The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Another underrated 2nd outing:

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN

I really love the Bondless PTS.

NICK NACK! TOBASCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the end standing straight up in profile, Christopher Lee looks a bit like the letter "L"
    brought to you by Sesame Street.

You'll be the death of me yet, Nick Nack.

The titles are among my favorites. Often overlooked, especially compared to the brilliant tiles for LALD. However I find them pretty erotic.

The final time, if I'm not mistaken, we see the red leather padded door to M's office. From the next film on wards it would be brown, blue (in LTK) or maroon (in SP). Maybe it was brown in SP? I'll pop that one in sometime just to check. The colors on that film are so off, it's probably impossible to tell, anyway.

Bond swallows the bullet. Had that happened to the Moore of the later years, he'd make the OOHHHHHHHRRROOHHHH sound. I love this fight. Reminds me of The Saint and we actually see Roger's Bond bloodied here.
    Lazar is great. Marne Maitland is wonderful here. I absolutely love seeing Hammer Film actors in the Bonds of this period.

Christopher Lee to this day remains my all time favorite actor. Been so since I was about 8 years old. I used to rank this film at the bottom, but it's really climbed it's way up in the last 20 years.

James it's wonderful to see you.
    Bond doesn't seem that interested in Goodnight. Britt's an underrated Bond girl, IMO. I think she's great here.

The Andrea Anders interrogation scene. Does seem a bit like trying to turn Roger into Sean.
    Oh, Darling I'm tempted. But killing a few hours as one of your passing fancies isn't quite my scene.

Great line. Followed by Roger's wonderful facial expression. Bond dissed.

Forgive me, Darling. Your turn will come I promise.
    In honor of the bag of peanuts Bond buys while hanging out with his good buddy Scaramanga, I had to run into the kitchen and grab some peanuts to snack on while I watch this scene.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    In honor of the bag of peanuts Bond buys while hanging out with his good buddy Scaramanga, I had to run into the kitchen and grab some peanuts to snack on while I watch this scene.

Hope you didn t shoot someone as well.
    Years ago, a friend of mine and I popped into a vintage clothing store and I found an olive green safari shirt. Quite similar to Roger's here. My friend agreed it looked like something Roger Moore would wear. We then came back to my house and watched TMWTGG. We laughed our a$$es off during the Sheriff Pepper chase scene bits.
    My appreciation for this film grew substantially with that viewing.

Britt's WTF expression is priceless when Pepper grabs the walkie talkie.

Now you call my wife at the Narai Hotel and tell her I'm on a mission! I've been deputized!
    I think I like this car chase more than the Mustang chase in DIAMONDS.
    Ah, the famous spiral jump.

The slide whistle has never bothered me.

If this car chase hadn't been so obnoxious with Pepper and taken seriously, then I'd feel the whistle was out of place.

Bond attempts some sneaky Bond when Pepper shouts "Let go get 'em, boy!!!"

Roger's "shut the f*** up" expression is great.

Christopher Lee is the epitome of cool in his plane. I think I'll make this a Christopher Lee night. Popping in a Hammer Dracula later.
    I post this comment every time I watch this one. It would be like skipping the gunbarrel if I don't his time. So here goes:

Roger's jacket as he arrives on Scaramanga's island looks like something Jim Rockford would wear.

Hope you didn t shoot someone as well.

My peanut toting friend back there wouldn't like it.

I must say that was an excellent viewing of GOLDEN GUN. I remember my Dad renting this one when i was in 5th grade. At that point it was the only Bond film I hadn't seen and thus completed the series for me. I liked it a lot at the time in spite of most of the Bond film books ranking it so low. As far as I was concerned anything with Christopher lee was automatically elevated by his presence.
    edited June 2019 Posts: 45,489
    As far as I was concerned anything with Christopher lee was automatically elevated by his presence.

A very charismatic actor, with a magnetic screen presence. And among those who were offered the role of Dr No. Would have been interesting to see, although Wiseman was perfect.
    As far as I was concerned anything with Christopher lee was automatically elevated by his presence.

A very charismatic actor, with a magnetic screen presence. And among those who were offered the role of Dr No. Would have been interesting to see, although Wiseman was perfect.

