Die Hard (1988 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm a big fan of Shane Black, so I do hope he's involved in the sixth film. Was the plot spoken of months ago (with John going to the Nakatomi fundraiser/anniversary) a rumor, or is that confirmed?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    A heavy rumour I would suggest. It's going to have to hark back to the first film in some way though, this being the last.
    I would hope so, but it won't surprise me if they screw up again and give us more trash. I think John going to a Nakatomi anniversary and having the same type of thing happen again would be excellent enough for me.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    edited March 2014 Posts: 578
    This film sucked. End of story.
    I wouldn't mind a better 6.
    Risico007 wrote:
    I wouldn't mind a better 6.

I don't think anyone would, and after the fifth film, I don't see how it would be possible for this film to be worse, especially if Black is helping.
  • As a huge fan of the Die Hard series, I believe the first three were actually Die Hard-esque. John McClane's funny, smokes, swears, and happens to be at the wrong place and the wrong time. He's also supported by a cool sidekick, his wife (to a certain degree), and a kickass story. Live Free or Die Hard and A Good Day to Die Hard threw all of these characteristics out the window. John McClane turns into a bald superman and shows no emotion and limited dialogue. LFODH was still a good standalone action movie, but AGDTDH was a mess. Nothing about it was enjoyable.

The series needs a proper conclusion, and there is a popular one floating on the internet. It involves McClane going to the Nagatomi anniversary and battling Hans's nephew. The script looks promising, but there's no word on Die Hard 6 at the moment. I think that Bruce Willis should take a year off and get his act together. He stopped acting since 2000, and he's been phoning it in since.
    Where is this script at?
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 5,767
    I´m not sure what to think of the idea of Shane Black as a consultant, and not as writer and director. On the one hand, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which he wrote alone and directed, is one of the funniest films ever made. On the other hand, I think that Black having other people over him on Iron Man 3 took away a bit of the momentum, making the role of a consultant or superviser all the more influencial. And Black´s films look like he invented 80s action thriller comedies, he definitely would be the man if they want to go back to the roots.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 12,837
    http://whatculture.com/film/die-hardest-screenwriter-ben-trebilcook-exclusive-interview-everything-need-know-die-hard-6.php

This sounds ace. The writer of the new one seems to have a much better grasp on who John Mcclane is than the people behind the last two films and I like how he said his inspiration for it was the first film. Plus, Sam Jackson and Bonnie are coming back.

The fourth film was a bit disappointing and didn't really feel like Die Hard (I still prefer it to DH 2 though simply because it's much more exciting) and the last film was crap but I think this one is looking quite good.

The one person (besides Willis and maybe his daughter if she has a reason for being in the film) who I want returning from DH 5 is the composer. The score was the highlight of the film because it actually sounded like a Die Hard score, unlike 4.0.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 6,396
    I do like the sound of that plot. Bringing everything full circle back to the first film is a great way to round things off. I would rather see Al Powell return for this rather than Zeus though.

Let's see if my appetite is reignited if and when this film is released after the bloody awful 5th film.

He was very diplomatic in giving his views on the last film. Bascially, that is translated as "It was utter shit but I can't insult my potential employers". ;-)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    http://whatculture.com/film/die-hardest-screenwriter-ben-trebilcook-exclusive-interview-everything-need-know-die-hard-6.php

This sounds ace. The writer of the new one seems to have a much better grasp on who John Mcclane is than the people behind the last two films and I like how he said his inspiration for it was the first film. Plus, Sam Jackson and Bonnie are coming back.

The fourth film was a bit disappointing and didn't really feel like Die Hard (I still prefer it to DH 2 though simply because it's much more exciting) and the last film was crap but I think this one is looking quite good.

The one person (besides Willis and maybe his daughter if she has a reason for being in the film) who I want returning from DH 5 is the composer. The score was the highlight of the film because it actually sounded like a Die Hard score, unlike 4.0.

Beltrami will probably return again. He scored the previous two entries. I think he was marshalled quite clearly on the fourth film to only reference Kamen's original themes whereas on AGTDH Moore let him loose to write a proper Die Hard score. Which is quite ironic considering how much of a mess Moore made of the rest of the film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I liked the interview and got excited, then I read the comments. Apparently this Trebilcook guy has a history of being a fraudulent big-talker when it comes to his screenwriting, like his claims that he created Lara Croft, and it seems like he has the same chance of getting his Die Hard 6 script bought to be filmed as me or you. In a perfect world it'd be a script I'd love to see if it's great, but this isn't a perfect world and from the looks of it his pitch will never see the time of day at Fox.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 6,396
    I liked the interview and got excited, then I read the comments. Apparently this Trebilcook guy has a history of being a fraudulent big-talker when it comes to his screenwriting, like his claims that he created Lara Croft, and it seems like he has the same chance of getting his Die Hard 6 script bought to be filmed as me or you. In a perfect world it'd be a script I'd love to see if it's great, but this isn't a perfect world and from the looks of it his pitch will never see the time of day at Fox.

