What are you reading?

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 1,874
    After 'rescuing' a box of early Stephen King's books from the attic of my house (where I no longer live) I've started to re-read them.
    Carrie - fantastic start to a brilliant career!
    And have just started 'Salem's Lot, as with the first 5 King's I have this paperback is more than 35 years old, and although they are in very good condition, because the glue used for binding back then wasn't the best (from The Dead Zone on the glue is more 'elastic') some of the pages have started to fall out as I'm reading it. Which is causing me some anxiety!

EDIT: the book has actually fallen in two! more pages falling out, this is not good. Upset now.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Last read Salem's Lot as a teen, after seeing the TV special with David Soul. Brilliant
    Book, so good !
    Galveston by Nic Pizzolatto. Liking it so far (I'm about one third through it).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Having finished A Drink With The Devil about a fortnight ago, today I moved onto the next Sean Dillon book by Jack Higgins, The President's Daughter.
    A Feast for Crows - that fat bloke. What went wrong? The previous books were great page turners, but this is just filled with uninteresting new characters, sub-plots (that go nowhere) and people with stupid names. Seriously thinking about abandoning this series now and just concentrate on the TV series, which I love.
    The Secret War - Max Hastings, a book about spies, codes and guerrillas 1939-1945, and to quote Mr Hastings in the forward - "It is often said that Ian Fleming's thrillers bear no relationship to the real world of espionage. However, when reading contemporary Soviet reports and recorded conversations, together with the memoirs of Moscow's wartime intelligence officers, I am struck by how uncannily they mirror the mad, monstrous, imagined dialogue of such people in Fleming's From Russia With Love. And the plots planned and executed by the NKVD and the GRU were no less fantastic than his."
    The James Bond Archive - edited by Paul Duncan. I've had this since publication, and obviously have looked through it from time to time, but am now reading it seriously, from cover to cover. A huge, heavy tome full of great images and words, and I'm loving it!
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,622
    After 'rescuing' a box of early Stephen King's books from the attic of my house (where I no longer live) I've started to re-read them.
    Carrie - fantastic start to a brilliant career!
    And have just started 'Salem's Lot, as with the first 5 King's I have this paperback is more than 35 years old, and although they are in very good condition, because the glue used for binding back then wasn't the best (from The Dead Zone on the glue is more 'elastic') some of the pages have started to fall out as I'm reading it. Which is causing me some anxiety!

EDIT: the book has actually fallen in two! more pages falling out, this is not good. Upset now.

Finished the very satisfying conclusion to the Hodges trilogy, End of Watch.
    Played out real well I think.
    I'm all caught up with the recent books. Think I have read the last 10 titles or so.
    Haven't read much of the early stuff other than Salem's Lot, and first two Dark Towers.
    Thinking of sampling the early classics. Can't believe it took me all this time to discover King in a big way. I read the Dark Half way back, liked it, but didn't pick up another.
    A few years back, I picked up the JFK 11/22/63 just to see what his spin was on that fateful day in Dallas.
    Couldn't put it down which drove me to start grabbing the new titles.

==recently reading latest adventure of Remo Williams.
    The Destroyer series went on hiatus as of 2008, but original author, Warren Murphy revived it with the Destroyer #150 The End of the World in 2012, which was his last Destroyer before he died last year.
    But a new author RJ Carter, who is excellent and a protege of the master, has picked up with #151 Bully Pulpit (2016) with the Masters of Sinaju battling knockoff ISIS types and Remo carrying on with an Israeli agent, whom I have envisaged as Wonder Woman actress, Gal Gadot, based on the sexed-up book description.
    Murphy apparently also wrote a short novella post 2008, in which Remo hilariously works as a Lady Ga Ga knockoff's bodyguard.
    Its only available as an ebook. Will have to dust off the kindle and download.

==Also read the first in Jim Mullaney's (former Murphy Destroyer collaborator) Red Menace series, #1 Red and Buried. Reads just like a Destroyer, not surprisingly.
    Great over-the-top adventure. Girls guns humour and intrigue.
    Series is set in the cold war circa early'70s. Mullaney's Destroyer inspired scathing humour is relentless. Soviets on the receiving end. Castro is skewered.
    Our hero manages to rid the world of both Castro and Idi Amin in the first book. Well done!
    Good escapist adventure from the Destroyer's best continuation author.

