The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Love the way Puskin pronounces 'smiert spionam?! Incredulously
    edited April 2019 Posts: 2,721
    I like how the camera slowly creeps into Pushkin as he's on his knees and the gun pushes into shot near his head and says 'then I must die...'
    Heading down to a docked boat is a very Bondian thing. Dr No, Thunderball, LALD, TLD, LTK
    "You mean this is a put up job?"
    Love the way Koskov gloats 'I told you the British believed me! I told you!'
    A 1940s noirish feel to the room Kara drugs Bond in. In her gown she has a Veronica Lake feel
    Even though the set is a bit Barney Miller I do like Kamran Shah flipping the bird, Kara smashing soldier over the head with a bucket and dragging them into cells. And kara's line about being free and Bond's response.

Also - handcuffs to the nose is nice and nasty.
    I know I'm in the minority but I like the Afghanistan sequences. Brings an exotic flavour and also wider scope to the adventure. Feels like globetrotting Bond in full effect.
    That sunrise shot of people on horses is striking every time. Especially with the accompanying music. Barry's score is so varied on TLD. One of my favourites. Dangerous, romantic, sweeping, exotic, suspenseful. it has it all.
    One thing with this film is I always feel invested in the narrative. This comes from Dalton, in his films he is engaged in every scene. Every movement has purpose. While I understand some may find him lacking in humour or suaveness - I don't think you could every accuse him of phoning it in or acting as if the material is beneath him.
    Love that shot of the net full of packages with Necros and bond attached sliding out of the back of the plane, this kind of inventiveness in action sequences has been missing a little in the recent ones.
    Dalton's face is priceless after that struggle with Necros and surviving the net flailing about and he lands inside the plane again...only to hear the beeping of the bomb...great stuff.
    The bridge coming down to the dramatic music...more than a bit of David lean about this. Bridge on the river Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia.
    Surely they could have landed the plane on that road to Karachi...
    After the first couple of shots bounced off the shield Bond should have shot a torso or knee of Whitaker
    Koskov still being slippery right up until the end.

John Barry cameo. Fittingly as the conductor.
    "We had some trouble at the airport."
    Oh James...

Into the end credits.

The Living Daylights is my happy place (along with DN and FRWL) there is something exciting and comforting at the same time. It was my gateway Bond film. The first one I saw on the big screen. Dalton is pure class and I think it's the best looking film John Glen did. The music is perfection. Enjoyable every time.
    Great write up on DAYLIGHTS, @Major_Boothroyd . I've always loved that film.

I need to get back to this thread. As tomorrow is Cubby's birthday I may be due to pop in some Bond. Pity I have to work tonight......
    Cheers @ToTheRight ! It was a great watch as always. Look forward to seeing which Bond film you settle on to celebrate the great man's birthday!
    Cheers @ToTheRight ! It was a great watch as always. Look forward to seeing which Bond film you settle on to celebrate the great man's birthday!

Back to the beginning with DR NO.
    In honor of Bond's upcoming return to Jamaica.

Here we go................
    I absolutely love the titles.

Three Blind Mice.............in the road.................

Great opening, IMO.

Strangways is pretty suave.

His secretary is very nice indeed.
    W6N W6N............

Everyone is dashing, including the chap who says "I'm looking for Mr James Bond."

Is this due to Terence Young, or 1962 in general?

Either way, I should get into my DeLorean and go back to 1962 to find out.

Bond sings to Moneypenny.
    If I had to pick one favorite M scene in the entire series this is it.
    There are many great ones: GF, TB and especially OHMSS, and several with Judi Dench, but this one just does it for me.
    Bond enters his flat. Seems he likes the color green. When I was 14 my folks bought a house with my grandmother. One of the bedrooms was painted the same green as Bond's. I initially chose that for my room, but my grandmother took it giving me a larger room instead. She bought me some furniture, an old school desk and chair to make it look like Bond's flat. She was wonderful with those little details. Tomorrow would have been her birthday.
    I also wanted my room to look like Bogart's apartment in THE MALTESE FALCON as I as just getting into film noir at the time.
    Those were the days.

Bond thrashes Mr Jones.

Great scene. He swings with one arm and hits with the other like Willis Jackson.
    I like people who's friends of people.

I wonder how many friends Quarrel would have if Facebook were around in 1962?
    I love the glare Bond gives Quarrel as he heads into the private room.
    Great little fight here.

JUMP UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my favorite Bond songs of all time. I should learn it, start a band and make it a standard at gigs.
    Jack Lord is pretty damn cool as Felix.

Okay here's a scene I always liked: Bond visits Dent at his office. I like seeing Bond do some detective work.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Okay here's a scene I always liked: Bond visits Dent at his office. I like seeing Bond do some detective work.

I would've enjoyed Lord getting another go as Felix, it's a shame he demanded so much for his return.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I would've enjoyed Lord getting another go as Felix, it's a shame he demanded so much for his return.

HARRY SALTZMAN and ALBERT R BROCCOLI present JACK LORD in Ian Fleming's GOLDFINGER...................with Sean Connery
    Bond preps Taro's apartment for Dent's arrival.

I love scenes like this where we see Bond prepare for his next course of action. The famous Dent scene.
    Bond sings. Connery could pull it off. I really can't picture any other Bond joining his leading lady in song as a way to break the ice.