The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Penelope Smallbone's only appearance. It's interesting how later in the Moore era they try re-integrating the hat toss, even though he rarely dons a hat.
    Sotheby's what a fantastic scene. Timely as I'm up to Property of a Lady in my Bondathon through the Novels. Fanning is a nice little character that I enjoy each time.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,347
    Backgammon scene another classic, probably in my top 20 overall scenes, top 3 Bond-Villain introductions. Major Clive is another nice bit character that just adds to the scene.

Double sixes, fancy that.

Apparently the 200,000 rupees Khan lost today equates to under $3k USD. At OP's release date it was worth ~$20k USD.
    I enjoy OP more and more with each viewing, but there are two things that stand out that I don't think will ever sit well with me. Overly cartoony portrayal of India during the tuk-tuk chase and the following Q scene which is overly juvenille.
    Barry's score during the Magda dinner and bedding scene is just so perfect.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    My favorite scene is between Bond and Orlov.

Berkoff is fantastic as Orlov!

On the sheep's head dinner scene right now. Kamal quite literally chews up the set, he is definitely in my top 5 villains, so underrated in my opinion.
    Actually don't mind the jungle scene. Is it pushing the boundries of camp to its limits? Sure. But I can have fun with it. Siiiiiiiitttt!
    I read the Octopussy short story for the first time yesterday. Crazy how they tell the entire story in a quick dialogue during Bond and Octopussy meeting for the first time. The conversation had very little impact on me until now. Before reading the story it was just 'ok, Octopussy likes Bond because something he did for her father'.

Mr. Bond, you have a nasty habit, of surviving!
    Fun fact, Michael G Wilson has a screenwriter credit for 5 films (all the Glen films). All five of them have the Bond ally die, Mickey & Glen were a ruthless combination.

RIP Vijay
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,347
    Orlov & Bond scene @Birdleson mentioned. Great scene. Also a brutal killing when the guard walks in on them and Bond shoots point blank in the forehead.
    And that's for 009. OP has an odd blend of seriousness and humor, but I find it blends much better than say TMWTGG which tonally is jarring for me (still like TMWTGG, but it doesn't have the near top 10 status OP has for me)
    Some of the exterior shots of Octopussy's palace have a studio-bound feel to it, but the indoor scenes hold up well. I am liking this finale better than usual.
    Go out, and get him.
    Out there????

Some of these plane shots are truly breathtaking.
    In... Out... In... Out... In... Out...

Cue the sax! Outros to Rog films always have a way of making you feel good.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Penelope Smallbone's only appearance. It's interesting how later in the Moore era they try re-integrating the hat toss, even though he rarely dons a hat.

I thought that was a bit weird. But a nice throwback.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 15,818
    Great write up, @MooseWithFleas!

Now I'm in the mood for OCTOPUSSY. Lets see if I have time to finish this before heading out to Easter dinner...................

I must admit one of my favorite Barry Roger gunbarrels. The music is timed perfectly with the movements on the screen: the dots, the gunshot, the wavering of the image from left to right.

Bond in a mustache. Mustaches were huge in 1983: Magnum P.I., Stacy Keach was rocking one in the Mike Hammer pilot.

Today the trend is short buzzed hair and huge ZZ Top beards.
    Nevertheless, Roger in this film still looks like Roger.
    Had Roger's era gone like Craig's I estimate we would have only gotten:
    LALD, TMWTGG, MR, OP then he'd have stayed around for TLD.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I'd never given that a thought. It's true!

Sotheby's what a fantastic scene. Timely as I'm up to Property of a Lady in my Bondathon through the Novels. Fanning is a nice little character that I enjoy each time.
    Backgammon scene another classic, probably in my top 20 overall scenes, top 3 Bond-Villain introductions. Major Clive is another nice bit character that just adds to the scene.

Double sixes, fancy that.

Apparently the 200,000 rupees Khan lost today equates to under $3k USD. At OP's release date it was worth ~$20k USD.
    Great scenes.

Barry's score during the Magda dinner and bedding scene is just so perfect.
    I'd love to have that cocktail version of All Time High. I believe that's the last lounge music Barry composed for a Bond film.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I must admit one of my favorite Barry Roger gunbarrels. The music is timed perfectly with the movements on the screen: the dots, the gunshot, the wavering of the image from left to right.
    I think the arrangement is slightly dull (relatively speaking-- I love it all the same), but I agree that the timing is just perfect.

Bond in a mustache. Mustaches were huge in 1983: Magnum P.I., Stacy Keach was rocking one in the Mike Hammer pilot.
    Bring them back.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I think the arrangement is slightly dull (relatively speaking-- I love it all the same), but I agree that the timing is just perfect.

Bring them back.

Yes. There's nothing particularly "special" about this GB arrangement, which is why I like it. Just a classic typical example of Barry's strings for Roger.
    This is probably better suited for the controversial opinions thread, but Robert Brown is my 2nd favorite M after Bernard Lee.
    In this day and age the trend is to mix things up and re-invent classic characters, hence Whishaw's Q.
    However, I'm all for casting an actor who looks, sounds and pretty much IS a given character. Robert Brown fits the classic M type. Also I love the fact Sir Roger suggested to Cubby and Glen, his old buddy from THE SAINT and IVANHOE days Brown for M.
    THE PROPERTY OF A LADY

Well there are .........quite a few ladies here.

Roger is scoping the room out as he delivers the line.

Now there IS a lady.

If TPOAD ever does become the title of a film I would most certainly want an auction scene. This is one of my favorite bits in the film.
    I love Barry's score as the scene cuts from M to India.

Then Vijay's slightly out of key rendition of the Bond Theme.
    This is probably better suited for the controversial opinions thread, but Robert Brown is my 2nd favorite M after Bernard Lee.

Same here.
    One of my favorite Q scenes. Bond really needles Q throughout. Great Q lab set as well.
    I'd like to see an elaborate Q lab in an exotic location again sometime.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mattjoes wrote: »

Same here.

And over here.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 15,818
    The safari hunt scene is pretty funny. The Tarzan yell has always been a bit over the top silly, but it never bothered me. I wonder how many people today would understand the reference?
    In this day and age the trend is to mix things up and re-invent classic characters, hence Whishaw's Q.
    However, I'm all for casting an actor who looks, sounds and pretty much IS a given character. Robert Brown fits the classic M type. Also I love the fact Sir Roger suggested to Cubby and Glen, his old buddy from THE SAINT and IVANHOE days Brown for M.

I concur. Brown is a bit overlooked after Denchs appearance. But I much prefer him after the master Bernard Lee!
    In honor of B25, and Daniel Craig's groundbreaking haircut at the press conference I'm watching the criminally underrated masterpiece:

QUANTUM OF SOLACE.

Short PTS reminds me of the Connery era, actually Beautiful car chase,

I'm jamming to the titles now. To this day I don't know the lyrics to this song, but I still like it. Something something on a dime............a phone on the table..........bla bla bla.......another way to die. I think Jack White and Alicia Keyes must have had a blast recording this, though.

This leads to praise for the titles themselves. I really like this title sequence, especially the orange gunbarrel dots throughout.
    "You look like hell. When was the last time you slept?". She could be talking about me. Graveyards are getting to me I must admit.

Craig looks great in this one. I sure do like his haircut here.

Mr Whites looks good as well.
    Foot-chase. I feel like the only person in the universe who loves this section.
    Now they're on the rooftops. Good Arnold score here.

YAY!!! The PPK has returned. Welcome back old friend. Just for your appearance, QOS will as of today, up several notches in my rankings.

The scaffolding fight is great, IMO.