What are you reading?

Comments

I'm finishing The Atheist Guide to Christmas. Great stuff, both intelligent and funny.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Being a follower of "Ath" myself, I have just bought the kindle version of this. :D
    Carol by Patricia Highsmith
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I just read Edgar Allan Poe's short story 'The Cask of Amontillado'. Very good. It gets a reference in the Columbo episode 'Any Old Port in a Storm'.
    Is that the one a guy gets "walled up" ?

Yes, it is indeed, @Thunderpussy.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

That's a great story! Read that as a teen. It just stays with you.
    Pos was a master at his craft.

timmer wrote: »

That's a great story! Read that as a teen. It just stays with you.
    Poe was a master at his craft.

I always remember the episode of the Persuaders, where Lord Brett Sinclair
    ( Sir Roger) told the story of one of his ancestors to Danny Wilde ( Tony Curtis)
    Who did the same thing to a love rival. Danny protests that it's a story from
    Poe.
    Roger then points out, that his ancestor got so drunk he stood on the wrong side
    of the wall, and bricked himself up. :)
  • SerialHitmanSerialHitman Plotting my revenge
    I recently finished reading Kissing Fish by Roger Wolsey. It was recommended to me a few years ago by my religious education teacher back in secondary school. It's written by a Progressive Christian pastor. I've always had an aversion to organised religion, but this book really changed the way I see it and actually helped to quell some of my bitterness against the subject which can only benefit ones state of mind in the long run. One of the most insightful books I've ever read, I would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the subject.
    Three different books right now

Inner Circle Brad Meltzer
    Seafire John Gardner
    And
    One second After (I forgot who wrote it)

We shall see which of the three I like the best I would like to finish 30 books by the time I am 30.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 17,828
    John Gardner's SeaFire is a good one. I hope you enjoy it!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    John Gardner's SeaFire is a good one. I hop you enjoy it!

Like a rabbit, hippety-hop.

My life philosophy is "Hip hop, don't stop!"
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

My life philosophy is "Hip hop, don't stop!"

Well that's their main problem, isn't it? They just don't stop!!
    In the wise words of S Club Seven. " Don't stop moving. To the S Club beat "
    I think we can all find comfort in those words. ;)
    edited December 2015 Posts: 17,828
    I'm currently reading books. I tried eating their pages for a while but simply just reading them seems a lot more civilised.

On a serious note though today I found a thriller named The Devil You Don't (1980) by none other than the late actor Ron Moody. First I'd ever heard of it. It sounds like it has a kind of Licence Renewed (1981) vibe to it, although of course it came first! It should make for some good reading anyhow.
    On a related topic I finally got around to buying a new copy Horowitz's Trigger Mortis HC. Got it for about $21.00 at Amazon, which is well below the roughly $35.00 that bookstores were charging.
    I'd already read a library copy, but figured it was time to buy as price hasn't been coming down.
    However I noticed new hardcovers of Boyd's Solo (2013) could not be bought for much less than $40.00 even from Amazon affiliates , so moral of story is buy these Bond hardcovers when they are new.
    I got burned here as I had been waiting for Solo to hit bargain bins but it never did, now there is no way to get a reasonably priced new HC.
    So I will have to forego the HC, and buy a new paperback to keep my collection intact.
    Just thought I'd share.
    Still reading Stephen King's Bazaar of Bad Dreams short story collection.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Robert B. Parker's Lullaby by Ace Atkins - a Spenser story.
    "You Spenser?"asked the girl in the pink Red Sox cap.
    "The one and only"
    "People say you're tough,"she said.
    "Did they mention handsome and witty?"
    "That you aren't afraid to use a gun."
    "Only when my feelings get hurt."

Robert B. Parker is dead but Spenser most certainly is not.
    Sounds great....
    \m/
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    I've read four books about "Ripley's Believe it or not!". For those unfamiliar with the books, it's basically a GWR book filled with crazy stories instead of records. The name of the books are, as well as their respective color: Dare to Look! (Light green), Reality Shock! (Dark green), Strikingly True! (Red) and Download the Weird (Blue). Here are 5 stories from each book:

Dare to Look:
    An american from Massachusets received the wrong ticket from an unconcentrated employee, but he did not complain and won 7 million from that ticket.

The hottest rain ever recorded fell over California during August 2012 with a temperature of 46 degrees Celsius. But the heat and the dry air caused most of the air to evaporate before hitting the ground.

An earthquake disaster that happened in Missouri during 1812 was so violent that it caused the Mississsippi river to flow backwards for three days and even caused church bells to ring 1600 km away.

A bowhead whale can become over 200 years old and because of it's back's anatomy, it never stops growing.

A welsh pony named Crunchie must sleep on a pile of wrinkled paper, because he suffers from hay fever.

Reality Shock:
    A sleepy German banker fell asleep with a finger resting on the key "2" on his keyboard, which resulted in a transfer of 62 € becoming 222 222 222,22 €.

A German car mechanic missed the last bus home and had drunk so much beer that he almost unknowingly went to a stable and crawled up onto a horse's back and fell asleep, while the horse was still standing up.

After having robbed a woman at a parking lot in Melbourne, Australia, the 64-year old thief got caught almost immediately as he was too slow when he was loading his walker into his car.

Herbert Jenkins in Detroit, USA, is the only member in the Assistant Supervisors of Street Maintenance and Construction Association.

On the morning of April the 1st, inhabitants of the town Sitka, Alaska, could see a thick black pillar of smoke coming out of the volcano Mount Edgecumbe. The volcano had been inactive for thousands of years, and people started to panic. A coast guard helicopter was sent to take a closer look, and what the pilot saw almost made him die of laughter. A pile of 70 car tires were burning and in the snow could letters be seen saying 'April Fools!'.

