What are you reading?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Reading 'Dune' again. Astonishing piece of work.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RC7 wrote: »
    Reading 'Dune' again. Astonishing piece of work.
    As long as it s better than the film...

Reading U2 THE COMPLETE STORY.

Being a huge U2 fan since the early 80s, I just had to buy this. Lots of tidbits, discography and reviews. I learn something new on every page.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    *shudders* U2. If I never hear another one of their songs, it'll be too soon.
    Just for you, then.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Currently reading Doctor Who and the Loch Ness Monster.

Nothing beats a good Zygon tale.

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    SaintMark wrote: »

Nothing beats a good Zygon tale.

Quite agree.

RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA by Arthur C. Clarke (1973)

Have only read the four Odyssey novels by him before, but this is the best, for me, since 2001-A Space Odyssey.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA by Arthur C. Clarke (1973)

Have only read the four Odyssey novels by him before, but this is the best, for me, since 2001-A Space Odyssey.

This is in my 'to read' pile (and a big pile it is too!), have only read A Fall of Moondust.
    And would you recommend that one, @Lancaster007?
    @Thunderfinger - yes I would. Very much of its time (i.e. women are really secondary characters), but a good read and makes me want to read more ACC, whereas Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree Jr made me want to steer well clear of anything else she wrote!
    BONESHAKER by Cherie Priest, as far as I'm aware, the first SteamPunk novel I've read. Enjoying it so far.
    THE COMPLETE FICTION OF H. P. LOVECRAFT (Knickerbocker Classics), first time I've read any Lovecraft, about a dozen short stories into and at the moment it's okay. The kind of collection that should be dipped into now and again as opposed to reading it all in one (huge) go.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm currently reading John Gardner's Brokenclaw (1990) and enjoying it so far.
    The Martini Shot by George Pelecanos.
    THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE by Philip Kindred Dick (1962)

PKD may be the best sci-fi writer ever. Too bad he was never recognized during his lifetime.(He died shortly before Blade Runner made him a cult classic)

The backdrop for this story is that the Axis Powers won the war. USA is divided in three. The Japanese rule the East Coast, Asia and South America. They are desribed mostly as benign rulers. The Middle States are autonomous, while the Germans rule the West Coast, Europe and Africa (where they have wiped out the population.)

The Germans are depicted as pure evil. Hitler is in a madhouse at this point, and the new Chancellor Martin Bormann is dying, making room for a power struggle between the rest of the nazi top brass.

Funny thing: There is a novel referenced in the book, that desribes an alternative history, one where the Allied forces won the war.

Philip K. Dick always questions reality in his books, and this may be the best I have read by him so far. So many themes woven into the story.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE by Philip Kindred Dick (1962)

PKD may be the best sci-fi writer ever. Too bad he was never recognized during his lifetime.(He died shortly before Blade Runner made him a cult classic)

The backdrop for this story is that the Axis Powers won the war. USA is divided in three. The Japanese rule the East Coast, Asia and South America. They are desribed mostly as benign rulers. The Middle States are autonomous, while the Germans rule the West Coast, Europe and Africa (where they have wiped out the population.)

The Germans are depicted as pure evil. Hitler is in a madhouse at this point, and the new Chancellor Martin Bormann is dying, making room for a power struggle between the rest of the nazi top brass.

Funny thing: There is a novel referenced in the book, that desribes an alternative history, one where the Allied forces won the war.

Philip K. Dick always questions reality in his books, and this may be the best I have read by him so far. So many themes woven into the story.

A truly great book!

And do you know it has been adapted for a 10 episode series? It's bloody brilliant by the way. You have to see it.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zzayf9GpXCI"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Didn t know that. Sounds interesting.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 14,844
    Les morsures de l'aube by Tonino Benacquista. They adapted it into a movie I have not seen, titled Love Bites in English. Benacquista is a great crime writer, although you gotta love surrealism. His plots are always a bit out there.
    "Some Kind Of Hero" Very interesting read. Just reached Chapter 25.
    The Odin Mission by James Holland. First in the Jack Tanner series. Having just finished Mr Holland's brilliant new history of WW2 [The War in The West vol. 1], thought I'd give his fiction a go too. So far very good.
    The Odin Mission by James Holland. First in the Jack Tanner series. Having just finished Mr Holland's brilliant new history of WW2 [The War in The West vol. 1], thought I'd give his fiction a go too. So far very good.

No doubt a brother of Bill Tanner's. :)
    The Heist Daniel Silva .... Get this man to write a modern bond thriller tomorrow!!
    Dragonpol wrote: »

No doubt a brother of Bill Tanner's. :)

Ha ha. I didn't even think of that!
    Risico007 wrote: »
    The Heist Daniel Silva .... Get this man to write a modern bond thriller tomorrow!!

And whose brother is this, then?
    Risico007 wrote: »

And whose brother is this, then?

I didn't want to bring it up again on this thread! :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Thunder Point by Jack Higgins, the second in his Sean Dillon series. A very good thriller. Admittedly, I didn't know much about The Duke of Windsor, before Thunder Point.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Birdleson

I have tried to read Salem's Lot THREE times and never passed page 100. I find that book dreadfully dull and overstuffed on character setups in its first many chapters.
  • Finished the Jack Reacher books now so moving on to Harry Bosch with The Burning Room by Michael Connelly.
    Salems Lot is one of my favorite king Novels.

Currently reading the latest Charlie Parker novel by John Connolly, and excellent series by a great writer.

Next up Daniel Silva, Le Carre of Karin Slaughter
    Just finished Scott Mariani's latest Ben Hope novel Star of Africa, first of a two-part adventure. Possibly the most shockingly violent Ben Hope book so far. And have just started Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination, which if it's half as good as The Demolished Man then I'm in for a treat!