I never even read up to that point. Oh dear, it seems this guy has delusions of grandeur.

This website states that Trebilcook is not even officially attached to the project according to a Fox spokesman, despite writing a script:

http://diehard.wikia.com/wiki/Die_Hardest
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I never even read up to that point. Oh dear, it seems this guy has delusions of grandeur.

This website states that Trebilcook is not even officially attached to the project according to a Fox spokesman, despite writing a script:

http://diehard.wikia.com/wiki/Die_Hardest

Yes, if the rumors are true and he hasn't even been in any negotiations whatsoever for the project, his "script" is nothing more than fan fiction. I've heard Die Hard 6 isn't even in serious development yet. A real shame.
    Sam Jackson back in the Die Hard fold and Nakatomi and Bonnie? Music to my ears! <:-P Maybe this will be set up as the final one then?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Sam Jackson back in the Die Hard fold and Nakatomi and Bonnie? Music to my ears! <:-P Maybe this will be set up as the final one then?

You didn't read the previous posts did you? I don't want to give your hopes up but that script idea reportedly isn't being considered by Fox and it's basically just fan fiction at this point. As far as I understand it this Trebilcook wrote the script as a way to end the franchise, but he hasn't been on Fox's payroll nor are they even considering the script as a viable continuation of the series.
    RogueAgent wrote:

You didn't read the previous posts did you? I don't want to give your hopes up but that script idea reportedly isn't being considered by Fox and it's basically just fan fiction at this point. As far as I understand it this Trebilcook wrote the script as a way to end the franchise, but he hasn't been on Fox's payroll nor are they even considering the script as a viable continuation of the series.

:(( Doh!!!! As Homer Simpson would say!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I know, right? Months ago I got excited when I heard the pitch for the story, thinking it to be the best conclusion to send the series off in, but then I also heard about this guy's reputation from being deceitful about his work and that Fox hadn't actually been speaking with him at all. I don't know what to think anymore.
    After all the bad noises on the last Die Hard I am still waiting for the retail price to drop before buying a dvd.

While I enjoyed the first 4 movies I cannot as yet comment on the badness orf nr. 5 or what I would like in 6.

But I do hope they'll never remake the series as Bruce Willis is John MacClane, like Stallone is Rambo & Rocky Balboa.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I know, right? Months ago I got excited when I heard the pitch for the story, thinking it to be the best conclusion to send the series off in, but then I also heard about this guy's reputation from being deceitful about his work and that Fox hadn't actually been speaking with him at all. I don't know what to think anymore.

Thinking exactly the same! :-q
    Real shame to hear that isn't an official plot at all. I agree, it would've been a fantastic send-off to the series.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I just came across this excellent article on how Bruce got the role. It's been on my mind since I rewatched it last night.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/29/die-hard-how-bruce-willis-changed-the-movies.html
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Very interesting reading @bondjames. :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yes, @Thunderpussy, it's amazing that Fox offered Willis $5m even though he didn't have much of a film career at the time.

I was also amused to see that some stars turned down the role apparently because McClane appeared a bit wimpy next to heroes of the day like John Rambo or Dutch (Predator). In the end, ironically, I believe it was McClane's 'every man' humanity and vulnerability which probably drew the audience to him (which I'll admit I only noticed on my back to back watches of DH/DH4 yesterday - he is much more real/human in the earlier film) and made the film successful and iconic.

It's an interesting look at how Hollywood works/worked.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think on one of the "making of" videos. Willis said Mcclane is an accidental hero, he's
    Not the type to volunteer, but when needed he's there. ;)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Die hard 5 stil haven't got his Dutch tv premiere yet and that is very strange. It is a Fox movie who is more then 3 year old. Mabey it wil be in Septeber, i hope there wil give DC version.
    @M_Balje, they probably haven't showed it on TV because they want to keep that trash away from as many eyes as possible.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Such a shame that A Good Day to Die Hard wasn't as good as Live Free or Die Hard... Hopefully the sixth film will be a return to form for John McClane.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    28 years ago today... Die Hard was released and we were introduced to Bruce Willis as John McClane.