Die Hard (1988 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's funny because I think they have it in their minds that they have to continue to go bigger, when they aren't listening to the fans: give us what 'Die Hard' was. Give us a great villain, great henchmen, a plausible location (ONE location), and have McClane against the odds. I don't need a country or a state, or even a city. Just give us one set building or area that McClane is trapped in.
    I bet the next one will feature the entire family in some sort of plot?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It's funny because I think they have it in their minds that they have to continue to go bigger, when they aren't listening to the fans: give us what 'Die Hard' was. Give us a great villain, great henchmen, a plausible location (ONE location), and have McClane against the odds. I don't need a country or a state, or even a city. Just give us one set building or area that McClane is trapped in.
    Yes, it's weird that they chose to ignore everything that was cool about the first one. Straight-ahead story. Memorable villains. Light and color. It always anew amazes me how beatifully shot the first one was.

@boldfinger, and it still stands as one of my favorite action films of all time that's hard to top. Willis downing cigarettes and bad guys at Nakatomi. It's perfect.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I never thought I'd say this but if DH6 is anything like DH2 (yes, DH2) we should consider ourselves blessed.
    doubleoego wrote:
    I never thought I'd say this but if DH6 is anything like DH2 (yes, DH2) we should consider ourselves blessed.

Absolutely. I know I'll be happy, at least.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I was talking to a good friend of mine on Saturday. I must confess his taste in movies can sometimes be questionable but he said it was one of the worst films he's ever seen. If he disliked it the film must be bad (I've still not seen it).
    doubleoego wrote:

I like DH2, I find it an enjoyable flick :(
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I like DH2, but until DH5 I considered it to be the weakest of the first four. I found the villains rather bland and with films like this, having a good villain is half the work. That's why the first worked so well.

But anyway, the only thing I liked about the fifth was the score by Beltrami. Still my favourite score so far this year.
    I liked the score too. It sounded like Kamens old scores, something I can't say about the 4th film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    @thelivingroyale it was unfortunate that it was barely audible thanks to the constant overbearing sound effects though.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 5,767
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I was talking to a good friend of mine on Saturday. I must confess his taste in movies can sometimes be questionable but he said it was one of the worst films he's ever seen. If he disliked it the film must be bad (I've still not seen it).
    No it wasn´t all that bad. I think as just films, 4 and 5 are not that bad. In terms of the title Die Hard, the question inevitably rises what reasons those two films offer to watch them.
    I liked the score too. It sounded like Kamens old scores, something I can't say about the 4th film.
    It had a score? Can´t remember anything from it. Oh wait, there was the 20th cnty fox logo at the beginning that then is attacked by the bad guy and suffers from interferences, right?

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bruce Willis opens up about those interviews over the last few months:

"Explosions one of the most boring parts of my job", adding: "When you have seen a few fireballs, it's not exciting any more. I know part of my audience enjoys the explosions, but to be honest, I'm a bit bored of it now."

He reportedly added: "I am very clear with who I am. I work in all sorts of films, but the action movies are the ones that generate the most revenue. I like to earn lots of money from those, but I do all types: small productions, mega-projects, medium-sized, even science fiction." Nevertheless, Willis said he did not "dance for joy" upon receiving movie pay cheques and “not because I am used to it, but because I only think about money in moments like this, when another person mentions that I am a rich man. I’m not someone who spends the whole day counting bank notes.”

Speaking to XLS magazine in Spain, hardman Willis also claimed he only cried “every so often” and one thing that prompted tears was sporting events.

Giving an example, he said: “During the Olympic Games. I always get emotional with the excitement of victory and the agony of the defeat. It really moves me to see people that overcome obstacles that look insurmountable. And my daughters also make me cry - but with laughter.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/bruce-willis-bored-action-movies-2158648
    Finally got round to watching DH5 last night. Forgive me if I've repeated what many have already said on this thread:

I remember Graham Rye once quoted Oscar Wilde after DAD

<i>"Charicature is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius"</i>

Well the same is definitely true here. McClane has finally reached his inevitable destination and become a generic action hero who no longer gets hurt when he encounters glass and seems to utter mostly one liners or wisecracks. It may have been passable if there had been an attempt to put together a half decent story but here that doesn't seem to be the case. It feels like the story was built around the action...most of which isn't all that great, During the truck chase near the beginning I kept thinking that Goldeneye did the whole "destructive chase in Russia" thing FAR better (at least they bothered to show that people hadn't been killed by the large vehicle hitting their car).

Willis looks pretty bored throughout. He's playing it cool but you can tell his heart isn't in it and he's there simply for the cheque.

A poor effort hurried together to satisfy the teenagers who haven't seen the original and were probably weaned on Jason Statham
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It bothered me that McClane was destroying countless vehicles as he rode over them, and whether he killed numerous civilians by doing so was not for one second referred to.
    At the end he flew back to the USA without having to answer to the destruction he caused. I know that every action film glosses over these minor details, but this was the first time it had ever jumped out at me so alarmingly.

