jamming to the titles now. To this day I don't know the lyrics to this song, but I still like it. Something something on a dime............a phone on the table..........bla bla bla.......another way to die. I think Jack White and Alicia Keyes must have had a blast recording this, though.

This leads to praise for the titles themselves. I really like this title sequence, especially the orange gunbarrel dots throughout.
    I enjoy the song, and love the titles. The titles are unfairly treated because of the infamously unliked song attached to it.
    Fight with whathisname is reminiscent of OHMSS.
    Edmund Slate. Excellent, visceral fight.
    MGW actually acknowledges Bond! Is this the only time in the series?

Camille's my favourite Craig girl too, by a fair margin. I might say QOS has my two fave Craig girls along with the lovely Fields. Solange trails close behind.
    Tanner has some amazing facial expressions. I'm glad Rory is back for the new film. An excellent Tanner, IMO. He also make a great Frankentein Monster. Excellent actor.
    Yes, he was superb in PD. Love his reaction when Bond's phone pics are sent through. Hope he has a bit more banter with Bond in B25.

Gregg pauses to appreciate flight attendant Anna's butt right in his face, then when she struts off, Felix sneaks in a little perv like he doesn't wanna get caught by her, or Beam. So stoked Wright is back!
    If I had to pick a favorite Arnold cue it's the bit as Bond arrives at the opera. Wish I still had my copy of this soundtrack. Most of my CD's got left behind in a move a few years ago.

WHERE THE F.... is my tux??? I love that guy's expression as he's checking the locker doors.

When I think of QOS score, I immediately think of the Tosca intro. Beautiful moment. I'm waiting for the Tosca DVD to arrive in the mail. I think it would be cool to pause QOS during the opera; watch the Tosca DVD (it's longer than QOS though, at 125 minutes!) then continue with QOS.

Craig means business. I remember friends at the time mentioning this location was in one of the BOURNE films and that QoS was trying to be too much like a BOURNE entry. Whatever. I barely remember those films, really.

Superb end scene, and this might be for the controversial thread, but I do like the gun barrel sequence, with its bare, sterile barrel design and the incorporated 'Q'. Craig paces across the screen, keeping in line with the 'like a bullet' theme.
    QBranch wrote: »
    In honor of B25, and Daniel Craig's groundbreaking haircut at the press conference
    Well said. Head and shoulders above the rest; a head of its time etc.
    I'm jamming to the titles now. To this day I don't know the lyrics to this song, but I still like it. Something something on a dime............a phone on the table..........bla bla bla.......another way to die. I think Jack White and Alicia Keyes must have had a blast recording this, though.

This leads to praise for the titles themselves. I really like this title sequence, especially the orange gunbarrel dots throughout.
    I enjoy the song, and love the titles. The titles are unfairly treated because of the infamously unliked song attached to it.
    Fight with whathisname is reminiscent of OHMSS.
    Edmund Slate. Excellent, visceral fight.
    MGW actually acknowledges Bond! Is this the only time in the series?

Camille's my favourite Craig girl too, by a fair margin. I might say QOS has my two fave Craig girls along with the lovely Fields. Solange trails close behind.
    Yes, he was superb in PD. Love his reaction when Bond's phone pics are sent through. Hope he has a bit more banter with Bond in B25.

Gregg pauses to appreciate flight attendant Anna's butt right in his face, then when she struts off, Felix sneaks in a little perv like he doesn't wanna get caught by her, or Beam. So stoked Wright is back!

When I think of QOS score, I immediately think of the Tosca intro. Beautiful moment. I'm waiting for the Tosca DVD to arrive in the mail. I think it would be cool to pause QOS during the opera; watch the Tosca DVD (it's longer than QOS though, at 125 minutes!) then continue with QOS.

Superb end scene, and this might be for the controversial thread, but I do like the gun barrel sequence, with its bare, sterile barrel design and the incorporated 'Q'. Craig paces across the screen, keeping in line with the 'like a bullet' theme.

I've warmed to the gunbarrel look myself. I really do appreciate Arnold keeping with tradition here, though. QUANTUM was great when I watched it a couple days ago.

My viewing of NSNA was interrupted by the necessity to run to the store for milk. So I let the film play after catching Fatima's demise. Overall another enjoyable viewing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    TWINE gives us an excellent Title Song and Title Sequence.

Yes, really enjoy those.
    TWINE gives us an excellent Title Song and Title Sequence.
    Agreed.
    DR NO

In honor of Jamaica.
    So Bond's Beretta jammed on him and he spent half of 1961 in the hospital. I can only imagine he quite enjoyed the attention only 007 would get from the many nurses. Not to mention hospital food scrambled eggs.