There are only 22 countries England has not colonised: Guatemala, Bolivia, Paraguay, Luxembourg, Liecthenstein, Belarus, Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City, São Tomé and Príncipe, Sweden, Uzbekistan, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Mali, Ivory Coast, Tchad, Central African Republic, Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo and the Marshall Islands.

Download the Weird:
    Two years after he had been fined for speeding in London, the man had emigrated to New Zeeland were he again was fined for speeding - by the same policeman who stopped him in England! Just like the surprised driver, the policeman had recently emigrated to New Zeeland.

The american bill printing works "Bureau of Printing and Engraving" had made over a billion 100 $ bills that became completely worthless when the bills creased during the printing process.

It took 3 years for the first american mint to incuse 1 million coins. Today, the mint in Philadelphia can incuse the same amount of coins in 30 minutes.

During January the 31st, 2011 a woman unintentionally drove into an Insurance Company in Tampa, Florida. Conveniently, said Insurance Company was also responsible for her car Insurance.

A fisherman in Mexico caught something that could be completely unique: An albino bullshark with one eye placed directly on it's forehead. He originally caught the mother who had 10 babies and one of them was the albino "cyclop" shark.

Strikingly True:
    The firing in connection with the first World War ceased in 1918, but the war wasn't officially over until October the 3rd, 2010. Germany paid that day the last remaining payment in accordance with the war reparations Germany was ordered to pay at the Peace Treaty of Versailles in 1919. The payment would have happened a lot sooner if Hitler hadn't opposed the agreement.

The entire police force of 15 people in the hungarian city of Budaors immediately resigned after winning 100 million at the lottery.

In the four-digit lottery in Pennsylvania March the 31st 2010, the numbers drawn were 7777 and the jackpot was 7,77 million $.

The language Rotokas, spoken in Bougainville on Papua New Guinea only has 12 letters in the alphabet, namely A E G I K O P R S T U and V.

A 60-year old woman who lives in a suburb to Stockholm shares her apartment with her mother, her sister, her son - and 191 cats.

• Just Bought :
    the ones in bold were either free or very cheap on the kindle store and i went a bit nuts, had to scale the list back a bit as i bought so many.
    The Witness by Simon Kernick
    Even by Andrew Grant (Lee Child's brother)
    The Murder Exchange by Simon kernick
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
    Romeo and Juliet (only because i'm studying it ) by William Shakespeare
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
    Trigger Mortis by Anthony Horowitz on kindle (even though i already have a signed copy and a waterstones edition)
    Prime Suspect by Lynda La Plante
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Run Girl by Eva Hudson
    Closure by Randall Wood
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
    Deep Sleepers by Adrian Wills
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I picked up Stephen King's 'Firestarter' and '11/22/63' (getting very close to finishing off Dad's collection of Stephen King novels), four or five more Ian Fleming Bond novels from the same publisher I've been looking for, and 'Colonel Sun' finally, which I plan on reading soon. Was going to do a big Bond reading marathon, of sorts, but I still have two or three from that publisher I need to buy before I have them all, and I've been itching to give 'Colonel Sun' a try finally after all this time. Also looking into picking up Clive Barker's 'The Hellbound Heart,' and if I love it (which I can only assume I will), following it up with 'The Scarlet Gospels.' Has anyone read the original novella and it's newer follow up that would have an opinion on this?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    @Creasy47 Clive Barker's The Damnation Game is a damn fine read. Read it many years ago, way before Hellraiser came out, think it is probably his best book.
    It was cheap and it's one of the only older releases that Dad didn't have a copy of (last time we had talked about it, he told me he let someone borrow his copy and never got it back), so I had to get it, and I've been interested in '11/22/63' for a long time, especially now that it's finally available in paperback. I need to get that short story collection, too, along with 'Doctor Sleep.'
    I've been reading The Subtle Knife. Want to finish what I started reading when I was younger. Also reading Christopher Vogler's "The Writer's Journey." And The Familiar Vol. 1. That one's pretty strange, but I'm sure it will get stranger.
    @Birdleson, when I started out, I wanted to get through his smaller novels first and save the more grand/epic releases of his for later on, but I've been aching to get into some classics like 'The Shining' and 'The Dark Tower' series, so I may jump to one of those next. I've no idea; I'm way too indecisive when it comes to selecting things at times, so I'll grab something at random and start reading again before too much time passes and I've fallen out of it once more. I have countless King novels, all the Fleming novels I want to re-read, quite a few Bond continuation novels, and then some random series of books that I've started up before and enjoyed.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Cassandra Sanction by Scott Mariani, more blood and guts mayhem from the page-turning, bone-crunching, action-adventure world of ex SAS major Ben Hope. Love it!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Gettler wrote: »
    I've been reading The Subtle Knife. Want to finish what I started reading when I was younger. Also reading Christopher Vogler's "The Writer's Journey." And The Familiar Vol. 1. That one's pretty strange, but I'm sure it will get stranger.
    Is that the Dark Materials books? They are excellent. Fancy a re-read.
    The Cassandra Sanction by Scott Mariani, more blood and guts mayhem from the page-turning, bone-crunching, action-adventure world of ex SAS major Ben Hope. Love it!

I've read a few of these, but I was put off by one particularly gruesome chapter where a pregnant woman was tortured. Didn't like that and I'm not squeamish.
    Brad Meltzer The Inner Circle I absolutly love this novel and wish Meltzer would take on 007 but sadly i think i's a long sho at this point.
    Currently 5 books into the Craig Johnson Walt Longmire books, well worth your time.