Die Hard (1988 - present)

Comments

• edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I thought it was good up until the safe house shootout, then it got worse and worse until the awful finale.

I quite liked the dancer guy. He had some cool lines and was entertaining.

He should've been the one main villian instead of
    the guy with the beard and his daughter. That was just stupid and we were left without a real main baddy.
    Benny wrote:
    If five is worse than four (how?) , then I'll be taking a wide berth.

It's wierd, because in some ways they improved on the 4th one and tried to steer it back towards the first three.

The music sounds more like Kamens old scores, Willis was playing Mcclane like he used to, etc.

Unfortunetly the script was terrible and most of the action scenes were ruined by bad editing and slow mo. The directing just wasn't very good and the film ended up as the worst one.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    MI:2 is one of the worst films I've ever seen; I was seriously laughing throughout the movie at how bad it was. Caught it late one night on the tube and was stunned at how ridiculous it was, especially after the first one portrayed Hunt as a spy.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The working title of Die Hard 6 is Die Hardest.

Ben Trebilcook is currently writing a treatment with a story which begins in New York, before moving to Tokyo, which will be the predominant location.

Trebilcook says “It is extremely faithful to the franchise and characters and is a natural progression. It's also a very plausible storyline.” He adds "I feel it could be the Rocky Balboa of the Die Hard franchise." This adds weight to the sixth film being the final one.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/exclusive-die-hard-6-gets-a-screenwriter-and-a-title
    Is that title really the best that they could come up with?

Calling it the Rocky Balboa of the franchise is hyping it up a bit too much. And after the last two I'm not sure I can believe them when they talk about it being faithful to the franchise.

I'm excited but skeptical.
    I can't be worse than five, I just hope it's a better film than only that one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Samuel001, I'm pretty sure that's just a rumor that has already been debunked.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I can't be worse than five, I just hope it's a better film than only that one.

I hope it's better than 4 and 2 as well, but that might be getting my hopes up a bit too much.

Die Hard 5 is probably the most disappointing film I've ever seen. Not the worst, but definitely the most disappointing.

In 2012 I was even looking forward to it more than Skyfall and look how that turned out.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Samuel001, I'm pretty sure that's just a rumor that has already been debunked.

Total Film aren't that reliable? They claim it as an exclusive.
    I was going off of this article when I stated that, which confirms that a few sources at Fox have debunked it and stated it was untrue:

http://www.slashfilm.com/die-hard-6-gets-a-possible-writer-location-and-working-title/
    Interesting. Perhaps I am wrong, then.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 40,500
    I just watched this movie for the first time...wh-what did I just view? Is this really the fifth entry in the series? This film literally screwed up every aspect of the 'Die Hard' universe. I can't even begin to complain about what I hated about this movie. There's just too much.

The only thing I liked: the car chase in Moscow. Not as bad as I expected.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just watched this movie for the first time...wh-what did I just view? Is this really the fifth entry in the series? This film literally screwed up every aspect of the 'Die Hard' universe. I can't even begin to complain about what I hated about this movie. There's just too much.

The only thing I liked: the car chase in Moscow. Not as bad as I expected.
    After IV I gave up on the franchise. The first Three are the best. IV and V are just action movie cash in's.
    @Murdock, I never had a problem with 'Live Free or Die Hard' - I enjoyed it and Willis and Long seemed to play off one another pretty well. It had an understandable plot, a central villain, side henchmen with different abilities, etc. 'A Good Day To Die Hard' throws all of that out the window: terrible acting with Willis (somehow) taking the back seat on this one, terrible one-liners, no real villain, no real henchmen I want Willis to take down, horrendous action. Such a waste.

And the funniest thing is that at one point during the car chase, he screams "Yeah? IS THAT YOUR BEST SHOT?" This audio is ripped from the jet fight scene towards the finale of 'Live Free or Die Hard.' No joke.