518vidmUfIL.jpg

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
    Mammoth three volume novel but ripping through it at the moment. His writing style is captivating, the plot intriguing and characters wonderfully realised. It's the best book I've read all year. Murakami is my girlfriend's favourite author and this is her favourite book of his.

I alternate between a Bond book and a non-Bond. Next one is going to be John Gardner's 'For Special Services' (I'm going through the continuation novels in sequence. Have read a couple before many years ago)
  • When The Music's Over by Peter Robinson - the new DCI Banks novel.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Numero Zero by Umberto Eco (2013)

Smart, exciting and funny. The freemason lodge P2, NATO terror network Gladio, the murder of Pope John Paul I, a coup planned by the Italian noble family Borghese and more. An Italian translator stumbles over it all in the 90s.

For some strange reason, Eco reminds me of 19th century Russian writer Nikolai Gogol, who died young and didn t write much.

Recommended.
    I'm reading,on my kindle at the moment :
    1) non fiction : Roman Polanski & Sharon Tate
    2) fiction : Jeeves and Wooster...
    Storm Front - Jim Butcher
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    2001: A Space Odyssey. Long have I hunted for this one (about a year or two). I was lucky enough to bump into it yesterday.

If only I could have found the movie. C'est la vie. Guess I'll have to settle for my copy of the 1959 Ben-Hur, which I also managed to get as well!
    THE SECRET TEACHINGS OF ALL AGES

An encyclopedic outline of masonic, hermetic, qabbalistic and rosicrucian symbolical philosophy. This book was written by 33rd degree Freemason Manly P. Hall and first came out in 1928. Over 1000 pages.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

An encyclopedic outline of masonic, hermetic, qabbalistic and rosicrucian symbolical philosophy. This book was written by 33rd degree Freemason Manly P. Hall and first came out in 1928. Over 1000 pages.

Sounds like one for the beach..!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Do you want me to inscribe your copy?
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I want you to inscribe the original Mona Lisa instead. Do it tomorrow.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I want you to inscribe the original Mona Lisa instead. Do it tomorrow.

I certainly will. Could you sign the little red book for me?
    It s not the same, but I sure will.
    Ive just finished A feast for crows and I quite enjoyed it, especially Briennes story. I finished the previous book a few years ago so Im not upset at the deviation of the northern story. Better written than the show too. Now Im on this horror novel "Skin" by Patrick Logan.
    Darkest Hour - James Holland. Book two in the Sgt Jack Tanner series. Another cracking WW2 adventure, this one leading to Dunkirk.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Live By Night - Dennis Lehane
    The Prisoner's Gold - Chris Kusneski. Third in the Hunters series. Like these better than the Jones and Payne books, although this one seems to be heading in that direction, which would be a shame.
    I Am Legend (1954) Richard Matheson. Just started but what a brilliant read. Can't believe I've never read this before, his writing is just awesome, and you can see his influence on a certain Stephen King.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I Am Legend (1954) Richard Matheson. Just started but what a brilliant read. Can't believe I've never read this before, his writing is just awesome, and you can see his influence on a certain Stephen King.

That's a great read. I couldn't believe how good it was when I first read it. No film has ever done it justice.
  • Night School By Lee Child
    The Recruit By Robert Muchamore
    Hurricane Gold
    Icarus by Deon Meyer.
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd Agatha Christie
    After watching the Hannibal tv series I decided it was time to re-read "Red Dragon" in which we meet Will Graham the one who caught Hannibal Lecter. Even if that cameo only lasts 6 pages.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 2,107
    Stephen King's Joyland. It's been slow read for me thus far and I've read a couple of Bond novels in the mean time. It's been though to read, mainly because the time I started rhis novel, I was thrown in the middle of family argument and when I pick up from where I was left, the bad memories just surface. The book also touches broken relationships. So there's that.