I'm not sure who it was (possibly Pauline Kael) who coined the phrase 'chewing gum for the eyes'. I'm glad she didn't live to see DH5
    I think the notion that Die Hard 6 has received the green light, sends a shiver down my spine.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11,189
    @NicNac

I saw the Extended Version which ends with John talking to his son after they have killed all the bad guys. He doesn't go back to the US.

I'm presuming the graphic headshots and uses of the F-word were also not included in the theatrical version.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I think the notion that Die Hard 6 has received the green light, sends a shiver down my spine.

It doesn't to me. I actually feel effort will be put in, to end the series well. No one cared about this most recent one, they just wanted to get it over with and move onto number six.
    Samuel001 wrote:

It doesn't to me. I actually feel effort will be put in, to end the series well. No one cared about this most recent one, they just wanted to get it over with and move onto number six.

Besides, 'Die Hard 6' can't be worse than the fifth one, right?

...r-right?
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Quite and rumour has it the script is coming along well. Hopefully it's out by 2016. Let's get some old characters back.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Quite and rumour has it the script is coming along well. Hopefully it's out by 2016. Let's get some old characters back.

I really hope so. A return of old characters would be nice, too.
  • I want Alan, his daughter and his wife to be in it.

Not Jack though. Jack can piss off.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I want Alan, his daughter and his wife to be in it.

I just want a return of Holly McClane and Al Powell. those were the only reoccurring DH characters I liked.

Everyone from DH4 onward can piss off. :))
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 5,767
    I want Alan, his daughter and his wife to be in it.

I want all of them in it, plus the dude from DH4, plus Jackson. No more stupid family fighting, instead a family clan taking on the bad guy mafia. Yeah!

Well, Alan wouldn´t be cool, since he was no more than a blob of mud by the end of DH. But I want a similar elegance like those guys had in the first one.

Al Powell anytime. And Argyle, grown up, working as a chiropractor, and spending his weekends with his gf on the shooting range.

• When I said Alan, I meant Powell. I didn't mean Alan Rickman. Didn't they mention his full name was Alan? Or did I have that wrong?

Bringing back Jackson, Argyle, etc, would be too far imo. It'd just be a messy fanfest.

If they bought Jack back then we'd get more of the forced father son dynamic from Die Hard 5. I think he was a bad character anyway.
    Sam Jackson's character for me all day long should come back! I thought they played off each other brilliantly! :-bd
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I've not seen 5 but seriously you want 6? I've heard nothing but people slagging it off.

I won't waste my time on it, 4 was bad enough but I'll accept it ended there. If I did watch it and I've decided I won't I can see the same reaction that I had with Crystal Skull but some jokers want a follow up to that.

Can't you just accept when a franchise is dead and buried and stop hoping they'll pull out all the stops with another one, they won't it will be as bad if not worst than it's predecessor, you lot have got far too much time on your hands to be watching this crap.

Think of the classics you could discover instead of this utter Hollywood guff, why do I bother it's a wonder the film business is so bereft of quality when folks are still debating over this trash.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I think most people would agree that the series, like several others, had its peak a long time ago...but it would at least be good for them to end it on a high.

I'm not entirely convinced they will though. Willis's recent comments suggest that he's not exactly jumping with joy at the prospect of making another one.

I deliberately avoided this in the cinema as I'd heard pretty much universally bad reviews and only saw it after a friend gave me his copy.

It's not really a proper Die Hard film IMO. It's just a cheesy flat action flick. I was listening to a bit of the directors commentary earlier and from what I heard I got the sense they didn't think all that much of it either.
    http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=29992

In a new interview, "Die Hard 6" writer Ben Trebilcook revealed a few details about the new movie. He said: "Without spoiling too much, I can say that McClane (Bruce Willis) is invited to Tokyo by the Nakatomi Corporation to be commended for his bravery and efforts in saving 36 lives, celebrating this on the 30th anniversary of the Naktatomi Hostage Crisis. It's not a double-act buddy-buddy story. McClane began on his own and should end on his own. Of course he's had assistance in various guises, aiding him in his ventures; but it's not 'Lethal Weapon' or a Jackie Chan film."

Thank @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7.
    Now that sounds amazing :)
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Is Shane Black consulting on Die Hard 6?

According to a well placed source who is knowledgeable of the studio doings… Fox is saying they are VERY INTERESTED in hiring on Shane Black (LETHAL WEAPON, IRON MAN 3) as a consultant on the next Die Hard. Why, you may be asking yourself out there in Schmoeville? Well, because Shane is the guy that created the Lethal Weapon franchise, which shares a similar DNA with the first DIE HARD. And after the massive failure of A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD, the studio is wanting to get “back to the roots of the character of John McClane.”

From what I am hearing, Shane Black has been approached and has yet to sign on as a “consultant” so nothing is set in stone as of yet. Meaning, he’s not writing, he’s not directing, he is coming on to steer the character and franchise into a… better direction. Fox has been doing this a lot lately, looking at top level people to oversee their big franchises (Mark Millar oversees all the Marvel properties now). This would be a similar deal.

Up next for Shane Black is DOC SAVAGE (which he is writing and directing) so I can conceivably see this working out with his schedule.

http://schmoesknow.com/is-shane-black-consulting-on-die-hard-6