What are you reading?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2015 Posts: 17,813
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Are you getting any good tips?

It was a small filling station with a small quantity of books catering for a wide audience. The cashier did look at me a tad funny when I gave him this book to scan after telling him I had £60.00 of Diesel at Pump 6 ("the one with the horse box" said I). I can't imagine why...

Lol ..that's wrong.

It was all a joke by the way. ;)

Watch this:

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    So...Anyway
    Autobiography of some guy who was supposed to be funny.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2015 Posts: 12,459
    The Black Echo, by Michael Connelly.
    A Harry Bosch novel (first one in the series; 1992)

This is the first Bosch story I've read and I did enjoy it. I like the way he portrays the character. I've now jumped (just 'cause I felt like it; I normally don't do that in a series with a continuing lead character) to 10 years later and bought City of Bones (2002). One third of the way through it and I am enjoying it. I think Connelly is a good writer for the genre (detective/thriller).

Has anybody here read these Harry Bosch stories? What did you think?
    Just finished Strangers on a Train. reading The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories for my horror season.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Helvetesilden (The hellfire) by Karin Fossum.

Latest Konrad Sejer novel. I am on a Fossum streak.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    The Bible. Good read good guy dies in the end. Real shame.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

@SirHilaryBray

I hope they make a video game. Open world.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

This is the first Bosch story I've read and I did enjoy it. I like the way he portrays the character. I've now jumped (just 'cause I felt like it; I normally don't do that in a series with a continuing lead character) to 10 years later and bought City of Bones (2002). One third of the way through it and I am enjoying it. I think Connelly is a good writer for the genre (detective/thriller).

I've read a couple. Really good. He creates his own mini universe where main characters from his series cross over. Always meant to get stuck in to Connelly in a big way.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 14,838

I read a few. Fun reads, very suspenseful, good page turners and Connelly knows how to write great characters and atmosphere. That said, I find him inferior to George Pelecanos, who is to me the greatest living crime writer.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    For Special Services. I'm on chapter 4, but I must say that there's nothing convincing me to go on. Licence Renewed was not outstanding either, but at least it was more flowing.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Walecs wrote: »
    For Special Services. I'm on chapter 4, but I must say that there's nothing convincing me to go on. Licence Renewed was not outstanding either, but at least it was more flowing.

Read these on original release. Not impressed and didn't read anymore. Nun said!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Don't you worry, word has come out the third part of the trilogy has been finally written!
    (Dutch: http://speld.nl/2015/08/29/spannende-bijbel-trilogie-eindelijk-voltooid/)

In short, it will be about what happens after the end of times (the end of part two). We will know what God will do, and how things ended up for Maria Magalene.

Should be a cracking read. Just a pity it took them over 1500 years to write it.
    @CommanderRoss, I'm laughing so hard... :-)
    Dust and Shadow: An Account of The Ripper Killings by Dr John H Watson, Lindsay Faye. So far, so Sherlock. A good Holmes/Ripper novel combining Conan Doyle's detective with the real-life Whitechapel murders, not a new idea, but very well…executed!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2015 Posts: 12,459
    First, actually in the Bible the good guy does not really die (permanently). That's sort of the point of the whole story ... ;)

Second, thanks for the feedback on Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch stories! I appreciate it, @NicNac and @Ludovico. I just finished City of Bones and did enjoy it. I'll try to read all of them; I love a good series. I will definitely check out George Pelecanos, @Ludovico. Thanks. :)
    All of Connelly's books are playing in the same world, his " Lincoln Lawyer" novel is the first in a series about a lawyer that also stars Bosch, and that series is five books in and a bloody brilliant series as well.
    Connelly's books are well worth your time.
    The Roundheads by Mark Gatiss. A Doctor Who novel (from 1997, I think), featuring the Second Doctor (my favourite), Jamie, Ben and Polly. Part of the History Collection imprint.
    First, actually in the Bible the good guy does not really die (permanently). That's sort of the point of the whole story ... ;)

Shouldn't you have put that between spoiler tags? You know people have been waiting for part three for hundreds of years? :-P
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham
    At The Mountains of Madness, The Call of Cthulhu and The Music of Erich Zann
    Lovecraft, H. P.
    Trigger Mortis by Anthony Horowitz. It's good so far…
    @MrLunn

Excellent choice! I'm a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan myself and The Call Of Cthulhu is, IMO, his best story ever written. It keeps getting better the more I read it. Mountains Of Madness is another epic achievement of his. I certainly hope they'll get a film version made someday...
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @MrLunn

Excellent choice! I'm a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan myself and The Call Of Cthulhu is, IMO, his best story ever written. It keeps getting better the more I read it. Mountains Of Madness is another epic achievement of his. I certainly hope they'll get a film version made someday...

Never read any Lovecraft - but I've a feeling I really should.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2015 Posts: 17,813
    I'm currently reading a very interesting hardback book I got recently called Tariri: My Story from Jungle Killer to Christian Missionary (1965) written by Ethel Emily Wallis from the translated words of the Peruvian tribal leader Tariri.

513ZSQ5HYmL._SX337_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • James Chapman's Licence To Thrill. Found it in a second hand bookstore here in Barcelona, and for 2€ it looked like a good bargain. Any opinions about it?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,009
    Fixed

The only right answer for the moment, if you are a James Bond fan.

:D
    The ghost stories of Edith Wharton.
    SaintMark wrote: »

Finished: Really enjoyed it. On now to Stephen King's latex paperback, Revival.
    SaintMark wrote: »

Finished: Really enjoyed it. On now to Stephen King's latex paperback, Revival.

Finished it as well, very enjoyable and also to Stephen King - Finders Keepers albeit in hardcover.
    Ah, @SaintMark, waiting for that one in paperback, really enjoyed Mr Mercedes, so looking forward to Finders Keepers.