This remains my favorite M scene in the series.

This tends to be one of my go-to Bonds. Always ranked quite high as well.

Connery looks great in this one.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 15,843
    I was at a Bond marathon in Seattle about 20 years ago and before this film showed the announcer mentioned the shot of the Pan Am plane landing was actually stock footage of Boeing airport with Mt Rainier in the background. Not so sure I believe that from the angle it is shot. Maybe Seatac Airport. The mountain in the back does look a bit like Rainier. I'll have to do some research.
    nw_l-1049_seattle.jpg?sfvrsn=f75da421_2
    I was at a Bond marathon in Seattle about 20 years ago and before this film showed the announcer mentioned the shot of the Pan Am plane landing was actually stock footage of Boeing airport with Mt Rainier in the background. Not so sure I believe that from the angle it is shot. Maybe Sea-tac Airport. The mountain in the back does look a bit like Rainier. I'll have to do some research.

That didn't take long. It WAS indeed Sea-tac International Airport in 1962. Very cool.
    northwest-airlines-hangar-and-douglas-dc-3-at-sea-tac-airport-1948.jpg
    The plane passes this hangar.
    Back to the film. Bond thrashed Mr Jones. Wonder if this location looks the same now? Perhaps On the Tracks of 007 will find it one day?
    Bond's first gadget, the Geiger counter. Always liked it. I must admit I like the minimal gadgetry in the early films. Or when there is just one main gadget like the Rolex in LALD. Of course he has the hairbrush and other items used in the hotel.
    My favorite all time Bond gadget is the attache case. Pity it got so worn out all those years.

My fave chase scene: Bond vs the Three Blind Mice. I'd like to see a chase scene on this stretch of road in B25. Wonder if it looks the same?
    If it was up to me you’d never see a gadget in the series.

I like gadgetry in the series, but more simplistic. I felt like the gadgets in the Pierce films were not only over done, but not much new, except for the then high tech cell phone.
    Bond having a new gadget filled car in each film really gets old, IMO.

I really like it when he just uses one or two small items from Q Branch.
    Bond puts on his favorite record. In a cut scene he strips down to his shorts and dress shirt and starts dancing around Taro's apartment singing to Under The Mango Tree.
    I love Bond's delivery of

"Listen both of you. There are no such things as DRAGONS. What you saw is something that looked like one. Now I'm trying to think what it WAS."

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 13,994
    DR NO

In honor of Jamaica.
    Good call with the Jamaica nod. I was considering celebrating 'Bond in the tropics' with some prop photos from DN, TB, CR etc.
    So Bond's Beretta jammed on him and he spent half of 1961 in the hospital. I can only imagine he quite enjoyed the attention only 007 would get from the many nurses. Not to mention hospital food scrambled eggs.
    The dialogue in that hospital scene could write itself:

Cute nurse: "How are you feeling, Mr Bond?"

Bond: "Oh, I healed ages ago."
    If it was up to me you’d never see a gadget in the series.

I like gadgetry in the series, but more simplistic. I felt like the gadgets in the Pierce films were not only over done, but not much new, except for the then high tech cell phone.
    Bond having a new gadget filled car in each film really gets old, IMO.

I really like it when he just uses one or two small items from Q Branch.
    As you can guess from my username, I love the gadgets - they don't usually ruin the film for me, unless the Deus ex machina is too blatant. However, I also love it when there are only a couple of gadgets in the film, like DN, FRWL, QOS, SF and Bond must use his wits instead. Can't wait to see what they come up with for B25 though.
    I love Bond's delivery of

"Listen both of you. There are no such things as DRAGONS. What you saw is something that looked like one. Now I'm trying to think what it WAS."
    Little did Bond know, that he would later use one as a step ladder.
    With CR tonight, I will have finally watched every EON Bond film (and NSNA, twice!) at least once this calendar year (I’ve doubled about five of them). Such an excellent entry; so fresh and masterfully put together. Each time I watch this one I become more convinced that, much as I love QOS, the producers should have just gone forward, straight to Connery-level Bond. No more Vesper, no more looking into Bond’s past, no more “becoming Bond”. Actually, QOS could have easily been trimmed of the Vesper angle, and probably been better for it. I’d be fine with Mr. White following through, along with the expansion of Quantum, but without looking back more than in the most cursory way. SF stands well on its own, but again I’d cut the personal angles with Bond, his childhood, Kincade and the Skyfall estate.

That's an interesting point. But if no Vesper in QOS, we wouldn't have that wonderful scene on the plane with Mathis, my favourite in the whole movie! Think Fleming would have approved of that sequence too!