Metal Gear Solid (1987 - present)

Comments

• edited July 2012 Posts: 4,813
    I never bothered going for 'Big Boss'-- a man has to know his limitations, lol

But I did do a playthrough without killing anyone. You earn something just for doing that by itself (can't remember if it's the bandana or stealth- something though)

Actually I just remembered that there are some non-lethal shotgun shells, which are pretty effective :-bd
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited July 2012 Posts: 7,854
    Tranquilizer guns (or any 'blue' weapon in the menu). It's a huge pain
    You have tried I presume? It seems downright evil of Konami to do that.

It is, in no way, difficult. Vamp, in fact, is quite easy to defeat with the Solar Gun.
    But I did do a playthrough without killing anyone. You earn something just for doing that by itself (can't remember if it's the bandana or stealth- something though)

Bandanna.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Favorite Metal Gear boss fight? Mine is MG REX versus MG RAY.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    The End by a land slide.....followed closely by The Boss. Amazing how they both come from MGS3
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 4,813
    I remember being away in college when MGS3 came out- I bought it opening day and had to wait until Christmas break to play it because the PS2 was at home :((

Torture!

Still my favorite one of the series!
    The whole series is my favorite.

MGS1 - First game I played
    MGS2 - Great thinking man's plot
    MGS3 - Beautiful story of betrayal
    MPO (Portable Ops) - Awesome portable action and a story of soldiers
    MGS4 - Most emotional story
    MPW (Peace Walker) - Big Boss's best game
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    With regards to most emotional, it's definitely between MGS3 and MGS4. If I think about it, MGS4 was really emotional during the first play through but MGS3 is continuously emotional.
    MGS3, for me, doesn't strike the emotional chord (even on my original playthrough) until around Groznyj Grad. There, Naked Snake truly becomes Big Boss, to me. Up until then, he's halfway between Raiden and Solid Snake, meaning he's not a rookie but he's not a seasoned operative. Once Big Boss is in Groznyj Grad, he's killed off the Cobra Unit and he's seen how EVA feels about him, which I feel matures him as a character. I don't think this is any more evident than the scene in the cave, behind the waterfall. By then, I think he's finally realized The Boss's determination.
    Anybody else getting Trophies, now that the patch has arrived?
    SNAKE IS BACK! Announced at the 25th Anniversary Event in Tokyo, Japan, METAL GEAR SOLID: Ground Zeroes is a new title in the METAL GEAR franchise built on the FOX Engine!

So glad to have some solid news on gaming!!!!
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 153
    SNAKE IS BACK! Announced at the 25th Anniversary Event in Tokyo, Japan, METAL GEAR SOLID: Ground Zeroes is a new title in the METAL GEAR franchise built on the FOX Engine!

So glad to have some solid news on gaming!!!!

HALLELUJAH!

To tell you the truth, I really was ashamed to root for Raiden, especially with Rising coming. I dunno. He kicked butt in MGS4, but Kojima's deception at MGS2 is something I prefer to bury in the deepest recesses of my mind. But THIS! This is my headline. I'd prefer MGR to be a side bonus.
    Our problem here is that we have no idea if this is Solid Snake or Big Boss. The leaked image had a character wearing an eye patch, with no bandanna, and a sneaking suit carrying both the MSF (Militares Sans Frontires) and FOX logos, and sneaking into an American military facility.
    It's also been announced that Avi Arad and Sony will be producing a MG movie.
    Our problem here is that we have no idea if this is Solid Snake or Big Boss. The leaked image had a character wearing an eye patch, with no bandanna, and a sneaking suit carrying both the MSF (Militares Sans Frontires) and FOX logos, and sneaking into an American military facility.

Show me this leaked picture you speak if, please. It sounds....titillating.
    Our problem here is that we have no idea if this is Solid Snake or Big Boss.
    I'm leaning towards Big Boss
    It's big boss!

2oM9e.jpg

x5wvD.jpg
    edited August 2012 Posts: 784

I noticed it too...to me it's gotta be Big Boss! Hopefully we will be able to fight Solid Snake though.

Here is the photo;

228561_10151012947810986_371924739_n.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You can see the tiniest hint of a cut under the right eye.
    MSF badge on the shoulder too
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Not a huge MGS fanboy, but the idea sounds cool. I am not an MGS expert, but the title makes me think about Zero, the founder of The Patriots, so maybe there are others like him out there that had the same idea. Just spitballing. I would be interested to hear the ideas of the real fans on here.
    BigBoss.jpg
    Y'see, I think it's Big Boss, partly because I want more Big Boss games, and partly because I don't want a young Solid Snake game unless it's a remake of Metal Gear 1 or set at any point after it and before MGS4.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 4,813
    It's Big Boss
    But as for the game, it's called Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, stars Big Boss again (presumably just before he founds Outer Heaven), it's for current gen consoles, and it runs on a new engine developed by creator Hideo Kojima and crew called Fox, which is by all accounts very cool and pretty and stuff. Of course, the graphics of the MGS games have never been the problem, it's been the terrible movement/combat controls, especially when compared to infinitely more intuitive sneaking games like Splinter Call and such. It's 2012. It's been 25 years. It would be really, really cool if Snake could actually move and shoot at the same time. Just sayin'.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 4,813

Terrible movement/combat controls? When was the last time this person played a Metal Gear game?

Move and shoot at the same time?

By way of moving the damn stick and the weapon button: MG1
    By way of moving the damn stick and the weapon button: MG2
    By way of the crawl and weapon buttons: MGS1
    By way of the lock-on and weapon buttons: MGS2
    By way of moving the damn stick and the weapon button: MGS3
    By way of moving the damn stick and the aim button: MPO
    By way of moving the damn stick and the aim button: MGS4
    By way of moving the damn stick and the aim button: MPW

Really, no ability to move and shoot at the same time? WHAT DID I JUST DETAIL?!

And MGS3 is the first game where the top-down perspective was in any way an interference, and they fixed that in Subsistence, and we've had the 3D camera ever since! MGS4 allows you to stalk, walk slowly, walk, jog and run - just like in Splinter Cell! The only thing you can't do in any Metal Gear game are the stupidly limber moves that Sam Fisher seems to be capable of, which I'm glad Snake can't do.

So, I'd really like to know, did the author of that quote ever play a Metal Gear game? And if so, which one was it? Snake's Revenge?
    The movement and combat controls in MGS4 are horrid. I agree with some of what has been said.
    How? They work very well! They work just like Blood Stone, just like the last couple Syphon Filters, just like... well, almost every third-person shooter now adays!
    How? They work very well! They work just like Blood Stone, just like the last couple Syphon Filters, just like... well, almost every third-person shooter now adays!
    Is that a joke? The movement is one of the worst parts of the game...at least the parts where it actually lets me play! I know Snake is old and deteriorating, but speed it up grandpa, geez.
    :-L
    What do you mean? He runs at a pretty good pace considering I'm pretty sure the game's only running at 30fps.
    the controls are very easy to use..what are you talking about? Go play GTA, now that is horrible controls.
    the controls are very easy to use..what are you talking about? Go play GTA, now that is horrible controls.

GTA wins by default, considering I play that game more than I have to watch it.