And his iconic line in the finale of this one? The audio is ripped straight from the usage of it from the third film. I wish I was kidding.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, I never had a problem with 'Live Free or Die Hard' - I enjoyed it and Willis and Long seemed to play off one another pretty well. It had an understandable plot, a central villain, side henchmen with different abilities, etc. 'A Good Day To Die Hard' throws all of that out the window: terrible acting with Willis (somehow) taking the back seat on this one, terrible one-liners, no real villain, no real henchmen I want Willis to take down, horrendous action. Such a waste.

And the funniest thing is that at one point during the car chase, he screams "Yeah? IS THAT YOUR BEST SHOT?" This audio is ripped from the jet fight scene towards the finale of 'Live Free or Die Hard.' No joke.

And his iconic line in the finale of this one? The audio is ripped straight from the usage of it from the third film. I wish I was kidding.

Wow. that's as lazy as reusing Roger's Wilhelm scream multiple times in AVTAK! 8-|
    @Murdock, it is, but I feel like this is even worse. I really don't understand why they had to reuse audio. McClane's even speaking (or at least his mouth is moving) in regards to the latter, aforementioned scene, so why couldn't he just speak it? This whole movie was a mess. Willis doesn't even look like he wants to be there in any of the scenes. He's just mindlessly getting through the scenes and the script so he can pick up his paycheck. Even in a good portion of the interviews I saw him do for this, he seemed very uninterested and bland.
    @Creasy47 I hear that, I saw the interviews and he looked very Bored.
    Murdock wrote:

I guess after witnessing the final product, I can't really blame him. Utter trash, this one.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

I guess after witnessing the final product, I can't really blame him. Utter trash, this one.
    Good thing it's on my Do not watch list.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I will have to watch this sometime, though I don't look forward to it, obviously.

As I said around its release, Bruce looked unenthusiastic on every talk show/interview piece I saw of him, and now I am beginning to understand why. :-&
    I will have to watch this sometime, though I don't look forward to it, obviously.

As I said around its release, Bruce looked unenthusiastic on every talk show/interview piece I saw of him, and now I am beginning to understand why. :-&

It's really too bad he was Typecast as the everyman action hero.
    It can't get any worse than A Good Day to Die Hard. Episode I, Crystal Skull, Rocky V, throw whatever you want at it. Hell even RoboCop 3.
  • I really didn't wanna pick this up on Blu-Ray (or atleast not until it dropped to a decent price) but damn did they make a great looking steelbook for this poor film:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71xJPanD22L._AA1500_.jpg

I'm also somewhat interested in seeing if this 'extended cut' is any better that the theatrical cut, although I doubt it will make the movie any better.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I'll have to watch the extended cut as I believe there's a far better film in there somewhere, trying to get out. Will this version be it?
    @BondWillReturn, after rating it, the extended cut is three minutes and forty seconds longer, and someone said it makes the film worse, because it:
    Cuts out all of Lucy's scenes, for some unknown reason

After that, all it manages to do is have the characters look at places a little longer, and adds a slight bit more to the action at the safe house and a few other places. It's really nothing special or 'extended,' I'd say, since they did that.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Well I've just seen the extended cut and I can't say I enjoyed it any more. I'll have to rewatch the theatrical version too so I can make a fair comparison but the only difference I noticed was that during the car chase he no longer crushes randomers in their cars while talking to Lucy on the phone.

Actually, I've just realised that Lucy wasn't in it at all. That's a bit weird.
  • RikRik Southend
    It's a terrible movie, easily the worst in the series. I only hope number 6 will improve. Maybe it will be like the Rocky series.
    Not very 'extended' then. What else was new? Just added violence?
    Yep, for some reason, the extended edition removes Lucy entirely. I went ahead and bought 'A Good Day To Die Hard' on blu-ray when it was first released because I wanted to complete the collection and there were still a few scenes that were enjoyable, and it was under $20. I don't see a way how the sixth could be worse than this.
    It will feature a retired McClane I bet and take the Rocky Balboa angle and just maybe be a great send-off for this series.