And they wanted Jack Palance for Scaramanga, who would have been interesting, but Lee is perfect in the role!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

And they wanted Jack Palance for Scaramanga, who would have been interesting, but Lee is perfect in the role!

Yes, but still a shame we never got Palance as a Bond villain.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I imagine Palance as a tougher more physical villain like Sanchez or even Largo.
    I imagine Palance as a tougher more physical villain like Sanchez or even Largo.

He could have played a wide variety of villains. Could have been a great Dr No as well with his slightly oriental features. He did play the son of Genghis Khan in the excellent The Mongols.

71bH6PLsdfL._SY445_.jpg
    Palance, along with Lee has always been one of my heroes, and favorite actors.
    Some of the films he did during the '70s really varied in quality. I find MISTER SCARFACE (1977). for example difficult to get thru. Therefore, a Bond film with Palance at that time would have been great.
    I could see him as Scaramanga, Stromberg, Kristatos or General Orlov.
    IMO Jack Palance could do no wrong.
    Some of the films he did during the '70s really varied in quality. I find MISTER SCARFACE (1977). for example difficult to get thru. Therefore, a Bond film with Palance at that time would have been great.

Would also have made a great Red Grant or Blofeld.

Indeed. Imagine him as Blofeld going up against Sean in DIAMONDS. That would have been something.

Indeed. Imagine him as Blofeld going up against Sean in DIAMONDS. That would have been something.

Oh man, that clone scene would have been so creepy. Or as Grant if they had followed the lycanthropic theme from the book.

Oh man, that clone scene would have been so creepy. Or as Grant if they had followed the lycanthropic theme from the book.

He certainly had the build for Grant. I can see him barely flinching when being hit in the gut with brass knuckles. He'd probably grin afterwards.
    Watching LTK for the anniversary that’s in it. God I love this movie. I remember as a kid having to watch this behind my parents back because of the violence. It was so exciting, and still is!
    Fantastic pre titles. I love seeing Bond and Felix together in an action scene like this. I wish the franchise would do this some more, it’s refreshing to see Bond partnered up with a friend in the heat of battle.
    Seeing Tim himself lowered from the helicopter is incredible. What a fantastic stunt, what an amazing actor.
    Seeing Big Ed from Twin Peaks is such a delight. This movie has such an underrated cast. Davi and Del Toro are one of the best villain/henchmen acts of the series, get are so under appreciated.
    “You earned it. You keep it, old buddy.”
    The mantra ray disguise it a little out of place, but the “compliments of Sharkey” line more than makes up for it.
    “He’s had enough. Run a tab.”
    Dirty love!
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 6,813
    TR007 wrote: »
    Watching LTK for the anniversary that’s in it. God I love this movie. I remember as a kid having to watch this behind my parents back because of the violence. It was so exciting, and still is!

Agreed. Plan on watching it on Sunday as it's my birthday!! Possibly it and TLD, classic double bill
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Watching LTK now. Love the gun barrel music - so suspenseful.

The two guys talking in the surveillance plane - there's something off about how they speak.

Lupe and her little Valentine are fast asleep. You'd think after they do their thing, they'd split asap.

Sanchez knew the helicopter was after him, he should've done some fancy maneuvers to avoid being reeled in.

The title track is one of my favourites. It is special to me, as it was the first time I experienced anything Bond. I had a cassette back in 1990 which featured Ninja Turtles and other movie themes from that time. The inlay card didn't say the Gladys Knight song was from a James Bond film. All I knew was the song was from a film called Licence to Kill. I wouldn't officially discover Bond until nearly five years later, in early 1995, through watching the films on TV.

The title sequence here is simple; colourful. I'm not a fan of the most recent two, as they seem too dark and cluttered.

The sound effects for the film proper starts a few seconds early, cutting off the end of the song. I never liked that transition, it feels too rushed - especially after the first verse of the song was already cut out.

Della's very attractive. There's some great pictures of Barnes on the net.

Sanchez offers two million to whoever will help him escape. Hawkins watches Killifer to see how he reacts.

In the warehouse, Dario plays soccer with Felix' jacket.